New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default So, who's sticking with 3.X?

So, who's sticking with D&D 3.X? I know I am. I may be a fool, but I'll stick with the devil I know, rather than the demon I don't (at least devils will make a deal with you).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: So, who's sticking with 3.X?

Count me in. I spent too much effort getting all of these books to make them obsolete.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am.

Although I think I'm going to make a 3.7 edition (or a "How I think 4e should be" edition).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I will give 4th a shot but my group just switched to 3.5 from 2nd.
    It took that long to convince them

On the plus side Half Price Books will have tons of 3.5 books pretty soon.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    I am.

Although I think I'm going to make a 3.7 edition (or a "How I think 4e should be" edition).
    I worked on that for awhile, but the team that came to the board and wiki I set up for the purpose couldn't agree on anything, so everyone lost interest.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'll probably stick with 3.5. Don't get me wrong, 4e looks great, I'm just thrifty to the point of being cheap, so at the least I'll only be willing to buy the books used.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Me. Partly because I don't have $100 to buy the new set, but mostly because the new rules kinda look stupid. No versatility. "You do this, and I do that!" "But I wanted to try..." "NO! That's not how it works! That's the other dude's job!"

Stupid crap like that.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    I worked on that for awhile, but the team that came to the board and wiki I set up for the purpose couldn't agree on anything, so everyone lost interest.
    Team? If Fax every stopped being incommunicado I would draft him to help. Otherwise I would grab Solo, Jack Manycoats, and maybe one or two others and mostly use them to bounce ideas off of and for balance opinions. Then I would get people I trust to play test. Then I would post the updates.

Frankly, I would take ToB and the Expanded Psionic Handbook and chuck most every other class concept rules wise. A lot of refluffing and then most of the rest would deal with spell and power balance issues. I would dump the Sorcerer and maybe the monk (moving some of its capabilities onto the rogue).

All full casters would be based off the Psion. All half casters would be based on either ToB or the Psiwarrior. All other classes would be based on ToB. The only real hard part would be the druid, and that would be mostly balancing class features.

9. - Top - End - #9

I'm playing 3.5 in several PbP games and an RL group, so I'll certainly not be abruptly discontinuing it or avoiding it for new games. I won't be avoiding 4e, though. I'll look to play at least one game of it to see what it's like. I can't see myself deciding never to play it any more than I'd pledge never to try Exalted or WoD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Sticking with 3.T(ome). I've just about got the system working the way I want it now. Still might steal a few of the less bad ideas from 4th Ed though.

I think - when it finally comes down to it - that the very idea of a wizard with anything other than a d4 hit die is deeply offensive to me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do, as do all of the people I play with (10).
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I still haven't received my PHB so I haven't read it to give it a fair review but, if what I've been hearing here and in the previews is accurate, I'll be sticking with 3.5.

3.7e Project: I'd, too, use the XPH and the ToB but I'd also keep the specialized spontaneous casters more-or-less intact (dread necro, beguiler, warmage, and my shadowmage). I've kind of got a soft-spot for Vancian spellcasting, so I don't know if I'd be comfortable re-working the wizard and cleric into Power Points system. I almost feel it'd be stealing some of the psionic "different" feel. Maybe swap the Animal Companion progressions for the druid and ranger...but I haven't honestly thought all that much about those classes.
    Last edited by ghost_warlock; 2008-06-02 at 02:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'll be sticking with 3.x but I'm leading the design of a homebrew system with my gaming group that will cater to our simulationist style of play. Once that's done it'll be good-bye DnD forever. (At least until I get rich off of my homebrewed system then buy out the mess 5th edition will have become and then I'll make a good RPG with the name DnD and not a half-assed one.)
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah im sticking with 3.5 all my screwed up house rules to boot
    ..."With My hilt to the heavens I honor you, with my chalice held high I toast you, on one knee we mourn you.

Ernest Gary Gygax (July 27, 1939-March 4, 2008)

May your rolls be high, and your loot amazing. and your taverns plentiful.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

15. - Top - End - #15

My group looked at 4.e, and have been entirely unimpressed. We're sticking with 3.5, and we're going to be using homebrew stuff (ours and others) when we feel the need to expand into new content.

We might be leeching ideas and mechanisms out of 4.e though. "down-converting" new monsters or classes and such.

And for anyone interested, that means the Dustlands will remain entirely 3.5 compatible.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I am currently running a 3.5 campaign and will run it to its completion. Then, I will homebrew version 3.75. Basically, using ToB as a template and throwing in ideas from 4e, I will try to to do a re-balanced system using most of the 3.5 backbone and flavor, but doing it with at-will powers, encounter powers, per day powers, etc.

And then, I'll throw that into a Final Fantasy campaign setting

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I haven't studied 4e much, but nothing I have seen makes me want to play it. I'll probably stick to 3.5 for my D&D and try to persuade everyone I know to play Exalted or Burning Wheel instead.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

My group will be staying 3.5 (6 of us), we all feel very abandoned by the whole change.
    "Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the DM amongst his books for to you your characters and their equipment are mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment to be overturned by the flicking of a finger." - Raven's Cry

(post #71 here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=139886&page=3)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm sticking with 3.x, mostly because learning a new system will take too long, but also because 3.x books are now cheaper than before.
    Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by The Duskblade View Post
    I hate to say it but there's a snowball's chance in hell.

YOU CAN DO IT SNOWBALL!
    “Parley” is the French word for “everyone else is flat-footed and bare-handed”.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm gonna play whatever my groups want to play. I won't be buying 4e books unless we like the system and I won't be selling off my 3.5 books unless we really like 4e and see no reason to go back.

As much as I enjoyed 3.x, it is a flawed system and it was time for something new. Whether or not 4e is an adequate replacement remains to be seen. As much as I want to rail on it for making casters less interesting, all I really know is that 4e casters are less interesting than 3.x casters. 4e casters compared to other 4e classes (which is the only comparison we should be making) may still prove to be fun and interesting.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Not me. But I suspect that doesn't count since I haven't been using 3E anyway. But there's some stuff that I'll be piching from 4E, just as I pinched much of 3E for my own twisted experiments...
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone heard if the SRD is staying online? It's going hurt my group alot if it goes down..

And we haven't decided. I have yet to look at it, and my friend who actually played it don't have a freaking opinion.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

4e looks less than adequate, so I'll be sticking with 3.5 until proven wrong.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I've still got plenty of stuff to try in 3.5, and its flaws haven't bothered me yet (I only read about them on internet fora). So there's no reason to spend the time and money to switch.
    Maybe after our campaign finishes, or a while after that, because 4e looks ok, but at our playing rate, by then we might have 5th edition on the way...

25. - Top - End - #25

I'm not sure. I know I'll keep -using- 3rd Edition. As for actually playing 4E, I'm about to play it for the first time tonight, so I'll see if I like how it runs or not.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    I'm not sure. I know I'll keep -using- 3rd Edition. As for actually playing 4E, I'm about to play it for the first time tonight, so I'll see if I like how it runs or not.
    It runs fine and it is fun, just don't expect what you would generally consider D&D. Go into it treating 4e as an entirely different game from a different publisher and with no connection to the D&D franchise.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    It runs fine and it is fun, just don't expect what you would generally consider D&D. Go into it treating 4e as an entirely different game from a different publisher and with no connection to the D&D franchise.
    Not true. It feels like D&D to all 3 groups I've played/run with.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm sticking to 3.5 for the following reasons:

1) I'm cheap.
    2) SRD was free (except for cost of paper and ink).
    3) In the middle of paizo's Savage Tide Adventure Path and conversion will take time I don't have.
    4) A couple players are new to DnD and a massive rules change will only confuse them more.
    5) I'm old to DnD and a massive rules change will only confuse me more.

Maybe in a couple of years after the hubbub dies down, and the errata comes out, will I check out 4th.

29. - Top - End - #29

I'll probably play a casual one-shot or so of 4e sometime, but I'm mostly going to be sticking with 3.5.

Until (and if) I finish my own 3.7e, that is. It's making excellent progress in some areas, struggling in others.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

AssassinGuy

I'll occasionally play 3.5, for obscene rules mastery implementation, wacky games consisting entirely of, e.g., a con artist group of Beguilers, Unseen Seers, &etc.

I'll mostly switch to 4E for my D&D needs. And, of course, there's all those other games that are actually really good to play...