New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Battlemage Times Paladin equals Baneful Heightened Maximized Empowered Fireball!

The Pala-Wizard

Not all paladins use physical weapons. Some use the Smite Evil ability to do damage to the enemy with arcane spells. They

They are proficient with any 4 simple weapons, but not armor or anything else.
    A Paladin who takes levels of Pala-Wizard or vice versa does not lose advancement potential. For purposes of smiting per day, Pala-Wizard and Paladin levels stack. A Pala-wizard casts like a wizard and needs a spellbook for arcane spells. A Pala-Wizard casts from the Sorcerer-Wizard spell-list using his Intelligence. A Pala-Wizard can also cast all Paladin spells as a paladin of 1 level lower (Paladin levels stack for this, too) at one-half caster level. He gains no bonus spells whatsoever.

Pala-Wizard
    {table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Aura of Good, Detect Evil (at will), Smite with Magic (su) 1/Day|3|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3||4|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3||4|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

4th|+2|+1|+1|+4||4|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—|—

5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Divine Health, Turn Undead, Smite with Magic (su) 2/Day|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—|—

6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Aura of Courage, Improved Magical Smiting|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—|—

7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Paladin\'s Mount|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—|—

8th|+4|+2|+2|+6||4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—|—

9th|+4|+3|+3|+6||4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—|—

10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Smite with Magic (su) 3/Day|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—|—

11th|+5|+3|+3|+7||4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—|—

12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Greater Magical Smiting|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—|—

13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8||4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—|—

14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9||4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—|—

15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Smite with Magic (su) 4/Day|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|—

16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|—

17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10||4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1

18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Bonus Feat [wizard]|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2

19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11||4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3

20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Smite with Magic (su) 5/Day|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4

[/table]
    Alignment: Lawful Good
    Hit Die: 1d4

Class Skills:
    Concentration, Spellcraft, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Ride, Heal, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Handle Animal, Profession
    Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) × 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Smite with Magic A Pala-Wizard can use a Smite Evil use on arcane magic and choose a free metamagic feat to apply to a spell from the following list: Widen (Will not enlarge if there are nonevils in the normal spell area and does not hit nonevils), Extend (for spells that impair an enemy or enemies in the duration), Enlarge, Heighten (does not cost a higher level spell slot, but must be able to cast that level), Maximize, Empower, and, can add his Charisma bonus to any type of attack (touch or otherwise) for the spell. If he holds the charge, he can still use the bonus. He also adds his his class level (Paladin levels stack) to the damage done by any spell. If the spell forces a save, he adds his Charisma to that as well, but cannot then use the empower feat.
    Improved Magical Smiting At 6th and 12th level, a Pala-Wizard can choose one more free metamagic to add to the spell.
    Paladin"s Mount A Pala-Wizard uses these abilities as a paladin of one level lower. Once again, paladin levels stack.

So. How broken is this?
    Last edited by ikrase; 2008-06-11 at 05:12 PM.
    Tall Dark Strangers In Hooded Cloaks should be assumed to be Epic until proven Low Level.

Maybe there is an artifact: Cloak of Mighty Power

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Battlemage Times Paladin equals Baneful Heightened Maximized Empowered Fireball!

Hehe...cool. If normal paladins get the features they get by inserting sticks in odd places, this must be one *expletive* of a stick!

The only thing I'd like to know is if they have more class skills...there seems to be awfully few...
    Just remember - yelling "Who wrote this ****?!" at the top of your lungs is a normal and accepted part of the editing process.

The wizard who reads a thousand books is powerful. The wizard who memorises a thousand book is insane.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FF Fanboy
    Undead have quasi-feelings, too!
    Thanks to kpenguin for the excellent avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Battlemage Times Paladin equals Baneful Heightened Maximized Empowered Fireball!

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how well the abilities synergise, though. Do you think a Battle Sorcerer with feats which give Lay on Hands and a ridable animal companion would work better? (it would be able to use light armour without ASF, and it would be better for melee combat and using Lay on Hands, but it would get less spells). I'll get some information about Battle Sorcerers and the feat which gives you a companion.

EDIT: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a contains information on the Wild Cohort feat, and page 114 of http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...asses-Base.pdf details Battle Sorcerers.
    Last edited by Tempest Fennac; 2008-06-10 at 02:11 AM.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

Maybe... I could also make some metamagics or use some existing ones (Align Spell, Smity Spell, Anti-Chaotic Spell, but the idea of blaster mages with anti-evil spells seemed good, and this way I can have Paladin levels stack.
    Tall Dark Strangers In Hooded Cloaks should be assumed to be Epic until proven Low Level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Whoa. Wait just a minute.

It's a Wizard, with access to healing spells, more class features, and a higher HD? GAH!

This needs some toning down...it's currently something of a one-man party (I mean, the only thing a wizard really needs is healing, and this has that covered).
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2008-06-10 at 05:33 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, there's this thing called gestalt characters that I think you should check out. They could save you a lot of time & effort kit-bashing classes together. Also, Paladin/Sorcerers are a much better combo, due to the Charisma synergy (although in any case, you can't wear armor).

7. - Top - End - #7

Hit Die....Oh. Whoops. Good luck at getting more than one healing spell per day...Maybe no bonus spells. Hey! I know. Lets give it a caster level penalty for normal casting. Any call-outs. I know this is basically a wizard/paladin gestalt, but no feat, mashup, gestalt or anything I know of gets you the spell-smiting this easily. Also, is it even possible to have a party if the only person sucks at combat and runs out of ammo really fast?
    Last edited by ikrase; 2008-06-11 at 05:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Try Complete Champion, there's a 5 level PrC for the wizardly types that grants a smite evil with spell kind of ability. It loses a spellcasting level or two, and actually really sucks, but it does exist.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

It has no scribe ability. A DM could maliciously say that you can't scribe.