Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Genius II

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Girl Genius II

Original Thread

Since the first thread went over 50 pages, I figured I'd make a new one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius II

For people new to Girl Genius:

Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip.
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius. (because one can never have enough TV Trope love)
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (A compliation [and much easier to read if you're just catching up] of the entries can be found here at the GG website)
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Both updated infrequently)
    Links to Webcomic Ranking websites. (Used to have Vote Incentives [sketches, parodies of strips, etc] that were changed daily. Might once again.)
    The Secret Blueprints for Vol 1. Contains background infomation on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers. (NOTE: should the Secret Blueprints be removed from that page they can be found [sans pretty pictures] here.)
    Last edited by Porthos; 2008-09-26 at 02:00 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Loosing your hat in pursuit of something as over-the-top as that is bound to make you earn a new hat by your impressed peers

(Oh, and *ding*, I am now subscribed to the new thread)
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai_II View Post
    Loosing your hat in pursuit of something as over-the-top as that is bound to make you earn a new hat by your impressed peers

(Oh, and *ding*, I am now subscribed to the new thread)
    It could also be we are looking at "losing your hat" too literally. Perhaps it is more of a ceremonal thing. To "Lose your hat" could be like recieving a demotion. So, physically losing your hat in battle is not a problem, but to have some one remove their hat is serious.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Gah! Thread warping is really disorienting!

I hope the Vanamonde and Krosp get their act together by Monday. It probably will be A Handy and Enlightening Recap which is too bad, since I feel like the storyline has kind of been dragging lately. Maybe it won't take all week, though I won't bet on it.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    It probably will be A Handy and Enlightening Recap which is too bad, since I feel like the storyline has kind of been dragging lately.
    I think we're overdue for a "Meanwhile, back in the Castle", personally. We've had our lot of shocking revelations ("Jägers! In Mechanicsburg!" and "OMG Klaus has Jägertech!"), Gil's attire is no longer interesting, and there ain't much they can say now that would be relevant to our point of view. ("Congratulations, Mario, but Agatha is in the castle." "I know, Luigi, Vole told me, and I kicked his arse afterward.")
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Who knows, we may even be treated to something far more unusual or explanatory such as "meanwhile, in england with Master Payne's circus of adventure".

But I doubt it.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post
    Who knows, we may even be treated to something far more unusual or explanatory such as "meanwhile, in england with Master Payne's circus of adventure".

But I doubt it.
    No, Master Payne is very much On a Bus for the time being. Besides, a third concurrent plot line might make me go crazy!

If we're lucky, it'll be "Back at the Castle" since we don't really need an As You Know speech, and Gil being brought up to speed is necessary for the story.

However, I can sense some great Gil Reaction Shots coming up, and I don't think Phil is going to pass those up.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Put some thematic effort in boy!
    Last edited by Evil DM Mark3; 2008-05-18 at 06:04 PM.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, a Handy and Enlightening Recap.

At least it looks like Zeetha's done for now... and we got a nice view of the bar, so I suppose this page gets an up-check.

I'm hoping Zeetha doesn't explain why she's Gil's "new best friend" on Wednesday. That should be fairly apparent after her explanation a couple of weeks ago. I'd hate to have to throw a flag for "delay of plot"

EDIT: Hoy! We finally have a good hint for the current date! Look in the lower right corner...

So it's likely we're at least in the 19th Century! Though I suppose we knew that because of the Brillat-Savarin reference, but now we know it is at least 1806 and probably no later than 1826. Exciting!
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-05-18 at 11:03 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

...man, that Jager just behind Zeetha in the central spread is freaky.

And I'd hazard a guess that these injured Jagers are there with the knowledge and (grudging) consent of Klaus...
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Lurker View Post
    ...man, that Jager just behind Zeetha in the central spread is freaky.
    I know! No hat!

Also, anybody else like the lyrics the girls are singing?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

EDIT: Hoy! We finally have a good hint for the current date! Look in the lower right corner...

So it's likely we're at least in the 19th Century! Though I suppose we knew that because of the Brillat-Savarin reference, but now we know it is at least 1806 and probably no later than 1826. Exciting!
    Nice catch! I didn't even notice that the first time!

@^: Yep! "But I still have my hat!"
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2008-05-18 at 11:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    I know! No hat!

Also, anybody else like the lyrics the girls are singing?
    Curse you, I was about to cleverly mention that little detail! Why must you steal my glory???

As for the date, I think that inscription in the corner only really proves that it's sometime after 1788, as Jagers are pretty much immortal and Mamma could have been running this establishment for centuries. The atmosphere in the club is certainly 1800s though.
    "He was killed three years ago by some bad clams."
    "Bad clams?"
    "Yes - They had axes."
    --Girl Genius

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlis View Post
    Curse you, I was about to cleverly mention that little detail! Why must you steal my glory???
    I'm Ganurath. That should sum it up.

Osari: I can imagine the preceeding lyrics now: "Everybody's dead, the dirigible's in flames..."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corlis View Post
    As for the date, I think that inscription in the corner only really proves that it's sometime after 1788, as Jagers are pretty much immortal and Mamma could have been running this establishment for centuries. The atmosphere in the club is certainly 1800s though.
    Ah ha! You fell for my trap where I must explain my logic!

You see, the Heterodyne Boys vanished 18 years ago and since it is widely known that no Jaeger are to enter Mechanicsburg until a Heterodyne returns, it seems unlikely that the wounded Jaegers are still stocking spoils of war in Mama Gkika's while on Klaus's payroll. Ergo, 1806 at the earliest.

(I'm still not sure why the Jaegers got into Mama Gkika's in violation of their oath. I think Mama Gkika's must be within Mechanicsburg city limits since the area around it is pretty barren and tourists frequent this establishment.)

Now, why is it probably no later than 1826? Well, in real life, Brillat-Savarian died in 1826 and The Circus Chef (yes, his real name) speaks of Brillat-Savarin as a living person. One does not often say "take that, Adam Smith" when pointing out a flaw in the rational consumer model (well, maybe you do). Anyhow Brillat-Savarin will need to still be current for a sparky circus chef out in eastern Europe to be referring to him.

I don't put 1826 as the hard-and-fast upper limit though. Sparky technology (and the likely favor of the Master of Paris) could very well have prolonged his life tremendously - or he may have just died. No later than the 1850's I would say... though the birthdate of Klaus Barry Heterodyne makes me uncertain. Now, reading it as 1872 is possibly the most plausible reading, meaning we are now in the year 1891, give or take.

EDIT: I just want to point out that I did not originally link the Brillat-Savarin comment. I'm afraid I've forgotten who pointed it out, but I awarded him one Clockwork Internet as a result.
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2008-05-18 at 11:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

There seems to be quite more then a few Jagrs in there...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't agree. K.B. Heterodyne was born in xx72, the Castle was attacked a year later, some time passed before Agatha was born, and now she's 19-ish. How much time could "some time" be? Hard to say, but not all that long. Klaus disappeared two years before K.B. was born and didn't return until after Agatha was born, Bill and Barry publicly disappeared, and Barry returned, but he was only missing for "a few years". Something would have to be stretched to make it later than the early '90's in whatever century you wish (19'th works for me, but there are some epileptic tree huggers who really really want it to be the twentieth century for some reason).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    I can't agree. K.B. Heterodyne was born in xx72, the Castle was attacked a year later, some time passed before Agatha was born, and now she's 19-ish. How much time could "some time" be? Hard to say, but not all that long. Klaus disappeared two years before K.B. was born and didn't return until after Agatha was born, Bill and Barry publicly disappeared, and Barry returned, but he was only missing for "a few years". Something would have to be stretched to make it later than the early '90's in whatever century you wish (19'th works for me, but there are some epileptic tree huggers who really really want it to be the twentieth century for some reason).
    According to Vrin's story, Lucrezia was preggers (presumably with Agatha since she can Heterodyne) when the castle was attacked. Nobody in Mechanicsburg knew, though, so I imagine Agatha was born 6-8 months after the attack.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I can't agree.
    Like I said, when read with K.B.'s birthdate, it looks like the 1890's are the most likely. It works OK and like Ganurath said, Agatha was born not long after the Castle was attacked (no more than a year, unless Bill decided to sleep with The Other after she had killed his son).

I would've liked it to be on the early side of the 19th century, but to be honest the 1890's are as fine a time as any to be Sparky. I'll stick with the early 1890's though, if you don't mind

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    There seems to be quite more then a few Jagrs in there...
    Well, they are an extremely accident prone species, so I'm actually surprised there aren't even more...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

My guess was that the story is taking place sometime between 1892 and 1900, though it *could* be 1792-1800, or even (unlikely) 1992-2000.

The first clue is the birth of Klaus Barry Heterodyne is in "1x72". Assuming that Agatha wasn't born for at least the "just over a year" Klaus Barry lived, that would mean she is born no sooner than 1x73. Since she is apparently 19 or so for most of the story, that establishes 1x92 as the earliest possible date.

Now this "1788" proves that the date is no sooner than 1788. Since Agatha probably is only a few years younger than KB, since it isn't extremely long since the castle fell, Klaus took over, etc. I'd say Agatha was likely born before the 1x80, so her birthdate can only be between 1773-1780, 1873-1880, or 1973-1980.

I suppose the rest of my evidence is entirely circumstantial, if not outright *dicey*.
    First, the use of clanks, "spider riders" and such is somewhat evocative of the work of H.G. Wells and other very early science fiction writers from ~1890-1940. That's bordering on Dieselpunk, but if I'm not mistaken the Heterodynes were "originally" from that era.

Second, the style of the "Storm King" seems like a German version of the "Sun King", Louis XIV for France, who ruled from the mid-17th to early 18th century. Having this "200 years earlier"... would indicate mid-late 19th century.

Third, there's the mentioned British Queen, Alba. I kind of took her as an equivalent to Queen Victoria, who ruled from 1837 to 1902ish. Of course, she could just be an immortal equivalent to Queen Elizabeth I, the "Faerie Queene".

Finally, the late 19th century was the height of the industrial revolution. I kind of feel like Girl Genius has its 'sparks' emulating the period styles (I could be just pulling that out of nowhere, though). Thus, Spark tech in the 1600s/1700s is more Baroque (see the original presentation of the Muses of the Storm King), while the Industrial Revolution period takes steam engines to a whole new level; I can see Agatha's grandkids building futuristic jet packs and flying saucers...

Thus, its entirely shakey, but I think the current date is roughly 1895 or so.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Certainly when Lucrezia came back to Vrin she was pregnant with Agatha. She may or may not have returned on the night that the Other destroyed Castle Heterodyne; for all we know Lucrezia may have escaped to her father's care and seduced Bill later when he was on the road.

I'm not sure whether Mechanicsburg knows if Lucrezia was pregnant when the Castle fell. In one sense, Carson and the Castle are very skeptical of Agatha's claim, but on the other hand the townspeople were very open to Zola's claim. So it's a bit open just how outlandish a female heir's claim would be when the only known Heterodyne of this generation was a boy.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

In a bar full of Jagermonsters, a nice hat could be the difference between life and death.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

Well, the dead heterodyne tombstone has a curved top for the second digit, so the options are 1272, 1372, 1672 (with some strange stylistic measures), 1872, 1972 and 1072. If we take the world and compare it thematically with our own, I would just say 1872 is the most likely and then do the math from there.

26. - Top - End - #26

(I'm still not sure why the Jaegers got into Mama Gkika's in violation of their oath. I think Mama Gkika's must be within Mechanicsburg city limits since the area around it is pretty barren and tourists frequent this establishment.)
    I don't think we know the exact wording of the oath to Klaus. It makes sense to me that sidelined Jagers, no longer capable of serious sustained combat, would be allowed to return -- their potential threat level is a lot lower than a bar full of fully operational supersoldiers.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I love the trophies in this bar!

A, what is it, gas wizard mask, possibly the base for the scent zombie stories?

And the heads mounted on the walls, is that a cuthul themed monster I spy?
    GNU Terry Pratchett

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

You know, the fifty-page limit only actually applies in certain forums, mostly PbP games (and I think d20 & General RPG). You think the Dominic Deegan thread would continue to exist in its current state if it was otherwise?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

29. - Top - End - #29

PaladinGuy

Re: Albia. I am pretty sure that she is the universe equivalent to Queen Elizabeth, not Queen Victoria. "Her Undying Majesty" indicates that she's been around for a LONG time, so even if we take the latest reasonable time the comic could be set (late 1800s) then Queen Victoria (who ascended to the throne in 1837) would be well within a normal lifetime. Besides, my mental picture of a silver-and-brass clank in the style of the Elizabeth's grandest finery kept alive through mad science and Her Majesty's indomitable will is just too damn cool.

Re: the date. My original thoughts were that the story took place in the late 1700s, but the presence of trains in Othar's Twitter and the other date clues have persuaded me that it's set in the late 1880s or 1890s. Except, if that was the case, why-oh-why is America such a curiousity? Historically, the United States was a major power in the world by 1890, as was Russia. Neither nations have even been mentioned in the geopolitical discussions.

Re: Mama Gkika's hospital/bar. Obviously, either they are NOT in Mechanicsburg (which, as Oracle Hunter points out, is unlikely), or there is a loophole in the Jaeger's oath which lets them go there to recuperate.

Re: the Jaegerwhores. I'm sorry, but I am now 100% that the girls are, in fact, jaegers, not just humans with costumes and prosthetics. Why? Because they definitely go to bed with the jaegers when their show is done (see Miz Pink's comments to Ogg about a "private show sometime") and a jaeger's idea of romance is, bluntly, not something a human could survive.

Oh, and as for their song? I can't help but think of "Bring on the Men" from the Jekyll and Hyde musical. I mean, the musical is about mad science, and the tone is the perfect blend of raucous self-confidence and sexiness that the jaegers obviously associate with "dere gorls."
    Honor guard at the funeral in the Miko Fan Club.

Those who are too stupid to run, I salute you.

Human Male, age 31

"Have you come to lecture me on my evil ways?"

"Actually, I brought you some supper. But if you'd prefer a lecture, I've a few very catchy ones prepped; sin and hellfire... one has lepers."

- Inara and Book, Firefly

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    According to Vrin's story, Lucrezia was preggers (presumably with Agatha since she can Heterodyne) when the castle was attacked.
    Certainly when Lucrezia came back to Vrin she was pregnant with Agatha.
    Do you, guys, refer to this strip?
    I may very well be wrong, but I do not take for granted that the pregnant lady pictured there is Lucrezia. In fact, it looks to me as if that is not Lucrezia at all.