Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default this may be a stupid question

In "O-chuls' Razor", when the goblin shows up with the lampshade, what is being lampshaded (aside from lampshading)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: this may be a stupid question

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HanlonsRazor

Thats the point of the Razor in the title.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2008-10-23 at 05:38 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    In "O-chuls' Razor", when the goblin shows up with the lampshade, what is being lampshaded (aside from lampshading)?
    If you mean on the tower with the rift in the background, I'm pretty sure it's Honor Before Reason.

Edit: Or that. Or both.
    Last edited by Lokasenna; 2008-10-23 at 05:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

so it's because Redcloak is forgetting Hanlons razor? or because Hanlons razor is wrong in this case? and is the lampshade being lampshaded just the title? or am I just a blithering idiot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Redcloak is hanging a lampshade on that fact that the Sapphire Guard (stupidly) swore to forgo affairs in the other Gates, and, as such, have no known of the other Gates, such as what defenses they might have. This was not to prevent people who wanted the knowledge(Redcloak) from getting it, but because of the stupid oath Soon made. If they hadn't sworn that oath, they would have been free to protect the other gates and prevent most of what's going on with Redcloak and Xykon, or at least know about it. Honor Before Reason also falls into this.
    Last edited by Lokasenna; 2008-10-23 at 06:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post

Ugh. Terrible.

Ochul's razor is a reference to Occam's Razor.

From Wiki:

Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", roughly translated as "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity". An alternative version "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" translates "plurality should not be posited without necessity". [1]

This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
    Ugh. Terrible.

Ochul's razor is a reference to Occam's Razor.

From Wiki:

Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", roughly translated as "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity". An alternative version "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" translates "plurality should not be posited without necessity". [1]

This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.
    Which O-Chul then demonstrates when he asks Redcloak if having multiple mental blacks to prevent people from knowing the Gate's location is more likely than him simply not knowing anything.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post

I'm pretty sure the title actually refers to Occam's Razor. [EDIT] As I see has just been pointed out.

The lampshade is just there to point out that once again Team Evil are resorting to villainous clichés, most notably in this case being the ultimatum to O-Chul. I think Redcloak's "Just hang it anywhere" refers to the fact that the clichés have become so abundant that the lampshade could be used to decorate any given one of them.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2008-10-23 at 07:10 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Seems to me to be something Rich Burlew put in just to make us all discuss it, when really, it means nothing. Discuss.