New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Who thinks Nale is pathetic?

Considering the fact that he had to waste all of his levels trying to be a "jack of all trades".............This is really pathetic since he wasted more levels needlessly complicated multi-classing to virtually get the same skills as his useless bardic twin without the perks.....Even if he took the easier road and became a bard in the first place he would have been laughed out of the 9 hells as a joke, an "evil bard"? Who has ever heard of an "evil bard"........

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Who thinks Nale is pathetic?

Yeah, he's pretty pathetic. His build is worse in pretty much every way than straight bard. He's got less magic, less skills, and less attack bonus. He could have chosen spells not available to bards, but he didn't. His HP at least are about comparable (the fighter levels about make up for the sorcerer levels), but no better.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

That's the joke.
    Also, evil bards can be damn scary.

Imagine, if you will, a travelling entertainer. This entertainer will travel from town to town, spending a night or two, singing songs and having a good time. However, when morning comes, the townspeople are all dead or missing, the village ransacked and destroyed, and the entertainer is nowhere to be seen.
    That isn't music that tames the beast within, that's for sure.

I need to keep that.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well at least he has sneak attacks, not very powerfull ones, but it's always usefull when you run out of spells, and he also got bonus fighting feats. I'm sure that if someone was to try a rogue/figther/sorcerer, he could be usefull in a small party of like three peoples. And it can be good for surprises during a fight. You see a guy cast a spell, so he must be a sorcerer with low hp. You attack him, he tumbles his way out, go hide soomewhere, sneaks attack you and drop like death from a rooftop to end you with a powerattack. Then you ask what the hell was that to the DM, and he answer, "XP penality."

And evil bards are quite usefull in massive engagements where their magical bonuses apply to hundreds of people.
    Life is meanless if you don't play games.
    My favorite line in all OotS :
    "Dude, don't taunt the god-killing abomination."
    Loki

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nale is a wuss. Except for capturing Elan he has never won anything. And even then he still lost half his team(again)

6. - Top - End - #6

SolithKnightGuy

That's the point of Nale, really. He's not half as formidable as he thinks he is. If Elan gets a few more levels in Dashing Swordman, Nale would probably have trouble even threatening him.

Well, except that that would render him pointless, so Nale will probably find a Presige class of his own. If nothing else, maintaining the "evil opposite" theme requires it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

What is the evil opposite of a dashing swordman?
    Loki

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinofshojo View Post
    ..Even if he took the easier road and became a bard in the first place he would have been laughed out of the 9 hells as a joke, an "evil bard"? Who has ever heard of an "evil bard"........
    I'd consider Michael Jackson an evil bard....maybe Michael Bolton too.
    Last edited by B.I.T.T.; 2008-06-06 at 12:11 AM.
    "Nobody likes a screaming clown. It puts one off one's feed." - Lore Sjoberg

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I find his character as pathetic as Draco Malfoy, an idiot who uses a flimsy excuse to devote his life to obsessivly stalking someone who just wants to get on with his life. Squickness doubles due to the whole twin thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.T.T. View Post
    I'd consider Michael Jackson an evil bard....maybe Michael Bolton too.
    Not an evil bard, a summon!

Anti heroes #22

The guy got some awesome fear effects.
    Loki

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As pointed out many times Nale is someone who thinks he is smart and has to prove it. However he is not that smart and tends to outsmart himself with overly elaborate plans. His build is of someone who tries to game the system and fails miserably.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    That's the point of Nale, really. He's not half as formidable as he thinks he is. If Elan gets a few more levels in Dashing Swordman, Nale would probably have trouble even threatening him.

Well, except that that would render him pointless, so Nale will probably find a Presige class of his own. If nothing else, maintaining the "evil opposite" theme requires it.
    Maybe he goes michel Jackson and takes "Smooth criminal"...

After all "he's bad, he's bad, you know it"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

that and as V pointed out, all his plans required no real thought in their construction as they are actually fairly predictable plot turns.

his first one, the Machiavelli style one? so obvious, as everyone knows that twins are always evil opposites, and that it was obvious that he just using them for this relatively simple plan.
    Step one: get three pure hearted people to touch runes
    Step Two: Get Talisman of Dorukan
    Step Three: kill pure hearted people
    Step four: Conquer stuff.

the second one, where he kidnaps Roy's sister? also simple.
    Step one: kidnap sister
    Step Two: lure Order of the Stick into trap
    Step three: Pull the Ol' Switcheroo
    Step Four: Kill them in their sleep.

see? anyone with an Int of 12 could have thought up with that.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

At least he's got some formidable saves.
    Belkar's Bad to the Bone.
    Dispossible a fetter hein and bemay kine a sinder's tock.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

His patheticness is probably what lead to his father denying him.

It'd be funny if Nale was driven mad simply by an inability to become a bard because of his father's dissaproval.
    Last edited by krossbow; 2008-06-06 at 01:09 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

At least he's got some formidable saves.
    Actually, he lags behind a true bard there, too. At level 12 (i.e., just before Elan got his PrC, to keep things fair), a true bard has base save bonuses of +4 Fort, +8 Ref, +8 Will. The rogue/fighter/sorcerer, meanwhile, has somewhere in the vicinity of +6 Fort, +6 Ref, +6 Will (depending on exactly how many levels he has of each).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I always thought Hexblade/Beguiller would have been a better choice for Nale (I know he'd lose Sneak Attack, but, assuming he had a good Int stat, he would get more spells out of it). PrC-wise, he'll probably take some Eldrick Knight and Arcane Trickster levels due to wanting to persist in trying to master everything rather then focussing on becoming excellent in one area (the DS class improved Elan's combat skills a lot).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Haha. That's rich. Nale with a good INT modifier.

I personally think Nale would make a good Blackguard.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

How very dare you. You promised to never make another Xykon thread! Darn loop-holes!

Considering the fact that he had to waste all of his levels trying to be a "jack of all trades".............This is really pathetic since he wasted more levels needlessly complicated multi-classing to virtually get the same skills as his useless bardic twin without the perks.....Even if he took the easier road and became a bard in the first place he would have been laughed out of the 9 hells as a joke, an "evil bard"? Who has ever heard of an "evil bard"........
    That's the entire joke! His classes are overly-complicated and un-needed,(Elan can beat him). Matches his personality.

Evil bard? Eldoth.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Who has ever heard of an "evil bard"........
    Well, there's Asmodean of the Forsaken... which does little to disprove your point, but hey! It's happened.
    If loving makes me Lawful Evil, then I don't wanna be Neutral Good!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Nale is a wuss. Except for capturing Elan he has never won anything. And even then he still lost half his team(again)
    Really? The only reason his original plot failed was a huge against-the-odds shot by . When the Goat turns, and all that...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

In regards to evil Bards, there is a variant called the Harbinger on Crystal Keep which debuffs enermies which can't be good aligned.

EDIT: It's on pge 16 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf . It looks weaker then normal Bards to to targets getting Will saves to counter their song's effects.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-06-06 at 04:58 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I think Nale is really funny, everytime I think at the concept of "band of evil opposite, led by Elan's evil twin, who want to be a clichè villain", it cracks me.

But I don't find him pathetic. His plans are good. He was going to destroy the order twice, and they saved only by sheer luck, both times. You try to predict your opponent's move with that accuracy.
    Yes, his ego is much bigger than him. I don't think V really intended that he's stupid, he was just stimulating Nale's ego to recognize him.
    Anyway, I find him ridiculous, for the "villain clichè" stuff, the "needlessy complicated unfavorable multiclassing" and the "taking disproportioned revenge over quasi-imagined slights". Poor Nale, all he wanted from life was being a serious villain...
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

He's first plan was okay, and I agree with you about luck saving the Order. On the other hand, the 2nd battle was poorly thought out (the entire LG, preferably with a Wizard with a descent amount of levels) could have easily killed Roy, and Thog could have killed Elan while the rest of the LG were helping Leeky and his trees (they would have probably still been destroyed by Durkon, but it would have at least worked better then Nale's "switch with Elan" plan).
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Hm.... It's hard to judge his plans... they are sooo old fashioned, ut it's right, they mainly failed by chance/luck/whatsoever. But still... e.g. when V tricked him into giving up his cover he just lost to his huge ego. It was just lame.

I'm not sure about his class combo, but I think an evil bard might work our just well... As already declared, he might use his songs/mind confusing spells to raid some villages... As the er... what is 'Rattenfänger von Hameln' in English? ^^' Rat hunter of Hamel or so, if you know the legend...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

He's called the Pied Piper over here. That could work (Nale appears to have a Cha of at least 15 due to his use of several Sending scrolls, so that would work, apart from the face that he's Laful rather then Neutral or Chaotic).
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

I think Nale is awesome.

Yes, he has a lousy choice of classes, but as others have pointed out, he will eventually take a Prestige Class of his own, something that no doubt harmonizes well with what he has going on. (perhaps a Thrall to whoever-his-girl serves class)

At any rate, Nale is awesome because he is a self-aware villain, in much the way several other characters are self-aware. (self-aware in this case meaning breaking the 4th wall; being aware that he is a running gag and always trying to live up to character)

Also, having crappy choices for his character kind of makes sense, from a logical standpoint.

Think about it: He makes poor choices, then blames others for his failures. That's the classic villain for you right there.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The thing that makes me like Nale is that, not only is he the opposite of Elan, he's the polar opposite of XYCON.

Xycon is an overly powerful buffoon with a great/OP class. He wades into battles without any plan whatsoever, and attempts to brute force defeat them. Furthermore, he's so overwhelmingly strong that its only because of his idiocy that he's beatable.

Nale on the other hand is incredibly weak. He's near useless in a fight, not even being able to neutralize Pre-prestige class ELAN, and could only run in fear of Roy. However, he's still a competent villian due to pre-planning all his schemes out, only going in once he has things set up. While He may personally display stupidity, his plans do not, and they almost always fall into the mold of a Xanatos gambit; heck, he usually has a way to escape incarceration should they fail.

Nale is the Chessmaster type villian; Xycon is the Uber-god type villian (contrast Sylar with The organization in Heroes)

29. - Top - End - #29

MindFlayer

Re Nale's overall competence: He cares about style and does many things against his better judgment, so his intelligence or lack thereof is hard to judge. Wasted potential? Definitely. Awful or awesome? YMMV.

Re Evil Bards: I don't the concept laughable at all. Engineering conflicts and betrayals purely as inspiration for one's art... or, the other way round, setting up real-life events to mirror renowned tragedies would be rather chilling. On a more mundane level, preying on the tasteless (especially those producing bad art) might be another appropriate theme.
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic" - Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    On the other hand, the 2nd battle was poorly thought out (the entire LG, preferably with a Wizard with a descent amount of levels) could have easily killed Roy, and Thog could have killed Elan while the rest of the LG were helping Leeky and his trees (they would have probably still been destroyed by Durkon, but it would have at least worked better then Nale's "switch with Elan" plan).
    You missed the entire point of the second battle.

Nale doesn't care about killing the OOTS, Nale cares about making Elan (and only Elan) suffer. Having Thog kill Elan would have defeated the point, because Elan would have been dead. You can't suffer when you're dead. Roy, Belkar, Durkon, Haley, etc. only matter to Nale because they are Elan's friends, and Elan would know they were suffering. He considered it far more painful to Elan for him to sit in a jail cell, powerless, knowing that his brother was tricking them and killing them one by one, then to defeat them quickly in battle.

What makes Nale different from the other villains is that Nale's evil is the evil of inflicting personalized pain. Xykon will kill you because he's bored, Redcloak will kill you because you're opposing him, but Nale will slowly torture you to death while systematically destroying the things/people you cherish most in front of your eyes. Neither Xykon nor Redcloak will even bother learning what you cherish most!
    Last edited by SPoD; 2008-06-06 at 01:10 PM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.