New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Awarding XP for killing DMNPCs

I tend to make my baddies by hand. How do I award experience? Is there like a formula or something? Mine are essentially PCs, but I control them.
    Last edited by Xyk; 2008-05-29 at 08:22 PM. Reason: name change
    I take this game with the seriousness it deserves.
    Not all that much. It's a game.

Xykon In The Playground nominee, way back when that happened.

Rebel Leader

Breakfast-atar by The Neoclassic whom I appreciate very much!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Awarding XP for DMNPCs

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I tend to make my baddies by hand. How do I award experience? Is there like a formula or something? Mine are essentially PCs, but I control them.
    Enemies don't win XP. DMPC's get XP as normal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I do this as well (referring to the OP's post).
    However, I only give them experience for "grand tasks" or accomplishing their own personal larger goals.
    Winning a major battle as a lead in an army. Assassinating a lord. Etc.

Or if they are less major, then similar to PCs. Killing the druid that lead an attack on the NPC's druid - or alternatively - for the NPC druid destroying the NPC village.

I also tend to only give them half XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Enemies don't win XP. DMPC's get XP as normal.
    A person can not play that way, y'know.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2008-05-29 at 08:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

I seem to have been misunderstood. I meant for killing the handmade baddies. How much XP should the average party of 3 lvl 1s get for killing a level 3 barbarian or something.

Rebel Leader

5. - Top - End - #5

I seem to have been misunderstood. I meant for killing the handmade baddies. How much XP should the average party of 3 lvl 1s get for killing a level 3 barbarian or something.
    The DMG has rules for that. If you feel it's powerful enough to qualify for a higher CR, just treat the mob as a higher CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

A PC classed enemy has a CR equal to its class + level adjustment.
    "Where we have strong emotions we are liable to fool ourselves." -Carl Sagan

Super sweet Gordon "The One Free Man" Freeman avatar by Elvaris

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSiege View Post
    Unless you feel it's far more powerful than it's level indicates, for example, a FoI factotum, or a well tweaked swordsage.

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Re: Awarding XP for killing DMNPCs

Were they meant to be killed as an adversary? If not, don't award anything. Stop encouraging your players to go around killing the quest givers.

9. - Top - End - #9

Whoah! a level 3 orc barb should not at all be CR3, that's ridiculous. it's one person, not a challenge for 4 of the same level! Especially considering there are supposed to be both a cleric and a wizard in the party. Thanks though, I found the table after looking in the DMG. I usually use the srd encounter calculator for XP awards.

Rebel Leader

10. - Top - End - #10

Whoah! a level 3 orc barb should not at all be CR3, that's ridiculous. it's one person, not a challenge for 4 of the same level! Especially considering there are supposed to be both a cleric and a wizard in the party. Thanks though, I found the table after looking in the DMG. I usually use the srd encounter calculator for XP awards.
    It is, according to the rules. One class level = +1 CR.

Of course, that's b0rked, because PC's tend to be something like either 2 or 10 CR above their level. A badly built barb WOULD be a challenge for 3-4 PC's of level 3, though.

But as they say, when the rules are stupid, you **** the rules and do it your way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

An equivalent-CR challenge should be equal to a single PC, and should take about 20% of a party's daily resources to defeat. They shouldn't be as powerful as the party.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A "challenge" - that is, something with a 50-50 chance of winning against the level 3 party - would be a CR 7 creature. CR X does not mean "will seriously threaten a level X party". It means "will take a level X party about 20% of its daily resources to beat". Power roughly doubles every 2 points of CR, so to get something an even match for a 4 member party you would need an opponent of CR 4 above party level.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    An equivalent-CR challenge should be equal to a single PC, and should take about 20% of a party's daily resources to defeat. They shouldn't be as powerful as the party.
    I'm pretty sure it said half in the DMG. Oh wait, no, that says 20%. that is far too easy. I admit I was wrong...I am sorry.

Rebel Leader

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure it said half in the DMG. Oh wait, no, that says 20%. that is far too easy. I admit I was wrong...I am sorry.
    A party is supposed to be able to handle 4 equal-CR encounters in a day. If each one works exactly as intended (they never do, but hey, it's a theoretical construct) then the party has expended about 80% of their resources, where resources comprises all of HP, per-day abilities, expendable magic items, etc. If they are subjected to a fifth equal-CR encounter, they should beat it.. but they'll have just about nothing left. A couple of them may have actually died. A higher CR encounter at that point has a very high chance of killing at least one party member and may cause a TPK. If you prefer every fight to bear a risk of death or at least seriously test the party's resources, you should use higher CR enemies as your primary encounters. Or have intelligent enemies act intelligently- there are a number of monsters that become far more dangerous than their CR if they make good use of the spell-likes and other abilities they have.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Level adjustment does not affect CR at all. Most things that give a level adjustment also give a separate CR adjustment, which may or may not be the same number.

As for a CR 3 not being a challenge for a level 3 party, remember that CR equal to party level is supposed to be the sort of thing you can throw at the party four times a day, every day of an adventure, and that an adventure is supposed to be something that the party has a pretty good chance of surviving. If you throw things at the party that have a chance of killing them all, several times a day, the odds are going to catch up to them pretty quickly, and you'll have a TPK.

Now, there should be some things in the game that do have a significant chance of mopping the floor with the party. The final villain of a campaign should not be on the same power level as the things they're fighting four times a day. But those things have a challenge rating higher than the party's level.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

An even fight is a ECL+4 or +5 encounter.

Ie, a party of 4 level 4 PCs, built on the elite array, should find a CR 8 to 9 monster to be about an even fight.

That is based off of four same-level NPCs (each even CR), producing an encounter of CR+4.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    An even fight is a ECL+4 or +5 encounter.

Ie, a party of 4 level 4 PCs, built on the elite array, should find a CR 8 to 9 monster to be about an even fight.

That is based off of four same-level NPCs (each even CR), producing an encounter of CR+4.
    Practically speaking, a single CR 8/9 monster will probably kill a level 4 party. You're expected to fight that monster with level 8 gear, stats, and (especially) spells (er.. spell level 4, character level 8.) If you're trying to take that on with just level 4 stuff and second-level spells, you're probably going to fail- the monster will have higher AC, saves, damage, and possibly resistances than you're supposed to be hitting at that level.

A group of even or lesser CR monsters with enough numbers to increase the encounter's effective CR/encounter level can be a tough-but-fair fight, because they're all individually low enough to fight. They aren't equivalent to one high CR monster, tho, which is just another point where the CR system breaks down.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

It really depends on the creature in question. If the only way it's possible to kill a particular monster is via one particular fourth-level spell, for instance, then that monster is going to be listed as at least CR 7, and you should never throw it at a party below that (except maybe in a situation where they're just supposed to run from or otherwise avoid it). If it's just a matter of the monster being more resilient overall, or just hitting harder, or whatever, then it can be reasonable to occasionally throw one against a lower-level party (as long as you don't do it too often).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I don't remember which book it is (Heroes of Horror?) where they talk about building encounters that will scare the PCs and they mention that the ideal final boss style monster is between 2 an 4 CR's higher than the party, making it a real fight, one won with real effort.
    Wenton Miles: Grey Jedi SECR Vong PBP

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've heard that, in the wild, if one DM encroaches upon the territory of another, the offended DM will attempt to assert their dominance by throwing sacks of d12s at the intruder. If this activity proves fruitless, the DM generally shrinks back to their den in defeat, relinquishing the land, only to blog about it on their MySpace later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    . . . the designers probably felt weird giving monsters Schrödinger's hit points.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Personnally, I'd say they get experience as the plot dictate.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Practically speaking, a single CR 8/9 monster will probably kill a level 4 party. You're expected to fight that monster with level 8 gear, stats, and (especially) spells (er.. spell level 4, character level 8.) If you're trying to take that on with just level 4 stuff and second-level spells, you're probably going to fail- the monster will have higher AC, saves, damage, and possibly resistances than you're supposed to be hitting at that level.

A group of even or lesser CR monsters with enough numbers to increase the encounter's effective CR/encounter level can be a tough-but-fair fight, because they're all individually low enough to fight. They aren't equivalent to one high CR monster, tho, which is just another point where the CR system breaks down.
    Depends on what you're fighting.

Ie. fighters power scales quadratically with their level, approximatly. Double HP means 2x as strong. Double damage means 2x as strong again. That's 4x as strong, total.

However, wizard power scales by a might higher amount, 2x for HP and then perhaps linearly with number of spells and then perhaps 4x for each spell level increase. It's complicated.

22. - Top - End - #22

Well said guy above me.

There's 'hard' CR and 'soft' CR. Weaker enemies with more HD are almost always soft CR, because they'll have nothing that's too hard for the party, just more accurate and harder-hitting/absorbing. Something like a shadow, though, is a 'hard' CR. No magic weapons? You're toast. Simple as that. If you have magic weapons, you might be okay, if you don't, you're dead.

Dragons are also too hard for the their CR, which is always huge(but they have so much loot!). Then again, dragons are a win button for DMs. Smart enough to take advantage of any metaknowledge the DM has, strong enough to wade into melee if necessary, and with a hoard of treasure. Always roll treasure before combat begins(well in advance) So that you can have the dragon use scrolls, fling things at other people, etc. Magic weapons are fun to throw. Especially if they're sized wrong for the dragon.

So yeah. Player CR is different from monster CR, and both are different in groups or singly. 4 individually appropriate monsters make a beastly encounter because they can flank the fighter AND attack the spellcasters. One huge monster gets flanked and SA to death right away.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine