New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Quadruple-wielding?

Out of curiosity, is there a number of attacks that would make two-weapon fighting viable as an alternative to two-handed fighting? I ask, because rule of cool is seriously making me consider a dolgrim warrior quadruple-wielding longswords. Also, with the two 'primary' hands dolgrim get, does that mean two attacks on a standard action? And, finally, does quick draw work both ways, drawing and sheathing?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Quadruple-wielding?

Are you talking about attacking with four hands? IE: Multiweapon fighting feat?

And to my knowledge regardless of how many primary hands you have, (see: Monk's Unarmed Strike) attacking more than once is always a full attack action. More primary hands just means more damage.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The feat you're looking for is Multi-Weapon Fighting. I'm sure there's a point where it's viable, but I just don't know when without bonus damage.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Out of curiosity, is there a number of attacks that would make two-weapon fighting viable as an alternative to two-handed fighting? I ask, because rule of cool is seriously making me consider a dolgrim warrior quadruple-wielding longswords. Also, with the two 'primary' hands dolgrim get, does that mean two attacks on a standard action? And, finally, does quick draw work both ways, drawing and sheathing?
    Quadruple-wielding is only available to mutated beings and monkeys and monkey-like beings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I suspect there might be some potential to this with Psychic Warrior. There are some powers that let you add extra damage to your weapons. The problem here is that it would take several actions on them all. Medium BAB is also a problem, but that can be fixed by going into Slayer.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

6. - Top - End - #6

Yes, I know all about the multiweapon fighting chain. That's what's written on the sheet, anyway. You know, now that I think about it, are there multiweapon equivalents to the rest of the two-weapon feats? I.E, multiweapon defense, multiweapon rend, multiweapon pounce, Oversized multiweapon fighting, etc, etc, etc?

And Dallas? Dolgrim pretty much are mutated little freaks of nature.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2008-05-16 at 12:57 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know what's fun?
    Get Multi-Weapon Fighting.
    Get two dancing swords.
    Get two other, similar swords.
    Get two Gloves of Storing.
    Store a mundane sword in one Glove and a Dancing Sword in the other. Sheathe thee other two swords.
    When combat starts, draw a mundane sword from it's sheath and a Dancing Sword from a Glove, and command it to Dance.
    Next round, draw the other Dancing Sword and make it Dance, then draw your other mundane sword from it's sheath.
    Now you're a maelstrom of whirling death, and you only need two hands and two rounds for it.

For clarity, can a Dancing Sword attack on the round it's loosed? And does it use the PC's actions to attack? Because the way we play, it's yes and no, respectively, but I'm not sure how correct that is.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

First crappy homebrew, the Arcane Gambler PrC. PEACH please!

Second crappy homebrew. Click here if you want alignments to be more confusing.

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" -Auron, Final Fantasy X

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Quadruple-wielding is only available to mutated beings and monkeys and monkey-like beings.
    And Thri-Keen.

On 2H VS 2W: No. It never becomes 'better' to have Two-Weapon Fighting(or Multi-Weapon Fighting) over an ubercharger capable of dealing a thousand points of damage or more.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    And Thri-Keen.

On 2H VS 2W: No. It never becomes 'better' to have Two-Weapon Fighting(or Multi-Weapon Fighting) over an ubercharger capable of dealing a thousand points of damage or more.
    Unless you have obscene amounts of bonus damage. A Rogue that takes a few PrCs that give +1d6 Sneak Attack at 1st level can get +12d6 or more Sneak Attack at 20th level. Add in Craven (adds your character level to sneak attack damage) and a bunch of weapon enchantments that each add 1 or 2 d6s of damage (flaming, frost, shock, holy, etc.), and you can do lot of damage per attack. Extra attacks, obviously, makes this a lot stronger. No, it can't get to the same level of ridiculousness as a charge build with Pounce, but it can be very powerful.

Basically, if Shock Trooper and all ways of getting Pounce are unavailable, the two-weapon fighter may be able to keep up. If not, there's no way.

@V: Shock Trooper lets you take the Power Attack to-hit penalty to your AC instead. Therefore, you can power attack for full without reducing your chances of hitting. Since having a big penalty to your armor isn't a problem if everything around you is dead, it pretty much lets you power attack for full for free.
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2008-05-16 at 03:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmm... Wait a sec. Leap attack doubles PA for anything but a two-hander, and triples for a two-hander. With Two-weapon pounce, you'd be eating another -2 penalty, but you'd get 4x the PA. Then bonus attacks from improved two-weapon, greater two-weapon, all that, and the damage applies to them all. Are we approaching competitive now? And with four arms, it's x8.

Forgive me, I don't really know what shock trooper does, so ignore this if shock trooper completely negates this idea.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Yes, I know all about the multiweapon fighting chain. That's what's written on the sheet, anyway. You know, now that I think about it, are there multiweapon equivalents to the rest of the two-weapon feats? I.E, multiweapon defense, multiweapon rend, multiweapon pounce, Oversized multiweapon fighting, etc, etc, etc?
    Written? No, but they're the easiest things in the world to homebrew. It's almost never more than a search-replace of things like 'off-hand weapon' with 'all your off-hand weapons.'

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

And Thri-Keen.
    The Insectile Template has six arms, unless you insist on a very literal interpretation of the rules as they are written.

On 2H VS 2W: No. It never becomes 'better' to have Two-Weapon Fighting(or Multi-Weapon Fighting) over an übercharger capable of dealing a thousand points of damage or more.
    Not everyone plays the game to deal out 1337 damage. And some DMs are not too fond of overuse of curdled dairy products.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Justyn View Post
    Not everyone plays the game to deal out 1337 damage. And some DMs are not too fond of overuse of curdled dairy products.
    Ok, let's even assume you're not really optimising. The 2HF beats the 2-4WF hands down.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

And Thri-Keen.
    And Chitines. Chitines actually get multiweapon fighting as a bonus feat.

I've always wanted to play a Thrikeen with 4 two-bladed swords. Just 'cos it'd look so cool.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

15. - Top - End - #15

You mean, two two bladed swords. It requires two hands to wield one of them.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: Quadruple-wielding?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecalsneerg View Post
    Ok, let's even assume you're not really optimising. The 2HF beats the 2-4WF hands down.

2HF > 2WF

I don't know if 4WF>2HF...but I think that

4HF>4WF

I think that,speaking of 4 creature with 4 arms,they will probably wield the 2H weapon with 4 arms (adding 2.5 STR modifier IIRC)...

Sure,4WF is badass...but I think that 2WF with double weapons is even MORE badass...ore 2-wielding Greatsword...

I love Thri-keen and their Gythka. Or insectile 3-kreen

A question: a creature with 4 arms,can use 2 bows? or 4 crossbows?
    I'm from Italy. So,sorry for my bad English!

Thanks A LOT to Nevitan for the fantastic Avatar!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Well, there's always the abomination of Monkey Grip + Oversized TWF (modified for MWF)

Wouldn't be the most efficient thing out there, but it would look pretty scary (to anyone who didn't know better).

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Brief, rough example to show what's better, and why.

Two handed weapon (we'll just say it's a greatsword):

2d6 + (1.5 * strength mod) + power attack penalty x 2 + extra weapon bonuses.

Two weapon fighting (we'll say, for simplicity, two short swords)

1d6 + strength mod + power attack penalty + extra weapon bonuses
    1d6 + (.5 * strength mod) + power attack penalty + extra weapon bonuses

Now, we can see that, without taking anything other than damage into account (which is like suspending reality over a tub of lava) theoretically Two Weapon Fighting is minorly, marginally, better.
    However...
    You need to add in that you need the Two-Weapon fighting feat to do the above.
    And that you get a -2 penalty to each attack.
    And that you generally need a full attack to attack with both weapons (otherwise you need to spend a feat to ignore that).

Now something that people often bandy about is "You have to enchant two weapons." This, as odd as it may seem, is actually one of the benefits of two weapon fighting. You're probably going "whaaaa? You need to enchant them both, that means it costs more, right?"
    Technically. Let me pull up the facts.

The point of having two weapons is that you, indeed, have two weapons. So when you attack, you get to deal damage with both, yes?
    Thus, what makes it better to have both weapons in terms of enchantment bonuses alone is that you get the enchantment bonuses of two swords as opposed to the two-handed fighter's one.

This makes it more cost effective to deal more enhancement damage for a two weapon fighter, because the magic item pricing gets exponentially more expensive the higher of an enchantment you get.
    For example: you can get a +5 and a +6 worth of a enchantments on two swords for almost the same price (actually a little less) as a single sword with +8 worth of enchantments.
    Alternately, if lower level, you can get two +2 swords for less cost than a single +3 sword.
    Etc.
    Granted, this doesn't make two weapon fighting more viable and efficient overall than two handed fighting, but I did want to dispel that little myth. Generally, if you're smart and clever with your enchantment choices, you'll be able to get more out of two weapons than out of one weapon in terms of magic items alone.

However... the point of all this is certainly that 4 weapon fighting is going to be much more potent than using a single two handed weapon fighting. It's practically just multiplication. Sure you might miss a little bit more, but you have four chances to hit, and even if only two or three hit, you're dealing more damage than the single two hander.
    Still, as its more feat intensive to do multi weapon fighting, so I might advise taking a class such as *gasp* fighter. At least for a few levels.

Presumably two two handers would similarly be more viable than four single handed weapons (just because, again, it's like the above formulas, except twice), but I don't feel like really looking into the math.

@ Duke:
    To quote:
    A creature wielding a two-bladed sword in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
    So just use a long sword. =P
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2008-05-16 at 08:17 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    So just use a long sword. =P
    Should still be able to do MG + OMWF with greatswords. Now, why you'd want to do that is another story.

Oh, and the T/MWF guy typically isn't power attacking, because he's using light weapons in the off hand(s), unless he took OT/MWF

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

A single big weapon also pulls ahead of multiple weapons as soon as you get iterative attacks. At first level, the two-sword guy gets two attacks each at 1d6, to the greatsword guy's one attack at 2d6, but at 6th level, the two-sword guy gets three attacks at 1d6, while the greatsword guy gets two attacks at 2d6. If the two-sword guy wants to keep up, he has to pour in yet more feats to get extra attacks with his other weapon, too.

On the subject of ubercharging, though, remember that Pounce will help both builds, and with enough hands or natural weapons, helps the multiarmed mutant freak of nature monkey more than the greatsworder. A thri-kreen totemist 2/rogue 10/warblade 7 with the right feats could charge with 16 attacks, each of them dealing 5d6+20 sneak attack damage, and I could probably optimize that further, except that I'm away from my books at the moment.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Hi

Just a thought on a similar vein. What about Druids with Pounce feat wearing Rhino Hide armour? In Dire Ape form casts Girallon's Blessing & charges. Good chance of rend, plus extra 2D6 dam with each hit. (Plus any other bonus).

Even worse with Master Many Forms in Troll Form.

As I said - just a thought

Cheers
    Paul H

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

I want to wield three swords. Two in my hands and one in my mouth...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Musician View Post
    Yes, don't we all want a blad in the mouth? I know I do.

But the idea you want is a prehensile tounge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Musician View Post
    Way to go "Zolo".

Collin: The concept of using a prehensile tongue to wield a sword is both really cool, and quite horrifying. Imagine the horror of having that weapon disarmed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

25. - Top - End - #25

Wow, so there IS cheese for MWF.

Muahahaha.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Okay, I know what I'm about to ask isn't optimized... at all.

But what if I wanted to play, say, a Dolgrim Soulknife. The rules say the Mindblade is a "semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from his own mind." And... Dolgrims have two minds, right? That's where the idea gets me interested. If they have dual conciousness, it's not a far stretch to say they could summon two Mind Blades, is it? And then, at Soulknife 5, make four Shortsword Mind Blades, and quadruple-wield. Or two short swords and a bastard sword.

Take multiweapon fighting (though no oversized needed) and that whole line, enchant each Mind Blade separately, so as to be able to utilize all the best enchantments. Splash Rogue or Assassin for flavor. Walk around "unarmed." When the time is right, call the blades and be a concealed whirlwind of death.

I like the idea, but is the dual-conciousness = 2 Mind Blades a viable idea? As a DM, would you allow it?

...not to mention allowing someone to play as a Dolgrim...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    Collin: The concept of using a prehensile tongue to wield a sword is both really cool, and quite horrifying. Imagine the horror of having that weapon disarmed.
    Hmm...
    Forget the sword, I just want that tongue.

28. - Top - End - #28

I can't believe you guys forgot Xill, they're even core with quad weapon fighting rules.

One hand counts as you're main hand, any others count as off hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    And Chitines. Chitines actually get multiweapon fighting as a bonus feat.

I've always wanted to play a Thrikeen with 4 two-bladed swords. Just 'cos it'd look so cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    It does not! I can play a giant bug with four two-bladed swords, one per hand:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Sword, Two-Bladed

A two-bladed sword is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. A creature wielding a two-bladed sword in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
    Not really that optimised, but wouldn't he look cool?

For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

You guys are missing the real twinkie goodness of MWF.

First, if you really think THF wins, then do both - 4 arms with MWF can mean wielding 2 Greatswords, can't it?

If you really want to do multiple attacks though - get your cleric, druid, wizard or sorcerer to cast Girallon's Blessing on you (or GISH and do it yourself). Level 3 spell from Spell Compendium, gives you 2 more arms. Now you can wield 6 weapons (or 3 two-handed weapons if you prefer).

How long would it take the 2 armed fighter to catch up with THAT damage potential?

-Dyllan