New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP or no XP?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default XP or no XP?

In all the campaigns I've been in (which, admittedly, isn't that many), the DM has handed out levels due to the actual experience of playing, not "Oh, you're at Q XP. You need to kill 5 Orcs." (Well, except once, and that was just being silly because I'd missed a session where everyone leveled up. ONE ORC! ARGH.) And on that note, item creation. Why does that burn XP? Shouldn't you gain XP from going through the process of making something? Admittedly, I see why they do this so that you don't have PCs spending a month of in-game game-time to make all sorts of uber-goodies, but still. Burning XP to do stuff like that?

My question to you, Posters in the Playground, is how do you, as PCs or DMs, handle this?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: XP or no XP?

Item creation = you imbue your own life energy (exp) to empower the item magically. That's how I understand it anyways. As for the other question, I do not exactly understand what you're asking. That seems like the rational way; give exp for what you've been through - the encounter tables are dumb.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    As for the other question, I do not exactly understand what you're asking. That seems like the rational way; give exp for what you've been through - the encounter tables are dumb.
    What I mean is, rather than saying "Ok, this green dragon is worth 5k XP. There are 3 people fighting, you each get 1666XP, with the remainder XP going Fighter McMeatshield," you go "Ok, you beat the green dragon. You all participated, and prior to this, you've done a few minor quests and beaten up a local gang of goblins. Everyone gain a level."

Or, possibly clearer, to hand out levels without tallying down every experience point gained from everything (like I mentioned in my example, "Ok, you're 5 Orcs short of a level. Go to it."

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

No XP. Just a sorta vague

"Okay your better now."

As a result, we went from 4 to 14 fairly quickly.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I do exact points. And if someone misses a session chances are good they are riding behind for the rest of the campaign (though I do mostly RP campaigns so exact level isn't as important).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    I do exact points. And if someone misses a session chances are good they are riding behind for the rest of the campaign (though I do mostly RP campaigns so exact level isn't as important).
    See, the way we fixed this in my previous campaign was with the oh-so glorious "Story XP" (or, in my case, beating down a single Orc.) Basically, people who missed a day were expected to meet up with the DM before the next session to embark on some sort of miniquest to make up the XP. And, of course, when I say XP, I use it in the "not necessarily the XP gotten from besting a monster, but rather the actual experience of doing something" sense.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2008-06-28 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Stupidity.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomeWizardGuy

I do XP. After all, I don't see a real difference between "you have 100 XP until next level" and "you have 10 HP until fully healed". We're already monkeying around with numbers, and players tend to get excited when they know they're getting closer to the next level. If I wanted a system that didn't use XP, I wouldn't be bothering with D&D.

That said, XP is gained for overcoming challanges and completing adventures. If the party just completed an adventure and everyone needs just 100 XP for next level, then the adventure was just worth another 100 XP per character. Besides, there's plenty of things to do besides killing orcs. You could do a small dragon hunt, or clear the cultists out of the abandoned temple real quick, or deliver the "absolutely safe" package for the local noble.

Also: 2e had you gain XP for making magical items. The party cleric generally shut himself in the temple for a few months until he equipped the whole party with magic gear... and got a few levels for himself. That wasn't too great of a system, either.

8. - Top - End - #8

Vague here.

Our DM lets us know exactly what level we are (and usually won't hit us with level draining effects, just because they're too much bookwork and not enough benefit from his point of view).

We can hover at a specific level indefinately, depending on what section of the world/story we're in. If we need to have trouble fighting skeletons, we'll stay low level regardless of how long we play.
    It sounds like it might be annoying, but it's really not. If the story calls for high levels, or a range of levels, we'll advance appropriately. It's all about what we're looking to play and what we're hoping to acheive.

As for item creation and XP costs, we basically have a player/DM truce on such things. We're free to make items in the game world, provided we don't try to abuse his lack of XP penny-pinching. If we tried to hole up in a dark corner and make items until we had more than we could carry, he'd smack us with the fist of an angry god. Otherwise, he'll let us make what we're setting out to make.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I like doing exact XP since sometimes I just don't have any story reason for the PCs to be stronger and might forget to let them level up.

I had a DM (I was only willing to play two sessions with him, by the way) who proudly stated he wasn't doing exact XP. What he really meant was that he refused to calculate XP since he was intentionally bad at D&D math (Being a munchkin and all) and that he was banning magic item creation while screwing up the craft rules. He then proceeded to replace XP with a system that encouraged sucking up to him and his playstyle.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-06-28 at 09:51 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post

As for item creation and XP costs, we basically have a player/DM truce on such things. We're free to make items in the game world, provided we don't try to abuse his lack of XP penny-pinching. If we tried to hole up in a dark corner and make items until we had more than we could carry, he'd smack us with the fist of an angry god. Otherwise, he'll let us make what we're setting out to make.
    This is much the same as I believe my current campaign is going to be. Basically, we've been admitted to the local mages guild, and have full access to all their goodies and labs, and I think so long as I don't go and try to make Spheres of Annihilation, I'll be good.

Off Topic: Didn't you say you were going to do a diary of your current campaign? If you still are, could I grab a link to that? Your stories are hilarious.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Off Topic: Didn't you say you were going to do a diary of your current campaign? If you still are, could I grab a link to that? Your stories are hilarious.
    I haven't really had as much time as I wanted, and the few times I came to start typing something up, the server was always too busy. Which is a shame, cause it's been an entertaining run.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    I haven't really had as much time as I wanted, and the few times I came to start typing something up, the server was always too busy. Which is a shame, cause it's been an entertaining run.
    DRAT! That's a pity.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I never let my players go up a level.

I just say you won't go up any levels until I say so, then I never say so.
    The system works!
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    I never let my players go up a level.

I just say you won't go up any levels until I say so, then I never say so.
    The system works!
    All the games I've seen you run never make it long enough to gain XP, much less level.

Also, I play the numbers, but basically arbitrarily hand them out to put my players where I want them. That way, we both get what we want. :P
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

As a player I've only ever had one DM that actually did by-the-book XP. The rest just sort of said, "Alright, it's been a few sessions - everyone level up." One of those others, though, actually did give out numerical XP (including extra for stuff like getting him a soda or other inane things), but ignored our actual XP and just said "Grow a level" when he felt like it.

As a DM, I keep track of XP by-the-book mostly. I do all the charts and whatnot, but I'll throw in some extra XP when players had a more difficult time (i.e., terrain was against them, etc.), when they complete a major adventure or quest, and occasionally just for really good roleplaying.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    • "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    • Homebrew Compendium

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I do XP by the book but I tend to award a lot of ad hoc/role-playing/story awards so 30-60% of the XP needed level comes from those. Many of the people I've played with in the past (and myself, when I get to play) see leveling as a goal/reward in-and-of-itself so I like to let my players know how much progress they've made.

The one-orc-from-leveling scenario is one I specifically avoid with ad hoc awards. I'd rather just give everyone an extra 150-200 XP than have one or two characters running around looking for one last orc to kill before they level. That kind of thing may be fine in WoW or other "RPGs" where monsters respawn but I feel it's innappropriate for games with a semi-realistic story/environment.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_warlock View Post
    The one-orc-from-leveling scenario is one I specifically avoid with ad hoc awards.
    To be fair to my DM, that was him just being funny. I'd completed my miniquest, and I ask:
    "So, do I get a level?"
    "Nope, you still need one more orc."
    "Are you bloody serious?"
    "Yep. Looks like you only killed X many last game. You're still short one."
    "Ugh...::walks back to the woods, finds a lone orc, Fireballs said orc:: HAPPY NOW?!"

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

My DM just let us level whenever he was too busy to do the session. Since we were unoptimized amateurs, that worked very well for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Also: 2e had you gain XP for making magical items. The party cleric generally shut himself in the temple for a few months until he equipped the whole party with magic gear... and got a few levels for himself. That wasn't too great of a system, either.
    Then again, though 2e was very vague on just what you needed to do to make an item. It could be anything from "Throw X gold pieces into the forge, spend a week, and you've got your +5 intelligent vorpal dancing sword of dragonslaying" to "Bottle a droplet of sunshine and mix with the laugh of a rose, ferment it for a month under the rays of the full moon, and you've got a potion of minor healing".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

As a DM I always use exact XP rewards. Since the systems I use (D&D and AD&D) balance classes by requiring different amounts of experience to level it's important.

There are only three ways to get experience in my games. Defeating monsters, using magic items, and spending earned treasure. In the early days I went BTB and just rewarded XP for treasure earned and monsters killed but an article in The Dragon (D&D Option: Orgies, Inc. by Jon Pickens in Vol. 2 #4) came in handy when the adventurers became richer than kings. I adapted the article to my needs very quickly after I read it.

Players must spend any loot they find to earn XP for it. It can be tithed or sacrificed (for the pious), used for research (for the bookish), given to your community (for the clannish), or spent on ale and whores (for the rest of us). It can also be spent on buying strongholds and other 'investments' but those are not near as much fun. The fact is though that it must be spent and not kept locked away easy to access to be worth experience.

edit: grammar
    Last edited by Tsadrin; 2008-06-29 at 12:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

I do XP by the book and hand out a lot of ad-hoc XP. However, there was one time where I just told the players to level up once because they hadn't progressed as quickly as I thought they would, and it was too much trouble to downgrade all the encounters I'd prepared.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I set XP to the party, rather than the individual players.
    I can't stand players being at different points. However, I've discovered that XP progression does 'add' something to the game - it gives the more mechanical focused an increasing goal in addition to story progression, providing a safety net for interest when the story just didn't captivate them enough from the last session.

I keep a small webpage up that gives name and location information that the party would know, the current XP, and so on.

For crafting (and spell XP) I use:
    http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.ph...erience_Buffer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

In our group the DM calculates XP after each session. If you start a session just 50 XP from next level, you will not level up before the end of the session.

Since we only meet for DND when everyone has time, nobody will fall behind because he didnīt get XP.
    However, when we were 3rd level, our group lost some players and we added new ones. They started with the minimum XP for level 3 while the two remaining players from the original group had a few more. This means that sometimes we level one session earlier than the others wich is not really a problem. (And we had bit more money, because the other remaining player still carried the loot and three guys disappeared without taking their share of it.)

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

I've played in campaigns which do both.

In our D&D 3.5 World's Largest Dungeon campaign, the DM sends out XP totals by email after each session. It's our job to keep track and tell if we've gained a level.

In our Star Wars Saga campaign, the DM just says, "Okay, you've all gone up a level" every three sessions or so.

On the whole, I prefer the first method, as it's less arbitrary. The problem with the second method is that the characters don't learn or advance until the DM wants them to, which can be frustrating, and we never really know how close we are to getting better at things.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

I agree with Saph on this one. I've played both those games as well, and I'd rather have the objective points-based system than a GM telling me "well your roleplaying was this good, so you'll get so and so much XP."

I want to be awarded, not judged, no matter how just the DM is.

As for magic items/spells, I just ignore those XP costs entirely. Of course there can be other repercussions... I believe it was 2nd edition in which you would anger a powerful outsider if you ever intentionally harmed or killed your familiar, just because you wanted a different one. In 3.5 you pay an XP cost whenever your familiar dies... Which to me, is a much better way of dealing with it than what's being done now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

i prefer being awarded too - it encourages the game. The players who make the effort usually make it more exciting, and should be rewarded as such
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I use xp, but I only give out half the recommended xp for defeating monsters. Then I give out story and rping xp. This encourages my players to have a backstory to base their rping off of which I like.

For magic items I use xp cost and also require special materials which can require a seperate quest in some cases. I've just always felt that magic items should be something special, not just something you buy at the store.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    To be fair to my DM, that was him just being funny. I'd completed my miniquest, and I ask:
    "So, do I get a level?"
    "Nope, you still need one more orc."
    "Are you bloody serious?"
    "Yep. Looks like you only killed X many last game. You're still short one."
    "Ugh...::walks back to the woods, finds a lone orc, Fireballs said orc:: HAPPY NOW?!"
    That is hysterical...

As for me, I sort of follow the encounter tables, but I also give small awards for creative playing (player: So I jump from the stairs, try to grapple the flying gargoyle, then make sure he hits the ground first, kind of like Jason Bourne did...DM: You do realize gargoyles are made of stone? Player: Oh sh...) and puzzle solving, solving conflicts through means other than combat, etc. And I also give story awards (finding the long lost secret vault, killing the zhentarim wizard, etc.).

29. - Top - End - #29

The XP system has one major advantage: With XP, if you're behind a level for whatever reason (having died is a popular one in some of the games I play in) you get more XP for a given challenge than the higher-level characters around you, so you'll eventually catch up. If the DM just says "Everybody gain a level" every so often and you're behind, you will perpetually be behind.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

This encourages my players to have a backstory to base their rping off of which I like.
    Is it really important what the DM likes? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the characters with vastly worked out background. In fact, I once wrote a background for a character of mine which came up to about 25 pages. Other players didn't use that many words, but the point was we had fun together.

If players don't care much for expanding on their character's background, then that's their choice and I'm not giong to punish them for it by giving others more xp or some such silliness, simply because they fit my playing style better.

I've just always felt that magic items should be something special, not just something you buy at the store.
    That largely depends on the number of such stores you place in your campaign . You still need to be a spellcaster to make magic items, so if there's not that many spellcasters around (or they simply don't WANT to toil away on magical trinkets for the rest of their lives), then there's not going to be many magic shops either.