New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Honor Codes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Honor Codes

A great question i face while wanting to play restricted characters (paladins,monks,samurai (OA) etc...) for role play value is how to follow the honor code with out walking into obvious traps, or being a jerk to those less restricted in behavior... ie: if the rouge starts to lie cheat and steal and I'm the paladin, not having to lecture him about the errors of his ways (as to oppose to killing him)....(people who lecture others constantly get made fun of in character because anything outside of lectures would break their code...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Honor Codes

Any character with a code will be mocked by those without a code. It's just like when those bastard children push around janitors knowing they can't legally push back.
    It's great because you become they bigger man by simply smiling, and letting them punish themselves.

Ex: In a game where I was a paladin, a bard was constantly mocking my ways. I was okay with it, we were friends. Then, when he got his ass kicked for hitting on a smith's wife, I kindly helped him back to his feet afterwards, then let him walk into a trap beleiving it to be safe.
    All non-life threatening situations, but those who mock the code will suffer on their own. Though it is always nicer to help them out, they need to learn that in order for them to gain your trust and help, they need to respect your life style as you have grown to respect theirs.
    That, and whenever that bar fight comes up you can always lay-on-hands the NPC if he's just barely losing XD.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

For every Paladin, I have to post this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asimov
    Never let your morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    If the Rogue is lying to the guards to try to get into the BBEG's castle so you can save the realm, then let it slide, because other things have forced him into those actions. However, you do have to object morally to certain acts by them, even when doing so doesn't work with the party. Anything else breaks immersion. In one game, I was working with the local guards investigating the trail of murders being left by another PC. I was present at both his arrest and execution, and everyone involved loved that storyline. So yes, take him to the side after the session, and have a private in-character discussion about how his recent acts are vile, immoral, and wrong, and you cannot accept dealing with him if he continues (obviously, don't lay down the ultimatum unless you have to). Then, either he changes, you leave the party, or he does. There may be violence. Yes, that's the problem with playing a good character in a game where someone may be evil, and being a Paladin just exacerbates it, but such is life. Some people just don't get along.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    A great question i face while wanting to play restricted characters (paladins,monks,samurai (OA) etc...) for role play value is how to follow the honor code with out walking into obvious traps, or being a jerk to those less restricted in behavior... ie: if the rouge starts to lie cheat and steal and I'm the paladin, not having to lecture him about the errors of his ways (as to oppose to killing him)....(people who lecture others constantly get made fun of in character because anything outside of lectures would break their code...)
    If your makeup kit starts lying, you've got a problem. I'll assume you meant "rogue" there.

The problem with the paladin isn't the "Code of Conduct" section, it's the "Associates" section. There's nothing inherantly wrong with following a moral code that applies to yourself, but the Paladin text specifically puts limits on others around him, and that IS a problem. Simply snipping that bit of text will go a long way towards fixing it. More generally, make any sort of official code a matter of internal self-discipline, rather than something to be forced onto others. A Druid vows never to wear metal armor but doesn't complain when the Fighter does; in the same way, a person with a vow to always speak the truth shouldn't be horrified when the rogue uses deception. They might not approve, but then again a Frenzied Berzerker might not approve of the Bard defusing a potential combat with diplomacy and robbing him of some fun. Characters don't have to agree, as long as they can get along.

5. - Top - End - #5

sorry i am tired and said rouge instead of rogue.... (not being defensive or sarcastic just tired....)

please fogive me people of the thread for i have sinned... and called a rogue a rouge... although it gives me a cool character name for a NPC.... Hurah optimism!
    Spoiler
    Show

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    sorry i am tired and said rouge instead of rogue.... (not being defensive or sarcastic just tired....)

please fogive me people of the thread for i have sinned... and called a rogue a rouge... although it gives me a cool character name for a NPC.... Hurah optimism!
    No problem, it's just one of those little things that bothers me purely because it's such a common mistake.

Anyway, have the posts helped?

7. - Top - End - #7

yes they have in fact... by applying this new found knowledge i now know how to play a morally restricted class and not be the one giving out homework and lectures on morals...
    Last edited by quiet1mi; 2008-04-30 at 12:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show