Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Watchtower--Aftermath

The Watchtower—Aftermath

if you were part of the watchtower campaign (on one of the three teams) to begin with, you're invited.
    Background Narration

Smoke still clings stubbornly to the upper reaches of the pocket plane, accented by the smell of charred flesh, a stench that sickens the stomach and darkens the soul. Somewhere within the bowels of the blasted tower, the miserable cries of Scree are heard as he mourns his fallen allies and dear friends.

Though exhausted, despairing, and more than a little confused, you can still see the dreadful images in your head, images of carnage and malevolence. You can still see the demonic forms as they tore through the ranks of watchmen, slaughtering and devouring your former associates.

With heavy hearts, there is little to be done now but regroup and rebuild, to try to heal those that can be saved, and to prepare for whatever further horrors await. Desperately, you pick your way among the dead and wounded, trying to locate the source of the moaning, sobbing, and gurgling breaths—trying to ignore the memories of fierce combat.

Underground Railgun
    Spoiler
    Show
    The battle had been in full swing; hobgoblin warriors were swiftly reacting to your assault, running through complex counter formations with disciplined ease. These were seasoned, determined troops that had trained for hundreds, maybe thousands of hours within these tunnels and were not about to let a team of strangers take them down without a fight.

The alarm had apparently been sounded, because more squads were pouring in, along with their mind flayer squad leaders. Xess was already down, sticky ichor quickly draining from his shattered body. Aukan was doggedly taking hit after hit, even his great strength ebbing as the enemy coordinated multiple, lethal strikes. Feldas had renewed his assault on the illithids, knowing that if they could not be neutralized immediately, they were doomed. Astrum hastily sought the goliath’s side, and together, they made their way through the melee, the larger warrior scooping the broken Xessalis up in his shield arm. The dire lion was cornered at the far end of the tunnel, and its frenzying roars told its master that it would soon press to the overwhelming tactics of the hobgoblins.

Finding a narrow side tunnel, Astrum and Aukan slipped inside, limiting the effectiveness of the enemy’s numbers. They knew that they could hold out there for a bit longer, but were unsure as to how long.

“This is not going like I’d imagined.” Aukan bellowed as he clove a hobgoblin from neck to hip.

Astrum did not have the opportunity to answer, too busy as he was trying to keep the lance of another attacker from his guts. Instead, he yelled as loud as he could, “Feldas! Get in here!”

But the press of attackers was too great, and both comrades knew that it would take a miracle for their stealthy friend to make it to their side. Astrum did not even want to think about the looming fate of his feline friend. There was at least the satisfaction that the ion would rend and shred many foes before it was slain, but that did little to ease their situation, or the sense of grief that was already settling in.

The End is ‘Neer
    Spoiler
    Show
    Merco looked bout wildly, wondering where the orcish warlord had disappeared to. It had disappeared so completely from the scene that he knew it to be more than a mere trick of invisibility. Still, the paladin searched, unwilling to simply lose the trail.

The bone devil shrieked in fiendish rage as it flung itself on the wurmsteed. Both creatures slammed into the wall of ice with enough force to fracture its blue-gray surface. The wurmsteed’s roar rang through the morning air like a peal of thunder, and the two monsters were lost in a tumble of dust and limbs. Xerek wheeled through the sky, hands open in the gestures of another spell. But black-feathered arrows whistled past, and into him, cutting short his words and making him cling urgently to the mane of his phantasm mount.

Merco heard the crunch of gravel underfoot, and spun to find the warlord advancing on his right flank, great blade in one hand. “Let us see what this wretch can do without his magic.” And with that, Merco was back-peddling in a quick bid for ground, not at all surprised by the violent strength of the orc’s blows. Parry after parry, still fighting for tactical advantage, Merco dodged and wove, waiting for the orc to tire, to slip up even once.

Harar and Eden had already been lost from view, smoke, fog, and the clamor of battle restricting even Xerek’s aerial vantage. Merco knew that they had been positioned to intercept the orcs that came around the far side of the ice wall, though he was unsure as to how they fared.

Again the bone devil and the wurmsteed smashed into the frozen wall, this time near the spinning, grinding components of the gear wall. Ice creaked, and fissures ran along the opposite face, spidering along before the whole thing groaned and collapsed in a shower of tiny ice fragments and water droplets that caught the light of the rising sun through the roiling black and red smoke like an ethereal vision of blood.

The wurmsteed raised its head with a guttering roar, remnants of the bone devil in its fanged maw. Xerek rose higher, attempting to get out of range of the hidden archers below. Somewhere beyond the smoke, he knew. They could still see him outlined against the growing daylight, but their forms were hazy and unclear through the pollution of battle.

There. Another live one. Working together, you extract one of the few surviving stirges from the wreckage of the tower’s south wall. The little being groans in agony, chest crushed. Eyes flutter feebly open, and a faint smile stretches weakly on thin lips. Then he falls into the blackness of unconsciousness as the searing pain takes its toll.

A few yards away, someone shouts, “I found the dragon! Someone get over here and lift this statue!”

to be continued...
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-07-10 at 08:38 PM.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Directory

Relevant Threads/Pages:

Watchtower–Take III--recruiting thread

Watchtower--ooc thread

Watchtower--demiplane thread

Hells kitchen

The End is ‘Neer

Underground Railgun

Starring:

Douglas as Kelurn Sanora and Erfel Fencallad

Mhvaughan as Kyrill Medvedyev and Elric Krossos

Obscurejones as Dalbar and Kettenbar Sunson

Tacitus as Levi Dale and Hans

My houserules
    Spoiler
    Show

if you have questions, comments, complaints, or ideas, let me know. if you communicate with me, i'll have a better idea of what you need, or what i can do for you. be respectful, and i'll be respectful in turn, even if you are disagreeing with me. these houserules change all of the time. if i find another one i like, or you point me toward one, or we agree that i need to change one of them, i will. i will post it in-game (oocly), when i change a rule, so you all know to look here.

Ability Score and Feat Acquisition-- this will be similar to the pathfinder game, in that you gain feats based off of hit dice at 1st level, and then every odd level afterward (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc); ability score improvements will condense to once every 3 levels (same level that feat acquisition used to hold). so you guys get another ability score increase (had one at 4th and 8th levels; now have one at 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels).

Class Fixes-- same as feat fixes. let me know if you have others that need fixing, or different ideas than what is already here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Monk: full bab (or you can try my homebrewed celox; check sig)

Sorcerer: see Sorcerer's Lament below; it is complicated enough that it deserved its own houserule heading.

Damage Thresholds--
    the more a creature is injured, the harder it is for it to fight or act. injured creatures take penalties to attack and damage rolls, saving throws, ability checks, skill checks, and movement.

creatures that are immune to critical hits, immune to pain, or are under the effect of a barbarian rage or equivalent are immune to injury penalties.

uninjured–full hit points: no penalties

hurt–75% hit points: -1/-5 feet

wounded–50% hit points: -2/-10 feet

mauled–25% hit points: -4/-15 feet

these penalties disappear as soon as the damage is healed.

Diplomacy--i use a variant of the rich burlew rules, but i do throw in fairly substantial circumstance bonuses/penalties at times.

Favored Classes-- this is an idea swiped from the intrepid rathgar (a fellow playgrounder); the favored class feature of the different races is severely underplayed. from now on, in addition to the rules already in place, for each level taken in a race's favored class, a character gains an additional 2 hit points and 2 skill points. if it is the character's first level, they instead gain an additional 3 hit points and 3 skill points. for classes with a favored class listed as "any", the character's first class counts as their favored class (gestalt characters characters can pick one of their two first classes if they fall into this category).

Feat Fixes-- this will take a while to compile (cool, i... nevermind...), but i will attempt to post all of my houserule fixes here. if you have one that you want to bring up, it'll probably get put on the wall a lot sooner, so don't hesitate. here they are:
    Spoiler
    Show

dodge: so, dodge, epitome of a useless feat. now, you get +1/3 levels. max +6 at 18th (then you can take epic dodge). or, you can scrap that as a swift act in order to get half the dodge bonus to all foes (rounded down). can use swift act to change it back and forth. now it is a little better.

item creation feats: i am thinking of making one feat for psionic creation, one for divine magic creation, one for arcane magic, etc. haven't done it yet, but... if and when i get rid of all of those feats, characters that had them will be able to pick new feats as if they were retraining.

metamagic/psionics/etc feats: this is in the works, but i am probably going to scuttle the whole feat system. i am thinking of making it a function of spellcraft and its cousins. tell me if you have better ideas. if, and when--yeah, same as above.

sacred vow: gives +1 perfection bonus to will saves as well. waste of a feat otherwise; always made me feel icky when i had to take it to get vop, and a holy vow should make no one feel icky.

snatch/improved grab: both the feat and the ability have the exact same effect, and anything that snatch can do, that is not explicitly stated in improved grab, still works.

weapon finesse (and intuitive attack, etc): at +11 bab, these feats allow you to add the appropriate ability mod to damage instead of strength in melee combat

Gestalt Progression--i don't care if you have levels in the same class on both sides of the progression, so long as you don't have two of the same abilities at the same level...
    example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1--LA 1//wizard 1
    2--LA 2//wizard 2
    3--rogue 1//wizard 3
    4--rogue 2//wizard 4
    5--rogue 3//wizard 5
    6--wizard 6//sandshaper 1 (with spell progression dead level)
    7--rogue 4//sandshaper 2
    etc...

...and as long as you don't end up with more levels worth of ability progression than you normally would in one of the classes by that level.
    example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    you take two classes that would progress sneak attack, one that ends up with 9d6 at its final level, and the other that ends up with 5d6 at its final level, because there are some sneak attack dead levels. You can stack them so that the higher sneak attack class fills in the one with the dead levels, but you could not do it so that you have 9d6 sneak attack by 10th level, or 15d6 sneak attack by 20th.

clear enough?

Knowledge Uses-- consider yourselves empowered (remember that you can use them in situations other than combat, like diplomacy, tracking, etc):
    http://www.giantitp.com/articles/paB...ccDMQACfu.html

Linguistics-- similar to the knowledge uses ability above, this one is mostly on you guys to initiate. when speaking with others or reading someone else's writing, you can declare that you are making a special linguistics sense motive check or a speak language check in order to get any special information about the motives or origins behind the message. both of these rolls will receive a +1 competence bonus for each language that you know from that species' category (if you are reading the ancient writings of an illithid, and are fluent in three aberrant languages, you get a +3). these linguistics rolls can even be used when addressing a tongue with which you are not fluent, such as the ancient script on the dungeon walls, but you must know at least one language from that sub category. these rolls are part of the normal acts of listening, reading, or speaking, and in and of themselves do not constitute an action of any kind.

Lore-- any kind of knowledge check or lore check or anything else will be heavily ad hoc-ed as far as modifiers go, or just plain auto-succeed or auto-fail, if i think that there would be no reason for your character to have any info on the subject in question, or if i think that your character should not have gotten as far as he/she did without having known about the subject in question. tough stuff. i don't like the current, randomness of lore checks.

Magic Transparency--magic, psionics, and every other kind of 'magic' that is not specified as a (Su), (Sp), or (Ex) ability is going to be treated as spells for the purposes of dispelling, etc. i might have to post revisions to this in the future, but i'll warn ya.

Massive Damage--
    this replaces the current massive damage rules.

whenever a creature suffers more than 50% of its current hit points in one strike, they have suffered massive damage. they must make a successful fort save or be nauseated by the pain until at least 8 hit points are healed back. if the save succeeds, the creature is instead sickened for 1 round. the DC of the fort save equals the damage that was done to the creature. creatures that are immune to critical hits, immune to pain, or are under the effects of a barbarian rage or equivalent are immune to the effects of massive damage.

Natural Attacks-- a creature with natural attacks designates its primary weapon and if any others, its secondary weapons. primary weapons now gain iterive attacks as if they were wielded weapons. secondary weapons still get one extra, secondary attack each (except with various feats, etc), at a -5 penalty. note that under normal rules, creatures can already do this with a wielded weapon, but not with natural weapons for some reason...

reference thread:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107949

Polymorph Subschool-- using rich burlew's rules on giantitp.

Pure Devotion-- gain a +4 (only +3 in gestalt games) unnamed bonus to all saves. this is a free feat! there is a catch though. in order to qualify for this feat, you have to take 20 levels of a base class by 20th level. so, no LA adjusts, no prc's, no cherrypicking base classes like you're stealing cash from your passed-out-drunk roommate's wallet. pure 20/20 goodness. i used to not allow gestalt characters to qualify for this either, but what the hell. you only live once. however, in gestalt, you can only qualify for it once, even if you have two progressions that reach 20 levels by level 20.

RP Award--(idea stolen from count alucard) after every campaign, or whenever i decide to dole out xp, i will give a bonus award to the best roleplayers among the group. There will be two such awards, the players' choice and the dm's choice awards.

players' choice will be decided by popular vote (among you guys; i will not vote), though it cannot be the same character more than one time in a row.

dm's award will obviously be chosen by me, though the same character cannot be chosen more than one time in a row, and the same character will not be chosen for both players' and dm's awards.

the same player can have different characters simultaneously awarded though.

awarded players can choose between the following (this list will be updated):

+30% xp toward next level gain (remember that if you have +30% and then gain an arbitrary level gain as a result of chapter awards or something, you keep that +30% until it adds up to +100% and you gain another level)

a bonus feat for which they qualify

8 extra skill points and a +2 master bonus to any one skill (master bonuses does not stack with each other, but they count as skill ranks for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prcs, etc).

Reflex Saves-- whenever you are forced to roll a reflex save, for whatever reason, if you wish, and are successful with the save, you can also attempt a Balance check against half of the initial save's DC. If successful, as a free action, you can move 5 feet in any direction. if unsuccessful, you fall prone in the square that you are currently in.

Rule of Relative Mathematics--i fudge rolls all of the time in order to further the story. ok, 'all the time' might be an exaggeration. but i do it, so don't be surprised if you catch it. normally i try to do it in a discreet, non-railroading way that you guys will never notice. but i'm a fallible human too, and occasionally slip. don't worry, if you will remember, i do it in order to FURTHER the story, which includes the goals and desires of the players and their pc's.

Shards of Narsil––who ever heard of a magic item that couldn't be fixed once broken? not only is that the stuff of legendary campaigns, it just makes sense. so, don't feel so bad when you sunder the BBEG's vorpal sword, because you might just end up with it still...

Skill Ranks-- so, once you have training in a class, the class skills of that class are always considered class skills, no matter what other class/prc/racial advancement/etc you are advancing. once trained: always trained.

Sorcerer's Lament-- the sorc has always been the red-headed stepbrother of the wizard. i hate that he gets nerfed at just about every opportunity. granted, there have been some good supplemental stuff for him, but one of his biggest (in my opinion) crutches is the fact that he has to wait for an extra level to begin a new level of spells. sorcerers in my game will gain new spell levels one level earlier. the mechanic for this is kinda sloppy, so bear with me, and if anyone has any suggestions for a better method, let me know.

mechanical info below:
    Spoiler
    Show

0 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Summon
    familiar 5 3 — — — — — — — —
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 6 4 — — — — — — — —
    3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 6 5 — — — — — — — —
    4th +2 +1 +1 +4 6 6 3 — — — — — — —
    5th +2 +1 +1 +4 6 6 4 — — — — — — —
    6th +3 +2 +2 +5 6 6 5 3 — — — — — —
    7th +3 +2 +2 +5 6 6 6 4 — — — — — —
    8th +4 +2 +2 +6 6 6 6 5 3 — — — — —
    9th +4 +3 +3 +6 6 6 6 6 4 — — — — —
    10th +5 +3 +3 +7 6 6 6 6 5 3 — — — —
    11th +5 +3 +3 +7 6 6 6 6 6 4 — — — —
    12th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 — — —
    13th +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 — — —
    14th +7/+2 +4 +4 +9 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 — —
    15th +7/+2 +5 +5 +9 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 — —
    16th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3 —
    17th +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4 —
    18th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 5 3
    19th +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 4
    20th +10/+5 +6 +6 +12 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6

^normal progression

the way i am working it is this, at every level where a wizard would gain access to a new level of spells (one level before the sorc), the sorc gains one spell per day of that level. so 3rd level would read (6/5/1), and 4th level would then still read (6/6/3).

spells known is a bit trickier. so far, my best idea has been to do it like the ranger for spells per day. at every level that he now gains 1 spell/day of the new spell level (the level before the sorc normally gets it), he also gains spells known based on his bonus spells only, to a maximum of one spell known of that level. therefore, if the 3rd level sorcerer does not have a 14 charisma, and therefore does not gain 2nd level charisma-based bonus spells, he cannot yet cast 2nd level spells. however, if any of you are trying to create a caster that does not have a 14 or better in your caster stat, then i'm probably going to be using you for target practice anyway, so i'm not too worried that this will be a problem.

notice that even if your ability grants 3 bonus spells at a certain level, you can only gain one for now. why? because i said so. no... well yes, but because next level, you would be getting that one spell anyway. the point is to get it earlier, not to get more of them.

whew. this one has always been harder. thanks for bearing with me.

further, a sorcerer can cast metamagic'ed spells without any casting time increase.

Specific Class Abilities Fixes and Add-ons-- yeah, pretty much the same as the feat fixes. let me know if you have others that need fixing, or different ideas than what is already here.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragonscale Husk: can be enchanted with armor magical abilities, if first enchanted with a virtual +4 bonus (that does not actually apply to AC, but factors in the current armor abilities). Enchanting it with that +4 virtual bonus makes it masterwork armor, giving it the -1 to armor check penalties.

alternative to the medium armor (6+1/3 HD armor bonus), a character can trade its armor proficiency in for a light armor dragonscale husk that gives a bonus of 2+1/3 HD armor bonus (max +8 at 18th level), an armor check penalty of -1, a maximum dex modifier of +6, and no chance of spell failure. all other features remain the same as the medium dragonscale husk armor.

Spell Ranges–Personal Spells––from now on, any spell, psionic power, mystery, invocation, etc, that has a range of personal is now considered to have a range of touch. if such an effect is used by the caster on him or herself, it is only then considered to have a range of personal.

many "personal" spells are listed at "no SR/no saves." all of them will now be subject to SR, and have saves permitted (save type will be determined on case by case basis).

i reserve the right to negate this ruling on specific spells or related effects if they would become game-breaking or annoying otherwise.

Spinning Yarns-- i realize that it is very hard to actually convey things like battlefield positions, tactics, etc, on a forum. therefore, we are all going to have to be a bit flexible and imaginative. it is going to be hard to be true to normal squares of movement, combat maneuvering, etc. i am very flexible in this regard when it comes to pbp. generally, i will try to give as descriptive an idea as i can as to where your characters are, and who is close to what, etc. i probably am not going to start drawing battle maps and stuff though. so roll with it. i probably am not going to post portraits of each pc and stuff, so roll with it. if you need to know ranges, circumfrences, and volumes, let me know, and i'll let you know. you can improv with me quite a bit. if i say you are talking to a wealthy banker, but don't mention anything else, go ahead and tell him that you love his blue hat and brown shoes--whether or not i mentioned it. i will probably just roll with it. if it goes contrary to something i had planned, i'll let you know.

XP in general--don't expect standard xp awards. sometimes it will be less, sometimes more; sometimes at the end of a chapter, sometimes in the middle; sometimes i will just say, "everyone gains one level" or something similar. basically, i kind of fudge xp gains as i feel is beneficial to the goals of the chronicle. sometimes i kill level adjustment in the same manner, generally in place of an xp award, or alongside a smaller one.

Withdraw Action-- there is no withdraw action, only normal movement.

more to come as i remember them/dream them up/find them, etc...

Watchtower Character Creation:
    Spoiler
    Show

32-point buy getalt 10th level

full hit points at every level

fractional bab and saves

2 flaws and 2 traits possible

wealth by level: 49,000gp

look at the ability score and feat acquisition houserules in order to calculate these.

pretty much anything official (printed in one of the wiz books) is legal, though i will dissect the crap out of some things. anything else, even third party publications, is considered homebrew–which is very much encouraged–and will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

players, what am i forgetting?

Level Adjustment Awards

Spoiler
    Show

occasionally, as an xp award, you will lose one level of LA adjustment. what this means (as far as i have figured out) is that you generally just bump your level progression on that side down one and add another level at the top (highest hit dice).

example:

1-LA 1/wizard 1
    2-LA 2/wizard 2
    3-fighter 1/wizard 3

would become:

1-LA 1/wizard 1
    2-fighter 1/wizard 2
    3-fighter 2/wizard 3

The Contracts:

Spoiler
    Show

Luna Citadel Armed Forces Contract

I, __________________, have voluntarily enlisted in the Luna Citadel Armed Forces for a period of two Celestial years, beginning on the date, ______, and ending on the date, ______.

I understand that I can resign before the above termination date, but that I will forfeit any and all future benefits.

I understand that I am enlisting as a Combat Specialist, and will be required to place myself in harm's way on a consistent basis, in order to serve the greater needs of Celestia, as defined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that I am to receive a monthly salary while serving for Luna Citadel, beginning in the amount of 100 auras every month, subject to an increase or decrease as determined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that Luna Citadel will undertake all medical responsibilities for my well being, up to, but not including, death.

I understand that I am subject to obey lawful orders from my superior officers.

I understand that Luna Citadel law and regulatory policies may change without notice, and that I will still be subject to those changes.

I understand that upon successful and acceptable completion of my enlistment, I will be entitled to certain benefits for the rest of my existence.
    1) I will always have an open position within Luna Citadel, regardless of current service positions available; this position may or may not be within my original training and service; pay for this permanent position will be subject to both need and the decision of the superior officers of Luna Citadel; this permanent position may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    2) I will always have the right to speak before the Citadel-Celestial Bureaucracy liaisons, in order to affect future Luna Citadel regulations, or to affect the legislation of the Celestial Bureaucracy as regarding Luna Citadel; this right may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    3) I will always have the right to attend the social and ceremonial functions of Luna Citadel, up to and including those available to me according to my rank at end of service, as if I were still an active service member of Luna Citadel; this right may be revoked at any time with unsatisfactory behavior or circumstances, as defined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.
    4) Other rights may be given as determined by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

****WARNING: Confidential Section to follow:

Watchtower Contract

I, __________________, have voluntarily enlisted in the Watchtower for a period of two Celestial years, beginning on the date, ______, and ending on the date, ______.

I have voluntarily chosen this wartime obligation, and have not been coerced, by any mundane or supernatural force, to this decision.

I understand that the Watchtower is a nonexistent entity within Luna Citadel, and that I am never to refer to it to those that do not have access to this information; these individuals will be introduced to me presently.

I understand that if I reveal information in a willful or negligent manner, I may be held accountable and prosecutable by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that my service in the Watchtower entitles me to a further 100 auras every month in base pay, subject to an increase or decrease as determined by my superior officers of Luna Citadel.

I understand that once I give my final signature, and am accepted by this document, and by the superior officers of Luna Citadel, this section of the contract that pertains to service in the Watchtower will disappear, and will not be made visible except with the consent of the superior officers of Luna Citadel. I further understand that if and when I have reason to review the terms of my enlistment and service to the Watchtower, that I have the right to review the entire contract, including this section pertaining to the Watchtower, with the supervision of a superior officer of Luna Citadel.

I understand the fourfold mission of the Watchtower to be as follows, and I will do my best to further these missions:

One--The Watchtower will identify and monitor high-risk areas, which are generally defined as areas with substantially higher than normal percentages of powerful villains as compared to powerful protectors. These designated areas will be consistently monitored for future problems, in which case the Watchtower will respond as reasonable. In such cases as it is not expedient or reasonable to annihilate the threat, the mission will be to check and control that evil until it can be eradicated.

Two--The Watchtower will identify those villains that skirt planar and area boundaries sufficient to confuse the responsible and authorized application of justice and righteousness. These villains will be eradicated when reasonable, and monitored, checked, and controlled when not.

Three--The Watchtower will respond to requests for aid from sincerely needful individuals or groups. These areas will then be reviewed to determine whether they meet the qualifications for mission number one.

Four--The Watchtower will preserve the lives of innocents whenever possible, and will take appropriate steps to minimize collateral damage within the areas of its operation. Further, the Watchtower will apply the proper emergency relief to those innocents affected by the operation or the targets of the operation. This duty includes medical and guardianship roles where applicable, but does not under normal circumstances include rebuilding, political reform, or other matters of infrastructure. These matters will be handled by Luna Citadel as determined appropriate by the superior officers of the organization.

NOTE: The divine nature of this contract will not allow for dishonest or untrue answers to any of the statements, whether knowingly or unknowingly. If the contract does not accept your final signature, you have been rejected for said service, and will have your memory regarding this incident erased. By attempting to sign this contract, you are giving your permission for said actions by the superior officers of Luna Citadel.

Final Signature: ____________________________ Date: ____________

Witness: ___________________ Witness: _____________________

Luna Citadel Recorder: ______________________ Date: ____________

along with your goals, post a link to your character sheet. that way i can patch it into this directory.

thanks, aaron out.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2009-07-28 at 11:43 AM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Watchtower--Aftermath

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I don't know where I ended up at the end of that one (or where I will end up) but I'm in for a while longer at least. I can probably fight geurilla warfare for quite a while without having to worry about watching out for my friends. I would probably try to complete the mission, but considering the slaughter, I wouldn't be against teleporting back once I found the way.
    Feldas Teiflet
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2008-07-20 at 03:39 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Old avatar by KP (I think)
    Green Lantern of the Rayneverse

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Xerek Roakkad.

Goals... not sure if you're looking for plot hooks / long term character development stuff or just immediate goals, so here's a few of each.

- Although he's a good guy, Xerek's a bit aimless, and the Watchmen gave him some structure and perspective, so he's keen to keep the Watchmen organisation functioning.
    - interested in High Arcana, and looking to prestige into Archmage.
    - Has studied Dragons extensively (heavily invested in Knowledge Arcana), but has never actually encountered one...

For right now..

- is not willing to give up on stopping Khaneer and the wurmsteed just yet and will keep trying to complete the mission.
    - definitely keen to salvage / rebuild the watchtower / watchmen organisation.

Myeah, sorry if that's a load of crap, goal setting isn't my strong suit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

so, anyone still around? we might have to recruit...

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Underground Railgun
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aukan growled in frustration as the clever hobgoblin danced around behind him, blade flashing. The goliath instinctively brought his shield arm around to ward off the cut that he knew was coming—the magical barrier following instantly—unceremoniously dumping Xessalis’ haggard form to the ground. There was little that could be done about it now though, and the goliath gritted his teeth as hobgoblin steel rang off of his heavy shield, deflected out harmlessly wide.

The dire lion gave a terrifying roar, and then leapt over the heads of its attackers, a shortspear still embedded within its ribs, staining beautiful golden fur red with bubbling blood. Astrum’s heart leapt upon seeing that his friend was still alive. Ducking under a heavy axe swing, the cat rebounded off of the wall and made its way into their improvised defensive position.

Instead of bringing his massive sword around in these tight quarters, Aukan merely reached out to his shield and grasped its enarmes, before thrusting forward with the rim of his giant shield and catching the hobgoblin in the jaw. The hobgoblin was hurled backward into the wall at the end of the tunnel, where it thudded heavily into the stone and stumbled, trying to regain its feet. Aukan yelled again and brought the shield around as hard as his prodigious strength allowed. The metal of the shield crumpled the hobgoblin’s skull like brittle wood, and split the stone of the wall behind it.

A throwing axe ricocheted off of the wall to Astrum’s right and lodged in between the gaps in his armored shoulder. With a shout, Astrum tore it out, relieved to find that it had not penetrated the mail, and flung it toward the closest hobgoblin near the hallway where Feldas had gone.

Xessalis moaned where he lay on the floor, still unconscious, but apparently stable. Aukan turned back to Astrum’s side in time to run his heavy blade through the ribs of an overeager foe, and Astrum clapped a hand on his lion’s blood-matted neck as it made it back within the safety of the narrow tunnel.

“Where is that sneaky little thief?” Aukan demanded as he peered back toward the hallway where battle was still joined.

Astrum did a double take as he glanced momentarily back at the goliath, looking beyond him to the wall behind. The crushed, bloodied remains of a shield-bashed hobgoblin lay at the base of a partially-shattered hidden door, fragments of broken stone laying about its dead form. The heavy door still stood on its iron track, but was broken and crooked, revealing a glimmer of light from the other side. Hobgoblin voices sounded from the chamber beyond, and Astrum felt a distinct breeze coming from within.

A blast of blue-hot fire erupted from the tunnel that concealed Feldas and the illithids. Aukan startled as the heat seared his skin even from their little nook and hesitated for just a moment as he thought of their teammate broiled alive in that tunnel. For his distraction, the goliath took a stab to his belly by a hobgoblin-wielded falchion.

“Aukan, look!” Astrum shouted, pointing back at the secret door even as he shoulder-checked another hobgoblin out of his way. He took a few steps closer to the goliath, and from his new angle, could see a throne in the low light of the chamber beyond the ruined door.

The goliath ignored Astrum’s demands for the moment, and instead, pulled away from the offending blade with a painful grunt, and swung his own sword hastily about in an attempt to buy himself some room. Then, with a moment to spare, the goliath scooped up the stricken illithid again and tossed him over his shoulder.

Just then, they both heard Feldas’ familiar laugh coming from within the chamber behind them, beyond the revealed door.

Both of them turned, Aukan shoving a hobgoblin away from him in the process, and saw the dancing silhouette of the tiefling within as he nimbly evaded another burst of blue fire from whatever enemies were inside the hidden chamber.

Incredulously, Aukan advanced on the hidden door, Astrum and his lion spinning back to the front of the hallway to hold off the foe. With a heavy kick, the goliath sent the rest of the stonework crumbling to the floor. Then he entered the chamber, greatsword held high. Astrum and the lion backed in after him, the druid destroyed two more of the hobgoblins in a torrent of magical energy.

There, inside what appeared to be some sort of throneroom, Feldas was furiously—but happily—dodging arcs, rays, and blasts of psionic energy from the wispy form of some spectre of incorporeal undead. The undead creature seemed humanoid in shape, though with skeletal features that seemed to fade in and out of visibility, and radiant eyes of a vivid, menacing green.

ACCOUNT TERMINATED BY AUTHORITY OF LUNA CITADEL

The End is ‘Neer
    Spoiler
    Show

Merco spun past another heavy blow from the large orc, his own weapon whipping out and finding the flexible chain mail at the orc’s knee joint. Though the fine armor stopped much of the impact of the assault, the paladin’s fine weapon cut through orc flesh and sliced into tendon and muscle.

The orc screamed out aloud and brought the pommel of his greatsword around with stupendous alacrity. Merco knocked backward, sprawling to his side. The orc roared in a ferocious rage as it raised the sword high above its head, putting all of its weight on its uninjured right leg.

Xerek’s mount wheeled through the air evasively as a ball of flames shot up from the tumult of battle below. Xerek swore and clutched to his ride with the knowledge that a fall from this height would be devastating. The fireball detonated behind him and to the left, reaching out with a wave of compressed, heated air. The phantom steed was quick enough to keep them from the fatal flames, though Xerek still felt the singe of the superheated air, and the magical horse was thrown off balance and sent tumbling through the air for a moment by the turbulence. It was all that Xerek could do to remain firmly seated on his mount; he leaned forward and held on for dear life.

There! Even as he attempted to remain in his saddle, Xerek saw the enemy spellcasters—two of them—surrounded by a squad of archers. The archers were currently firing into the melee that Eden and Harar had disappeared into, seeming not to care of orc casualties from their powerful volleys. One of the spellcasters was preparing a conjuration of sorts, his gaze resolutely aimed in Xerek’s direction. The other seemed to be concentrating on the orc hordes.

Merco kicked out savagely at the orc’s right leg and then rolled backward, attempting to put as much room between himself and the raging warlord as possible before he tried to regain his feet.

The orc staggered but did not fall—he had been expecting something similar from the paladin, and had shifted his weight at the last moment. This had still delayed his finishing strike against his supine foe however, and now the orc advanced with an even greater anger born of irritation and humiliation.

With the wall of ice down, no longer blocking the west wind from the battlefield, the haze of smoke began to drift much more quickly from the melee, and Merco caught a quick glance of Eden and Harar surrounded by foes. The two of them were being pressed closer and closer to the menacing mechanics of the wall of gears. Arrows skipped around them, incredibly, bouncing right off of the hides of the orcs that surged around them. The orcs seemed to pay no heed to the missile volleys of their allies, quite content with the extra distraction and danger that it presented to their foes.

ACCOUNT TERMINATED BY AUTHORITY OF LUNA CITADEL

Scree materialized like a ghost from the dust and shadows of the keep’s blasted doors, hands clasped before him to keep them from shaking. “I have done all that I can for those within.”

With that, he began to aid with the wounded without. Somehow, the perpetual light of the demiplane seemed to wane, as with the setting of a prime realm’s sun. The survivors went about their work grimly and with growing exhaustion.

Later, the healing work finished—as much as was possible—those that could, moved about, rescuing valuables, righting stones, repairing gates and doors. Scree was about, mending magical wards and other protections. Kurukshetra, the young radiant dragon, was weak and tired, but now awake and capable of helping others. A few of the faerie folk, the stirges, were still tending to the wounded while the rest aided in the salvage and reconstruction efforts.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2009-04-03 at 05:56 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

bumping this...

let me know if you guys are still here.

if there are still just the two of you, i'm going to have to open up recruiting again. though i am thinking of a way to do it that would be incorporated into the campaign.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd certainly be willing to go on a "recruiting run" once I return to the Watchtower, if that gives you any ideas for how to incorporate others.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

sounds good. i think i will do a recruiting thread then. but we will do it in character, here. i will post a recruiting thread in the recruiting forum, with a link to this thread, and instructions on how to run the try-outs.

but first, i need to get the last part of the intro up. for that, i might need another 2-3 days. we'll see.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

(better idea. i'm going to do the intro simultaneously. recruiting thread is up. i need you guys to play the role of the recruiters; read the post, and you'll understand. this is all still coming to me as i write it, so it is sure to be a little choppy.

have fun with the recruits, and have fun with the knowledge that they are all starting out at level 10.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86400

aaron out.)
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-07-31 at 01:17 AM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

(ooc-new houserules up: 'spinning yarns' and 'magic transparency')

and i almost forgot, all (surviving) old players advance one level, with exactly the xp needed to gain that level. treasure stays the same, though you have the r&r time to go out and craft or purchase if you want.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-07-31 at 02:41 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

12. - Top - End - #12

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Crap, sorry, jumped a link here, thought it was the new ooc. *backs out slowly*

Hey, Aukan still here. Abandoned this thread a while ago, still room for a big bad stoney goliath? Just stumbled across these threads, this the right place?
    Last edited by NobleSavage; 2008-08-02 at 04:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

((Yes! Still room for you, and plenty of welcome. Stycotl, I am starting to question something. With your latest, we'll be at level 14 with the new recruits at level 10? I hope you have some interesting ideas, because that could make for some interesting encounters. And this is somewhat of the new OOC. The new DM doesn't believe in having separate threads, so this is both, as long as you can make a distinction in your posts.))
    Last edited by KaganMonk; 2008-08-02 at 05:32 PM. Reason: more info

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

(ooc-yeah. interesting ideas, sure. workable, remains to be seen. i am trying to distinguish between the officers and the enlisted. the high-level characters (you guys) will lead. not necessarily co-dm or anything, but certainly add some weight to the senior side of the room.

and yes, i hate ooc pages. then you have to check two or three different threads just to make a knowledgable post.

next chapter of the aftermath should be up tomorrow i think...)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

(ooc-yeah, i'm slow on getting the next chapter up. school and work are getting in the way. but school is done now, so we will see if i can catch up on work, and then write up the next piece.

new houserule up: check out sorcerer's lament. it gives the sorcerer access to new spell levels at the same rate as the wizard. if anyone has a simpler or better system, let me know. this has kinda worked in the past--meaning that no one complained. but i'm always interested in ideas that are outside of my narrow tunnel vision.

aaron out.)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

(ooc-i thought it had been stated before, but i cannot find it now, so i added gestalt progression to the list of hosue rules. check it out, so you can better build your character.)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc-another pair of houserules: class fixes, and specific class ability fixes.

EDIT: also added a skill rank houserule.
    Last edited by Stycotl; 2008-08-26 at 02:04 PM.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC- I hope that I interpreted your post in the recruitment page correctly. If so, this is the new posting place (and I'm in, yay! ).
    On another note, I am unfortunately going to be in San Fransisco this weekend for a family thing (and just when this could get started, too). You have my permission to role-play me until then, DM.
    Edit: So we are continuing... nice.
    Last edited by Realms of Chaos; 2008-09-04 at 10:04 PM.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

19. - Top - End - #19
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

(( Checking in as well ))

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

((Well he said we'd be continuing the scenario here, so...))

Levi
    HP: 76/108

As the force of the blast wears away Levi shakes his head and the network seems to ripple as a sort of static runs through it. This is merely Levi checking on those present to ensure everyone is still alive and well, to whatever degree the terms alive and well apply. He slips further into the shadows, moving away from the combat at best speed back down the way they had come.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc-yeppers, we're living here now. ooc stuff should be im spoilers; that's how we were doing it earlier. but i got lazy, as you can see with the houserule posts.

cool, realms. have fun. won't kill ugrot while you're gone, i promise. though he might be wearing a girdle of sex change...

levi is moving back toward scree? or farther down the unknown end of the hall toward kuru?

another feat fix: snatch/improved grab

With Shek's bullrush, Ugrot is not within immediate reach of anyone but the fire elf. Kurukshetra is about to respond to Ugrot's continuing rage, when, from farther down the hall behind him, the slight red glow flares into an infernal conflagration, and a tremor shakes the tunnel floor. If your ears worked, you would have heard a low rumble similar to that of a large building toppling, or the heavy footstep of an angry god.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Back towards the entrance, as that way should have no traps and Levi considers it safer than jumping into the unknown red glow ahead.

On your comment in the other thread (most of which can probably be ignored)
    >.> I'd just be happy with more skill points, really. Levi is meant to sit back and not be in combat or to scout, and with my poor skill point selection and low Int I kinda ran out of points for my build. I need the fighter levels for Weapon Specialization so I can grab Ranged Weapon Mastery at 12 and of the new recruits I'm the only one that can find traps.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to a "Super PrC" that combines Society Mind and Fighter/Rogue into an awesome tactical PrC for the price of consuming both sides of the gestalt that would still allow me to get Weapon Specialization (damned Fighter Level 4 required) so I can snag Ranged Weapon Mastery.
    Here I start rambling
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though I do recall we were talking of some sort of Order of the Bow Initiate adaptation. Hell, a SuperPrC that combines Society Mind and a Xbow version of OotBI would be something that I'd take for the rest of my advancement. Further increasing precision range, an assassin-esque Sniper Shot/Deadly Precision, close combat shot, and the Society Mind's manifester progression with similar range increases and perhaps a few bonus feats, 6 skill points, at least cleric BAB, Good Ref/Will, and a d8 would feel about right.
    Compared to a SM/OotBI thats 2 more skill points/level, no additional network members, no subconscious gaze, no divert concentration, no efficient network, a lower BAB, and fighter bonus feats.
    Comparing this to a Rage Mage such a Gestalt would gain full BAB, full casting, d12, good Fort/Will, Rage, 4 skill points/level, fast movement, DR, uncanny dodge. Not to be confused with the normal PrC Rage Mage or any sort of SuperPrC based on it.
    It would be slightly more powerful than a normal gestalt SM/OotBI but thats what a SuperPrC is described as.

Then again, I really do want to go pure Society Mind for that Devotion feat. XDDD

Though that having been said, I wasn't really worried about being underpowered as I'm fully aware that Levi is not damage output, but tactical support. Telepathy and Cooperative Healing alone make him an awesome support character, and the Soul Buffer just makes it better.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    something that big, you'd have to come up with the majority fo the homebrewing. that does give you more leverage to make sure you get what you want though. i might be able to get something like that done though; but i'd need a good deal of time to put something that complex together.

Kuru looks again to Ugrot, then back down the hall, and then back to Ugrot with a growl. You're keeping me from the fun that I am fairly certain awaits me ahead.

With that, he slinks back toward the group and the raging goliath, wondering if he would be able to summon the divine might of Bahamut sufficient to calm him down.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Shek

We need to channel the berserker towards our enemies. We can't be attacking ourselves like this.

Spoiler
    Show

Rebuilding. Should have the sheet done by this time tomorrow. Probably earlier.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, if we're going to be throwing Urgot towards the enemies, running towards the big glowy red doom might make some sort of sense. I'll take advice from others on this.

As for the SuperPrC, I'll get to work on it right now. Worldthought Tactician, I'd think.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc-sounds cool, tac.

So, any ideas on how to lure the big guy out there?

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

27. - Top - End - #27

Renatus

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    So, any ideas on how to lure the big guy out there?

"Well, he seems intent on attacking, so I'd suggest moving the way we want to go, which will draw him with us. I only hope it is not a distraction in the midst of larger conflict."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Come on Big Man! Face my wrath!
    After shouting these words Shek begins retreating to pull the berserker toward enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show

I have a taunt function. Lolz.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurukshetra shrugs, Sounds good to me.

And with that, the young dragon wheels about and darts down the hall like a golden missile.

As the group hurries down the tunnel, over the sound of Shek taunting the goliath in order to get him to follow, the sound of the chanting grows louder. Both Shek and Aukan recognize the deep bass voices and inflections of duergar, and this knowledge is made immediately known to all through Levi's net.

Spoiler
    Show
    ooc-anyone speak duergar?

for the sake of this encounter, i'm not counting how many people i have in your network, tacitus. when we hand out teams and responsibilities, i'll worry about that.

Renatus is the first one after the radiant dragon out of the tunnel, and his eyes adjust quickly to the scene before him. Aukan and Feldas gasp as they see the a similar setup to the battle that they had fought before the Watchtower's devastating loss at the hands of Abyssal invaders. A large, wide cavern, and an empty stone throne, and a rough, tilted pillar of luminous crystal behind it, were the foremost noticeable features of the cavern. The pillar reaches from the ground, all the way to the ceiling in the center of this large cavern, nearly 300 feet above, and leaning at an angle of about 60 degrees, sloped toward from the tunnel entrance, looming over the throne.

Feldas has flashbacks of nimbly dancing past the assaults of some sort of undead psionic entity with green eyes, and of swarms of crystalline spiders surrounding him and dropping from the tattered webs draped from the ceiling.

Aukan sees images of him and his late companions, backed up in a narrow tunnel, trying to hold off squads of hobgoblins.

Everyone else in the net sees these images and feels the sudden anxiety of the two veterans.

Behind the throne and the huge pillar of crystal, this one a soft, swirled green color, the light of hundreds of torches glows, and the voices of the duergar chanters resonates, though they are not visible from behind the monstrous pillar. Kurukshetra is bounding toward the throne and the pillar, 200 feet away from the tunnel, his wings folded against his back, his strides long and powerful.

Just as Shek comes tearing out of the tunnel, another earth-shaking tremor rocks the heavy stone of this subterranean complex, and the torchlight dances, sending disorienting shadows and reflections across the cavern, amplified and given a near-living quality by the jagged surfaces of the crystal.

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns

30. - Top - End - #30

Renatus

"An open space... much more my style," Renatus comments as he shifts back to his accustomed form. He then takes wing, following Kurukshetra into what most likely is a trap.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota