Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Idle Curiosity about 4e, age, and gender

Hey, I have some idle curiosity about age of players, gender, and likes or dislikes. I don't see a way to set up a poll on this forum, so we will have to do it the hard way, but I just was wondering if people would be willing to post their age, gender, and like or dislike of the system. I was wondering if there are any patterns there.

Now, if you don't want to reveal any of the above, obviously don't post that part. I for one don't care. If you prefer, you could post what edition you started with in lieu of age. And there are PLENTY of posts about why 4th ed is terrible or the greatest edition ever. Leave those posts for those threads. This is simply about idle curiosity.

The editions are D&D (This referrs to the very first edition ever. It came in a small box with 3 white booklets in it. The booklets themselves were not too much larger than a normal paperback book, and much thinner.)

Basic D&D and its expansions. (Basic, expert, etc, all the way through Immortals)

AD&D (AD&D and Basic are actually kinda woven together here. Basic came out just before AD&D, but expert, companion, master and immortal came out after AD&D. Still, not worrying TOO much here. They were all a long time ago.)

AD&D 2nd ed

3rd ed

3.5 ed

4th ed

O.K. I will begin. I started way way back at the very beginning with the first ever little boxed set of white booklets. I played through all the editions (Yes, even immortals. I confess, I made a god. Hey, I was younger then)

I don't much like 4th ed.

I am male. And I am forty-*cough, cough cough* years old.
    Last edited by Thrud; 2008-06-22 at 05:53 PM.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Idle Curiosity about 4e, age, and gender

Mid to late twenties male.

First D&D was 2nd Ed. AD&D.

Preordered the books for my group, plus another set for myself, and am thinking of cancelling the books for myself before they ship. Not too thrilled with the new edition (detail in spoiler).

Spoiler
    Show
    I was hoping that I would be able to buy the core three books and leave it at that, as I was expecting more versatility in what you could do with existing classes and with multiclassing. I am quite disappointed that I will need to buy splatbooks (which I will not) in order to play concepts which cannot be represented well with the material in the core rulebooks. I used just core before this edition and never really felt constrained except in a few instances.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thrud View Post
    Hey, I have some idle curiosity about age of players, gender, and likes or dislikes. I don't see a way to set up a poll on this forum, so we will have to do it the hard way, but I just was wondering if people would be willing to post their age, gender, and like or dislike of the system.
    43, male, if I play D&D it's AD&D, I play lots of systems, mostlythe GM's homebrew and mostly similar to this one (though not the setting, which my current group hates).

Started with the brown books. Not interested in 4ed.
    Last edited by nagora; 2008-06-22 at 06:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Also mid-twenties, started AD&D 2E.

I love 4E thus far. Seems like it'll work much better for our games, as it feels like it better facilitates our interests in group dynamic and gives some nice ideas for skill challenges without bogging down in tons of superfluous skills that require tracking. It seems to give us the rules we'd prefer to have (i.e. combat) and leaves the role-playing to us as role-players.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nineteen.

First D&D: 3e, passed onto 3.5 after a couple of sessions. Played AD&D unwittingly due to videogame adaptations, but I don't remember much of those.

I don't like 4th edition.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Early-mid twenties, female.

Started with 1e AD&D.

I appreciate and enjoy 4e.
    Last edited by THAC0; 2008-06-22 at 06:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Mid twenties, male. Started with 3.5. Enjoy 4e.
    Avatar made by ME! I think I did well!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs up Re: Idle Curiosity about 4e, age, and gender

Late 20s male. First D&D was 2nd. Liking 4E.

9. - Top - End - #9

16 Male. Started with AD&D, played a few games at 8 years old. Moved on 3/3.5 enjoyed it. Love 4e.
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2008-06-22 at 06:12 PM.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Male, 27, played a *tiny* amount of 3.X but was far more interested in other things. Extremely positive about 4E.

For what it's worth I also play a whole mess of other systems (just most recent campaigns: Weapons of the Gods, REIGN, Dark Heresy).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Male, 22 years old. Despite possessing quite a bit of theoretical knowledge about DND 3.x and playing many other systems, 4e is my first DND. I like it a lot.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

12. - Top - End - #12

18 Male, almost ready to start 3.5, but played 3.x Computer Games like NWN. Dislike 4e, have not tried earlier systems, but believe them to still be great systems.
    Great avatar by the magnificent Mauve Shirt.

My TVTropes Troper Page. Send me a message if you want to talk about one of them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Male 26 y/o

2e: Played one campaign as a child in an afterschool program. Enjoyed it.

Long hiatus in between.

3e: Started playing D&D again just before 3.5 was released. Enjoy it, but acknowledge its flaws.

4e: Enjoy it, and so far prefer it to 3e.
    Last edited by JaxGaret; 2008-06-22 at 07:04 PM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. - Friedrich Nietzsche

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Started with the Red basic set (at least in D&D -- had played previous RPGs).

I find 3e crusty after playing with 4e. The system is just so much cleaner, with less crud.

4e also opens itself to system transformations easier than 3e, because instead of the baseline being "you win" (Wizard) or "you mix 12 different things to kill a target instantly", the baseline power level is pretty clear.

15. - Top - End - #15

19 year old male.

kicked off with 3.5 a little after it's inception.

Played nigh-religiously all the way until 4e came out.

Solid supporter of 4e
    Member of a fanclub.

16. - Top - End - #16

22 years old and male. Started creating homebrew systems pretty early on during my youth without realizing the parallels. 3.0/3.5 was my first actual published system. I haven't yet had a chance to sit down and play 4e, but I own the books and am putting together a game for when I return to school in September. I like the way it works a lot though from what I have read, I agree with just about every design choice the developers made.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfFighterGuy

Male 24.

1e - have no experience with it.

2e - only from video games. Judging from that overall pretty solid system.

3e - mostly video games. I consider 3.5e improvement in every respect.

3.5e - played it and liked. There are things that I don't like, but there are also things that make up for it. Requires good DM and players similar in respect to each other to be enjoyable.

4e - haven't tried out system enough to form long lasting opinion on it, but from what I have seen so far pretty good system, just very different approach compared to previous editions of D&D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

29 year old male; introduced to D&D via the Red Box (Mentzer) Basic Dungeons & Dragons. It was not my first RPG. Not really fussed about 4e, though I plan to give it a shot.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-06-22 at 07:05 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Male, 28.

Started playing AD&D 2e in '99, then converted over to 3e when that came out. Played a lot of 3e/3.5 and own a lot of books. Also played some other systems (old World of Darkness, d20 Modern, Hero system, Mechwarrior, Fading Suns, Cyberpunk 2020, and a couple of others).

I am enthusiastically optimistic about 4e. I believe it is just right for me and my group, and will be glad to have more time to work on setting & story.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2008-06-22 at 07:19 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

33 male, and started way back in basic. My dad told me "Hey, I found this great game..."
    4th E....I'm ambivalent. Looks like it might be fun, but none of my group wants to give it a try.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Male, 20.

I started with 3.e, and when my friend began DMing we played 3.5. I have played AD&D as well as the first edition.
    I am very pleased with 4e.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Mid 30s Male

basic d&d was first RPG experience, have played all incarnations of d&d.

I have read/played almost every rpg that there has been (one of the perks in working in a store that sells gaming material)

Dislike 3.5 as a whole (splat books et al.) but will play versions of it (Conan d20 specifically or 'core' only d20)

Interested in 4.0 but will reserve jugdement until an actual campaign is run with it (with my group, currently playing GURPs and Dark Heresy)
    Arma virumque cano,

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

Male, 19.

1st Edition: My first system. Fun, but I didn't really know what I was doing - the DM took care of all the "rules".

2nd Edition: First system I used to run my own games and design my own adventures. Again, fun times - when the rules got too complicated, we ditched them.

3rd Edition: First time running anything other than one-offs, first time I made a serious effort to actually play by and understand the rules. Good system, though after running four long-standing campaigns, its cracks are starting to show.

Haven't played 4th Edition yet, but would like to give it a try.

I also enjoy Hackmaster, Aces & Eights, and Spirit of the Century.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Male, 37, started D&D with the old purple Basic box set. Played every version of D&D and AD&D through 3.5e more or less steadily since the 80s. Played and ran numerous other game systems, as well - Call of Cthulhu, White Wolf, Paranoia, old Marvel Super Heroes, Gamma World, you name it (pretty much).

4E opinion is ambivalent. Goodness knows, 3.5 has a lot of rule cruft that needs to be cleaned out, and 4E has some neat ideas, but I think they went a bit too far and threw out some of the good stuff that really was the core of D&D.

Thus, I suspect, the general level of animosity out there

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Male, 22 years old.

1st edition: no experience, from descriptions it sounds a lot like my memories of 2nd edition.

DMed a lot of 2nd edition, but it wasn't my first RPG. I liked it, but when I moved I didn't bother getting back into D&D until 3rd edition resparked my interest.

3rd edition: Liked it alright, there were lots of classes and races, and wizards didn't suck to play anymore. I wouldn't say it was miles ahead of 2nd, but I did like it a little bit better.

3.5: A minor improvement on a game I liked.

4th: Was cautiously optimistic going in and was won over during play. Still not my favorite RPG system, but it is my favorite edition of D&D so far.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Male, 19

Started briefly with 3.0, which rapidly became 3.5. I'm currently undecided about 4e, having never actually played it. I like a lot of what I see, am skeptical about a good bit of it, and downright disapprove of a good chunk. Still, best to reserve judgment, in my opinion.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I am 24, I started in AD&D 2nd Edition where we had resurrection survival rolls and 18/00 (I did get that once for a Fighter).

I played in 3.0 and 3.5, I really liked 3rd in how it was less cluttered in variants like 2nd.
    Over time I saw how certain classes kinda were suckier than others.

Fighters were weaker in 3rd.

I like 4th, it brings back a better balanced 2nd Edition (D&D) feel. I haven't DMed it yet, but building encounters for (the coming) Wendesdays adventure was fun.

Before there wasn't much environment additions to every encounter: now you are expected to include stuff (like carpets for pulling below peoples feet etc).
    Could just been my whole 3rd edition DMs (each) just didn't feel like including much.

My books haven't arrived (Stupid Amazon). But a Friend named John did get his so I have read it all.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wow, that's a lot of teen and 20 somethings who played 1st ed? What, were you all using your parents game books? Sheesh, I stopped playing 1st ed when 2nd came out in 1989! Huh, maybe I haven't found anything concrete about 4th ed likes and dislikes yet, but I sure am surprised by the number of people who played editions of a game that went out of print right around the time they were born.

Sorry, off topic, but it is my thread after all. Err, o.k. fine. I'll go wander off into the corner and be quiet and start compiling results again.

*wanders off mumbling to self about young whippersnappers whilst chewing on stub of pencil.*
    Last edited by Thrud; 2008-06-22 at 09:35 PM.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate.
    All those moments will be lost. . . in time. . . like. . . tears, in the rain.
    Time. To die.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Male. 21 years old.

Started on that old D&D Box Set thing, whatever it was called, but soon moved on to 2e.

Decidedly unhappy with the turn that D&D has taken with the onset of 4e, though I did feel that 3.5 could have used some changes.
    DMing In the Shadow of Death IC/OOC
    Lorne Keldoryn in Beauty and the Blight of the Black Rose IC/OOC
    Grudok Blackclaw in Legends of Arhade IC/OOC
    Marcellus Ashhad-Verinus in The Age of Wyrms IC/OOC
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Male, 26, Love 4e so far, started with 2nd Edition when I was 10... Stopped playing around the age of 16. Picked up 3e while in the USAF.