Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

confused [4E]Rooftops and Alleyways of Westgate

Westgate, 1379 DR
    So many things changed after the death of Mystra. The Spellplague was unleashed upon the Realms causing death and destruction wherever it touched. Wizards were driven insane or worse when they attempted to use their powers. The land suffered as well, great swaths of land were rendered uninhabitable by normal beings due to shifting storms of magic transforming man and beast alike until they were indistinguishable from their original forms.

Some cities passed through the initial portion of the Spellplague realtively untouched. Westgate was one such place. There were a few instances of magical destruction during the early days but the city had never been a haven for large numbers of the magically talented (which they no longer lamented) so they were spared the worst. The largest challenge that it left was a lowering of the water level in the harbor (which was finally solved with the use of thousands of laborers dredging the harbor and creating some of the finest fruit orchards with the sludge/soil scraped from the bottom of the old harbor).

All of the positive changes in the city might not have been possible without the help of adventurers who finally broke the power of the Night Masks and their Vampire master. The vampire had begun to feed indiscriminately and create spawn who were doing the same. The merchants who controlled trade found some willing (albeit crazed) adventurers to face this self styled lord of the night and defeat him. Since that time, the guild that he lead so ruthlessly fractured into three seperate groups vying for control of the city (and her thieves).

The Three Groups:

The Night Masks. This group is made up of stalwarts of the original guild who were in good positions when the old master fell. They wish things to return to the way they were and have the best financial backing of the three groups. They are concerned with using their connections to exert control over the merchant factions in the city and using intimidation to gain that control.

The Vipers of Night. The core of this faction is made up of Assassins. It is whispered that they are in league with several dark powers (some say the goddess Shar, some think it some infernal pact). They use terror to get what they desire (which is a return to the old days where the guild ruled the city at the point of a knife in the dark).

The Hands of Mask. This group is made up of everyone that's left. From the lowest pickpocket to the master burglar. There is very little structure in this group, rather there are a few key individuals who act as contacts with a group of priests of Mask. Jobs are handed down from them for the betterment of the "guild" and "donations" are required of members. Donations are modest (10% of the "take" from a job) and are used to secure the Hands of Mask against the other two factions.

Recent News:

*Whispers in the taprooms see Cormyr wanting to consolidate their control of the Dragonmere has many in Westgate casting nervous glances to the north. The Merchant lords of the city are trying to consolidate their power after the fragmentation of the Night Masks. They have begun hiring mercenaries to bolster the defenses of the city but some see this as letting a tiger guard the sheep from the wolves.

*Sinkholes have begun opening up in the city. Some say that it has to do with the dredging of the harbor and others believe it to be old dungeons/cellars/sewers causing the collapses. At least one of these holes was large enough to swallow a house. Passageways found when the holes open have been quickly bricked up or filled in when possible “just in case”.

*Some people are missing. While this is not unusual in Westgate, it seems to be happening more often and to members of “society” rather than the typical laborers and transients. There seems to be no pattern to the kidnappings (if that’s indeed what they are) but everyone has taken notice and is more wary when traveling about the city at night.

*Refugees fleeing the (now Cormyrian) cities of Teziir and Elversult are said to be carrying most of their worldly (and expensive) possessions with them. While some have been able to find shelter with relatives living in the city, others have been forced to dwell outside the city walls in a (growing) community referred to by city dwellers as Downwind and by the refugees as simply as home. Most of these people work in the fruit orchards and farms that surround the city now that the work on the harbor is complete.

New Beginnings:

The three of you have recently been inducted into the Hands of Mask. Your contact with other members of the organization to this point has been limited (for obvious reasons) but you all share one in common. Barkeep extrordinaire, Lastel One Thumb; a flamboyant man of mixed heritage (some say 1/2 orc, 1/2 ogre, or part troll), he makes up for his fearsome appearance by being a welcoming host at the Vulgar Unicorn taproom. He treats all of his guests fairly (until they force him to do otherwise in which case he has won bets on making "former patrons" bounce off the walls of the establishment across the street).

The Vulgar Unicorn is in one of the worst parts of town still inside the city walls, this area is known as the Maze and is considered by all (including the city watch) to be unsafe during the day and downright dangerous at night. The bulk of the city's poor live in the Maze in crowded tenements which stand 3 and sometimes 4 sagging stories in height. This section of town is located between the northern docks and the outer wall of the city itself. Rumors tell of a series of tunnels that connect forgoten cellars and passageways beneath the Maze (and the rest of the city), but few care to explore for fear of running into something best left sleeping from an age gone by.

OOC NOTE:
    For those who recognize the names and places (Vulgar Unicorn/One Thumb/the Maze) I am using names from the Thieve's World books/suplements. Do not infer any meaning from those sources as I am just using the names for easy generation (although some might show up as NPCs if they look hard enough ).
    OOC NOTE2:
    Please begin by describing your character so that you may get to know each other better, you have all been gathered by your host in a "private" chamber at the 'Unicorn to discuss an upcoming job (yes, it's cliche but it gets the story started).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E]Rooftops and Alleyways of Westgate

Gan Athine

An elvish figure takes a seat in one of the chairs in the private room. He is clad in a worn tunic, traveling pants, leather boots, and a hooded cloak, all bearing the same deep green and amber color scheme. His skin tone and tattoos identify him as an Eladrin, and his golden-blonde hair is flecked with strands of white; signifying either age or worry. At his hip is a small knife in a leather scabbard, and he wears a traveler's backpack, each pouch of which is closed and secured by several small knotted lengths of rope. He seems to be carrying no other weaponry, aside from the knife.
    He reclines in his chair and says not a word, opting instead to gaze about the room and inspect his surroundings.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 08:07 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gildin

Another elf, clad in drab leathers with two knives at his belt, entered the room. His black hair and quick stride contrasted with the seated Eladrin. Nodding, he moved to take another chair. Once seated, he seemed to relax a bit. "Gildin," he said simply to the other elf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

Gan turns to the other elf and inclines his head.
    "Gan. Gan Athine"
    He then continues to look around the room.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 08:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lastel "One Thumb" Shows you his toothy grin as he sets a tray of cups and a pitcher of wine on the table. You're almost distracted from his bestial appearance by his choice of clothing (bright red pantaloons, black knee high riding boots, a purple *open to the navel* shirt, a dark green belt with gold buckle, and all topped off by a wide brimmed blue hat with a large white feather).

Welcome Gentlemen, I'm glad that you could all join me this evening. Take some time to get to know one another and I'll be back with you soon *Lastel shoots a look over his shoulder* as I can. You hear a crash as he turns to walk back into the common room.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC Note:
    GAH!!

Gan

As the toothy barkeep leaves, Gan pours himself a small measure of the wine. He raises the cup, gives it a sniff, and then takes a small sip before placing his cup on the arm of his chair. He turns to address Gildin.
    "So, where do you come from?"
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 09:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Gildin

"The Dalelands originally, all over since. You?" Gildin said, pouring himself a full cup of wine.

8. - Top - End - #8

Johannes

A quiet rap on the door harkens the arrival of a dishevelled figure, dressed in what once would have been bright green and purple, now darkened by a coating of dirt and grime. A similar coating covers his face, through which you can barely see his green eyes sparkling.

"I hope I'm not late." He does a courtly bow, trying his best to look regal, but the grimy clothes and matted hair ruin the effect.

"Johannes,"
    he introduces, "Johannes Factotum. But you can call me Johnny."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-08-05 at 09:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Gildin

Pouring a cup of wine for the newcomer, Gildin said, "Nice to meet you Johnny. I'm Gildin. This is Gan."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

Gan nods and gives a small wave to the newcomer before giving Gildin his answer.
    "Alagrond, originally. My work makes me travel a lot, so I've been all over since as well. See, I do a lot of mercenary work, and a lot of my clients like to send me all over creation to finish the job. But their money's good, usually, so I can't complain. Coming here isn't that much of a change, just means that I know for sure where my money's coming from."
    He takes another small taste of the wine.
    "So, what's your story? What kind of work were you in before coming here?"
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 09:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Gildin

"Shipping. You know, the not exactly legal kind? I move things around without getting caught. I've got a cart and mule under lock and key locally, if we need to move anything too big to carry," Gildin said. Turning to Johnny, he asked, "How about you, Johnny?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Johnny

Taking the glass of wine from Gilden with a faint smile, he tips the glass at the men in the room. "Well met." He downs the wine in a mouthful.

Wiping his mouth, he takes a seat. "I used to be a bard," he responds to Gilden's question. "Then the spellweave collapsed. Who would have thought a bard get his musical aptitude from Mystra?" He pulls a broken piece of wood from his belt, turning it over in his hands. "All that's left of a past life..." His voice trails off.

After a moment he looks up at the others and smiles. "So now I do the other thing I'm good at." He pulls out a bag of coins and sets them down on his lap. As if seeing the grime on his hands for the first time, he laughs. "I think I should ask Lastel if he has any baths free."
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-08-05 at 09:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Yes, where did you get so... well, dirty? I don't suppose you were hiding in a sewer, or something?"
    He chuckles a bit at the irony inherent in his statement, as he has been in a number of sewers in the past himself, for various reasons.
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 10:23 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Johnny

"Eh, not hiding exactly. Running for my life would be more appropriate." He pours himself a glass of wine. "So there was this noble, an old friend of mine, just came into town, riding this beast of a stallion. I knew him well enough to know where he keeps his coins, but not well enough to ask him for some." He stands up and begins to act out the scene, beginning with his hand raised, plucking something from an invisible belt. "So there I was, mid-pickpocket of a man on a horse, when this kid recognises me from my past life. I turn around, not an easy thing to do while walking, pick pocketing and making small talk. So I trip, and make a grab to the closest thing I can. The nobles belt. He must have realised then what I was doing and made the horse bolt." He lurches forward, pulled by an invisible horse. "I would have let go but for fear of the horse trampling me I held on for dear life, dragged through the muddy streets. Until the belt broke. With my free hand, I grabbed the stirrup, but all that did was overbalance the saddle, causing both me and the noble to fall. So there I am, face down in the mud, when I hear this noble yelling at me to give his purse back. That's when I realised I still had the belt in my hand, purse attached. I was up like a shot and ran for the nearest sewer." He reclines in the finely upholstered chair. "Say what you like about the city planners, but the sewers are a lot easier to navigate than the Maze up here."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Don't I know it." Gan mutters under his breath to himself.
    "Quite the story, John. I'm afraid I don't have any exciting story like that to describe how I got here. Basically, I was approached by old One-Thumb. He was... shall we say, interested in my work and offered me membership with the Hands. Can't exactly refuse an offer like that, for a number of reasons, only the least of which being the good money. So, here I am."
    He takes another small sip of wine.
    "So, pickpocketing eh? Nice skill; should come in handy with whatever old One-Thumb wants us to do."
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-05 at 11:04 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Gildin

"After I brought my last load into town, Lastel asked me to stick around. Didn't say why, but he made the offer worthwhile," Gildin said.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The door opens and Lastel re enters the room, brushing at something clinging to his fine attire.
    Well it seems that's sorted. as he pulls up a chair at the table What we would like you to do is recover an item for us, it's but a small thing less than the size of my hand which you hope is true given the size of his hands there's only one problem. The man who has it seems to think that someone might want to steal it and has hired gaurds to accompany him while he does his business in the city. Lastel leans back and stretches causing the chair to creak ominously. It looks as if he will be finishing his business tomorrow and taking his leave of the city by ship so you will be pressed for time to get this accomplished. He has a number of appointments about the city tomorrow so this will be you best time to try and "obtain" the item.

Now you might be asking yourself, "why would Lastel be needin' 3 fine gentlemen as ourselves to do such a thing when someone could just tap the poor man on the head and collect it easily"? Well there's more to the story than just a quick cut and run will solve so for now we want to leave him unharmed. We'll leave it up to you as to how exactly you want to do this job as long as he doesn't come to harm.

Lastel goes on with the details of the gaurds that have been hired (4 mercenaries who look like they've seen their fair share of fights) and a description of the merchant. The item that needs to be obtained is kept on his person at all times (leather pouch on his belt). The item itself is a mirror measuring 6x4 inches so it's easily hidden once you have your hands on it.

OOC: This is not a stand up fight. You will need to come up with a plan to get the item away from the merchant without causing him unnecessary harm. Payment will consist of 100 GP each on completion of the mission (at which time you will turn the item over to Lastel for verification). The majority of his appointments will take place in the open market area of the city (south of the Maze but between the docks and a residential area) and tomorrow is a shopping day for the city (lots of traffic). Plan wisely and then I will give you a breakdown of the skill check required to pull it off (which we will then RP our way through one step at a time).

Hope this is what you've signed up for because you've all impressed me already with your introductions.
    You can use the room for the rest of the evening if you need to to get your plan in order, just call to one of my gehls if you need more wine. And you fine sir looking pointedly at Johnny may want to step out back and utilize the rain barrel, just ask Conor at the bar for a bar of soap. You now know what it would look like for a troll to wrinkle his nose. A good night to you all and good hunting tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

Gan ponders the job for a moment and then speaks up to his new comrades.
    "Well, let's see. If our mark is going to be in the Market on a shopping day, then the place is going to be very crowded, which is good for us. I figure if we can get close to him, Johnny can filch the pouch with the mirror and we can slip back into the crowd."
    He sits back and ponders another point.
    "Meanwhile, we may need a distraction to break his guards' vigil. I can do something about that."
    Gan punctuates his last sentence by gathering some of his fey power to his fingertip, causing it to glow with multiple colors.
    "We only need to avoid harming the merchant, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Gildin

"Well, distraction-wise, an overturned dung cart is tough to beat. I think I could arrange such a thing without too much damage to my cart or my mule," Gildin offered.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Good idea, less risky, and harder to trace as a distraction rather then a random occurrance. But what about the, well, the dung? Please don't tell me you just happen to have a cart's worth of dung on hand."
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-06 at 06:14 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Gildin

"I don't, but I'm sure the stable keeping my mule does. And they might even pay me to cart it away," Gildin said with a grin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC-It is highly likely that you would be able to obtain a cartful of dung without much difficulty. I wouldn't say that they'd pay you to cart it off (fertilizer?) but the stableboys wouldn't mind some help mucking the stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Gildin

"I don't, but I'm sure the stable keeping my mule does. And they might even pay me to cart it away," Gildin said with a grin.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Clever. How will we go about overturning the cart? And how might I aid in our job? Perhaps I can keep an eye on our mark, and prepare in case a fight breaks out?"

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Johnny

"Thankyou Lastel, I shall." With that Johnny disappears out the door. When he comes back a half hour later, the muck and grime is gone and you can now see, well, pretty much all of him, a small towel the only thing covering him up. "I hope you don't mind," acknowledging the 'skirt,' "I gave a few coppers to a kid to clean my armour while we planned." He sits back down in the chair, a relaxed sigh coming from deep in his lungs. "So what's the plan?"

"Hmm, the distraction is a good idea. Exactly how will it be used?" He rubs his chin thoughtfully. "My plan was to have someone try and pick pocket the guards first, planning to fail, and getting them chase you. With them out of the way, getting the mirror would be as simple as nicking a nobles purse." He pauses, then laughs, "Well, hopefully easier this time. But that does seem pretty risky, not assured the guards would fall for it, or if they'd all chase you. In any case, I know a decent escape route." He flashes a smile.

"If you like, I can distract the noble, start a talk with him, plant ideas. Get him to tell the guards what we want. Then when the guards are busy, I take the purse."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Hmm", Gan says.
    "That is indeed a possibility. However, there may be complications. We do not know much about this merchant, but what we do know is this: This man is either quite cautious, or paranoid. This mirror is obviously worth a lot to him, or he would not have hired guards to protect it. If he is just cautious, then it may indeed be possible to trick him into letting his guard down, especially if one of use approaches him in the guise of a customer. We may be able to trick him into dismissing the guards if we act both interested in his wares but turned off by the presence of his guards. He may be interested enough by the thought of a sale that he will let his guard down. However, if he is paranoid, he will be more interested in completing his business and leaving the city without taking any chances with his precious mirror. In which case it may not be so easy to trick him into dismissing his guards, and he may get suspicious if a random passerby starts asking questions."
    He sits back and gives it more thought.
    "We will most likely have to speak with old One-Thumb about just how cautious this merchant is. We should be able to combine the two plans we have here. Johnny, you can approach the merchant, while wearing my cloak, and ask him to see his wares, hopefully getting close to find the pouch. Meanwhile, I will be watching you, and Gildin can be driving his cart. Once you get close enough to the merchant, I will give a signal to Gildin, who will topple his cart. The spectacle should cause some of the crowd to react, hopefully distracting the merchant. At which time you, Jhonny, can filch his pouch and slip in among the crowd, disposing of or hiding my cloak as you do so. Then you can either blend in with the crowd and act normal, or head to your sewer escape. How does that sound? We will probably have to get more information from Lastel about what this merchant will be selling, if anything, but if all goes well, it should work. We just need to avoid a confrontation with those guards of his."

((OOC: Wow, that's a lot of text, sorry about that. It just came to me. Should I be using a easier-to-read color then sienna?))
    Last edited by Enlong; 2008-08-06 at 09:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Johnny

"A good plan, though I don't know how inconspicuous I can look in my armour. If you had seen it without all the mud on it, it really does stand out. I don't think I will need your cloak until after I make the cut. I find people are better disposed to you if you don't look all 'dark and mysterious.'"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I noticed Johnny no longer qualifies for the "jack of all trades" feat (he did, when I wanted to MC to wizard) so I took skill focus: thievery instead. Hope no-one minds.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2008-09-21 at 12:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"Good point. I can keep my cloak on hand until I see you cut, and I will then leave it behind for you as you run toward my position and attempt to blend with the crowd myself. We just need to make it easier for you to avoid notice after running."
    "The only potential problem with this is the fact that we don't know what exactly the merchant's business is. If he is not actually selling to the public that day; which is a strange idea on an open market day to be sure, then we will just look suspicious if we ask to see his wares. Also, even if the merchant is distracted by the cart, we still won't be able to steal the mirror safely if we can't get the guards to stop watching. So, we need to know two things: if and what the merchant is selling that day, and a way to get him to dismiss his guards, even if only for the time of the sale."

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Gildin

"Well, the cart could tip onto at least a couple of guards. That might get him to dismiss them. I figure a 'worn strap' on the harness could come apart as I'm driving near them with an 'overloaded' cart and a spooked mule. At the very least, the other two might be preoccupied making fun of their comrades for a moment or two," Gildin offered.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Gan

"That sound about perfect. That'll either get the merchant to dismiss his entorage, or the toppling cart could give Johnny the distraction he'll need to grab the mirror. We won't need to hold the man's attention for too long, just enough time to topple the cart while Johnny gets into position. I'll keep a watch on the situation from a few meters away, and Gilden, you should act normal, and not leave until you patch up your cart after the 'accident'. That is, of course, unless they catch on to you, in which case, run. Also, if we need to, I have a trick or two to help us escape if they catch on and give chase."
    "How will you make the cart topple at the proper time? I could help by snapping the strap from afar if that's what you need; but you probably have a less conspicuous method in mind."

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

Johnny

Johnny laughs heartily at the thought of the guards covered in manure. "If I will be approaching the merchant as a buyer, I would rather hang around rather than run off, to buy more time. Perhaps I could hand off the cut purse to Gan, who would also 'relieve' me of my purse. That way if he suspects you, Gilden, of having something to do with it, I can play victim and drag you off to the guards."