New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 20353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2047
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Beating Batman: Sir Giacomo's Guide to Monks

I'm a little late for the party, but my thoughts on making a monk playable come down to this: When I think about playing a monk, I think Shaolin-esque martial arts monks from Chinese cinema, comics and fiction with lots of nifty powers and esoteric abilities. As such, the Monk class in and of itself generally feels incomplete to me, but just needs a little something to make it more playable. And that's the Psionics Handbook.

*waits for the groans and cringes to die down*

Sue me, I find a lot of the Psionic abilities to be very good at enhancing a Monks abilities and giving them "powers" that make them feel more Monk-like, including walking on water, climbing walls, surviving without food or water, etc.

Generally speaking, using just the Psionics and Players Handbook, I build a Psionic Warrior 2 / Monk 8 / Psionic Fist 10. The Psi-Warrior gives access to some nice bonus feats (and you no longer have to waste a feat on Psionic Talent, as levels in Psionic Warrior substitute for the feat, at least at my table), a strong Fort Save to offset the weak Fort Save Psionic Fist has later, and a few extra power points and powers never hurt, especially when you can get Inertial Armor and Force Screen right off the bat.

For someone who wants to wear as littler armor as possible, those powers are crutial. Inertial Armor gives you a +4 AC for an hour per manifester level, letting a character at higher levels essentially activate it at the start of the day and have it for 10 hours before needing a recharge. Force Screen gives you the same AC, but for minutes per level, letting it be something to have at the start of the fight. Assuming a fairly high Dex and Wisdom, a relatively low level Psi-Warrior/Monk can have an AC in the mid-twenties with the expenditure of two powers, both of which count as Touch AC, before things like Bracers of Armor are brought into play.

The BAB suffers slightly from this class combo, but Feats such as Weapon Finess and Unavoidable Strike help take care of it. Feats like Psionic Fist/Greater Psionic Fist, Up The Walls, Speed of Thought, Psionic Meditation, Psionic Dodge, Focused Sunder and Mental Leap all have varrying degrees of Monk-like feel to them and can help out in combat quite a bit. Just being Psionically Focused with some of those feats gives you a +1 to your AC and +10 to your movement radius. Greater Psionic Fist adding an extra 4d6 to your damage isn't too shabby either, especially since expending a Psionic Focus can trigger multiple feats (at least as I understand it).

The Psionic Powers can also be used to do things like further enhance a Monks Grappling bonuses, give you a total DR of 7/-, transfer your damage to an opponent with a touch attack, so forth and so on. The Expanded Knowledge Feat also allows you to take other Psionic Powers as your own, so if you want to be a Psionic Monk that can chuck balls of energy with the best of them, that option is open to you.

I don't know if it ever makes a Monk the equal of a spell caster (and frankly few things can), but the Psionics definitely go a way towards making the Monk feel more like a cinematic martial arts monk with lots of nifty chi techniques than the standard Monk. Take that as you will.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    Note that he can UMD Death Ward.
    In which case he gets whacked with a Greater Dispel Magic in the first round of the stun.

And if he UMD's a scroll of Mind Blank so that the PW:S won't hurt him then I will just kill him with wands of magic missile. If 9th level spells are allowed them my first action will be a Disjunction followed by the above.

Actually I think I will start with a Targeted Greater Dispel Magic in the first place. My CL is high enough that I will auto succeed to dispel all his buff's.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Signmakerens View Post

On the subject of familiars: Familiars are great, when chosen correctly. It is also nifty that a good portion of the familiars with hands also possess other nifty abilities! Ice Mephit is my personal favorite, but I do believe there's also a devil that fits the bill. Ice Mephit as an example:

1. DR 5/magic. For a familiar with HP half of the caster's this is quite useful.
    2. Breath Weapon. -4 to AC and -2 to Attack rolls is, again, quite useful.
    3. Darkvision.
    4. Immunity to Cold. This is somewhat of an issue, because this is coupled with Vulnerability to Fire. I'm willing to take the risk, however, and possibly outfit my favorite familiar with a Ring of Fire Resistance.
    5. Flight. Please, do try and smash my familiar with a greatsword. See where it gets you.
    6. A Charisma score of 15. This, combined with a Circlet of Persuasion, and the Wizard's ranks in UMD, grant a MINIMUM UMD of +15. For a backup's purposes, this is sufficient, but note that this is 7th level, the bare minimum to get an Ice Mephit. By 10th level, you'll only need a 2 or higher. Outfit your Mephit with partially-charged wands (Hey, your own concept! Of course, I intend to buy the full 50-charge package), and you've got Batgirl.

PLEASE, Stick to being Robin, and not the Joker. You will, as the Joker usually does, FAIL. You can even Perform (Wordplay)!
    All of which can be obtained with the leadership feat. And more. Why get a wand wielder? Get yourself a whole caster!

- Giacomo

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    All of which can be obtained with the leadership feat. And more. Why get a wand wielder? Get yourself a whole caster!

- Giacomo
    Do realize though that Familiar is a class feature. Therefore a Wizard can have the Familiar AND the other caster if Leadership is allowed (god knows Wizards can afford the feat to burn). That's 3 casters and infinite circle magic abuse with the followers to the mere one caster that can be acquired via. Leadership. Leadership also requires Charisma...
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-06-11 at 05:27 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    Note that he can UMD Death Ward.
    So another round of buffing? Spent on a buff with Caster Level 7 that the caster can Dispel with ease?

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Bugbear in the Playground

- Giacomo
    Leadership allows for multiple cohorts. I'm talking one CLASS FEATURE, one creature, one job. Besides, a familiar is much more mobile in combat than an NPC is, and is more likely to actually help.

That, and no one likes Leadership.

Hope this doesn't ruin your "All classes are created balanced" theory.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

7. - Top - End - #1327

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    So another round of buffing? Spent on a buff with Caster Level 7 that the caster can Dispel with ease?
    Just mentioned it as a possibility.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Leadership allows for multiple cohorts. I'm talking one CLASS FEATURE, one creature, one job. Besides, a familiar is much more mobile in combat than an NPC is, and is more likely to actually help.

That, and no one likes Leadership.

Hope this doesn't ruin your "All classes are created balanced" theory.
    Do not worry, it does not. You see, it does not play any role (pun unintended!) in this roleplaying game what a class feature is and what not. Both wizard/sorcerer and others can get a pseudodragon or whatever with the leadership feat.
    A wizard then taking also leadership will get a penalty to the cohort he attracts.
    Arguing that npcs in the group due to class features is OK, but through a feat is not OK, is inconsistent in my eyes.
    It is very similar to the morph discussion. It's unbalanced and stupid if it's put on non-casters so it should be banned. But the moment the druid uses it 24/7 it just shows how cool the class is.

Will go to bed now...dreaming of the following joker monk tests...
    - level 6 playtest
    - level 6 grappling test (actually, only with the joker's big brother)
    - level 10 duel vs wizard
    - level 16 duel vs wizard

- Giacomo

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

PS: forgot one thing on both wizard duels:
    No phantom steed brought into the arena already from the beginning. It is hours/level, but it is not a "buff" And in normal gameplay it will hardly be around all that time, since it is highly fragile.
    You may summon it in the buff round, though (if the joker monk is also allowed to summon creatures or even a phantom steed in a buff round). Ah...just noticed. Won't work, it's casting time 10 minutes. So it's likely out of the duel. Sorry.
    OK, to be fair: you could do it in a standard action with shadow conjuration emulating the phantom steed.

- Giacomo

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Banned

No phantom steed brought into the arena already from the beginning. It is hours/level, but it is not a "buff" And in normal gameplay it will hardly be around all that time, since it is highly fragile.
    Giacomo, you are getting desperate.

11. - Top - End - #1331

You may summon it in the buff round, though (if the joker monk is also allowed to summon creatures or even a phantom steed in a buff round). Ah...just noticed. Won't work, it's casting time 10 minutes. So it's likely out of the duel. Sorry.
    OK, to be fair: you could do it in a standard action with shadow conjuration emulating the phantom steed.

- Giacomo
    So in other words run from everything that easily beats you. Just like you run away from any discussion of who does more damage in a round when you are mathematically proven to be wrong.

You know what, you should probably ban the casting of spells in the duel, and the casting of spells any time within 400 hours of the duel (Wizard only) so that you can have a chance.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yep, except
    - partially charged wands are OK as agreed before (since this is in DMG p. 199 for PCs created above 1st level and this is not an ongoing campaign). They will have 1/5th their partial charges, though (similar to the x5 cost of scrolls).
    - 28 pt buy, I guess anything higher will make monk doubters feel only reinforced in their MAD illusion.
    - No Question or multiclassing.
    - 10000 EXP? Okay.
    - 500 feet? Too far. What about the 30ft distance that Emperor Tippy suggested?
    -No Phantom Steed

- Giacomo
    1- I didn't agree to that. However, if you want us to pay full-price for wands with 10 charges on it, you go right on ahead.
    2- 32. Monks are MAD, you'll need it.
    3- Fine. I was going plain wizard 10 anyway.
    4- Actually, I wasn't, it was just a nice round number I decided on.
    , and I figured you'd want some extra EXP to help bring the cost of items down yourself since you use so many of them. However, if you want to go less, 5000 is fine too.
    5- Pssh, I thought your monk build loved more buff time? Besides, long range open-field battles are pretty common in some campaigns... Fine. The sphere is 500 feet in cirumference rather than Diameter. In such a sphere, we'd never be more than 250 feet away from each other. That means you're never more than 2 turns away from your subject, since you full-move and charge at 120 feet/round and have a 10-foot reach, right? That gives me one extra buffing turn at most if you decide to come at me.

About Phantom Steed- Sorry, no dice. We have to draw the line somewhere, and you'll just start banning one thing after another if we let you.
    "Oh, no Dispel Magic- That's taking away my equipment, and we can't have that."
    "Oh, no Flight- It's not fair you can move in 3 dimensions."
    "Magic missile? That's simply bypassing my monk's main feature- high saves and spell resistance. Only SR-Yes Save-Yes spells allowed."
    So in short, No. Especially since your reasoning is flawed, but I'm not going to get into it. Polymorph line, gate, and Timestop are the only core spells I'll give up. Anything else is you just stacking the deck in your favor and saying "Oh, see how great the monk is when wizards lack their class features?"
    I'll only agree to it if you give up Stunning Fist and Leadership. Otherwise, you'll just have to have you "invincible monk build" find a way around it.

Unless you want to concede. I'm fine with that too.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Firbolg in the Playground

No phantom steed brought into the arena already from the beginning. It is hours/level, but it is not a "buff"
    It is a buff.

And in normal gameplay it will hardly be around all that time, since it is highly fragile.
    Um no. It's a 4th level spell. Those slots mean next to nothing to a level 16 wizard. I will have it prepared multiple times and recast it when it goes away. When I run out I will cast MMM and rest for a day.

Again no. You are not the DM. Everyone is going out of their way to make this thing go in your favor. You aren't getting any more. The conditions were already set. If you want to face batman then you will face batman. Batman has a Phantom Steed up at all times, it being the best fly spell in the game.

Irrelevant. I get it.

So basically:
    Tough. Phantom Steed is in.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

14. - Top - End - #1334

You DARE deny Batman his batmobile? That's like taking away his utility belt!

15. - Top - End - #1335

DwarfFighterGuy

If the Joker denies Batman his Batmobile, than it's only fair for Batman to deny Joker his jokes.
    Last edited by marjan; 2008-06-11 at 07:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Troll in the Playground

But easier for the police to deal with.

17. - Top - End - #1337

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    But easier for the police to deal with.
    What police? Gotham has police? I thought they were mooks for the villains, much like thugs are mooks for Batman.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

What police? Gotham has police? I thought they were mooks for the villains, much like thugs are mooks for Batman.
    They have a commissioner and at least a couple of detectives. One assumes there are normal officers somewhere in the city.

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Not only do they have a commissioner... but they've got their own kick-butt SWAT team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_...ice_Department

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Um no. It's a 4th level spell.
    Actually, it's 3rd level, isn't it? That makes it even MORE expendable. Although I'm pretty sure a wizard is allowed to prepare a lower level spell in a higher level slot, at least with Heighten Spell.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

The Land Where 99 Men Weep and One Man Laughs

Dude, we're letting wall of X spells count as buffs in the Mage Slayer Test; if those count, phantom steed should.

"Mech is king."
    Heinz Guderian

Johann Kraus avatar courtesy of Beleth.

22. - Top - End - #1342

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mojotech View Post
    Actually, it's 3rd level, isn't it? That makes it even MORE expendable. Although I'm pretty sure a wizard is allowed to prepare a lower level spell in a higher level slot, at least with Heighten Spell.
    I think he was speaking of Shadow Conjuration which is 4th level.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Banned

My definition of a "buff" spell:

A spell which aids the caster in defense, offense, mobility, information gathering, or information denial, and does not carry any direct effect on the opponent.

Thus, any spell that allows for greater mobility and lasts hours/level, is certainly within the realms of a buff spell.

As for the fragile comment, there's no evidence to suggest that he just finished riding through the hordes of the Abyss. If you want to rule that the phantom steed has taken enough damage to destroy it pre-match, it's just as plausible to suggest that you have taken that equal amount of damage.

Again, please, show the reasoning for this ability (one that holds up) removal, as well as the reasoning for 9th level effects being banned.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    Again, please, show the reasoning for this ability (one that holds up) removal, as well as the reasoning for 9th level effects being banned.
    Because it is disadvantageous to him

25. - Top - End - #1345

hi

sorry if i'm interrupting something, but I didn't have the time to read through all of this ^.^;

i think the idea giacomo's got is interesting, but i'm no great optimizer.

stil, i want to ask a few questions to giacomo

what do you reccommend i do if i'm in a game without a lot of magic shops, and a stingy DM? cause they come up every now and again.

also, when i'm playing characters, i kinda have a tendency to spend a lot of money, so when i level up to like 5 i don't have 5 level wbl in gold, so what do i do if i want to play a monk like yours? is there some sort of budgeting trick or something?

thanks

-Stupendous Man
    Defender of Freedom, Advocate of Liberty, Nemisis of Tyranny

26. - Top - End - #1346

Enough of this banter! When and where will this ultimate showdown take place. I can't wait to see the monk get owned to see the fireworks.

PS: Giacomo, although I believe you fight in vain, I would love to see you succeed. Monks are a cool concept, even if underpowered.
    Last edited by Mushroom Ninja; 2008-06-13 at 08:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi again everyone,

first @ Stupendous_Man:
    Thanks for the feedback.
    When you're in a campaign with a DM who would not want magic shops, bazaars, or any kind of magic item/services trade and generally only few magic items (i.e. a "magic poor" campaign), then there are two things to consider
    1) Kindly ask your DM to also acknowledge that in such a world, spellcasters are way more powerful than non-casters (he/she basically deviates from the original rules balance). So he may either wish to include this in his campaign concept ("Wizards/clerics/dragons rule the world"!) and/or balance this by
    - disadvantaging spellcasters (for instance, increasing casting times, reducing no. of spells etc.) or
    - increasing the power of non-casters (say, give them natural spell resistances, higher saves, more feats or whatever).
    It is highly tricky - myself I have DMed campaigns with low magic and tried to somehow tackle what this means for the power of spellcasters.

2) In a magic-poor campaign, your opposition likely will also more rarely include enemy spellcasters and magic-wielding monsters (beware, though, IF they come up).
    So you could then rather specialise as a monk more in combat (there are some non-UMD example builds in the guide update, in the last section). Additionally, there is also a build here in a grappling test going on for level 6 characters which shows to you what a monk CAN do when focused on melee combat - just deduct some of the items; it will not matter that much.
    With the help of high INT and as a human, you could also be some sort of skillmonkey and scout for the group. Or, focus on CHR and play a Geisha/courtesan (diplomacy and perform are monk class skills) who could be the party face - it all depends on what kind of pcs the other players want to play.

Now, on the issue of the duel vs Emperor Tippy:

1) OK, phantom steed is in. (in both duels if you like). It's funny that you feel I nerf the wizard like crazy with what I ask for in these duels, although most of the duel conditions have been set by you.
    One example for how much the wizard is favoured in this duel setting is contingency:
    Spoiler
    Show

Contingency is an extremely powerful spell, but it is also highly tricky to cast, and there are basically two large complications that make it again balanced in regular gameplay/normal adventures.
    A typical issue is casting it with dimension door.
    Now, the problem is: how should the condition be set? If, as Emperor Tippy suggests, in regular gameplay he'd set it to "go off when I lose initiative", it can get triggered by a rat trying to attack him or just any kind of combat-like situations. Setting it to "go off when I say xy" is a good way to keep control and get some kind of free action dimension door. However, you'll not be able to cast it when you are suprised and lose initiative (since you cannot act before, not even with a free action like speaking).
    The second complication, in the case of dimension door, is that you do not know what the setting will be when the contingency occurs. In the case of this duel, it is fairly certain (the wizard knows the exact starting point of combat and surrounding -empty- area and where he'll be in case of contingency), but in normal gameplay, you'd need to say "when x happens, dim door 100feet to the south and/or up". And this could mean you end up where you do not wish to be.
    Think about that for a while when you call "wizard wins!" for normal adventuring.

2) I'd like then to clarify the restriction that in the buff round, only the buffing square can be affected - I overlooked that some effects like AMF when cast in the buff round would affect an (albeit small) radius. It can definitely also be considered a "buff", since it protects, in this case from magic. The effect should also be centered on the caster. But as I said, the phantom steed is also OK (meaning also btw, for both duels, that summons could be cast).

3) I do not wish to appear to nitpicky, but the mage's disjunction spell imo does not automatically dispel all buffs and magic in the area. The spell description says (bold in text mine, but the italics are like this in SRD and PHB):
    SRD: All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item.
    So it refers to the dispel magic, which imo caps the caster level to 10. Does not sound like an auto-dispel of Emperor Tippy using it to me. But I may be mistaken and FAQs may have clarified it.

4) As far as I discern, now there are two referees
    for the two duels (or, at least, they have been asked to do the job)
    vs Emperor Tippy (16th level batman): Talic
    vs Mojotech (10th level batman): Solo
    Is that correct?
    Could the referees then pls set up respective duel threads, where the rules and settings are again summarised (plus, put for final discussion). I'll then PM them the respective Joker monks.
    This would free this thread for other joker monk aspects discussion.

Thanks!

- Giacomo

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Because it is disadvantageous to him
    Solo, do you see any inconsistency in some monk doubters around here going through the roof because I have a monk who uses charged wands for, say, an effect costing 420gp per use (the infamours "divine power" wand) - and now you applaud Emperor Tippy for burning close to 4,000 cash for one spell attack?

- Giacomo

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pax_Chi View Post
    I'm a little late for the party, but my thoughts on making a monk playable come down to this: When I think about playing a monk, I think Shaolin-esque martial arts monks from Chinese cinema, comics and fiction with lots of nifty powers and esoteric abilities. As such, the Monk class in and of itself generally feels incomplete to me, but just needs a little something to make it more playable. And that's the Psionics Handbook.

*waits for the groans and cringes to die down*
    No problem Pax_Chi- that's a good idea, and it goes the same route that I have taken with the joker monk (i.e., add some more supernatural stuff to what he already can do).
    You can do that with
    - items (like the joker monk)
    - multiclassing (some posters above have suggested that, the guide has been updated to show some concepts already)
    Part of the second, "gish"-like approach to multiclass is to use the psionics's handbook, or the stuff as included in the SRD.

I'll try to finally get some links throughout this thread into the guide above; I'd love to link your post as well.

- Giacomo

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Setting it to "go off when I say xy" is a good way to keep control and get some kind of free action dimension door. However, you'll not be able to cast it when you are suprised and lose initiative (since you cannot act before, not even with a free action like speaking).
    Speaking is a Free Action that you can explicitly take when it's not your turn.