New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Good invocations

Hello, I am making a level 6 Warlock, and I've already chosen two of my least invocations (Baleful Utterance and See the Unseen), but I still need to choose my third least and my lesser invocation, what kind of invocations would be good for me? I have complete Arcane and Complete Mage.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Good invocations

Beguiling Influence is a good least if you do a lot of social stuff. For lesser, I highly suggest Fell Flight and Flee the Scene.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll second the Fell Flight...

No shaping or essence? Eldritch Chain has always been one of my favorites...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

The devil's sight/darkeness combo is always nice. Fell flight is also good. Shatter if you just want to screw around.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A least Invocation called Eldrich Glaive will give you an Eldrich Reach weapon which used Touch attacks. You also get extra attacks if your BAB is high enough. That's good if you're prepared to improve your AC.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-05-07 at 08:56 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

And to counter the glaive-lock that Tempest mentioned, I say go for Eldritch spear. That combined with Fell Flight means never having to get within range of the bad guys weapons, and lets you laugh at their feeble attempts to get back at you for hitting them all day long from 250 feet above their heads.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

7. - Top - End - #7

Hmmm, yes, I think I might go eldritch spear/fell flight combo. And if a mook starts shooting arrows at me, I'll just shatter his bow.

By the way, Shatter at will is a load of fun, you can shatter Holy symbols and spellbooks, then retreat.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hmmm, now I have to pick four feats, does anyone have any good warlock feats?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Point Blank/Precise are a good investment to avoid the -4 from firing into melee...

Empower Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast) is useful, but I'm not sure at what level you can take it.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmmm, I AM a 6th level warlock... Well, this sounds like something to counteract the poor scaling of the EB.

11. - Top - End - #11

Still one feat to use, I am considering Improved Initiative, but what other feats are mechanically useful?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlock Handbook

It's certainly not the best Handbook out there, but it's got some decent advice. The problem with suggesting Invocations is that there are several different builds for Warlocks. I'm assuming you aren't going Glaivelock, And Fell flight is almost always a must. Entropic Warding is fantastic, you'll probably want that. Beguiling Influence if you're the party face. Spiderwalk can be fun, but is quickly replaced by Fell Flight.

Feat wise, you don't really need Precise Shot, since EB is Ranged Touch. If you've got at least 13 Wisdom, think about Psionic Shot, Psionic Meditation, and Greater Psionic Shot. You'll need at least one power point to get these, but they can add a big chunk of damage to your EBs. (They can be found in the SRD)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Depending on your style...

Either Fell Flight or Walk Unseen. If you don't take Fell Flight, do take Spiderwalk.

Most essence invocations aren't worth it, with the exception of Eldritch Glaive and Eldritch Spear. If you take the latter, top it off with Entropic Warding.

Beguiling Influence is fun depending on your style, again. If it is, you probably have high enough charisma to make Dark One's Own Luck worthwhile.

Note that you cannot shatter magical items. Therefore, it may be interesting to combine it with Relentless Dispelling.

Regarding feats, Imp Initiative is always good, as is Extra Invocation. I find that pointblank & precise shot doesn't come up often enough to be worth two feats. The Fae Bloodline feats stack with the warlock's natural DR, and are flavorful for some builds. A very useful feat is Quicken SLA, but you can't take that at level six, yet. If you're blasting a lot, you may want to splurge on Improved Critical. If you can somehow obtain Sneak Attack ability (and there's magical items that let you), the Craven feat is good.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Least

Shapes: Spear or Glaive, depending on style
    Essences: None
    Others: See The Unseen, Beguiling Influence, Baleful Utterance, Entropic Warding, Voice of Madness (other than low DC [11+CHA], this scales with level)

Lesser

Shapes: Chain, if you're expecting groups and want to get close enough
    Essences: Hellfire or Hellrime, if you're planning on taking Hellfire Warlock later
    Others: Fell Flight, Walk Unseen, Devour Magic, The Dead Walk

Feats (assuming Human)

Glaive users:

1: Armor Proficiency Medium
    1: Battle Caster
    3: Weapon Finesse (for Glaive users only)
    6: Combat Reflexes (for Glaive users only)

Everyone Else

1: Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast)
    1: (any)
    3: (any)
    6: Extra Invocation (Least)

Supernatural Transformation would be perfect, except I believe it's been errata'd to exclude Sp abilities gained from classes. Able Learner (level 1 only) is a good choice if you want a 2-level Chameleon dip (for crafting).
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-05-07 at 11:29 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #15

Ok, with the help of exra Invocation feats I now have the invocations:

Baleful Utterance
    Beguiling Influence
    See the Unseen
    Eldritch Spear
    Entropic Shield
    Fell Flight

Any comments?

16. - Top - End - #16

You can't have 5 least invocations at level 6 -- the most you can have is 4: 3 from class levels and one from Extra Invocation at level 6. Extra Invocation can only be used to take an invocation one grade less than your maximum, and so can't be taken prior to level 6.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    1: Armor Proficiency Medium
    1: Battle Caster
    I'm a bit surprised at this. The best medium armor is only one AC better than the best light armor (and if you go mithril, the best heavy armor is three points, which still doesn't seem to be worth two whole feats, given the plethora of AC boosting items). Am I missing something here?

I have not heard of Voice of Madness, however. Can you tell me what it does? Perhaps cast Confusion or something?

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'm a bit surprised at this. The best medium armor is only one AC better than the best light armor (and if you go mithril, the best heavy armor is three points, which still doesn't seem to be worth two whole feats, given the plethora of AC boosting items). Am I missing something here?
    Other than there not really being very many good Warlock feats, period, no. What you take with those extra feats prior to level 6 is pretty much a matter of personal preference -- Improved Initiative and something else would make a good swap-out, especially if you're pumping DEX high enough that you're likely not going to wear armor anyway. Edit: Spell Penetration and its Greater version aren't bad either, though by the time you really need them, you should have access to Vitriolic Blast.

I have not heard of Voice of Madness, however. Can you tell me what it does? Perhaps cast Confusion or something?
    It's from Dragon magazine, I think. Confuses single target for 1 round + 1 round/2 levels. Will save, so great to spam on front-liners when you're at level 4-6 or so, especially if you boost CHA. May eventually want to swap it out for another least invocation once the save DC gets too low to be useful.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2008-05-08 at 06:53 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #19

Ok, I think I've got the feats sorted out, so now I am getting items. I guess a crucible of fell power is would make a good item, although then I would have to ignore any rules about maximum spending on a single item.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, for feats: The Fey/Demonic Heritage feats from Complete Mage! They give you a DR/Cold Iron bonus that stacks with your Warlock DR. PLUS, a bunch of other stuff that'll boost the CL of your invocations...Yo.

As for items: At 6th level, wands are your best friend. Wands of Cure Light Wounds is a must, as you should have your UMD maxed. (Max it, Man!) Gloves of Dexterity are a good thing to have, as well. Then, the obligitory (Amulet of Natural Armor +1) + (Ring of Protection +1) + (Bracers of Armor +1) for the cheapest +3 to AC that you can get, without messing with your invoking.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Bracers of Armor +1 are 1000g for a +1 Armor bonus
    +1 Mithral Chain Shirt is only 2100g for a +5 armor bonus

Neither interfere with casting.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    Also, for feats: The Fey/Demonic Heritage feats from Complete Mage! They give you a DR/Cold Iron bonus that stacks with your Warlock DR.
    Demonic heritage doesn't give DR/Cold iron; it gives fire and acid resistance instead.

23. - Top - End - #23

Ok, now I have good Light armour, Wand of CLW and a heavy mace just in case (why do I always rhyme when I don't intend to? Why?!), but personaly I would like to know if there are any utility items I might use.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
    Ok, now I have good Light armour, Wand of CLW and a heavy mace just in case (why do I always rhyme when I don't intend to? Why?!), but personaly I would like to know if there are any utility items I might use.
    Chausible of Fell Power. Increases your blast damage.

Rogue's Vest. Likewise.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Chausible of Fell Power. Increases your blast damage.
    That requires a body slot already taken up by armor. It's also a bit on the expensive side for a 6th-level character, isn't it? (Maybe the lesser version isn't so costly...)

Utility wands/scrolls are nice, as well as one wand to deliver an offensive spell that ignores SR, just in case.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Chausible of Fell Power costs too much. That rule about not letting one item be x% of your total wealth. I think the Rogue Vest is the same.

I'd snag a few tanglefoot bags, just in case there are enemies that are particularly hard to hit, or (heaven forbid it at your level) Spell Resistance.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

27. - Top - End - #27

My DM just said me 'Lock could get one invocation per level.

Time to go pick some more invocations, should be interesting.

Edit: Okay, I've chosen beguiling influence so I can Bluff my enemies into Oblivion, what other Least from CArcane or CMage should I choose?
    Last edited by Zenos; 2008-05-08 at 01:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

One at every level?

Well, get ready to be extremely overpowered...
    Take Summon Swarm for lots of win.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zenos View Post
    Edit: Okay, I've chosen beguiling influence so I can Bluff my enemies into Oblivion, what other Least from CArcane or CMage should I choose?
    Beguiling influence is not very impressive. A Bard or Beguiler with Glibness will blow your bluff check out of the water. That said, if you're already maxing out your social skills, a +6 is not-too-shabby. But that also depends on how seriously your DM takes social skills.

Baleful Utterance, Spider Climb, Spear, Glaive, and See the Unseen are all very solid. Summon Swarm is also good with the sheer number of invocations you get. If you're taking fell flight, then I'd replace Spider Climb with Summon Swarm.

I would get Flee the Scene even if you're already getting Fell Flight since you're getting so many invocations. A readied action to Flee the Scene against an attack will save your life very often. You can Flee to an area with total cover, and your enemies will waste their attacks on you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Heward's Handy Haversack. Always get one. You'll be the team's Magic Item cart, so you need a way to get to your wands in combat, and if your DM enforces encumberance, you'll automatically want one.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.