New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Sinister Spire playtest

Despite having only just met each other in the foyer of Illiterate Scribe's 'descent into yon foetid underdark, and gain frequent spelunker furlongs', the four of you instantly strike up a rapport - well, rapport may be the wrong word ...

The monk, carrying a small cemetery's worth of wands, eyes up the grizzled, whip-wielding adventurer type, while the grinning mask of the sorcerer impassively surveys the kobold cleric. Silence ensues.

Four adventurers, four adventurers, why is it always four adventurers?

The warforged behind the counter mutters to himself, an obsessive, mildly insane look on his face.

Anyway, youse'll be the four subcontracted to find and murder tha' pyureblood, Xeron. I suppose you can justify such acts to yisselves. Anyhow, key - hook - wall - door.

He gestures, indicating a surprisingly delicate key, folded out of origami, and the large bulkhead-like door in the wall behind the counter.

Payment on return. Queshtuns?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Sinister Spire playtest

I suppose we just jump into the rabbit hole? Veidt asks, gesturing at the door.
    I suggest we depart immediately. There is so much killing to do, and so little time in which to do it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The warforged buries his head in his hands (literally - he has a burrowing capability granted to him by a warforged component) at Veidt's bloodlust.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Let's face it; you didn't exactly hire me based on my ability to get along with all our little woodland friends.

Veidt takes the key and opens the door, taking a good look inside.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-25 at 08:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, some questions first, Sir Warforged:

1. How many of Xeron's band are still alive - and what people did his party consist of? (fighters, priests...? Were they also yuan-ti, whatever that is?)

2. How long since they passed through that door? (I assume that this is now the hole of the tomb where the thieves have vanished through and taken the bones with them?)

3. Can you describe how the bones look like? How can they be identified?

Then, turning to the others:
    "My name is Shannow. I'll try to protect you as best as I can. My combat style is usually to grapple the worst-looking foe while you deal with the rest. But mostly. let us try to avoid combat as often as possible - I'll try do warn us of any impending dangers ahead.
    Note that with my many wands here, I can create a row of magical effects (lists what his wands can do and how often stilll); though not reliably inside combat.
    What is it that you do?"

Shannow then waits how the others describe themselves. Then, supposing they will tell at least their classes, he'll suggest the following:

"Let us go about the following way:
    You, Veidt, in case you know the spell, please cast a mage armour on me with one use of my rod of extend. You'll not be able to make use of my pearl of power to regain that spell, so I hope you'll still do it to make me better able to stop any enemy fighters.
    Instead, I'll provide my two pearls of power to Grak here - he'll be able to cast an extra protective spell on you, Veidt to make up for the spell you cast on me.
    Then, Veidt, another thing. Take one of my enlarge wands - you can cast the enlarge on me in case of combat without any risk of failure, as long as you are within 30ft of me. I still have two others - so I could try to use those in case it somehow does not work.
    Additionally, take this everburning torch so that we all can see.
    I'd suggest the following setup for advancing: You appear to be able to disguise and bluff your way quite well (just pose as a Yuan-Ti yourself?), while the small Mr. Grak can easily hide behind you (with you moving, his low move silently does not matter). Meanwhile, both Dr. Jones and myself will scout at the fringes of the light (keeping hidden) to check what is going on and be able to foil unpleasant surprises. If you, Mr. Veidt, would also have a Message spell available in certain circumstances, we could use another of my rod extend uses for the day to get a couple of hours real good stealth/communication between us.
    Dr. Jones, be ready to sneak any bastard falling victim to my grapple (against several foes at once, I'll try to give you good flanking opportunity).

Mr. Grak, I hope your deity will be able to provide us with enough food and water for the journey when we need it.

Now let's get those bones back to where they belong."

- Giacomo

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

I'm sorry, I did not learn how to cast any of the spells you requested. I am unable to help you there.

Bluff: (1d20+16)[24]

Veidt will cast Mage Armor on Shannow after they enter.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-25 at 10:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

OK, Mr. Veidt, can't be helped. But you'll still take the everburning torch and wand, I presume?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Actually, wouldn't you say that the wand belongs with the people in front? The kobold and I will be in the rear, making us suboptimal light bearers. Veidt points out, casting Mage Armor on himself and Shannow using the metamagic rod.

9. - Top - End - #9

Turning towards the arcanist and the wandslinger, Doctor Jones cracks a small smile. I don't s'pose you'll mind if I get a small head start, would you?

I'll go in front searching for traps. If I find something, I'll give you two call.

And with that, Jones walks into the passageway, eyes peeled and weapons ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 in search, so I get a 31 to find any traps or items of interest.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

spellcraft first mage armour - (1d20+12)[31]
    spellcraft second marge armour - (1d20+12)[16]

What the...so you DO know mage armour? *shrugs*
    Well, Mr. Veidt, the problem is with either Dr. Jones or myself without a light source, we cannot scout much, can we? However, bearing the light source ourselves, we can hardly hide...in case we need to venture further out, we have another light source availale
    (points to second everburning torch).

ooc: which rod of extend did you use? Mine or yours?
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2008-05-25 at 11:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    What the...so you DO know mage armour?
    No, no I don't. You're mis-identifying the spell.

Bluff: (1d20+16)[33]

However, bearing the light source ourselves, we can hardly hide...in case we need to venture further out, we have another light source availale
    An excellent point., Veidt agrees, taking a torch.Don't expect me to get too far to the front, though.

ooc: which rod of extend did you use? Mine or yours?
    ooc: yours, just like you told me to. On you.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-25 at 12:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The warforged stares at Shannow. With his perception of reality through the medium of true speech, the monk's discursive style literally appears as a wall of text, floating slowly across the room.

Err ... well, the party came through here a day ago. There were about twenty of them, although several groups of mercenaries such as yourselves have been harrying them. Unfortunately, they neglected to leave a receipt of the numbers killed, so there could be any number there. What is known is that there's been some hold up on those dastardly villains' end - the bones, for the moment at least, are stationary. Oh, you'll know them when you see them ... the crypt-keeper was a little ... odd in his decorational proclivities.

Behind the bulkhead, there is nothing but blackness - this is a fairly feeble blackness, and, as your torches are carried into it, it recedes. What lurked behind it is not exactly reassuring. City maintenance must not have visited this particular tunnel in years - possibly on account of the fact that Kingsholm doesn't even have city maintenance. The walls are held up by little more than stacks of wood pulp, as the smell of decay confirms. The tunnel branches off in two directions - sloping up, and sloping down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Screw you WotC, I refuse to read what you tell me to read to the PCs, and substitute my own descriptions!

Also, feel free to use skills on stuff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Veidt stands between the up and down passages, trying to detect whether the wind flow in the tunnels go up or downwards.

Also, Hat of Disguise as a commoner, Josef Dirt, dirt farmer extraordinare.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-25 at 12:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

No wind seems to be coming from either - the only disturbance in the air is from the door behind you.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

(I am now disguised as a dirt farmer: see above post)

Well, I suggest we start looking for tracks. Are there any in either tunnel, Doctor Jones? What say you, Shannow?

16. - Top - End - #16

Spoiler
    Show
    Am I allowed to try my luck?

Everyone, back off. I'm going to try something new here.

Rapidly, Jones hits the wood with the whip, trying to break it.

If this works, that racehorse or whatever it was can count itself as dead.

Spoiler
    Show
    No need to roll for damage if I keep hitting until something breaks, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    If that breaks the adventure to pieces, here goes a more classier course of action.

No, no tracks. Not a surprise, since a scalykind wouldn't leave tracks in anything but mud. I suggest we go down, because the evil temples and the like are always below the ground.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

But that raises the question of what is above ground.

And remember, there's a band of robbers we're looking for in addition to the yuan ti.

Veidt casually puts a burned out, useless Ioun stone in orbit [roll]1d3[/roll] feet from his head.
    Last edited by Solo; 2008-05-25 at 12:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

The rotten wood is smashed away by Jones' mighty whip blows. Nothing happens. You are in a corridor carved of the stone; quite why anyone put supporting pillars up is anybody's guess; maybe they liked the aesthetic.

Spoiler
    Show
    I <3 you, WotC. You have supporting pillars in a corridor hewn out of a single piece of rock.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

You could at least search for tracks, Dr. Jones. We might as well be thorough, and there's no harm.

20. - Top - End - #20

And remember, there's a band of robbers we're looking for in addition to the yuan ti.
    How much do you want to bet on them being dead to the first trap we see?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    How much do you want to bet on them being dead to the first trap we see?
    I'll wager 5 GP.

Dead or no, they must have left tracks, tracks which we will find, tracks which will aid us in finding the yuan ti, no?

(OOC: unless there is something we don't know, roll the search check already )

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    (OOC: unless there is something we don't know, roll the search check already )
    ((Taken 20 already, for a result of 31.))

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough which route is the correct one. Let us venture downwards into the darkness. You first, Doctor Jones, and I will be behind you. Shannow, you may place yourself as you see fit. Last shall be the cleric.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

So shall it be! Let's stay at the fringe of the light, Dr. Jones to do our stealth stuff...ah, and I feel a bit better equipped now that it appears that this adventure could take some time...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The search check reveals a lot of splintered wood, and the scuffmarks of a leather boot leading (you guessed it) downwards.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

ooc: will be unable to post until Tuesday evening, so more from my side then. Default tactic is to spot/listen and move silently/hide at normal speed, albeit -5 penalty. In case something unusual is spotted/listened from farther away with a light source in the distance, Mr. Shannow will try to cautiously hide/movesilently there for scouting - best together with Dr. Jones. Or taking turns, guarding the casters.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Ambushes can be dealt with - both from Dr. Jones' and Mr. Shannow's side I guess - by combat reflexes with spiked chain/whip dagger, even possibly covering the spellcasters.
    Mr. Shannow likely will try to disarm discernible weapons, in particular, if held with only one hand...he has an opposed disarm mod of +11 with the spiked chain and can try several times if more AoO present themselves (with no risk of being disarmed himself).
    A quite likely occurance is that there is an encounter that Mr. Veidt can possibly solve through talking (with the opponent unaware of the hiding Dr. Jones and Mr. Shannow). That would be best. as would be avoiding encounters altogether.
    Remember our goal!

- Giacomo
    Last edited by Sir Giacomo; 2008-05-25 at 04:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OoC - don't worry Giacomo. We'll save the next fighting encounter for you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Grak:

In a raspy voice, seemingly unaccustomed to the language it's forced to use:
    If it's all the same to you, I'd rather go third, thanks. After all, something may come from behind, and, to be honest, I'm not much of a fighting type. I shall help where I can, keeping you folks alive, perhaps a little help here and there from other blessings of faith, but if there's one thing that's true, it's that I do not want to be hit.

OOC/Mechanics:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spellcraft checks for Mage Armor: (1d20+10)[12], (1d20+10)[23]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Very well, I shall go last. Veidt shrugs, drawing his daggers.

(Shall we assume that the Light Warriors part starts moving down?)

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Very well, I shall go last. Veidt shrugs, drawing his daggers.

(Shall we assume that the Light Warriors part starts moving down?)
    ((Of course. Onward, TO GLORY!))