New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4e] Question about attacking

I just got my 4th edition books but I'm a bit confused about attacking. Is there any full attack or similar action, or is it all single standard action attacks? If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.
    Dub Club in the Playground
    I need a new signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Question about attacking

There exists a basic attack which is Strength vs. AC (Dexterity Vs. AC with a ranged weapon) and does 1[w]+Strength (Or 1[W] with a ranged weapon). It's ideally suited for times when something says "You can make a basic attack" like that Warlord at-will or making Opportunity Attacks. But in general, it's a better idea to use an at-will than a basic attack if you may.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a thread stickied at the top of this page for this sort of Q.

and no, there is no full round actions.
    Action types-
    Standard, move, minor, free and no action. In the case of the first 3, each can be swapped down for a lesser action so you could move twice by swapping your standard action for a move etc.

All opportunity attacks default to basic attacks, and as Starsinger says there are powers that allow them also.
    Also you can only make a basic attack at the end of a charge (which is a standard action)
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-07-29 at 08:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
    I If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.
    Surprisingly, you can use your at wills whenever you want (at-will)
    Step 1: Get workers to make goods for you.
    Step 2: Sell the goods for a higher amount than what you pay the workers.
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Thanks to Mortugg for my current avatar, and for this steampunk version:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    Action types-
    Standard, move, minor, free and no action.
    You missed interrupt action. You get one interrupt action per turn, which resets at the start of your turn, and can be used during an opponent's turn.

All opportunity attacks default to basic attacks, and as Starsinger says there are powers that allow them also.
    *nod*. Note that opportunity actions are yet another kind of action. You can make one opportunity action per opponents turn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

One last thing: there are feats (at least one: Heavy Blade Opportunist) that allow you to use at-will powers for opportunity attacks. Also, some ranged powers count as basic attacks.
    So yes, you will be using at-wills whenever you can, most of the time.
    Dio non è con noi, perché anche lui odia gli imbecilli...

I think people over-emphasize the 'World of Warcraft’ comparison. Jay Wilson
    Talking about Diablo 3 of course. What where you thinking of?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sometimes it's better to charge then use an at-will power. But usually you'll be using at-wills anyway.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
    I just got my 4th edition books but I'm a bit confused about attacking. Is there any full attack or similar action, or is it all single standard action attacks? If it is all just standard action attacks, is there any reason not to use your at will attacks constantly? I have a feeling that I missed a sentence somewhere.
    To get to the exact point...

To attack, you use a power that says it's an attack. That's it. It uses whatever action (standard, move, etc.) it says it uses, and it does whatever it says it does.

And yes, your at-wills are designed to be used constantly. The only time you don't want to use an at-will is if you want to do something else with that action (such as use an Encounter power instead of an at-will).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    The only time you don't want to use an at-will is if you want to do something else with that action (such as use an Encounter power instead of an at-will).
    Or when you can't use an at-will, such as for opportunity attacks or when a power gives you a bonus basic attack.

But yes, when you're attacking with your standard action on your turn, your at will attacks are your normal fall-back options.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    There exists a basic attack which is Strength vs. AC (Dexterity Vs. AC with a ranged weapon) and does 1[w]+Strength (Or 1[W] with a ranged weapon). It's ideally suited for times when something says "You can make a basic attack" like that Warlord at-will or making Opportunity Attacks. But in general, it's a better idea to use an at-will than a basic attack if you may.
    Just to note that Ranged Basic Attack deals 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I conclude that in 4(e) there is no point in making basic actions when you have powers. Every turn should be using a power... run out of powers? well use at will abilities. Thats why they nerfed Magic Missile. so you can use it every turn
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, Basic Attacks are only for those few times when you can't use a real power (Charging, OAs, etc.). Or if you're fighting really weak guys for some reason and you get bored and decide to throw in a Basic just for spice.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Just about every attack you make is a power, basic melee and basic ranged attacks are powers as well, powers that everybody has. Normally it's better to use one of your class powers instead of a basic attack, but there are many things that only allow basic attacks(such as charging).
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    I conclude that in 4(e) there is no point in making basic actions when you have powers. Every turn should be using a power... run out of powers? well use at will abilities. Thats why they nerfed Magic Missile. so you can use it every turn
    Yep. Except, At-Wills ought to be the basic staples, then you add on your powers from there. Using more powers as you level up...

But yeah. At-Wills are tons cooler than basic attacks. I like them.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Some at wills allow for two attacks as a standard action, such as the rangers Twin Strike.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Note that some of the basic actions, such as charge, bull rush, and grab do useful things that you may not have at-will powers that can replecate.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Just to note that Ranged Basic Attack deals 1[W] + Dexterity modifier damage.
    Unless it's with a heavy thrown weapon, right?

I'll have to double check that when I get home.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarr View Post
    Unless it's with a heavy thrown weapon, right?

I'll have to double check that when I get home.
    No, that's right. For a heavy thrown weapon, use STR.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    You missed interrupt action. You get one interrupt action per turn, which resets at the start of your turn, and can be used during an opponent's turn.
    Actually, it's immediate, of which there are two types: interrupt and reaction. Immediate interrupts are resolved before the event that triggered them, and reactions are resolved after. Otherwise, they function just like you said, right down to only getting one immediate action per round.
    Quote Originally Posted by HidaTsuzua View Post
    it'll be likely as successful as punching someone in the face to do dentistry.