New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Hexblade help...please?

Hi guys.

My group is just about to start a new campagin and it's 5th lvl and tiefling, asamir and genesai loose the +1 l.a i'm thinking of playing a earth genesai hexblade4/red dragon disciple1 and looking for advice on feat selection. only 1flaw is allowed. EDIT: CORE COMPLETE AND COMPENDIUM ONLY MY STAT ROLLS ARE 16 16 16 17 14 11
    Last edited by enteri09; 2008-05-20 at 07:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Hexblade help...please?

NEED MOAR INFO AND BOOKS!

Seriously? Ability Focus(Hex) from the Monstrous Manual, Power Attack, a good 2hander, and the Dark Companion alt class feature from PHBII. Also, if you really want to be cool, hold off on the DD until you get 2nd level Hexblade casting. Then sink all your bonus spells/day into your 2nd level slot and cast Whirling Blade a lot, making full use of your high +str gains from DD. A lot of people will tell you that DD is a bad class, but it can be made managable.

Try this. Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt. Tip a couple back with your DM, and see if you can convince him that DD is underpowered and should be given full BAB. That alone would make the class a bit more tolerable. Maybe see if your DM would also give your breath weapon a normal recharge rate (every 1d4 rounds) instead of 1/day. Then take Entangling Exhalation. This'll give you some nice crowd control as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt
    I second this. In any context.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt
    wow... is there any problem that won't solve or cause?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Fighter/Paladin will just hack you to bits

A Wizard/Sorcerer will just blow you up with a spell

A Rogue/Ranger/Monk will just kill you in your sleep

A Cleric/Druid will just squash you after buffing himself

A Bard will slowly twist your ethics, corrupt your morals, and make you do vile acts just for the chance to face him. When you fight him, he will have your family and friends fighting for him. For he wields the deadliest weapon against you and that is, his word against yours.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by quiet1mi View Post
    wow... is there any problem that won't solve or cause?
    Insomnia. The effects of tequila on insomnia are quite variable and unpredictable... trust me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Depending on how evil your party is, picking up two (or three) levels of an evil paladin class (tyranny, slaughter) from the SRD, or two levels of blackguard (feat intensive) doubles your cha to saves.

This means you can drink a 5th of tequila and hug casters all day and not feel a thing.

7. - Top - End - #7

I no longer have the link, but the creator of the Hexblade class later wrote that it was too weak, and suggested a few fixes to balance it. Getting your DM to approve any or all of them would help you a lot.

Also, Improved Familiar. Take it when you're able, and get a nice big Winter Wolf.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    Depending on how evil your party is, picking up two (or three) levels of an evil paladin class (tyranny, slaughter) from the SRD, or two levels of blackguard (feat intensive) doubles your cha to saves.
    Use flaws.

Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade/Blackguard

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicled View Post
    Also, Improved Familiar. Take it when you're able, and get a nice big Winter Wolf.
    I still prefer Planar Familiar for Howler.
    Though you would need to be CN, I think, to get that one.

EDIT: Just noticed - No Planar Handbook, so this one is impossible.
    Last edited by marjan; 2008-05-20 at 11:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Actually, improved familiar can be very good as a Hexblade, since it's going to have a good deal of HP, and a full BAB.

I'd go for an imp over a winterwolf, though. An imp gets invis as a use at will SLA, and being able to see in any darkness perfectly well while using your spot/search checks is QUITE useful.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

The Dark Companion alternate class feature from PHBII is pretty popular, I hear.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    The Dark Companion alternate class feature from PHBII is pretty popular, I hear.
    Combined with a paladin of tyranny's aura and a swift cast hex, and even your piddling hexblade spells have a chance of working.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lussmanj View Post
    Try this. Go out and buy a 5th of Tequilia, a 1/2 gallon of Margarita mix, and some salt. Tip a couple back with your DM
    Hmm...I can't do this...I am currently a DM...I'll just have to tip back twice the amount and try to convince myself of stuff!

But, if I may offer my own suggestion: a splash of voddie never hurts.

If you're taking Dragon Diciple, and, what's more, one level (so far)...you're not getting that much out of it until third leve-wait a second, you can't be a hexblade 4/Dragon Disciple 1, it's impossibly without DM fiat: prereqs: spellcraft 8 ranks. As a forth level hexblade, the most you can have is seven ranks. I assume that this was another DM change? Yeah, you get your natural attacks next level, along with a strength bonus, but the real thing you want is at third level. But, as said, I'd reccomend waiting until you can cast second level spells before taking this Prestige Class, so you're not throwing extra spells into first level slots.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

SoD: Thanx man i'm sooincredably stupid ammendments have been made to the original post.

Everybody else: I have th dc substitution. thanx for the tip
    I once saw a man hanging from a cliff,' he said slowly. 'The brink was crumbling beneath his fingers, and the only thing near enough to grasp was a tuft of grass, a few long blades with roots barely clinging to the rock. The only chance he had of climbing back up on the cliff. So he grabbed it.' His abrupt chuckle held no mirith. 'He had to know it would pull free.'
    o Asmodean to Rand

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lussmanj View Post
    Maybe see if your DM would also give your breath weapon a normal recharge rate (every 1d4 rounds) instead of 1/day. Then take Entangling Exhalation. This'll give you some nice crowd control as well.
    There's actually a feat in Races of the Dragon -- "Dragon Breath" that alters your breath weapon exactly so. Not that it would be overpowered to get it for free ... and you don't qualify for the feat until you've taken your final level of DD ...
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enteri09 View Post
    SoD: Thanx man i'm sooincredably stupid ammendments have been made to the original post.
    Nah, don't put yourself down, we all have our bad days (except me). After all, we're only human (except me).
    Last edited by SoD; 2008-05-21 at 02:27 AM.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*