New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Newbie Question: a cleric changing patron deity

self explanatory title

I'm curious on what it takes to change your patron deity, what are the existing rules and what's inside the possibilities, what would imply a change from St. Cuthbert to Hoar for example and what would have to be done to change from... Mask to... Torm to give another example.

just that, any ideas
    Aoki Neko avatar by Quinsar (thanks a lot)
    Eksar avatar by Shades of gray(thanks a lot)
    Full-plated Eksar by Qwernt (thanks a lot as well)
    Thanks to Meynolds for additional avatar
    Thanks to all those who nominated me for Leeroy ITP
    and for the votes =P

*ding* level 20!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Newbie Question: a cleric changing patron deity

I believe I read that you would have to renounce your allegiance to the previous deity (or not, depending on the two gods involved) and pledge your allegiance to the new one, dedicating yourself entirely over to the new one. Many religions commonly require that you willingly receive a geas/quest spell to do some important quest to prove yourself to the new god.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

deffo geas - a new god will want you to proove your alliegence
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with FlWiPig and xPANCAKEx. Making a sacrifice to the new diety may help as well. Why are you thinking about swapping?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I was just curious, not that I'm really doing it inside the campaing...thought my deity doesn't answer some scrying/divination spells... he's not talking to me...
    Aoki Neko avatar by Quinsar (thanks a lot)
    Eksar avatar by Shades of gray(thanks a lot)
    Full-plated Eksar by Qwernt (thanks a lot as well)
    Thanks to Meynolds for additional avatar
    Thanks to all those who nominated me for Leeroy ITP
    and for the votes =P

*ding* level 20!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

In contrast to those above I would say the first step would be an atonement cast by an existing devotee of the new god, and likely then a geas/quest included in the terms of the atonement.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eksar Lindisfar View Post
    self explanatory title

I'm curious on what it takes to change your patron deity, what are the existing rules and what's inside the possibilities, what would imply a change from St. Cuthbert to Hoar for example and what would have to be done to change from... Mask to... Torm to give another example.

just that, any ideas
    Well, for one thing I'd probably doc you 20 to 50% of your xp based on the degree of alignment change (no alignment change being 20%), minimum 100K. If that would take you below 1st level, then you aren't accepted.

You don't think your cleric is just going to walk into the same level of another church, do you?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

That is an interresting point, nagora. I was thinking about an Exp. cost, but I never thought of having that much Exp. docked (I tend to see level as being a measure of personal power rather then being concerned with someones position in a heirarchy).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

im with TF there - you may be a powerful individual, but within the new church you might still be treated as an outsider. It will take you a LONG time to gain access to any benifits of being in the church, such as church support etc
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

How would you incorpiorate that into the game, though? If Eksar's character doesn't have any support from other St. Cuthbart followers, it wouldn't make any difference to the campaign (I agree with what you said about needing to earn status in the new churvh, though).
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    You don't think your cleric is just going to walk into the same level of another church, do you?
    That's... rather an abuse of the term "level".

Or would you think it reasonable that a cleric who is demoted within his church should actually lose levels?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Well, for one thing I'd probably doc you 20 to 50% of your xp based on the degree of alignment change (no alignment change being 20%), minimum 100K. If that would take you below 1st level, then you aren't accepted.

And how does making you an outsider take away your health(HP) and fighting prowess(BaB)?

Clerics might channel divine power, but some of it is still their own, I can understand that you might want to take away some XP because of the heavy transfer from one god to another, but these numbers are insane and will make it impossible to actually switch gods in lots of campaigns because you'll be to far behind. Really with your rules you might as well just say it isn't allowed to switch from one god to another.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    That's... rather an abuse of the term "level".

Or would you think it reasonable that a cleric who is demoted within his church should actually lose levels?
    I think it has more to do with an idea that a cleric's "level" is how close to their God they are. Changing gods, therefore, will result in a loss of power. In 1e and 2e, these sort of massive XP penalties were actually a common way to penalize players for "poor" roleplaying, or to add weight to extreme changes. Turns out these aren't really fun in implementation, so 3e dropped it.

This is, of course, but one way of looking at what "level" means for any character, and clerics in particular - your mileage may vary, depending on your use of fluff.

Personally, though, I would require a large quest of some sort, and if the PC is of a high enough level that they would be generally known, this sort of oathbreaking will probably cause some chatter. Depending on the faith you're leaving, this may include assassination attempts to kill the apostate.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I would say, btb, an Atonement spell... perhaps 2. The spell allows someone who has lost clerical powers to regain them by getting in good with their new deity. The second would be the first cast, if necessary, using the Redemption/Temptation function of the spell.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I think it has more to do with an idea that a cleric's "level" is how close to their God they are. Changing gods, therefore, will result in a loss of power.
    Yes... but as Fenix points out, many things tied to level have little to do with piety. I would say rather that you have to complete a quest before the new deity will grant you spells or domain powers, but you retain your level and things like HP, BAB, saves etc. You're cut off from the power granted directly by your deity, but your own ability is not affected.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd make the cleric lose all spell-casting capabilities until s/he proves his/her loyalty to the new god beyond doubt: if high level performing some herculean task, if low than making a choice that would actually harm the character but be in line with the dogma of the new god with the whole task being subtly engineered by that deity.

A fallen cleric should be treated much like a fallen paladin.

17. - Top - End - #17

Solars with ranks in Profession(Lawyer) and legal documents.

...What?
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I would think it would depend on the reason for switching deities. Like say an evil deity seduced you - he might give you your power straight-off to get you away from the light side.

Or what if your god did something horrible? Maybe another would take pity on you and take you in immediately.

Or what if you're changing from one patron in a pantheon to another?
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix_of_Doom View Post
    And how does making you an outsider take away your health(HP) and fighting prowess(BaB)?
    Who grants a cleric the luck element of the hp? Who grants them their spells? Fighting skill suffers from the mental and emotional conflict of such a major change in the character's life/belief system. You're literally questioning everything that you believed.

Clerics might channel divine power, but some of it is still their own, I can understand that you might want to take away some XP because of the heavy transfer from one god to another, but these numbers are insane and will make it impossible to actually switch gods in lots of campaigns
    In a world where the gods are real, that seems reasonable and was the intent. Count yourself lucky they don't just lightning bolt you for even trying.

If you don't want to take the responsibility, don't become a cleric. Gods are quite humourless on the topic of traitors.

PS: changing diety within a pantheon might be much easier.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Eksar Lindisfar View Post
    I was just curious, not that I'm really doing it inside the campaing...thought my deity doesn't answer some scrying/divination spells... he's not talking to me...
    Forget spells and XP, this is the kinda thing that's best handled by role playing. As a DM I'd have the cleric's brothers-in-faith-to-be require that he/she complete some kind of quest before being accepted into the new faith. If the cleric's new faith is unorganized (like Farlanhgin's), I'd have the deity require the quest.

TS

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Forget spells and XP, this is the kinda thing that's best handled by role playing.
    The spell and xp penalties are the result of role-playing the deity.

22. - Top - End - #22

Who grants a cleric the luck element of the hp? Who grants them their spells? Fighting skill suffers from the mental and emotional conflict of such a major change in the character's life/belief system. You're literally questioning everything that you believed.
    I will note that a fallen Paladin retains his BAB, HP, etc. He loses class features such as spells, Divine Grace, and mount, which proceed directly from his devotion to good / the blessing of his deity.

If you want to impose XP penalties as punishment to discourage players from changing deities, then I disagree with you that it's a good idea but it's a matter of play style. But I can't agree that it makes more sense in-game than for the character to lose directly-granted gifts from his god (such as spells) until an atonement or quest is completed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

But I can't agree that it makes more sense in-game than for the character to lose directly-granted gifts from his god (such as spells) until an atonement or quest is completed.
    I'm sorry, but I can't work out what you're saying in this sentence.

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm sorry, but I can't work out what you're saying in this sentence.
    Looking at things from an in-game perspective, I can't agree that it makes more sense for an apostate cleric to lose actual XP, which means competence with a weapon, training in skills, possibly learned abilities (i.e. feats), and so on, than to simply lose those abilities which are granted directly and explicitly by a god, namely spells and domain abilities, especially given that the latter is what applies in the case of a fallen paladin.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Looking at things from an in-game perspective, I can't agree that it makes more sense for an apostate cleric to lose actual XP, which means competence with a weapon, training in skills, possibly learned abilities (i.e. feats), and so on, than to simply lose those abilities which are granted directly and explicitly by a god, namely spells and domain abilities, especially given that the latter is what applies in the case of a fallen paladin.
    Okay, I see. Well, in-game, I would point out that a fallen paladin is not quite as drastic as a cleric switching: a fallen paladin has broken his/her oaths etc. The cleric is doing that AND asking someone else to accept new oaths and take their word for it that this time they really, really mean them, honest.

I would be very sceptical as a deity. Thus, I would start the cleric on a lower level as regards gaining my special blessings (ie, spells per day), and I might not refill their hit points up to the level that the previous diety granted them and so on. Basically, the game-mechanic that best suits all this is xp-loss. I have no problem with losing attacking strength and so forth as a side effect of the mental and emotional trauma of all this either.

Again, all this assumes a reasonably drastic change. If alignment AND pantheon have not changed I'd knock a level off and leave it at that, probably. Depends on the circumstances.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Docking levels is far too much of a penalty. One has to consider the in-game effects mechanically as well as storywise. Docking someone levels puts them at a distinct disadvantage to the rest of the party, to the point that if you're applying the ludicrous "-100k minimum" amount mentioned earlier in a high level game, you're simply ending that person's involvement in the game. They won't survive the high level encounters that are coming their way, and the ultimate goal of the game is to create an experience the entire group can enjoy, not to penalize someone for choosing a potentially difficult rp path.

I'd go with the idea of not granting NEW levels, domain spells, or several other benefits until the person in question performs an atonement to their previous deity (if the two deities are aligned), and a quest of a significant nature (probably geared a level or so higher than their probationary level) for their new deity. If the pantheons are opposed, the new god probably won't care what terms you left the old one on, and just more about your personal loyalty.
    "The only thing between us and victory is that Ogre Mage!"

"So...defeat?"

"...shut up."

Avatar by the illustrious and swift Djinn_in_Tonic.

Kurik

27. - Top - End - #27

Okay, I see. Well, in-game, I would point out that a fallen paladin is not quite as drastic as a cleric switching: a fallen paladin has broken his/her oaths etc. The cleric is doing that AND asking someone else to accept new oaths and take their word for it that this time they really, really mean them, honest.
    So you are saying that the extreme case of severing ties from a patron diety (falling, rejection, etc.) isn't as drastic as a cleric changing faith, but doing so in a more wholesome and peaceful way? And that while someone who has shunned his former patron's beliefs by falling retains his combat potential, which is derived from deific powers, while the switcher loses almost everything? Ahuh. Giving the punk his lollipop and telling the math geek to get back in the room and re-study multivariable calculus, much?
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nepphi View Post
    I'd go with the idea of not granting NEW levels, domain spells, or several other benefits until the person in question performs an atonement to their previous deity (if the two deities are aligned), and a quest of a significant nature (probably geared a level or so higher than their probationary level) for their new deity. If the pantheons are opposed, the new god probably won't care what terms you left the old one on, and just more about your personal loyalty.
    Which is highly questionable given that you've already walked away from a supposedly life-time (and beyond!) commitment to another deity.

Really, I think any effects that fall short of insta-kill are very generous in these sorts of cases.

In terms of the game effects, then you have a point about crippling the character, but the alternative is to treat the Gods as coats to put on and take off as required. If you, as DM, are role-playing the gods at all reasonably, I think you'll see that that is not going to be allowed by them. Each cleric knows things about the inner workings of the god's religions and has had a great deal of energy spent on granting spells and other benefits over the years.

When you approach a new deity you've already established that all that energy was wasted. Why should they believe that it won't be wasted this time? Are the gods so short of clerics that they can't afford to be fussy about damaged goods?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

What if the new deity is the God of Betrayal or Temptation? wouldn't he *reward* the cleric for sticking to his dogma while risking being striked by lightning? most of the advice here is far too specific. OP needs to provide more information about the deities involved so we can provide a proper answer.

Nagora: I'd simply send a celestial force of vengence after another until the character solves the issue or dies trying, and deny the Cleric spells until he proves himself to a new deity (some epic quest/plot arc)

Docking him EXP would make such a situation outright impossible, and that is simply a waste of an excellent roleplaying opportunity aswell as seeming unrealistic when compared to the same situation when it involves a Paladin (who I have always saw as devoted to his god as much as a cleric, given the fact he is supposed to be the god's dogma incarnated).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Paladin View Post
    What if the new deity is the God of Betrayal or Temptation? wouldn't he *reward* the cleric for sticking to his dogma while risking being striked by lightning?
    Nah, the god of betrayal would only promise the cleric a reward, s/he/it wouldn't actually grant them anything.

Docking him EXP would make such a situation outright impossible, and that is simply a waste of an excellent roleplaying opportunity aswell as seeming unrealistic when compared to the same situation when it involves a Paladin (who I have always saw as devoted to his god as much as a cleric, given the fact he is supposed to be the god's dogma incarnated).
    This might be a 1e/3e issue: I don't see any need for a connection between paladins and deities, in the sense that a paladin can be a paragon of lawful goodness etc. without any need for a religious basis to their powers. Most paladins will take religious vows, but it's not a core requirement in a D&D-style world, IMO.

Sending a spirit of vengence simply does not fulfil the basic requirement of a DM to play the NPCs (which include the gods) as if they were his/her own characters. What god would take a lapsed cleric seriously? Do a quest?! Get real: most clerics will have done quests and all sorts of services for their previous god, and in this case it specifically did not prove their faithfulness.

From the (in-character) point of view of the new deity: what is the rationale for giving a lapsed cleric equal footing with their other clerics who have never wavered in their devotion to the (new) god?

"So what if you've risen to 16th level worshipping god x? Well, I have 16th level clerics who got there worshipping ME! Take a hike, Jack!"

I don't think it makes much odds what the alignment or type of deity it is, the issue is the cleric's demonstrated untrustworthyness.