New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default grid alternitives?

Are there any viable alternatives to grids, that don't require miniatures and hunting down proper miniatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: grid alternitives?

Legos.
    There's plenty of medevil sets for logos. My group has been using them for a while, and, they don't stand well if you don't use a base. But they're still fun.

It's also nice to have to fight a collosal metal spider with crab claws and three lazer cannons.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I've never played with miniatures, really. Just grid paper (well, hexagon paper once but I like grid more) and pencil. It isn't as graphical but is easily available, affordable and works. It isn't disturbed by pets (which about half of our group has. You wouldn't believe how interesting figures can seem to a parrot, for example...), either.

Other option could be all the DND related softwares on laptop, OpenRPG for example.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPacifist View Post
    Other option could be all the DND related softwares on laptop, OpenRPG for example.
    Or non-DND related softwares on laptop, like Microsoft Excel. ;)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

My group spent $15 on a big gridded dry-erase mat. Just take a marker and draw the terrain on! When the PCs go to a new area, wipe it off, and draw the new area.

Instead of miniatures, all the players throw in a personal token of theirs to represent them. One of my players uses some foreign coin from a vacation he took to Europe. Another uses the Regdar chip from the 3rd edition boxed set that his parents got him long ago. Another uses a d12 from a dicebag they got as a gift from someone, etc.

As the DM, I use random crap for everything. Risk pieces with numbers written on them, boardgame pieces, action figures, yo-yos, empty ink cartridges, Lego men, etc.

Sure, it looks wonky, but it's better than coughing up money for miniatures and STILL having to substitute your Ogres for Sword Archons, and your Kobolds for Incubi.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    Legos.
    There's plenty of medevil sets for logos. My group has been using them for a while, and, they don't stand well if you don't use a base. But they're still fun.

It's also nice to have to fight a collosal metal spider with crab claws and three lazer cannons.
    This is absolutely the best way to do it, IMO. It works especially well if someone has a great many LEGOs and the DM has a great deal of time. one of my friends uses them all the time, and will generally come to each session with several bits and pieces pre-assembled, to put together into important terrain/maps/battlegrounds/castles/whatever.

Also, ditto the laser spider coolness. Nothing makes a choker more threatening than portraying it as a radioactive manta ray with claws, lasers, and rockets. Except possibly that CR20-odd Choker that I heard someone homebrewed around here someplace...
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

7. - Top - End - #7

My group used dominoes to represent walls, and just whatever miniatures we had lying around. It worked pretty well in that we always knew where everyone was so it worked fine.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    Legos.

Lego Men generally stay in place better if you sit them down.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

9. - Top - End - #9

Imagination.
    A pad of graph paper would set you back only a few € and can be used for many maps.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I use lego's to represent things. I can easily build walls and such. Here is an example of my Lego "grid".
    Spoiler
    Show

FYI, the image is quite large, and bad quality. I will never take a picture again in my life.
    Last edited by expirement10K14; 2008-05-04 at 12:37 PM.