New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Question [3.5e] What's the best way to gain immortality?

I always play the parties caster and I seem to always end up trying to become immortal. This has always involved becoming a lich. Are there other ways for a caster to become immortal?

On an unrelated topic, does anyone know if a Worm That Walks are immortal?
    Last edited by _Zoot_; 2008-07-07 at 09:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] What's the best way to gain immortality?

The easiest way is casting Reincarnate on yourself every couple decades, although this has the disadvantage of randomizing your race.

In earlier editions, Magic Jar used to be permanent; that would also work.

Even easier is being a druid; upon reaching level 15, you're immune to aging. And some races are immortal by default.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Play a warforged or Killoren (Eberron and Masters of the Wild, respectively). Neither of them has a maximum age, they both live forever. Built in 1st level immortality.

*edit* Ninja'd!
    Last edited by Ealstan; 2008-07-07 at 09:10 AM.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan best race in the game no dieing from old age and you can never be starved to death. So have fun with living forever
    Check out my horrible homebrews

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vow of Poverty Killorens must have it good, they don't need to eat, sleep, breathe, or age.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Even easier is being a druid; upon reaching level 15, you're immune to aging. And some races are immortal by default.
    Druids become immune to aging penalties, but they still die of old age.

And while you can try starting as a race with no maximum age, do note that the tempting-looking candidate, elans, are not a "change into one halfway through your career" option. You start out as a whole new person when you make the change.

If you were happy enough with lichdom and just want a change, try necropolitan, from Libris Morts. +0 LA become-an-undead template with a simple ritual costing some gold and XP and available at low levels.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-07-07 at 10:21 AM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

the Green Star Adept is reputed as the worst option, powerwise.

Done right, psions can skip very long periods without being truly immortal.

Dragons have the option of becoming a Dragon Ascendant.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Polymorph any object can make you into any number of different critters that age slowly or not at all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Doing a little multiclassing and (with a nod from your DM) bouncing into Jade Phoenix Mage gives you a sort of immortality. Probably not the kind you're looking for, though.
    Last edited by Lapak; 2008-07-07 at 10:34 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

To my knowledge, there are only a few choices here.

1. choose a naturally immortal race - warforged (or other construct), elan, undead
    2. get a template - lich, or other undead
    3. choose a specific prestige class - Dragon Ascendant ("True" dragons only from Draconomicon), Cloud Anchorite (from Frostburn), Green Star Adept

These are the only options that I know of, but there might be others. Of these, the one that has the least restricitons on it is Cloud Anchorite, but the problem with it is that you need 10 levels in the prestige class to get immortality and you don't get many other good abilities unless you are playing in mountainous terrain on a regular basis.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Wish spell?
    Big thanks to Kwarkpudding for my Gladiator Tam Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars: Xssar, Mechafox, Andre_Fairechilde, Moi

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Vavaara View Post
    A Wish spell?
    Muahahahahahahahaha.

Phrase your wish very carefully.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Be Good and worship a deity who will grant you an eternal afterlife.

It's kinda like immortality anyway

Alternatively, come back as a ghost - who will be vengeful and retain all your spellcasting powers.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    Muahahahahahahahaha.

Phrase your wish very carefully.
    Check it out. The process I used (successfully) one game requires four very specific wishes, referencing specific things in order to minimize warping. And a major ritual from the Savage Species Guide. Before everyone jumps on me for being a raging powergamer, the idea of the game this character was made for was just a fun dungeon crawl where we built the most powerful character we could and took on things in the epic level handbook. I think someone else, while not technically immortal, was immune to everything. We fought a god at the end and won.

Wish 1: The ritual. Technically, someone else casts it. You use it to turn yourself into a half-celestial Phoelarch (MM1 and MM3). Be sure to find someone with a caster level high enough to actually pull this off with no chance of failure. If your DM is intelligent, he'll just say that there aren't any wizards with that level of power available anywhere, at which point all you have to do is reach epic levels to gain immortality, since you can make yourself immune to trivial things like age and non-epic damage and magic, and there are no epic wizards because the DM just said so.

Wish 2: Wish that your Phoelarch's ability to be reborn as a Phoera would instead cause you to be reborn as another Phoelarch.

Wish 3: Wish that your Phoelarch's ability to be reborn as a Phoelarch would instead cause you to be reborn as your Phoelarch, in the precise status that he was in just prior to death, in the location that he died.

Wish 4: Wish that your Phoelarch's ability to be reborn as your Phoelarch in the place you died exactly as you were X time before you died was triggered instantaneously, rather than 24 hours or a week or whatever it is later.

So you just burned some serious gold/xp, but now every time you die, you come back to life right away, and all you've lost is 5 minutes worth of memory. As a side benefit, you're this giant firey angel thing with lots of cool features. This was a character that could (and did) spam Phoenix Fire and Armageddon in combat without side effects. It was awesome.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-07-07 at 11:43 AM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The easiest way is casting Reincarnate on yourself every couple decades, although this has the disadvantage of randomizing your race.
    That's a feature, not a bug. Personally, I'm just upset that they took animals off the table, because that was just friggin' cool.

Repeated Reincarnation has another strong point going for it: The body you come back in is young adult, but your mind remains unchanged, so you can keep on accumulating aging bonuses to Int, Wis, and Cha, without accumulating penalties to Str, Dex, and Con (even if you're not a druid yourself, they'll never be any worse than -6).
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Wish 3: Wish that your Phoelarch's ability to be reborn as a Phoelarch would instead cause you to be reborn as your Phoelarch, in the precise status that he was in just prior to death, in the location that he died.
    Whoa, there... So every time you come back, you're mortally wounded with some sword through your gut, or in the bottom of a deathtrap with spikes that haven't quite ground you to paste yet, or deep in a pit of acid with most of your skin burned off, or...

Remember, you asked for it. I'm not even trying to pervert that wish; that's just the most straightforward interpretation.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #18

Research an epic spell that will let you acquire elemental template (the same thing as Elemental Savant)...
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, Faerun has an Elemental Archon prestige class for element-focussed clerics that does that. It doesn't explicitly say anything about aging.

But, if the base rule for Elementals is no aging, it would work.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Since you mentioned wanting to be an immortal caster, you could take some levels in Bio-Mage. The homebrew thread (by yours truly) has a method for achieving effective immortality, although you need to be either epic or nearly so.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Going back to my wish idea:

1. Wish to die of old age
    2. Wish to never age
    3. Redundancy of wishes causes minor planar disturbance
    4. ????
    5. IMMORTALITY!!!
    Big thanks to Kwarkpudding for my Gladiator Tam Avatar!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars: Xssar, Mechafox, Andre_Fairechilde, Moi

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vavaara View Post
    Going back to my wish idea:

1. Wish to die of old age
    2. Wish to never age
    You'll leave one perfectly preserved corpse.

If the OP isn't unaverse to loseing two caster levels over the course of ten I quite like Elemental Savant, the templates got a lot going for it, you eventually pick up an elemental immunity and a new movement type and it's relitively easy to get into.

Failing that you could try working out a new spell to make you immortal, that sounds like a fun plothook to me. Get your DM to come up with a reagents list, put together a reasonable template and go on the road to put together your jury-rigged MacGuffin.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    If you were happy enough with lichdom and just want a change, try necropolitan, from Libris Morts. +0 LA become-an-undead template with a simple ritual costing some gold and XP and available at low levels.
    Seconded.

Fantastic choice.

Basically, you have to do a simple ritual. Basic stuff.

You have to be crucified, and a weird chant has to be repeated. Call upon the evil god(s) of death, and you're undead.

Good stuff.

Exactly what you want.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Whoa, there... So every time you come back, you're mortally wounded with some sword through your gut, or in the bottom of a deathtrap with spikes that haven't quite ground you to paste yet, or deep in a pit of acid with most of your skin burned off, or...

Remember, you asked for it. I'm not even trying to pervert that wish; that's just the most straightforward interpretation.
    No. Five minutes, man. At that level (25 gestalt) combats sometimes don't last five microseconds, let alone fifty rounds. I didn't put the wish list here that I presented to the DM, which was several pages long and written in something like legalese to avoid this kind of thing. Really, this character was about par compared to a couple of the others in the party, so the DM didn't bother with Chaos Theory, temporal displacement, infinite timelines and a bunch of other stuff you can use to warp even a perfectly worded wish.

Remember that on top of this little chain, he was a Level 25 gestalt.

Sorcerer/IIOTSFV/Archmage
    Paladin/Kensai/Anointed Knight

And maybe some other stuff. Finding a way to hurt him through his gear and epic spell defenses was a challenge in and of itself - this was more like icing on the cake. I posted it here because, frankly, I thought it was kind of cool, forgetting for a moment that when you use the word "wish" on these boards people practically pee themselves trying to find a way to pervert it. Done right, it really is a pretty good wish chain. I just summarized a little here.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    So you just burned some serious gold/xp, but now every time you die, you come back to life right away, and all you've lost is 5 minutes worth of memory. As a side benefit, you're this giant firey angel thing with lots of cool features. This was a character that could (and did) spam Phoenix Fire and Armageddon in combat without side effects. It was awesome.
    This would tempt me, as a DM, mightly to chain your PC to a rock and have their liver pecked out daily.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    This would tempt me, as a DM, mightly to chain your PC to a rock and have their liver pecked out daily.
    Heh, I'll say it again: He was not the most powerful guy in the party - just the flashiest.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Making it hard to become immortal (in the sense of just not dying of old age) is silly anyway. No power-gaming option I've ever heard of relied on being immortal, nor have I ever heard of a game in which dying of old age was a real threat.

If a player wants to play a character who has immortality in that sense as a goal, it's more an interesting story pursuit than anything like a power-gaming one. Why not encourage it and develop a story around his or her pursuit of that goal?

Noooos, teh DM must be againts teh players must KILL teh players die players die!!1!

Geesh.
    Last edited by Kiara LeSabre; 2008-07-07 at 05:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Bait View Post
    So that the Hulking Hurler/Frenzied Berzerker can come by later and break the chains?
    I think not.

29. - Top - End - #29

In terms of combat, my first thought is to get a high DR with your weakness being something in short supply, and then go around making sure that the item in question is very, very scarce.
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

30. - Top - End - #30

Wow... I didn't think that this many people would post... thanks

An Elemental Savnt looks fun, and it would be a nice change from being undead... on the other hand Necropolitans seem to be a good way to have the feel of a lich with out the LA...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.