Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default this may be a stupid question

    In "O-chuls' Razor", when the goblin shows up with the lampshade, what is being lampshaded (aside from lampshading)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Querzis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    probably somewhere in the universe...
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HanlonsRazor

    Thats the point of the Razor in the title.
    Last edited by Querzis; 2008-10-23 at 05:38 PM.
    In memory of lord Shojo

    Avatar by Miss Nobody

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by tribble View Post
    In "O-chuls' Razor", when the goblin shows up with the lampshade, what is being lampshaded (aside from lampshading)?
    If you mean on the tower with the rift in the background, I'm pretty sure it's Honor Before Reason.

    Edit: Or that. Or both.
    Last edited by Lokasenna; 2008-10-23 at 05:38 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tribble's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    so it's because Redcloak is forgetting Hanlons razor? or because Hanlons razor is wrong in this case? and is the lampshade being lampshaded just the title? or am I just a blithering idiot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Redcloak is hanging a lampshade on that fact that the Sapphire Guard (stupidly) swore to forgo affairs in the other Gates, and, as such, have no known of the other Gates, such as what defenses they might have. This was not to prevent people who wanted the knowledge(Redcloak) from getting it, but because of the stupid oath Soon made. If they hadn't sworn that oath, they would have been free to protect the other gates and prevent most of what's going on with Redcloak and Xykon, or at least know about it. Honor Before Reason also falls into this.
    Last edited by Lokasenna; 2008-10-23 at 06:01 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HanlonsRazor

    Thats the point of the Razor in the title.

    Ugh. Terrible.

    Ochul's razor is a reference to Occam's Razor.


    From Wiki:

    Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", roughly translated as "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity". An alternative version "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" translates "plurality should not be posited without necessity". [1]

    This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    ClericGirl

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
    Ugh. Terrible.

    Ochul's razor is a reference to Occam's Razor.


    From Wiki:

    Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar, William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", roughly translated as "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity". An alternative version "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate" translates "plurality should not be posited without necessity". [1]

    This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.
    Which O-Chul then demonstrates when he asks Redcloak if having multiple mental blacks to prevent people from knowing the Gate's location is more likely than him simply not knowing anything.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Nimrod's Son's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Quote Originally Posted by Querzis View Post
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HanlonsRazor

    Thats the point of the Razor in the title.
    I'm pretty sure the title actually refers to Occam's Razor. [EDIT] As I see has just been pointed out.

    The lampshade is just there to point out that once again Team Evil are resorting to villainous clichés, most notably in this case being the ultimatum to O-Chul. I think Redcloak's "Just hang it anywhere" refers to the fact that the clichés have become so abundant that the lampshade could be used to decorate any given one of them.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2008-10-23 at 07:10 PM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: this may be a stupid question

    Seems to me to be something Rich Burlew put in just to make us all discuss it, when really, it means nothing. Discuss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •