New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Edward Elric plays DnD.

So, I was re-watching episode 3 of Fullmetal Alchemist. The episode opens with Ed and Al in a library, reminiscing about their childhood over an old textbook. However, the "camera" focuses on the inside pages of the textbook, and some of it can be made out clearly. As the scene faded into the Elrics' childhood, I thought I noticed something in the upper right-hand corner of the page. It looked like the words "Prestige Classes". So, out of curiosity, I rewound, freezeframed and took this little snapshot.

And it did indeed say prestige classes! Not only that, it referenced NPCs and d20! It even mentions the specific book, Alchemy & Herbalists from Bastion Press.

So, there can only be one logical conclusion. The Elrics play DnD. Also, they apparently get their books like 60 years ahead of us.
    Last edited by Worira; 2008-07-23 at 04:08 PM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Edward Elric plays DnD.

Nice.....

I laughed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, that is cool.

4. - Top - End - #4

That is actually really funny.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

5. - Top - End - #5

Good catch!

I wonder if anyone has ever homebrewed a good transmutation alchemist PrC before? Major and minor creation just don't seem like the accurately reflect the flavor of the FMA-verse, and I'm kinda wondering if it's even possible to do without a lot of faking it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Actually, if you pay attention to all of the documents in FMA, you'll notice that only first two sentences have any connection to that particular document, the rest is just nonsense - for example, on some other occasion the book/document describes in detail a new section of a museum in London. So, no, they aren't really playing DnD, the writers just used that paragraph as a joke, since they didn't want to write a full of page of alchemy-related stuff.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

7. - Top - End - #7

Nice catch.

On a slightly related note, while there isn't anything that properly replicates an alchemist that I can find, making Al is quite easy--high level Warforged Psion (Telepath) + True Mind Switch... with a child.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    Actually, if you pay attention to all of the documents in FMA, you'll notice that only first two sentences have any connection to that particular document, the rest is just nonsense - for example, on some other occasion the book/document describes in detail a new section of a museum in London. So, no, they aren't really playing DnD, the writers just used that paragraph as a joke, since they didn't want to write a full of page of alchemy-related stuff.
    Huh? It's not one paragraph, it's the entire page. No sentences are relevant to FMA, only the picture.

Also, I think you may have somewhat missed the point.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder if any other anime characters play DND?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    That's what you think. Alchemy textbooks are so compicated they look like gibberish to most people. Only these with sufficient talent can understand their meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I wonder if any other anime characters play DND?
    I'd be surprised if Konata or the folks from Genshiken didn't at least hear about pencil and paper RPGs.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-07-24 at 12:11 AM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

A few of them are D&D characters...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

wow, that makes so much sense now.........
    from
    EE

13. - Top - End - #13

People have tried to make FMA-style Alchemy for D&D; I found this awhile ago:
    http://www.gameroom.com/sirwayne/dnd/dndalchemy.htm
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

14. - Top - End - #14

I can guess what's going on with that: The Japanese animators who made it probably didn't want to go to the trouble of actually writing out alchemy-stuff in English--so they copied the text of a DnD book (whether they only had a picture, or the actual book).

This mightn't be what happened, but it seems the most likely thing to me.
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

15. - Top - End - #15

Hehe funny. Who said D&D wouldn't help you save the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronicled View Post
    On a slightly related note, while there isn't anything that properly replicates an alchemist that I can find, making Al is quite easy--high level Warforged Psion (Telepath) + True Mind Switch... with a child.
    Al isn't a warforged. Warforgeds are still alive and need stuff like breathing.

Al is an animated suit of fullplate and True mind switch sheningans. He's completely immune to critical hits, disease, effects that affect living beings, doesn't need to rest and clearly has some sick DR. Also he can be worn and deconstructed whitout trouble.

EDIT:Or maybe it's that ALL alchemy books are written in code. Remember Edward saying once that every Alchemist worth his salt would hide his research under a scecial code? Who would suspect that an inocent board game actually holds the secrets to bend the laws of reality?
    Last edited by Oslecamo; 2008-07-24 at 06:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

If you read the text, what it actually sounds like is a review of a DnD book.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    EDIT:Or maybe it's that ALL alchemy books are written in code. Remember Edward saying once that every Alchemist worth his salt would hide his research under a scecial code? Who would suspect that an inocent board game actually holds the secrets to bend the laws of reality?
    ...You've discovered the secret to Alchemy! It's so clear now; Wizards of the Coast have known it forever! They've been trying to tell us, but they couldn't do it blatently; they had to hide it in their D&D sourcebooks! Genius! Now all we have to do is decipher the code!

That image makes me laugh so hard. I love FMA.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

18. - Top - End - #18

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    If you read the text, what it actually sounds like is a review of a DnD book.
    You're right...

"Heft tome, pages thick and durable, interesting cover art, and dozens of interesting NPCs!"

Holy cow, these guys didn't just PLAY D&D, they read books about books about it!
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Shouldn't that be in German, though?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehehe. That was interesting. The producers of the anime needed something to fill space, I believe.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    You're right...

"Heft tome, pages thick and durable, interesting cover art, and dozens of interesting NPCs!"

Holy cow, these guys didn't just PLAY D&D, they read books about books about it!
    That's what I thought too. Obviously, it's some kind of cunning code to conceal the secret to eternal life!

"This technique of animation filler has been passed down the Armstrong line for generations!"
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2008-07-24 at 08:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Al isn't a warforged. Warforgeds are still alive and need stuff like breathing.

Al is an animated suit of fullplate and True mind switch sheningans. He's completely immune to critical hits, disease, effects that affect living beings, doesn't need to rest and clearly has some sick DR. Also he can be worn and deconstructed whitout trouble.
    Warforged don't have to breathe, eat, sleep, etc. They're immune to disease and poison (and some other effects that target living creatures), can get DR and crit immunity with feats, etc.

About the only difference for all practical purposes is that they aren't hollow inside.

Besides, I didn't say Al IS a warforged; it's just that a warforged with a kid's mind inside who wants his body back (hence the True Mind Switch... or you could just have a delusional warforged), is usable for statting him out--with no mechanical tweaking really needed.

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, except for the fact that Al didn't really seem vulnerable to anything I'd call a critical hit. He did have the rather large weakness of the blood seal, though.

Anyway, if I was going to try to stat out FMA Alchemy for D&D, I'd probably start with the Warlock class since they're basically spell-users that can use their abilities apparently unlimited times per day and that'd make a good baseline for keeping them balanced. Eldritch Blast would make a good starting point for things like Roy Mustang's flame powers. I might mix in some of the Tome of Battle, too, to represent how a lot of Alchemists seem to mix in martial arts to their fighting styles.
    Last edited by Waspinator; 2008-07-24 at 11:23 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    Shouldn't that be in German, though?
    It depends. The first time Ed goes to the other side of the gate in the anime it's to London, so it makes sense that a language identical to English is spoken in Ed and Al's world. But the movie sequel suggests that Central is equivalent to Berlin in Germany so there's a lot of Translation Convention going on between the language of Amestris, German and English.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thank god they didn't make homunculi the same, would've made the series alot less interesting.
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Jack Chick.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Jack Chick.
    Would you like your internet heated up for you, sir?
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    Would you like your internet heated up for you, sir?
    no no, thankyou. I'ts more than hot enough for my needs

*starts frying an egg*

Who would suspect that an inocent board game actually holds the secrets to bend the laws of reality?

Jack Chick.
    genius. allow me to present both of you with a Interweb.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, FMA really shouldn't have put published material in their animation like this.

It can be sued: first, it's published material from a source. I've job-shadowed at production companies and there are people who's only job is to double-check that phone numbers and names *do not* match with real people. Newspapers have to have bogus stories in them, or the company uses random letters. They do this so they don't get sued. If it really is a bastion press book, FMA had better have the permission of the publisher to use their material. It's effectively plagiarism.

second: I don't know if reprinting material from another source counts as breach of the OGL. They may have hidden the license somewhere else in the episode, but there you go, maybe same deal. I'm not sure about this part, but it's theoretically possible.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Like the Japanese care about stuff like that.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show