New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Regarding Fiends...

In 2001, Green Ronin Published produced a book called the Book of Fiends. This book was broken into two volumes. The first volume described the nine layers of hell, their denizens, leaders, and politics. The second volume likewise explain the workings of the many layers of the abyss.

A number of years later, in 2006, Wizards of the Coast published two books with similar qualities. The Fiendish Codex 1: Hordes of the Abyss, and The Fiendish Codex 2: Tyrants of the Nine Hells. Somewhat similar, yes? *coughs*

Ultimately, however, one only needs one source describing these places. Having both sets of material would be redundant.

And so I must beg the GitP Forumites for their wisdom in the matter. Officiality aside, which of these sets is the superior publication? Which provides a better and more consistent description of what the Abyss and Hells ought to be? I look primarily for a description of the major figures in both planes as well as the politics of each. Suggestions of alternate sources are also most welcome!

I've also been delving into older material. In particular, the numerous Dungeon and Dragon articles that deal with the Hells and the Abyss. Recent material does seem contradict older material in several respects, but I intend to mash it all together.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Regarding Fiends...

Findish Codexes with the BoVD should be all you need, that and your imagination. Hell and the abyss should be scary places, even to evil creatures. Yes people live there, but they're probably inexplicably evil.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."