New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default [3.5] Genius Loci Enslave DC

Page 190 of Epic Level Handbook gives the DC for the genius loci's enslave ability as 53. Does anyone know how the authors got a DC of 53? Page 73 says to treat an epic spell (like enslave) as a 10th-level spell where spell level matters. The genius loci has a Charisma score of 26, giving it a modifier of +8. So as I calculate the DC, it would be 10 + 10 + 8 = 28. Even if the DC ran off the genius loci's Constitution score (which doesn't makes sense to me for a mind-affecting ability) of 50, which gives a +20 modifier, I still calculate a DC of 10 + 10 + 20 = 40. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: [3.5] Genius Loci Enslave DC

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick View Post
    Page 190 of Epic Level Handbook gives the DC for the genius loci's enslave ability as 53. Does anyone know how the authors got a DC of 53? Page 73 says to treat an epic spell (like enslave) as a 10th-level spell where spell level matters. The genius loci has a Charisma score of 26, giving it a modifier of +8. So as I calculate the DC, it would be 10 + 10 + 8 = 28. Even if the DC ran off the genius loci's Constitution score (which doesn't makes sense to me for a mind-affecting ability) of 50, which gives a +20 modifier, I still calculate a DC of 10 + 10 + 20 = 40. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    I'm having one of those "Wow! I coulda had a V8!" moments. Silly me. I was treating it as a a spell instead of a creature's special ability. Creatures get to add half their hit dice to the DC of their special abilities.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.