New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Wolf LA

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Wolf LA

Just curious, what LA would the community give to an awakened wolf?

Personally, I'm thinking a +1 at the most.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

2. - Top - End - #2

MindFlayer

Default Re: Wolf LA

considering how an awakened beast has two magical animal hit dice (assuming said wolf was awakened by a druid) then I would agree with it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

+0. No opposable thumbs (so no wielding weapons, scrolls, wands, lock picks, holy symbols, etc.), the cost of custom-made equipment and natural humanoid prejudice against "that talking dog" = major disadvantage.

4. - Top - End - #4

Two things: one, it'll have 4 magical beast HD, so yeah, that's a lot of racial HD, and two, you can easily get around the no weapon thing. Gloves of Man (SS), monk, etc. And you have a bite. Though I might change my mind to a +0. If it is a +1, it's a weak +1. Stupid racial HD. Custom equipment is a valid point though.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

5. - Top - End - #5

I think it'd then depend on the mental ability scores you get from rolling 3 3d6s. If you *maximise* them, then it'd be something along LA +5/+6 (+8 to all mental ability scores, yay). Although if you take the average value (10-11) then it'd be more like LA +0/+1 at the most.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

6. - Top - End - #6

Uh, only the int is rolled. Cha is a mere +1d3, and wis stays. And I was thinking of taking average, as the campaign I might do this for is PB.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Uh, only the int is rolled. Cha is a mere +1d3, and wis stays. And I was thinking of taking average, as the campaign I might do this for is PB.
    Technically, Wisdom can be considered to be 3D6 as well, if its a character. The racial Wisdom of a wolf is simply its average.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Oh, so it's different from Awaken Construct then. Oh well, I think it'd work well as LA +0 then.
    Keith Baker, on the age of Erandis d'Vol:
    Spoiler
    Show

... The miniature of her certainly makes her look older, but personally I like young Erandis both on the basis that the purge of the line started before she could grow into her full powers, and also because it lets her and Jaela have a vicious catfight sometime.

Maybe I'm playing a wrong game.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The racial HD aren't as bad as they might be, since magical beasts get full BAB progression and a d10 HD. So a martial character at least isn't falling behind on that score. And you do get that nifty trip ability, which is worth about as much as a feat. Four fighter levels would get you two feats, so you're effectively gaining some nice ability score adjustments (Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +2, Cha -2) for the cost of a feat and opposable thumbs.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #10

Fighter's not exactly the best thing to compare stuff to. If you're going to compare power wise, do it to a ranger or barbarian. Or a binder. Or for more powerful options, the ToB classes. And less powerful, Monk, Fighter, and Paladin. Oh, and fighters get three feats in the first four levels. Though you do bring up some valid points.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I was comparing a Wolf RHD 4/fighter 2/X (barbarian or whatever) to a fighter 6/X, since many martial builds take a dip in fighter anyway, so it's only 2 feats for the levels, not 3. And I know that fighter isn't the most powerful class, but it is the easiest to compare to. You could certainly do a lot better than magical beast RHD, but you could also do a lot worse.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The racial HD aren't as bad as they might be, since magical beasts get full BAB progression and a d10 HD. So a martial character at least isn't falling behind on that score. And you do get that nifty trip ability, which is worth about as much as a feat. Four fighter levels would get you two feats, so you're effectively gaining some nice ability score adjustments (Str +2, Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +2, Cha -2) for the cost of a feat and opposable thumbs.
    They're augmented animals. That means they still get the features of the animal type, so d8 hit die and average BAB. They gain darkvision, but lose low-light vision.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. Well, that sucks then. At least it's only 4 HD, so you only lose one BAB.

14. - Top - End - #14

Somebody brought this up, the Worg has +1 LA and is exctly like the awakened wolf, except for the fact that it has far superior stat adjustments. +0 LA it is!

For those curious, the build is Super Wolf! He's three times the wolf of normal wolves! Taking both wolf totem barbarian variants.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

While you're at it, you could toss in some Totemist for wolfish soulmelds. Worg Pelt, Winter Mask, and Blink Shirt come to mind.