New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Can Warforged have breath weapons?

I had the idea of a Warforged Dragon Shaman (the healing isn't cut in half I don't believe from their version of Lay on Hands, which is cool) and then I realized that Warforged don't even breathe. Can they "learn" to breathe acid or fire or ice or whatever out of their mouths by taking a level of DS? It just seems wierd, but cool at the same time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Can Warforged have breath weapons?

You could roleplay it as a component worked into your body, a device that sprays forth a cloud of acid, ignites a jet of alcohol or gasoline, etc. Or you could say "it be magic".
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

heh... I really like the idea of a Warforged opening up his faceplate to release a gout of flame or acid, honestly the mechanical aspect isn't too tough to imagine, I mean, they're magical by nature, I would imagine that the original crafter had installed some kind of mystical energy blaster component...

come to think of it, I mean, an Elf is rather slim to contain a massive acid-bladder to unleash a 30 foot stream 5 feet wide of pure ACID... Honestly it makes about as much sense as anything

Rule of Cool wins methinks...
    Member of a fanclub.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    heh... I really like the idea of a Warforged opening up his faceplate to release a gout of flame or acid...
    Psh, faceplate nothin'.

Give your Warforged flamethrowers in their palms or forearms.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Talk to the repulsor.
    If you're wondering how PC's eat and breathe, and other science facts
    Repeat to yourself "It's just a game, I should really just relax!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So at level 19 he becomes Iron Man? (Draconic wings grants Flight at class level 19)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"Breath weapons" are somewhat mis-named. All it really is is something dangerous spewing out of your mouth: Breath doesn't really have anything to do with it. Warforged don't normally have the appropriate body parts (which aren't particularly related to lungs) for spewing fire out of their mouths, but then, humans don't normally have those body parts, either. So if you can accept a human learning to breathe fire, then you should be able to accept a warforged learning to do the same thing.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

A breath weapon is simply an expulsion of some substance from whatever passes for a "mouth". The ability to breathe is not required. Just ask the Iron Golem.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    So at level 19 he becomes Iron Man? (Draconic wings grants Flight at class level 19)
    If only there was a Warforged equivalent of the Body Pouch feat so someone could ride around inside of you.

The best you can do now is maybe use a Savage Species subrace ritual to make yourself a Scaled One, take Body Pouch, and then have a Pixie party member use you as a robot suit.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2008-06-11 at 12:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

According to the Monster Manual

"Creatures unable to breathe can still use breath weapons. (The term is something of a misnomer.)"
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iron golems have them, I don't see why a warforged can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Bard

Class features

Rhythm: At first level Bards gain Rhythm.
    Music: At first level Bards gain Music.

Who could ask for anything more?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ned the undead View Post
    Iron golems have them, I don't see why a warforged can't.
    I understand that now, but the whole concept still amuses the hell outta me. Talk to the Repulsor...hehehe.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I am playing a DFA Warforged in our campaign.

And with the right fluff, a DFA or Warlock Warforged would make a damn good Iron Man. (The only other route is a Human Artificer and custom make the Iron Man suit as a magic item set)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

1) Awesome concept Frosty.

2) Are you wedded to Dragon Shaman? Wouldn't Dragonfire Adept or a Bard with the Dragonfire Inspiration (Dragon Magic) and Dragon Breath (Races of the Dragon) feats be better choices? DFA will give you the uber breath weapon and invocations. Bard would give you buffs superior to the Shaman's, the ability to sacrifice spells to breath fire, and the versatility of Bard Skills (including healing) and spells.

3) If you do go Dragon Shaman, I'd be interested in seeing your build. I've always wanted that class to work properly (like his more functional brothers the Knight, Beguiler, and Duskblade), but I've never been able to. But if you can, I'm all ears.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well the concept of a Warforged that WORSHPS a Dragon is beyond awesome. Plus it's funny to see a Warforged's body slowly turn more and more draconic as they advance in DS (for example, a human's skin would get harder and ore reptilian as he gains natural AC like a dragon).

As for build, our group houseruled Dragon Shamans to be more powerful because as they are, they suck. Breath weapon now recharges in 1d2 rounds, breath damage gets an extra dice at all levels, and there are various equipment to help boost breath damage. DS also have FULL BAB, and can wear heavy armor if desired. The Breath Recovery feat can also be taken multiple times.

Warforged have good CON, so that further boosts the DC of the breath weapon. The idea is to make a Tank that can wipe out mooks with breath weapons and be tough enough to withstand attacks from a single big bad. With healing aura and the Lay on Hands not affected by the Warforged 1/2 healing thing, he can do quite well.

Take feats to make you tougher, and feats to help your breath weapon, and also meta-breath feats. I know there's a feat that lets your breath entangle enemies and such.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    If only there was a Warforged equivalent of the Body Pouch feat so someone could ride around inside of you.

The best you can do now is maybe use a Savage Species subrace ritual to make yourself a Scaled One, take Body Pouch, and then have a Pixie party member use you as a robot suit.
    Hm. Doesn't the Warforged already have some kind of carrying pouch? I'm away from the books at the moment, but I could have sworn they do.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Hm. Doesn't the Warforged already have some kind of carrying pouch? I'm away from the books at the moment, but I could have sworn they do.
    I homeberewed an extradimensonal chest cavity that you could store things in. IT was 10X10, so you had to hav help to get things out of it. I had this hilarious image of a kobold living in there, grabbing things when asked in exchange for a permanently-pleasant home.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Body Pouch....

I beleive they had a component from Dragon 352. I only know this because I have read that issue to death for it's monsters, but it had a warforged article that included this cool component that was essentially a Bag of Holding in his chest!

Hope that helps.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I had the idea of a Warforged Dragon Shaman (the healing isn't cut in half I don't believe from their version of Lay on Hands, which is cool)
    It's a supernatural ability which cures hit point damage - it's halved. Or I'm mistaken for some reason I can't see.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    It's a supernatural ability which cures hit point damage - it's halved. Or I'm mistaken for some reason I can't see.
    It isn't a conjuration (healing) effect, so I don't think it would be halved. Lay on Hands technically isn't one either, but it acts like one (damaging undead), and Touch of Vitality doesn't.

Edit- No, looking it up, it also mentions supernatural abilities. I guess not, but it wouldn't be unreasonable for a warforged dragon shaman to get a substitution feature similar to the warforged paladin, letting them repair full damage to constructs and heal half damage to living creatures.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-06-11 at 02:34 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Technically, yes, and it's neat fi you RP it up. For example, I played a dragonborn warforged totemist in one campaign, and I had so many natural attacks... but it was cool to RP it up. You know, the fact that he had two tails, four claws, an a breath weapon.
    Bleh. Undecided Signature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    He's right. The Crusader's healing works at full strength because it's an extraordinary ability.

Nutbunnies.

Edit: whoops, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark
    It isn't a conjuration (healing) effect, so I don't think it would be halved. Lay on Hands technically isn't one either, but it acts like one (damaging undead), and Touch of Vitality doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS
    "However, spells from the healing subschool and supernatural abilities that cure hit point damage or ability damage provide only half their normal effect to a warforged."
    Emphasis mine.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-06-11 at 03:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    She's right. The Crusader's healing works at full strength because it's an extraordinary ability.

Nutbunnies.
    On the plus side, as far as I can make out, fast healing is by default an extraordinary ability and therefore the vigor aura should work at full strength for a warforged.

Also, I am male.