New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default When does my player not need to breathe and such with the Vampire progression? 3.5

Hey,

I have a player with the Vampire template who is taking it using the racial progression rules (see below). What I am confused about is when the player becomes Undead (Deathless in this case), which means he will no longer need to do such things as breathe or eat. My campaign will be taking an aquatic seafaring turn as of the next game, so I know it will come up. Also, at what point would things such as turn undead, garlic, mirrors, and holy symbols begin being effective against him?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

Thanks in advance for any help!
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: When does my player not need to breathe and such with the Vampire progression? 3.

Undeath: Upon reaching 7th level, a vampire gains the undead type, with all of its normal benefits and drawbacks
    There ya go!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: When does my player not need to breathe and such with the Vampire progression? 3.

However, I might add that, unless the base creature had a swim speed, a vampire cannot cross running water. If it did have a swim speed (mermaid, water orc, fish, etc.) it keeps it and happily crosses water to its unlifes content.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    There ya go!
    Wow...

I don't know how many times I read that article, yet still missed that. Thank you for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    However, I might add that, unless the base creature had a swim speed, a vampire cannot cross running water. If it did have a swim speed (mermaid, water orc, fish, etc.) it keeps it and happily crosses water to its unlifes content.
    Oh! Thank you for reminding me about that. I completely forgot that. I need serious improvement as a DM.
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    You might have to ignore this particular rule for this campaign. (My vampires never work this way, because it's a dumb weakness.) Just say "In my world, vampires can swim all they want!"
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

don't all creatures have a swim speed?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    don't all creatures have a swim speed?
    Nope. As I recall, it's like a climb speed. All creatures can climb (or attempt to), but those without a climb speed need to make some sort of skill check. Swim, for instance, makes you make a check every time you wish to swim. Pass it, you can move half your speed.

Creatures with a swim speed can automatically move their speed in water without making checks, gain a +8 racial bonus to the Swim skill, can always take 10 on a swim check, and can use the run action while swimming.

Something similar applies to climbing, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

if your Vampire is an arcane caster then Heart of Water (complete mage) (self only) grants a swim speed amongst its other effects.

In fact any caster on an aquatic mission would want Heart of Water.