New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Golembane Scarab?

So, my character mostly uses piercing damage. Due to it being an evil campaign we don't really have to worry about undead, but constructs may be a problem. To counteract this, I picked up a Golembane Scarab. This description reads as this
    Scarab, Golembane
    This beetle-shaped pin enables its wearer to detect any golem within 60 feet, although he must concentrate (a standard action) in order for the detection to take place. A scarab enables its possessor to combat golems with weapons, unarmed attacks, or natural weapons as if those golems had no damage reduction.

Moderate divination; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, creator must be at least 10th level; Price 2,500 gp.
    Well, Last session we were fighting a big nasty construct, and my DM said that I didn't get to bypass it's DR because it wasn't technically a Golem. And because the description specifically says "Golem" not "construct"

However, golem isn't specified as a subtype of Construct, not even in the MM descriptions of Golems. So, was my DM right in this case? Is this item a total piece of junk? If a train leaves chicago at 12:51 and arrives in Dallas at 8:23, was the soup served on board the dining car any good and did the man in car three finish the Chicago Tribune's crossword puzzle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Golembane Scarab?

Ahem

Yes, he was right.

No, because it's cheap GP wise, which counteracts the limitations and situationality of the item

Chicago soup is exemplary in my experience, but travel-based foods are terrible. Therefore, the soup was mediocre.

Depends, the Tribune's puzzle can be tricky. Is he a Chicago local? If so, probably. Otherwise, probably not.
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2008-06-05 at 12:58 PM.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

A recent "find" of mine is the Ring of Adamantine touch out of the MIC. All of your melee attack are treated as Adamantine for the purpose of damage reduction. 6k gold.

You may want to look into one.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric View Post
    A recent "find" of mine is the Ring of Adamantine touch out of the MIC. All of your melee attack are treated as Adamantine for the purpose of damage reduction. 6k gold.

You may want to look into one.
    I don't think we have the MIC, and this character already has two rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    I don't think we have the MIC, and this character already has two rings.
    Oh, that's too bad. But you could always swap a ring out if you come up against a construct, I suppose.

Anyway, happy hunting.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

for a pricier version I've found getting two maces of smiting and just rolling until you hit a 20 pretty good, provided you can get some method of full attacking. If your DM is amienable to the idea a sling of smiting is even better given constructs are often programmed and can't deal with flying snipers.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.