New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: ToB Barbarian

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default ToB Barbarian

I'm currently working on a ToB fixed version of the Samurai, and that got me thinking...why don't we update the PHB melee classes for the DMs that prefer ToB? Fighter is easily replaced with Warblade, Paladin with Crusader, and Monk with Swordsage. But what about the Barbarian and Ranger? Well, here are my maneuver using variants on those classes. What do you think?

Barbarian

Krusk, a Half-Orc Barbarian.

Hit Die: d12
    Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier (x4 at 1st level)
    Class Skills: Balance(Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore(Int), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble(Dex)

{table=head]Level|
    Base Attack[br]Bonus
    |
    Fort[br]Save
    |
    Ref[br]Save
    |
    Will[br]Save
    |
    Maneuvers[br]Known
    |
    Maneuvers[br]Readied
    |
    Stances[br]Known
    |Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    |
    |
    |Fast movement, illiteracy, rage 1/day

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    |
    |
    |Uncanny dodge

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    |
    |
    |

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    |
    |
    |Rage 2/day

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    |
    |
    |Improved uncanny dodge

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    |
    |
    |

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    |
    |
    |Damage reduction 1/—

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    |
    |
    |Rage 3/day

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    |
    |
    |

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    |
    |
    |Damage reduction 2/—

11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    |
    |
    |Greater rage

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    |
    |
    |Rage 4/day

13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    |
    |
    |Damage reduction 3/—

14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    |
    |
    |Indomitable will

15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    |
    |
    |

16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    |
    |
    |Damage reduction 4/—, rage 5/day

17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    |
    |
    |Tireless rage

18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    |
    |
    |

19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    |
    |
    |Damage reduction 5/—

20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    |
    |
    |Mighty rage, rage 6/day[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Maneuvers: You begin your career with knowledge of one martial maneuver. The disciplines available to you are Desert Wind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw.

Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it (see Maneuvers Readied, below). A maneuver usable by barbarians is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in it's description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. You learn additional maneuvers at higher levers as shown on the table above. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered barbarian level thereafter, you can chose to learn a new maneuver in place of one you already know. The new maneuver may be of any level you can learn. You can swap only a single maneuver at any given level.

Maneuvers Readied: You ready your maneuvers by exercising for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you chose remain readied until you decide to exercise again and change them. You do not need to sleep or rest for any long period of time to ready your maneuvers.

You begin every encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, regardless of how much you may have used them since you chose them. When you initiate a maneuver you expend it for the current encounter.

You can recover one expended maneuver by spending a Standard Action to attack an opponent or you can recover all expended maneuvers by using a full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity to voluntarily end a rage (you must be raging to recover maneuvers in this manner).

Stances Known: You begin play with knowledge of one 1st level stance from any discipline open to barbarians. At 6th level, and ever 6 levels thereafter (12th and 18th), you can chose additional stances. Unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. All the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you are currently using as a swift action. A stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated int he stance description.

Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stances at higher levels in place of one you already know.

Fast Movement (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Illiteracy: As the Barbarian ability.

Rage (Ex): As the Barbarian ability. You may use maneuvers while raging. Using a maneuver while raging reduces the duration of your Rage by 1 round.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Damage Reduction (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Greater Rage (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Indomitable Will (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Tireless Rage (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Mighty Rage (Ex): As the Barbarian ability.

Ex-Barbarians
    A barbarian who becomes lawful loses the ability to rage and cannot gain more levels as a barbarian. He retains all the other benefits of the class (damage reduction, fast movement, trap sense, and uncanny dodge).
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-05-14 at 03:23 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: ToB Barbarian

Hmmm...

If I'm not mistaken, this class is an exact duplicate of the barbarian, plus maneuvers and stances. If so, this class is probably overpowered. Is that your intention, or are you looking for a ToB equivalent?
    Member of the Society to Preserve Classic Rock (SPCR). If you rock out every day and just can't stand all this new "music", copy this into your sig.

Guitar Hero is awesome. Deal with it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    I'm currently working on a ToB fixed version of the Samurai, and that got me thinking...why don't we update the PHB melee classes for the DMs that prefer ToB?
    That right there answers it, actually.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Considering a Warblade gets the same HD, same BAB, same Saves, and more maneuvers, but the Barbarian gets more class features, it'll probably work out okay.

The added options alone (no matter how few) will go great lengths to making the class more fun to play.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

KKL, I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

Xefas pretty much got it right. Barbarians are generally considered to be right in the middle in terms of power, and that'll put them notably lower than ToB classes and infinitely lower than casters.

Since the Barb has nearly the same problem as the Fighter while playing where you just Rage, charge, attack, and repeat the maneuvers really add some variety. Since I didn't alter the normal class features too much, aside from removing Trap Sense, I tried to balance the maneuvers against Rage.

It's not terribly inventive, but then that's why you post it for comments, eh?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    KKL, I'm not really sure what you mean by that.
    Ah, my bad. I probably should've quoted what statement I was referring to. I was answering the following.
    Is that your intention, or are you looking for a ToB equivalent?
    I don't have much to offer, though. All I can say is that it looks solid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Desert Wind feels really off for a Barbarian; breathing fire, running around a field and such just doesn't feel like the kickassery Barbarian is made of, and for. Tiger Claw is definitely correct and Stone Dragon too; Iron Heart has some maneuvers with Barbarian feel (Iron Heart SURGE!), but the whole idea of weapon mastery is pretty much irrelevant to a Barb.

I would consider making Barbs more of a Tiger Claw-focused class; Bloodclaw Master has the Shifting-ability which is just another form of Rage and overall, Tiger Claw seems to capture the Barbarian best.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Desert Wind I kind of refluffed a little in my head. Think of Barbs from desert or arid mountain, and plateau country. They're harnessing their environment and heat, and their own inner power and rage into concentrated bursts of damage.

Iron Heart I agree had the worst fit, but I figured it'd give you a change to make some barbarians like those from Diablo 2. Not all Barbs have to be mindless. And some will be intelligent enough to really work on their weapons mastery. The original reason I tossed it in was for things like Iron Heart Surge, with just fits so well.

And yeah, Tiger Claw is great. The only reason I didn't focus on it more was because I know a lots of barbarians don't dual wield, And they need some 1 or 2 handed options.