New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [4e] Shield Bash???

Since there are no other stats for this, I am assuming that a shield bash would count as an improvised weapon. Would this be reasonable?

Speaking of improvised weapons:

Assuming a melee character was somehow separated from his weapon, would a shield used as an improvised weapon work with powers that require a melee weapon?

Does attacking with an improvised weapon provoke AoO's? (Couldn't find this anywhere, so wanted to be sure.)

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: [4e] Shield Bash???

As far as I can see, unarmed attacks and improvised weapons do not provoke AoO's, whether they be bottles, chairs, or halflings.

And yes, I'd count a shield as an improvised weapon to calculate damage with.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Assuming a melee character was somehow separated from his weapon, would a shield used as an improvised weapon work with powers that require a melee weapon?
    If you use it as a melee weapon it would work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Now what about powers that require you to be holding two weapons (like some ranger powers...they require you to be holding two weapons, but don't require an off-hand attack)? Would it be possible to consider a sword and shield as two melee weapons?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I would say that in any given round the player must choose between using it offensively (as an improvised weapon) or defensively (as a shield) and it would count as such until he specified otherwise (and of course he must use it as such for the entire round, no switching between the two mid-round to gain the benefit of both).
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    I would say that in any given round the player must choose between using it offensively (as an improvised weapon) or defensively (as a shield) and it would count as such until he specified otherwise (and of course he must use it as such for the entire round, no switching between the two mid-round to gain the benefit of both).
    That would be the exact ruling I would make, and I would allow a heroic tier feat that allows you to do both, and another that lets you become proficient with it (+2 bonus). That would allow you to spend two feats to TWF with a sword and shield.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

7. - Top - End - #7

In addition to this, I think that there's a power that involves shield bashing. Either a paladin or warlord one. I don't have my book nearby so I can't look it up, but I'm almost certain it exists.
    Spoiler
    Show

My first avatar.

Mad King Avatar Courtesy of Abardam. Thanks man!

Please do click this link: Wonderful homebrew, articles and other resources.

The Forge

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by kirbsys View Post
    In addition to this, I think that there's a power that involves shield bashing. Either a paladin or warlord one. I don't have my book nearby so I can't look it up, but I'm almost certain it exists.
    Furious Smash the Warlord power suggests that a shield bash is utilized in the flavor text, that or a weapon or a shoulder but it's an idea...
    Member of a fanclub.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, a fighters Tide of Iron at-will power most likely involves a shield bash, on account of the fact that it requires a shield to use, though it's probably more of a shield push.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion