A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 44
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    biggrin Chicken Infested Builds

    Dear Forum, partly inspired by this thread, I am trying to come up with a viable build centred around the Chicken Infested Commoner Flaw, mainly for laughs. I am already aware of the exalted flaming chicken thrower, but I am now trying to come up something else. My only idea so far has been...

    The War-Cluck: 1 Commoner / X Warlock. Combine Warlock Dead Walk, and a limitless supply of chickens for... a personal army of Zombie Chickens! You have to be at least 1 Commoner / 6 Warlock to start off. And you need some means of quick-drawing as many chickens as needed, and killing them all as a move or free action. Then you could animate their corpses with a standard action in the same round.

    E.g. Since you can animate 2x your warlock level in undead, at 1 Commoner / X Warlock, you need to quickdraw X * 2 HD worth of chickens or X * 4 live chickens since they are 1/4 HD, becoming 1/2 HD on Zombification (I assume they are 1/4 HD based on the rather similiar Raven). After quickdrawing them, you need to kill them in a move or free action, and then you can animate them all as a standard action in the same round. If anyone knows of any feat, abilities or combinations thereof that allows one to kill such large numbers of quickdrawn chickens as move or free action, let me know.

    Even if doing so as a move action is not possible, as long as you can generate a huge number of quickdrawn dead chickens, as a Full round action, you could make a stockpile of chicken corpses in the 1st round, and then animate a portion of it each subsequent round.

    The method of last resort is to build the chicken corpse pile before the fight starts, the normal slow way, and shove them all into a bag of holding. And then flip the bag inside out when you need them (as with any other Warlock, really except you can garuntee your corpse supply in between fights).

    Of course, even if I do manage to pull off animating (Warlock level * 4) zombie chickens per round, I'm not sure how viable the build will be. The zombie chicken attacks will only hit on a natural 20, so at level 7 (warlock 6) with 48 zombie chickens in your army, one might expect 2.4 hits per round, doing a measly 1 HP or so damage per hit. Not much damage, and any sort of DR will stop all damage. But presumably, being mobbed by 48 zombie chickens should be more than enough to stop whatever enemy you are facing dead in its tracks (and any killed can be quickly replenished), while the Wizard tries to nail them with a Split Ray Chained Enervation.

    And this scales to a total of 152 zombie chickens at level 20 (warlock 19) averaging 7.6 hits per round. One might try to enhance the damage using Corpse Crafter and Deathly Chill to add 1d6 cold damage per hit, giving 2.4-7.6d6 cold damage (average 8.4-26.6) per round which is rather poor damage. Fortunately you have your other Warlock abilities to back you up.

    One might also add Destructive Retribution for a 10' 1d6 negative energy burst on undead chicken death. The trouble of course is that the burst has a tendency to kill you should you get caught in it and the party fighter flanking enemy being meleed by chickens, unless you have tomb tainted soul. Trouble then becomes that your undead chicken horde is useless against the undead (since killing a chicken heals both your chicken army and the enemy undead they are meleeing). However, if you do take Destructive Retribution/Tomb Tainted Soul, you can suddenly heal yourself, on top of flooding your enemies with suicide bomber chickens.

    Thoughts? Suggestions? Ways of Killing NI quickdrawn chickens per round? Other possible Chicken Infested builds?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Commoner 1/Cleric19. DMM persist greater consumptive field.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Novi Sad (Serbia)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Ways of Killing NI quickdrawn chickens per round?
    Fell Flight. Though you would need to be at least lvl8 Warlock for this. Any form of flying will do. Just fly 10ft above ground and drop chickens. Some might survive (what's HP of chickens anyway), but you should be able to kill at least 1/6 of total amount of chickens drawn.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    Commoner 1/Cleric19. DMM persist greater consumptive field.
    Hmmm... If I recall correctly Consumptive field grants you temp HP, Str bonus and caster level bonus when cast. Is it applied immediately to anything entering it, or only at the end of your turn? If the former, you can consume chickens immediately upon drawing them, and can effectively consume NI chickens for NI bonus. If the latter, than you can only consume as many chickens who can fit in your field at the end of each round.

    Quote Originally Posted by marjan View Post
    Fell Flight. Though you would need to be at least lvl8 Warlock for this. Any form of flying will do. Just fly 10ft above ground and drop chickens. Some might survive (what's HP of chickens anyway), but you should be able to kill at least 1/6 of total amount of chickens drawn.
    Depending on who you ask, Chickens may or may not have flight speed. If they do have flight speed, then they can't be dropped to death.

    If they don't have flight speed, then you could actually pull something like this off at Warlock 6, provided you had a surface to spiderwalk on. But you would have to spend time moving from the ground up and back again should you run out of chicken corpses mid-fight.

    It would be more ideal if you could just kill the Chickens immediately when they are quick drawn. Maybe ranks in Profession: Poultry Neck Snapper? Gloves that deal damage to something in your hand as a free action?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    ...Ok, what the hell? I've seen wacky stuff in D&D before, but spontaneously generating chickens? Where is this from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.
    Avatar by Savannah

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    ...Ok, what the hell? I've seen wacky stuff in D&D before, but spontaneously generating chickens? Where is this from?
    This post explains the flaw and how it might be abused.

    So you can try and come up with builds based on this flaw that are less abusive (and more DM acceptable) than flooding the world with Chickens. Because the only thing funnier than killing your enemy, is doing so with massive numbers of spontaneously generated chickens.

    Notably, Arcane and "Mundane" Ranged Builds aren't nearly as compatible with this flaw since you may draw a chicken when you really wanted a spell component, or ammo for your mundane ranged attack. (Edit: Unless Chickens are your Ammo, as with the Exalted Flaming Chicken Thrower.)
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-05-27 at 08:45 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    monty's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fresno (yes, THAT Fresno)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    It's a special commoner flaw from one of the Dragon magazines (don't have time to check which one right now). There're a couple of others too.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous


  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zenos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bærum, Norway
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    When you need to escape a monster that TPK'ed your party, just make a five mile high pilar of chickens. Good bye monster, I'm now five miles higher than you!

    Or just fill the room with chickens so it suffocates.
    Avatar by Arokh.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo?

    It's really just a silly interpretation of the simplification of spell components pouches... but then, filling the world with chickens in the blink of an eye is pretty awesome in a way, so I forgive you
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.
    Avatar by Savannah

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    jcsw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quick Draw only allows you to draw weapons as a free action, IIRC, good thing the material component of Melf's Acid Arrow is a dart, so there are a NI amount of darts in a spell component pouch for you to use.

    And btw, chickens can still use their wings to slow their fall, although I'm not sure how far you can drop them before they can't survive.

    Yeah, and the greater consumptive field thing is sick, try fell animate DMM-ing it.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MorkaisChosen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Realm of Chaos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Commoner 1/ Cleric 2 (to get 3 Hit Dice and the next feat) with Profane Lifeleech. Generate an arbitrary number of chickens as a free action and Lifeleech them for HP.

    Drunken Master builds are impressive- TWF chickens for damage...

    Take Solo's Battle Bard, add something to make opponents flat-footed (Hold Person is good), and Iaijutsu Chicken them to death.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

    Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.



    I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned
     
    Solo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    *stab*

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo?
    Turn a Decanter of Endless Sand on flow, throw it in a Bag of Holding, and start drawing out handfuls of sand.

    Next!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    This sounds like a job for Nanobots. Say, Commoner 1/Swordsage X/ Exemplar. Create an arbitrary number of chickens with 13 ranks in Jump, have them all Aid Another at you, ascend into Valhalla in a blur of feathers and clucking, to never be seen in the mortal world again.

    Except that doesn't actually work, because you don't have control over the chickens. Hrm.

    EDIT: Infinite chickens + Exemplar + Handle Animal?
    Last edited by Fishy; 2008-05-27 at 10:27 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    Quick Draw only allows you to draw weapons as a free action, IIRC, good thing the material component of Melf's Acid Arrow is a dart, so there are a NI amount of darts in a spell component pouch for you to use.
    True. I suppose any Chicken Infested build would have to rely on spell component pouch free action draw then.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    Commoner 1/ Cleric 2 (to get 3 Hit Dice and the next feat) with Profane Lifeleech. Generate an arbitrary number of chickens as a free action and Lifeleech them for HP.
    Its not really an arbitrary number of chickens. You can only fit so many chickens within Profane Lifeleech's 30' burst. And each chicken only provides 1 HP (if you assume the Chicken is like a Raven). Although it is a good way for an evil cleric to heal early on, before he gets consumptive field.

    You could also tag on a 1 Cleric/1 Commoner splash on any primary Cha build (since Rebuke Undead gains more uses with higer Cha). Maybe even the War-Cluck described above.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    Take Solo's Battle Bard, add something to make opponents flat-footed (Hold Person is good), and Iaijutsu Chicken them to death.
    Where is this Iaijutsu from and what does it do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post

    EDIT: Infinite chickens + Exemplar + Handle Animal?
    I'm not sure how well that would work. It is impractical to transport thousands of trained chickens around since they can be killed quite quickly in a fight. You might use this to help the wizard craft stuff in the safety of your base, but not to boost the AB/AC of a fighter in mid combat.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MorkaisChosen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Realm of Chaos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Oriental Adventures, Iaijutsu Focus basically lets you deal+someD6 damage when you attack a flat-footed enemy immediately after drawing a weapon.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

    Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.



    I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Wabbajack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    On a bust of pallas.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Commoner1/ anything with base willsave 5 and 15 int and cha

    Just take the dark speech feat, a wand of restoration and craft an army of chicken hiveminds^^
    Avatar by Serpentine.

    "And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
    On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door"
    - Edgar Allan Poe, "The Raven"

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Library Lovers Contest Winner
     
    Duke of URL's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    I'm thinking Dread Necromancer with a Fell Animated Negative Energy Aura active. The zombie chickens don't rise until your next turn, but you can keep the supply going indefinitely round to round, limited only by how many chickens you can pack into the aura's radius, and how fast the zombie chickens can move out. Once you've started the cycle, you don't even need to take move or standard actions to continue it (though, controlling/changing commands for the zombies does require an action).

    Tack on Destructive Retribution, pack a wand of a low-level AOE spell, and start the kamikaze chicken runs.


    My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned
     
    Solo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    *stab*

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    Oriental Adventures, Iaijutsu Focus basically lets you deal+someD6 damage when you attack a flat-footed enemy immediately after drawing a weapon.
    You make a Iaijutsu check, modified by charisma.

    A result of 10-14 gives you 1d6 additional damage, 15-20 gets you 2d6, etc, etc, caps at 9d6.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Swooper View Post
    Wait a second. By the logic presented in the post you linked, the same thing could be done with a single spell components pouch, on the assumption that it never runs out. You don't create chickens, but you can do essentially the same with... oh, I don't know, bat poo?
    Brilliant! We now have an answer to what happens when you start to fill the world with chickens: A wizard, somewhere in the world, must have Celerity memorized. He sees a solid wall of chickens approaching from all corners of the earth, stretching from horizon to horizon, all the way up into the stars. With his genius-level 36 int, he realizes in an instant what has happened... and he responds by casting celerity and frantically trying to pull bat poop out of his spell component pouch quickly enough to block the encroaching tidal wave of chickens off.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-05-27 at 12:04 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Brilliant! We now have an answer to what happens when you start to fill the world with chickens: A wizard, somewhere in the world, must have Celerity memorized. He sees a solid wall of chickens approaching from all corners of the earth, stretching from horizon to horizon, all the way up into the stars. With his genius-level 36 int, he realizes in an instant what has happened... and he responds by casting celerity and frantically trying to pull bat poop out of his spell component pouch quickly enough to block the encroaching tidal wave of chickens off.
    Kind of like a 'grey goo stopped by bat poo' scenario....

    Technically, just with the fireball spell components, you could create a massive gunpowder based explosive device as a free action, since manipulating spell components is also a free action.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    I'm thinking Dread Necromancer with a Fell Animated Negative Energy Aura active. The zombie chickens don't rise until your next turn, but you can keep the supply going indefinitely round to round, limited only by how many chickens you can pack into the aura's radius, and how fast the zombie chickens can move out. Once you've started the cycle, you don't even need to take move or standard actions to continue it (though, controlling/changing commands for the zombies does require an action).

    Tack on Destructive Retribution, pack a wand of a low-level AOE spell, and start the kamikaze chicken runs.
    My main concern with taking Chicken Infested with any sort of component requiring Caster, is that when you actually want spell components, you may end up pulling Chickens from your pouch (warlocks don't require components and so this isn't a concern). Also:

    Even if you kill several creatures with a single Fell Animated spell, you can’t create more HD of undead than twice your Caster level. The standard rules for controlling Undead (PH p198) apply to Zombies created with this feat.
    Which strictly means no matter how many chickens you pull fron thin air and kill with the spell, you can only animate 2x caster level HD worth of undead with a single casting.

    Quote Originally Posted by MorkaisChosen View Post
    Oriental Adventures, Iaijutsu Focus basically lets you deal+someD6 damage when you attack a flat-footed enemy immediately after drawing a weapon.
    Right. Next question would be how are you going to catch your foe flat-footed. Hold Person would work, but if they are already held, they are pretty much dead anyway, and not everything can be held. Maybe Feint or Hide in Plain Sight?

    Also, you won't be hitting very much with the chickens since they can't be enchanted, at least not without Drunken Master and VoP (as per the exalted flaming chicken thrower), or Psionic Meditation/Deep Impact or Fell Shot (does Iaiajutsu apply to range?).

    Quote Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
    Commoner1/ anything with base willsave 5 and 15 int and cha

    Just take the dark speech feat, a wand of restoration and craft an army of chicken hiveminds^^
    Never heard of Dark Speech so I tried googling it.

    2. When used to create a hivemind among vermin, the speaker can affect up to 200 creatures under 1 HD. The speaker may also use the Dark Speech in additional ways. The DC for these powers is 5 + speaker's HD + speaker's Cha bonus. These abilities all deal 1d4 points of temporary Charisma damage to the speaker with each use.
    If I understand this correctly, you can create a single 200 chicken hivemind, but you burn 1d4 Cha for each command you give it. What are the stats of a Chicken Hivemind, and how well does it scale?

    Still no way of killing chickens as move/free action?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned
     
    Solo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    *stab*

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    If only there was some way for you to Eschew Material components.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    My main concern with taking Chicken Infested with any sort of component requiring Caster, is that when you actually want spell components, you may end up pulling Chickens from your pouch (warlocks don't require components and so this isn't a concern).
    So? It's a free action. If you get a chicken, just try again until you get the bat poop.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Hmmm... If I recall correctly Consumptive field grants you temp HP, Str bonus and caster level bonus when cast. Is it applied immediately to anything entering it, or only at the end of your turn? If the former, you can consume chickens immediately upon drawing them, and can effectively consume NI chickens for NI bonus. If the latter, than you can only consume as many chickens who can fit in your field at the end of each round.
    Anything with 9 or less HP within the radius (it lasts rounds/level) that fails it saves immediately dies. For each creature that dies, you gain +2 str, +1 CL, and +1d8 temp HP. CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Emperor Tippy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.
    Which is why, once your CL is maxed, you recast it.

    Original CL: 13
    1st casting: 19
    2nd casting: 28
    3rd casting: 42
    4th casting: 66
    5th casting: 99

    That should be enough for most purposes.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    If only there was some way for you to Eschew Material components.
    Ah yes. How could I forget that feat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly View Post
    Anything with 9 or less HP within the radius (it lasts rounds/level) that fails it saves immediately dies. For each creature that dies, you gain +2 str, +1 CL, and +1d8 temp HP. CL caps at 1/2 total your original caster level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Which is why, once your CL is maxed, you recast it.
    The question is whether "original caster level" refers to effective caster level (including consumptive field caster level bonus) when you (re)cast the spell, or your original unenhanced caster level. If the latter, then it won't stack up as quickly.

    Still, Consumptive Field may be the solution to the Warlock Chicken Corpse Supply problem.

    So you could make a Chicken Infested Eldritch Disciple, and when enemies shows up, cast Consumptive Field, and flood the field with Chickens (who die on entering the field). Cast Dead Walk on Chicken Corpses, and send out wave after wave of Zombie Chickens at your enemies. If and when your enemies do get close, they will be surprised when you smash them with your 300+ Str.

    Edit: Anyone know of anyway of immediately commanding the chickens when they appear? Then you could use them directly as attack chickens, and the Nano-bot idea might be feasible.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-05-28 at 02:54 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Emperor Tippy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Earth

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    The question is whether "original caster level" refers to effective caster level (including consumptive field caster level bonus) when you (re)cast the spell, or your original unenhanced caster level. If the latter, then it won't stack up as quickly.
    Any reference to caster level in any spell is referring to your CL at the time you cast the spell. No spell in the entire game makes a distinction between your unenhanced CL and your CL at the time of casting.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Well, lets see if I got this correct:

    Tentative Name: Unlimited Chicken Works

    01: Commoner 1- Flaw: Chicken Infested, Flaw Feat: Extend Spell, Char Feat: Persist Spell, Human Feat: Able Learner
    02: Warlock 1
    03: Cleric 1-Char Feat: Practiced Spellcaster: Cleric
    04: Cleric 2
    05: Cleric 3
    06: Eldritch Disciple 1-Char Feat: Practiced Spellcaster: Warlock
    07: Eldritch Disciple 2
    08: Eldritch Disciple 3
    09: Eldritch Disciple 4-Char Feat: Divine Metamagic (Persist Spell)
    10: Eldritch Disciple 5 (Warlock 6-Gain Dead Walk)

    On level 10, you effectively have Warlock 6 / Cleric 7, and cast as Warlock 10/Cleric 10. You can DMM Persist Consumptive Field (which I think is spell level 4 and available at Cleric 7), and spontaneously produce chickens as a free action. On entering the field, the chickens die, giving you +1d8 temp HP and +2 Str, lasting 10 rounds. As a level 10 warlock, you can animate 20 HD or 40 zombie chickens/80 Skeleton Chickens in one casting of Dead Walk, each round. And you can do this all day long.

    Thoughts? Suggestions? Domains for the Cleric? A better name?
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2008-05-28 at 09:48 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator
     
    Douglas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Two problems, one good, one bad:
    Consumptive Field only kills things that are below 0 hp. You have to drop each chicken to negatives by some other means, and you have to be careful to not drop them all the way to -10 when you do. Greater Consumptive Field gets rid of this problem but is significantly higher level.

    The bonuses from each death last as long as the field does - or all day, in this case. Kill 10000 chickens and you get 10000d8 temp hp and +20000 strength, all of which lasts for 24 hours or until someone dispels your Consumptive Field. Yes, this is broken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Which is why, once your CL is maxed, you recast it.

    Original CL: 13
    1st casting: 19
    2nd casting: 28
    3rd casting: 42
    4th casting: 66
    5th casting: 99

    That should be enough for most purposes.
    The bonus from multiple Consumptive Fields doesn't stack with itself. You'd get this, instead:

    Original CL: 13
    1st casting: 13+6 = 19
    2nd casting: 13+9 = 22
    3rd casting: 13+11 = 24
    4th casting: 13+12 = 25
    5th casting: 13+12 = 25

    Without adding certain other cheesy tricks to it, repeated castings of Consumptive Field cannot more than double your caster level.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2008-05-28 at 10:03 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

    Avatar by Ceika.

    Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MorkaisChosen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Realm of Chaos
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Chicken Infested Builds

    Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    Right. Next question would be how are you going to catch your foe flat-footed. Hold Person would work, but if they are already held, they are pretty much dead anyway, and not everything can be held. Maybe Feint or Hide in Plain Sight?
    1 level of Warblade- take Sapphire Nightmare Blade and max ranks in Concentration, so you can use SNB reliably (it requires you to beat the enemy's AC with a Concentration check). You can use SNB every other turn (and make a standard action attack in the turns you're not using it), allowing you to create Chickeny Death.

    The Fell Animate Exploding Chicken build is better, though...

    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    The bonus from multiple Consumptive Fields doesn't stack with itself. You'd get this, instead:

    Original CL: 13
    1st casting: 13+6 = 19
    2nd casting: 13+9 = 22
    3rd casting: 13+11 = 24
    4th casting: 13+12 = 25
    5th casting: 13+12 = 25

    Without adding certain other cheesy tricks to it, repeated castings of Consumptive Field cannot more than double your caster level.
    They aren't stacking, but your CL when you cast the second one is 19. This allows a maximum caster level of (more), so when you kill your next batch of 9999999999999999999999999 chickens, it goes up to (more).

    Recast GCF. Create more chickens; your caster level now caps at (lots more).

    Repeat ad nauseam.

    The bonus isn't stacking, it's overlapping, but the cap is increasing, and since each Chicken Spam Attack allows you to increase your CL arbitrarily high (limited only by the cap), it goes up to the new cap. Recast, get a higher cap, get that cap as CL, recast...
    Last edited by MorkaisChosen; 2008-05-28 at 11:36 AM.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

    Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.



    I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •