New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ethereals

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Ethereals

I am, or at least once was, a fan of World of Warcraft. But in all my years playing it, no other race has ever fascinated me as much as the Ethereals.

For those who may not want to look: Ethereals are essentially inter-planar merchants and arms dealers, beings of pure energy that can bind themselves like mummies in cloth to do business or fight. What I wish to know is, is there any race in DnD that I can modify/fluff into a character such as this effectively, or if there is not, if some kind person with more skill at this than I, could assist in helping me build a race that may work.

Please and thank you.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ethereals

It seems like its a fairly spiritual race. This would entail going through things, energy attacks, and DR. However, because of the Race rules, that would cause some problems.

So, first question, would you prefer a high LA race with lots of abilities or a low LA class with little/no abilities?
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Beyond a racial short-range teleport (normally behind an enemy) they seem overall to be the same as a human. Though I can only speculate that they'd likely have some form of resistance to normal weapons, being partially etheral, and likely good diplomats and merchants due to their culture.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I've got a bit written up about them. Let me know if there's something I can improve I just hope it isn't overpowered.

---------------------------------------

Ethereals

An interdimensional race of merchants and rogues, Ethereals were banished from their home world by Dimensius the All-Devouring, a powerful Void Demon, and were forced to settle in other places. The current size of their empire is unknown, but it is based on wealth, with 4 Trade Princes serving as the rulers. Their primary concern is taking back their homeworld, as well as amassing riches from any worlds they encounter through trade and, if necessary, theft. Ethereals are raised to be skilled traders from the moment they can grasp the concept of trade, and make skilled diplomats and cunning combatants. To interact with other humanoid races, ethereals wrap themselves in bandages like mummies, giving their somewhat vaporous state a more solid form. Their arcane nature allows Ethereals to detect even faint traces of magic, and they are naturally skilled in the use of magic items.

+1 Charisma, +1 Intelligence, -2 Constitution

Medium Aberration

Base Land Speed: 30 ft.

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport 50 feet in any direction as a move action 1/HD every day, as per the Teleport spell.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras at will 1/day as per the Detect Magic spell.

Ethereals have a +2 damage resistance versus normal, non-magical weapons.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Bluff checks.

+2 racial bonus to Appraise and Use Magic Item checks.

Favored Classes: Rogue, Wizard

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Just glancing over your race, it looks like about +2 or +3 LA, but I could be wrong.

Usually, stat adjustments (Str, Dex, etc) are in even numbers, rather than odd. You may want to change that. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Scribe View Post
    Hmm. Previous experience tells me that pressing Z or R twice would enable us to do a BARREL ROLL, which may allow us to escape this foul monster.
    All bow down to Devigod for my awesome avatar--or SPQR-Oddjob-Cthulhu will eat you. And conjugate you. And throw his hat at you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, I don't mean to be a know-it-better, but I made some changes and improvements.

Ethereals

+2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution

Medium Outsider

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport themselves and their gear 50 feet in any direction as a move action. This ability otherwise functions like the Dimension Door spell. This ability can be used a number of times a day equal to their HD.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras 1/day as a free action as per the Detect Magic spell.

Ethereals have Damage Reduction 2/magic.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff and Sense Motive checks.

Favored Class: Rogue

Level Adjustment: +3

The change from abberation to outsider seems logical, and races never have more than one favored class. Damage resistance is called Damage Reduction (DR). Also, as merchants, I feel they should have a bonus to sense motive.
    Also, the Ethereals seem to be ethereal, which is a condition in DnD. However, this is a very powerful ability, which would make this race's level adjustment a lot higher...
    Last edited by Ceaon; 2008-05-15 at 12:36 PM.
    "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Can I try to make a 4th edition version?

Ethereal
    Abilities: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6 squares
    Vision: Normal
    ---
    Languages: Common, Ethereal
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Streetwise
    ---
    Otherworldly Origin: Considering an Immortal creature
    ---
    {table=head]Spacial Shift (Ethereal Racial Power)
    You move briefly outside perceptible space, appearing as if to teleport from one place to another
    Encounter * Teleportation
    Move Action (Personal)
    Effect: Teleport up to 5 squares[/table]
    ----

Racial Feat:
    Discorporation
    You have learned to fade partially outside reality while still maintaining the bonds that keep your essence together.
    Benefit: Once per day, as an immediate interrupt, you may become Insubstantial until the beginning of your next turn.

(Note: The "Insubstantial" condition causes you to takes half damage from all sources except for critical hits)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaon View Post
    Well, I don't mean to be a know-it-better, but I made some changes and improvements.

Ethereals

Medium Outsider

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport themselves and their gear 50 feet in any direction as a move action. This ability otherwise functions like the Dimension Door spell. This ability can be used a number of times a day equal to their HD.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras 1/day as a free action as per the Detect Magic spell.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff and Sense Motive checks.

The change from abberation to outsider seems logical, and races never have more than one favored class. Damage resistance is called Damage Reduction (DR). Also, as merchants, I feel they should have a bonus to sense motive.
    Also, the Ethereals seem to be ethereal, which is a condition in DnD. However, this is a very powerful ability, which would make this race's level adjustment a lot higher...
    Most of these changes are good, but one comment is wrong. At least 1 races does have 2 favored classes; Drow. Granted that is based on Gender, but drow still have the extra FC.
    Crimson Towers Races(Homebrew PEACH stuff)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhilarity View Post
    "Now, why, specifically, would I need the feats in order to gain this next one in the progression?"

"Because you need to be able to preform the skills required in order to do it"

"So, particular names of the skills aside, if I were able to do these things (Rapid Shot + Many Shot) I might be able to pull off a skill exactly the same as Greater Many Shot, even if, say, I called it by it's name in SWAHILI?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceaon View Post

Ethereals

Medium Outsider

A know-it-better is exactly what I need.

That seems quite good. Still within lore, and not TOO powerful. Thanks a lot.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
    Most of these changes are good, but one comment is wrong. At least 1 races does have 2 favored classes; Drow. Granted that is based on Gender, but drow still have the extra FC.
    Hehe, figures I'd be proven wrong within seconds !
    But I still feel favored class: rogue is the most appropriate, instead of splitting the race in two seperate subraces somehow and assigning each a different favored class.

Also, your welcome!
    "One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere."