New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Artificers: Is WotC stupid, or am I the idiot?

First off, I love the concept of the artificer class. However, there seems to be a very glaring oversight that I cannot seem to work my mind around:

The major bonus of reaching level 4 as an artificer is the ability to craft homunculi. There's just one catch, and that's the fact that they still need to emulate the spells to pull it off. The core spell for a homunculus, the spell that is in every variant I've seen, is Arcane Eye, which is level 4.

An artificer can emulate spells as if they were two levels higher. This doesn't make their spells stronger, but it does give them access to spell levels faster. However, the earliest anyone can cast Arcane Eye is at level 7 as a wizard, which means an artificer can emulate it at level 5. That means that they give you the Craft Homunculus class feature a full level before the earliest you can use it.

Am I reading the rules wrong? Was there an errata I missed? Or is that really as dumb as it seems to me?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Artificers: Is WotC stupid, or am I the idiot?

You do not have to cast the spell yourself.

You can get access through magic items or other spellcasters.

The MM also lists level 4 as the required level.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Arcane Eye may appear on another class' spell list at a lower level, but I see no reason why you would assume WotC wasn't that dumb. They seem to enjoy printing errata, to the point whee it is necessary just to make the game playable.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

WotC farked up.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Unless I'm wrong (and I am away from the books), there's no specific limit on the spell level you can emulate through UMD. The only limit is how well you roll. At level 4, you should have seven ranks in UMD. Chip in for some masterwork tools, or UMD-increasing item if you really need it, and you should be fine.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Arcane Eye may appear on another class' spell list at a lower level, but I see no reason why you would assume WotC wasn't that dumb. They seem to enjoy printing errata, to the point whee it is necessary just to make the game playable.
    I'd like to second this notion.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

7. - Top - End - #7

Arcane Eye is a first level spell for a Trapsmith. Have fun with your Homoculus.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Unless I'm wrong (and I am away from the books), there's no specific limit on the spell level you can emulate through UMD. The only limit is how well you roll. At level 4, you should have seven ranks in UMD. Chip in for some masterwork tools, or UMD-increasing item if you really need it, and you should be fine.
    That was my interpretation as well.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    You can emulate a higher caster level, but not a spell level of more than one above what you would be able to cast.

Yes, terminology needs to be refined in all D&D products. Add that to the list of common sense things that WotC will never do.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chosen_of_Vecna View Post
    Arcane Eye is a first level spell for a Trapsmith. Have fun with your Homoculus.
    Aah, trapsmith, trapsmith, how I do adore your random and game-threateningly levelled spells.

<3

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's a prestige class, though. Can artificers use prestige class spell lists?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    That's a prestige class, though. Can artificers use prestige class spell lists?
    Yup, thus posing a major problem. It's any spell list.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotta love Haste as a first level spell.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    You do not have to cast the spell yourself.

You can get access through magic items or other spellcasters.

The MM also lists level 4 as the required level.
    Did you all miss this post? It seems to explain the whole thing very clearly.
    Gnoll Paladin with Zanbatou Avatar by Oregano.

Homebrews:

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald
    Incidentally, Armadillo, I'd suggest you were hit by a spark of inspiration, but that would knock your armor off.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Very clearly, unless you are unable to obtain it through magic items or other spellcasters.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That's a good bit of it, I'm afraid. scrolls of Arcane Eye are not a common find in random loot, if I've got a level 7 wizard in my party and stuck at level 4 I've got more problems than crafting homunculi, and hiring a level 7 caster to cast a level 4 spell is rather expensive for a level 4 character, even if he has the resources to find one, especially after you count the expense of creating the homunculus.

That said, the use of presitge class spell lists seems somewhat dirty pool to me, which leaves me stuck where I started.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's a good bit of it, I'm afraid. scrolls of Arcane Eye are not a common find in random loot, if I've got a level 7 wizard in my party and stuck at level 4 I've got more problems than crafting homunculi, and hiring a level 7 caster to cast a level 4 spell is rather expensive for a level 4 character, even if he has the resources to find one, especially after you count the expense of creating the homunculus.

That said, the use of presitge class spell lists seems somewhat dirty pool to me, which leaves me stuck where I started.
    Just offer the wizard something to be made via your new homunculus. Offer to sell it to him at the cost it takes to make it. Chances are you'll sooner or later have the feat that will reduce the cost, so you can still make out with a profit, albeit a small one. No one will turn down a low-level magic item at half cost for the simple task of waving your hands and saying a few words.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Set up a homuculus mass-production venture and split profits 50/50.

By the way, which book is the Artificer in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    By the way, which book is the Artificer in?
    Eberron Camapign Setting.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Hiring a level 7 caster to cast a single level 4 spell costs 40 * 7 = 280 gp. That's not bad at all.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Just offer the wizard something to be made via your new homunculus. Offer to sell it to him at the cost it takes to make it. Chances are you'll sooner or later have the feat that will reduce the cost, so you can still make out with a profit, albeit a small one. No one will turn down a low-level magic item at half cost for the simple task of waving your hands and saying a few words.
    Problem is that, if I'm not mistaken, a homunclus can't actually be sold. Says so in the description I believe.

And flickerdart, they're in the Eberon Campaign Setting book
    Crimson Towers Races(Homebrew PEACH stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhilarity View Post
    "Now, why, specifically, would I need the feats in order to gain this next one in the progression?"

"Because you need to be able to preform the skills required in order to do it"

"So, particular names of the skills aside, if I were able to do these things (Rapid Shot + Many Shot) I might be able to pull off a skill exactly the same as Greater Many Shot, even if, say, I called it by it's name in SWAHILI?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Hiring a level 7 caster to cast a single level 4 spell costs 40 * 7 = 280 gp. That's not bad at all.
    Assuming your DM is nice and doesn't have the wizard charge you extra. I Know mine would :(
    "Now, why, specifically, would I need the feats in order to gain this next one in the progression?"

"So, particular names of the skills aside, if I were able to do these things (Rapid Shot + Many Shot) I might be able to pull off a skill exactly the same as Greater Many Shot, even if, say, I called it by it's name in SWAHILI?"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

no, I'm not saying you sell the homunculi, you sell the first thing he makes to the helpful spellcaster. So basically, "Hey bud, cast this spell for me and I'll make you a bag of tricks and charge you half market value."

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
    Assuming your DM is nice and doesn't have the wizard charge you extra. I Know mine would :(
    Yeah, my DM always charges 4 billion times the cost of PHB items and services.

All fighters use Quarterstaffs, since they can't afford any other item until Epic.

Oh wait, DMs arbitrarily changing the costs to spite a class's main unique feature is retarded and people don't do it.

Far more likely that a decent DM would give you a discount on the cost of the spell so that you can have your Class feature.

Of course, as one person already said, you can emulate a 9th level spell with a level 1 Artificer for crafting, as long as you can make the UMD check.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh wait, DMs arbitrarily changing the costs to spite a class's main unique feature is retarded and people don't do it.
    To be fair, this is the artificer. It's not as though they're going to be crippled by not having a homunculus for one level. It'd still annoy me, though.

Of course, as one person already said, you can emulate a 9th level spell with a level 1 Artificer for crafting, as long as you can make the UMD check.
    Nope. Artificers mimick spells using their artificer level + 2 for their caster level, and can't mimick a spell with a caster level too low to cast it; your Artificer level must be at least twice the spell's level, -3.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

All fighters use Quarterstaffs, since they can't afford any other item until Epic.

Well, to be fair, some people do. But yeah, they're generally morons for doing so.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Far more likely that a decent DM would give you a discount on the cost of the spell so that you can have your Class feature.

... ... ...Wow...over react much? I said charge MORE than standard, not make the cost impossible to handle, shesh.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, my DM decided to just make Arcane Eye a level 3 spell after finding that nobody had a "good" way of dealing with it. Smart move, if you ask me, because that solves the issue simply and without opening the door on some of the more dangerous solutions like allowing prestige class spell lists.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Same problem applies to the crusader: because they get their last stance at 14th level (and apparently they MUST choose a stance when it becomes available) a single class crusader cannot access 8th level stances, not even from the crusader-only Devoted Spirit school, without choosing feats.

Definitely makes one think someone hasn't done their proofreading well. A case for little adjustments: maybe delaying access to the last stance, since it LOOKS like weakening the crusader through earlier levels, but actually gives them access to the ability they should have access to, without them having to spend their feats on their own stances.

How common are things that look like obvious bugs in the class design?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, if it comes to that, I still don't like how they deal with upgrading homunculi in the first place. 4k per hit die? Yeah, that might be trivial in high level situations, but that's crippling at early levels where the homunculi are actually useful tools.