New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Best gestalt combination?

What do you think is the best gestalt combination? I ask just out of curiosity.

I think that Barbarian/Druid would be okay, as would Paladin/Sorcerer. Ranger/Druid is interesting too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Best gestalt combination?

I got a lot of use out of a VoP Swordsage/Druid. Would've gotten more if Eberron materials were allowed. And I imagine a Warblade/Psion would be pretty powerful for the Intelligence synergy.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3

Monk 1/druid 19//cleric 20 is pretty disgusting.

My current character is:

Side 1: Rogue 2/paladin of tyranny 3/hex blade 4/marshal 1/fighter 2/hexblade 1/heirophant 5/blackguard 2

Side 2: Cleric 10/contemplative 2/cleric 8

That's the build anyways, although she's only halfway through it currently (lvl 11).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Our dm says as long as we meet the Preq. for PcR's we can go stright into them.

Sword Sage 20// Kensai 10/seting sun ninja 10

Of corse unarmed.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2008-05-04 at 12:51 AM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

There was a thread some time ago about this : search for "Favorite gestalt combinations" or something similar...

Factotum//Archivist
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Pun-pun // Chuck

More seriously, I think the question is a bit too open-ended. But casters are better than everybody so some form of double caster with some options to get extra castings per turn is going to be your best bet. And wizard//archivist is great due to single attribute dependency and massive spell list.

So with that in mind, one of the following:
    Wizard / War Weaver / Legacy Champion // Archivist
    Wizard / Swiftblade // Archivist
    Wizard / Havoc Mage // Archivist / Arcane Archer

Or for a more martial feel:
    Wizard // Duskblade / Swiftblade / Bloodstorm Blade

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Barbarian/Warlock, even for a one level dip.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Beguiler/Rogue. Beguiler is the true Batman, while the Rogue's sneak attack deals with foes hindered by Beguiler magic and UMD provides healing and divinations. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Kira.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

My personal favorite is Wizard/Incantatrix//Archivist. You know, just in case your spellcasting abilities just weren't disgusting enough.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I like plain Warblade//Wizard.

Full BAB, d12 HD, Full Spellcasting, Full Initiator level, All Good Saves**, Martial Proficiency, and the Armor Proficiency needed for a Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt later on. Not to mention Intelligence synergy.

It just gets more ridiculous if you tack on Prestige Classes.

**Fort and Will are Good Progression, and a Warblade class features gives you Int bonus to Reflex saves which makes them high as well
    Last edited by Xefas; 2008-05-04 at 02:57 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd say Rogue/Druid would be the best combination due to it having all good saves, Wildshape, sneak attack, an animal companion, trapfinding, Divine Magic and tons of class skills and skill points.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Wizard/Incantatrix/Abjurant champion//Duskblade is my favourite so far. (unless you allow BoEF, then also throw some metaphysic spellshaper in the Wizard part)
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

13. - Top - End - #13

BarbarianGuy

VoP Factotum 8/Ur-Priest 10/Warblade (anything, really) 2//Wizard/Incantatrix

Trade out all your crappy exalted feats via Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos, get Font of Inspiration till you can't take it anymore, and abuse the huge amounts of standard actions you get in any way you want. Plus you can get Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics (if you take Warblade levels), have Rebuking to fuel DMM (sadly you cant apply it to wizard spells), and are an incantatrix.
    RAR!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

"Best" is whatever you have the most fun with without interfering with anyone else's fun.

There's some really effective combo's out there, though.

For instance, a Druid//Ninja (Complete Adventurer) gets sickening. All good saved, 6+Int skill points per level, swift-action invisibility (powered by Wisdom), Wisdom to AC, bonuses to jumping, and Sudden Strike to go with Pounce from Wildshape. Plus full casting (based on Wisdom). With Wildshape, you can ignore Strength and Dexterity. This build basically just needs Constitution and Wisdom.

A Paladin//Wilder can do very well. Play as a Wilder, and you can drop Strength and Dex to fairly minimal levels (ultimately, you'll want +3 Dex for the AC, but you'll be getting most your AC from Full Plate, a Tower Shield and Elude Touch). Full BAB, d10 HD, saves through the roof due to Divine Grace, Charisma-based casting, and if you pick up Psychic Reformation at 8th, you can spend ten minutes to retool if you find your power selection isn't doing what you'd hoped.

There's several others.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Courtesy of http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889:

Swordsage 1 (with the Shadow Blade feat), Battlesmith 1,Cleric 2 (with the Divine Might feat)/ Swashbuckler 3, ??? 1.

A level 4 character that adds every stat but CON to damage.

Of course, I don't know what this'll do to his base attack bonus, and he'll only be able to apply his wisdom bonus while wielding a hammer, and only apply the dex bonus while wielding a shadow blade weapon. Ask your DM if you can make a shortsword-hammer combination. Call it a Sham, and bribe him by saying it'll only do 1d4 damage on account of being such a wierd weapon. 1d4 won't matter in comparison with the +10 you can easily be dealing.

All praise the point-buy and magic item cost system that allows one to buy five +2 items for roughly 1/5 the price of a +10 item!
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2008-05-04 at 09:21 AM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    VoP Factotum 8/Ur-Priest 10/Warblade (anything, really) 2//Wizard/Incantatrix

Trade out all your crappy exalted feats via Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos, get Font of Inspiration till you can't take it anymore, and abuse the huge amounts of standard actions you get in any way you want. Plus you can get Iron Heart Surge and White Raven Tactics (if you take Warblade levels), have Rebuking to fuel DMM (sadly you cant apply it to wizard spells), and are an incantatrix.
    Except of course that your Wizard side can't cast spells, seeing as he isn't allowed to own a spellbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas
    I like plain Warblade//Wizard.

Full BAB, d12 HD, Full Spellcasting, Full Initiator level, All Good Saves**, Martial Proficiency, and the Armor Proficiency needed for a Twilight Mithril Chain Shirt later on. Not to mention Intelligence synergy.
    Except that the penalty for not having proficiency is a -0 penalty to all attack roles, meaning that proficiency is useless.

Personally, I'd go with the Wizard/Incantatrix//Archivist/Sacred Exorcist (just the one level) if I wasn't abusing Ur-Preist.

If I was?

Wizard 20//Bard 1/Duskblade 1/Wu-Jen 1/Warmage 1/Beguiler 1/Ur-Priest 10/Sublime Chord 5

For Wizard 20 with a CL of 25, plus Ur-Priest 10 at CL of either 25 or 85 (Rocking the Blasphemy Train either way since that's before items such as Ioun Stones and Pearls of Power).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    Wizard 20//Bard 1/Duskblade 1/Wu-Jen 1/Warmage 1/Beguiler 1/Ur-Priest 10/Sublime Chord 5
    I think the recent Gestalt Challenges can do better than that Omnicaster FTW!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't thought it out that much before now (and I'm AFB, so I can't look up a lot of stuff), but I think something like the following would be decent for a high damage output character.

Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem) 1/Fighter X/Full BAB Class X//Rogue 19/Something with Sneak Attack 1

You get full BAB, good Fort and Reflex saves, 8+Int skills (from a big list), all the Rogue abilities (though you're limited to light armor for many of them), the abilities from your other full BAB classes (martial maneuvers, mettle, Supreme Power Attack if you work towards Frenzied Berserker, or other stuff), and the chance to full two-handed PA/Leap Attack/Pounce/Shock Trooper hell-charge on a full attack that also adds in 11d6 sneak attack damage on each hit if you go first or otherwise get sneak attack.

Throw on Improved Initiative once or twice, the charging feats, and Steadfast Determination (or whatever it is that gives you Con to Will, unless you want to be mind-controlled or something), and then whatever other feats you want. Neraph Charge works, too, if you can qualify, and keeps you from having to worry about winning initiative (since you probably won't need to charge an enemy more than once per encounter, seeing as how he's probably already dead by that point).

Of course, in gestalt there are probably a ton of ways to do a lot of damage, but this one seemed pretty easy.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #19

Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Frenzied Berserker 10/X 4//Druid 10/Planar Shepard 10
    OR
    Be a Centaur
    RHD 4/Fighter 8/Hulking Hurler 3/Master Thrower 5//Cleric 10/Warhulk 10

Pure Win.
    Last edited by expirement10K14; 2008-05-04 at 12:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Omnicaster? Pshaw, I can do better than that. Presenting the Master of the Nine Magics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Azurin Bard 1/Warlock 1/Ardent 1/Cerebremancer 9/Ur-Priest 1/Psychic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Mystic Theurge 3 // Binder 5/Chameleon 2/Anima Mage 10/Mystic Theurge 2/Shadowcaster 1 (not in that order)

1: Bard//binder (2 flaws, Precocious Apprentice, Able Learner, Iron Will, Spell Focus: Evil)
    2: Warlock//binder
    3: Ardent//binder (Practiced Manifester)
    4: Cerebremancer (War2/Ard2)//binder
    5: Cerebremancer (War3/Ard3)//binder
    6: Ur-Priest//Chameleon (Alternate Spell Source)
    7: Cerebremancer (War4/Ard4)//Chameleon
    8: Psychic Theurge (Ur2/Ard5)//Anima Mage (bind6/war5)
    9: Psychic Theurge (Ur3/Ard6)//Anima Mage (bind7/war6) (*metamagic*)
    10: Sublime Chord//Anima Mage (bind8/war7)
    11: Cerebremancer (sub2/ard7)//Anima Mage (bind9/war8)
    12: Cerebremancer (war9/ard8)//Mystic Theurge (ur4/sub3) (Improved Binding)
    13: Mystic Theurge (ur5/sub4)//Anima Mage (bind10/war10)
    14: Cerebremancer (sub5/ard9)//Anima Mage (bind11/war11)
    15: Cerebremancer (war12/ard10)//Mystic Theurge (ur6/sub6) (Truename Training)
    16: Mystic Theurge (ur7/sub7)//Anima Mage (bind 12/war13)
    17: Psychic Theurge (ur8/ard11)//Anima Mage (bind 13/war14) (Chaos shuffle bard weapon proficiencies) (Minor Utterance of the Evolving Mind x2, Utterance of the Crafted Tool, Utterance of the Perfected Map, 3 Incarnum feats, Expanded Knowledge: Open Chakra)
    18: Cerebremancer (sub8/ard12)//Anima Mage (bind 14/war15) (Martial Study)
    19: Cerebremancer (war16/ard13)//Shadowcaster
    20: Mystic Theurge (ur9/shad2)//Anima Mage (bind15/sub9)

OK, so technically, he's only a master of six magics, but he at least dabbles in the other three.
    Arcane spells: Casts as a Sublime Chord 9, for 9th-level spells
    Divine spells: Casts as an Ur-Priest 9, for 9th-level spells (assuming a Wis of 28)
    Psionics: Has an Ardent manifester lever of 17, for 9th-level powers.
    Invocations: Invokes as a Warlock 16, for Dark invokations
    Incarnum: Has ten soulmelds shaped, any of which can be bound to a chakra and have up to four essentia invested
    Pact magic: Binds as a 15th-level binder, with vestige choices as 17th level, for 8th-level vestiges
    Truename magic: Can max ranks in True Speech, and has Perfected Map utterances
    Shadow magic: Casts mysteries as a 2nd-level shadowcaster (the weakest magic in the build)
    Sublime way: Has a 5th-level maneuver (IL 10)

More seriously, though, for raw power, it's hard to beat some combination of Wizard, Archivist, Factotum, and your casting-advancing PrCs of choice. Everyone knows how powerful the full casters are, and the factotum levels give them more of that most precious resource, actions in combat. Depending on how many levels of factotum you take, and how many feats you spend on Font of Inspiration, you can get between one and ten extra actions in each encounter, which you use to cast more of your devastating spells of choice. And you also gain all sorts of other nifty effects to use your Int mod for: Add it to your attack roll, to be certain you hit with a ray, or to your Armor Class, or to a saving throw, or to a wide variety of skill checks, or your initiative, or probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. The optimum build is probably either wizard (or equivalent) 20 // factotum 8/archivist 12 or archivist 20 // factotum 8/wizard (or equivalent) 12, depending on just what spells your DM lets archivists get ahold of.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Chronos, you can't use cerebemancer in a gestalt build.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Ordinarily, no (nor Mystic Theurge, nor Psychic Theurge, nor Anima Mage). One also can't ordinarily take two prestige classes at once in Gestalt. But that build was a response to Kurald Galain's Omnicaster, which also uses such classes. The Omnicaster was originally written up for one of Duke of URL's contests, which merely strongly discourage dual-progression classes, rather than outright banning them.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

23. - Top - End - #23

@Chronos, technically, you have a manifester level of 18.

@Kurald, every time Gestalt comes up, you are not required to tell everyone else that their builds, which follow the actual rules, suck because you made a build for a challenge once that ignored all the rules of gestalt.

Also, my build would annihilate the Omnicaster using Foresight/Celerity or his likely higher Init and then instagibbing with a Blasphemy/Quickened Holy Word.

So please stop explaining why everyone else's builds are pathetic.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

i am supized that no one here said warlock20/rouge20 or warlock 15/ hellfire warlock 5// rouge 20 for the epic win and the trophy.its nothing unless you always hide with in 30 ft of the door or a spot that no more that 30 ft away from a certian spot.Pluse you get great skill points and a large slection of skill and empower and maximize SLA. you just roast any one or thing that you do not like.
    current avatar by Nathan

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
    Originally Posted by Randel
    A dwarven monk got drunk
    and sat on an elephants trunk
    the elephant sneezed and fell on his knees
    and that was the end of the monk

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    @Kurald, every time Gestalt comes up, you are not required to tell everyone else that their builds, which follow the actual rules, suck because you made a build for a challenge once that ignored all the rules of gestalt.
    Whoa, dude, can we do this without the flaming please? I didn't say anywhere that anybody's build "sucked" or is "pathetic", and I'd sincerely appreciate it if you would refrain from putting words into my mouth in the future. Seriously, lighten up.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Courtesy of http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=320889:

Swordsage 1 (with the Shadow Blade feat), Battlesmith 1,Cleric 2 (with the Divine Might feat)/ Swashbuckler 3, ??? 1.

A level 4 character that adds every stat but CON to damage.

Of course, I don't know what this'll do to his base attack bonus, and he'll only be able to apply his wisdom bonus while wielding a hammer, and only apply the dex bonus while wielding a shadow blade weapon. Ask your DM if you can make a shortsword-hammer combination. Call it a Sham, and bribe him by saying it'll only do 1d4 damage on account of being such a wierd weapon. 1d4 won't matter in comparison with the +10 you can easily be dealing.

All praise the point-buy and magic item cost system that allows one to buy five +2 items for roughly 1/5 the price of a +10 item!
    Apparently I'm not cool enough to even be insulted. :-(
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Druid 20//Fighter 2/Barbarian 1/Swordsage 2/Warshaper 5/MoMF 10

Not necessarily the most powerful, but 16 BaB, MoMF wildshape, Wis to AC, Rage, 2 bonus feats, +4 str, +4 con, +5 ft reach, and 20 levels of spellcasting. Yeah, it's not the most powerful, but my mother would be able to kick butt playing that.

Plus, who doesn't want to turn into a raging bear that's even bulkier than normal ad has the bite of a collassal creature?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

28. - Top - End - #28

i have heard artificer 20/archivist 20 is really good.
    Last edited by Nohwl; 2008-05-04 at 07:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I haven't played Gestalt yet but I figured Favored Soul/Sorcerer would be great since they both use CHA to cast spontaneous spells, therefore you just need one stat to cast both Divine and Arcane Spells and such a character would be a great candidate for a Mystic Theurge.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Whoa, dude, can we do this without the flaming please?
    And how is anything that I said even remotely like flaming? If you think I was flaming report me for it so that the moderators can get a good laugh.