New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Monster as player question

Hey, I'm new to these forums but heard it was a good place to ask a few questions.

I was looking at creating a Hound Archon character for a higher level campaign. It has 6 hit dice and a +5 level adjustment. What is the lowest level character I could create? Would it be ECL 11 and have no class levels? Or would I have to make a lvl 12 character with one class level? How many levels of outsider would I have (5 for the level adjustment? 6 for the hit dice? 11 because of both?) And how do those levels in outsider affect the character?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Monster as player question

ECL 11 is the lowest level. The hit die count as class levels. As far as outsider, it means your hit die, not your LA.
    Last edited by Farmer42; 2008-05-30 at 03:09 PM.
    Wenton Miles: Grey Jedi SECR Vong PBP

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I've heard that, in the wild, if one DM encroaches upon the territory of another, the offended DM will attempt to assert their dominance by throwing sacks of d12s at the intruder. If this activity proves fruitless, the DM generally shrinks back to their den in defeat, relinquishing the land, only to blog about it on their MySpace later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    . . . the designers probably felt weird giving monsters Schrödinger's hit points.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The minimum level would be as the base creature- ECL 11 with no class levels. It would have six Outsider hit dice. The character would be created like any other sixth-level character (that is, you'd get three feats for your HD and one stat improvement, your first HD would be maximum, you get x4 skill points on the first hit die). You just refer to the Outsider Type to see what your BAB, Hit Point, Saves, and Skills are instead of checking a class entry. Your class skills for those Outsider hit dice are whatever the creature has on its monster entry.
    See here for more information.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Wow, that was fast! Thank you much. Can't wait to start!