New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Warlock PRC's

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Warlock PRC's

Hello Playgrounder's,

Question for you.

Warlocks when they take a PrC that has +1 caster level, Does that increase there dmg from Eldritch blast, as well as how many Invocations they have...

if so, then how does a wild mage (from Complete Arcane) work with a warlock..

And are there any other nifty warlock/PrC combos that are interesting..
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock PRC's

You are confusing the term "caster level" (CL, which is modified by wild mage) by prestige class levels that "advance spellcasting by one level" (which affects warlock invocations known and eldritch blast damage).

There aren't all that many good warlock prestige classes (other than Hellfire 'Lock) but warlock/20 is solid.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

so increasing caster level does absolutly nothing for a warlock...

If thats the case then What is the point of taking fey heritage from Complete mage... it give +1 CL and DC to your warlock invocations.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    so increasing caster level does absolutly nothing for a warlock...

If thats the case then What is the point of taking fey heritage from Complete mage... it give +1 CL and DC to your warlock invocations.
    Caster level still affects spell resistance checks and whatnot...and why are you implying that +1 DC is useless?
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Caster level still has its uses... For instance, if you're using one of the dispelling invocations (Devour Magic, etc.), your caster level goes into determining how likely it is that you'll succeed. Likewise, increasing the DC of your invocations will help for any invocation (including some eldritch blast shapes or essences) which has a save.

That said, though, I think the primary point of Fey Heritage is that it's a prerequisite for a bunch of other feats which are more useful.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Warlocks have a lot of invocations that are based are save-or-suck, and the DCs are somewhat low. Increasing CL would increase those save DCs. The Wildmage could, conceivably, really really amp up your ability to charm enemies or entangle them and junk.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

I see your point burley... I guess that makes sense...

is there any way to make your eldritch blast dmg increase... similarly to increasing your caser level for blasty spells as a wizard/sorc?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    I see your point burley... I guess that makes sense...

is there any way to make your eldritch blast dmg increase... similarly to increasing your caser level for blasty spells as a wizard/sorc?
    Look into Hellfire Warlock. For the "low low price" of one point of constitution damage, you can add (I think) 2d6 to your blast.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

yes i was thinking besides hellfire warlock...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    Well, Warlocks have a lot of invocations that are based are save-or-suck, and the DCs are somewhat low. Increasing CL would increase those save DCs.
    Unless I'm missing or forgetting something, this isn't actually true.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if I recall correctly, any PrC that gives "+1 of existing class" still increases your Blast damage. There's also the Chausible of Fell Power (Magic Item Compendium) that gives you extra d6's.
    As far as getting bonus invocations, you're a little hosed. In my opinion, on any level sorc can get new spells from the PrC, a warlock should be able to get an invocation then, too. However, on PrCs that advance previous casting classes every other level, you would only get new invocations ever 4 levels, which is a huge waste. I think my favorite PrC to throw a Warlock into is Mindbender, but you need that iffy Apprentice feat, that many DMs don't allow.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Unless I'm missing or forgetting something, this isn't actually true.
    Okay... instead of "a lot", I should have said "a few." And instead of "save-or-suck," I should have said "save-or-be mildly inconvenienced." Point is, between the few books that actually DO support invokers, there are a handful of DC-based invocations.
    Last edited by Burley; 2008-08-08 at 03:21 PM.
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Warlocks have a lot of invocations that are based are save-or-suck, and the DCs are somewhat low. Increasing CL would increase those save DCs. The Wildmage could, conceivably, really really amp up your ability to charm enemies or entangle them and junk.
    I never really thought warlocks had low DCs. It's 10 + invocation level + Charisma mod + miscellaneous, right? No different from a sorcerer casting a spell of the same level.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

13. - Top - End - #13
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I'm fairly certain that classes that increase your Arcane spellcasting also increases your Eldritch Blast/Invocations known.

I believe it's in the description of the Warlock itself.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay... instead of "a lot", I should have said "a few." And instead of "save-or-suck," I should have said "save-or-be mildly inconvenienced." Point is, between the few books that actually DO support invokers, there are a handful of DC-based invocations.
    I meant that CL isn't factored into DC.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

If you're willing to dip into Monk (and why would you be?) you can always go into Enlightened Fist. Suddenly (assuming you take that invocation that lets you do this with your weapons), you're doing Unarmed Strike + Eldritch Blast + EF Ablilities (like making your hands do fire/electricity damage). I forget when, but a friend of mine was toying around with doing this as a Lv. 10 character and figured out he'd be doing Unarmed Strike + 8(ish)d6 per smack?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Repelling blast punch + imbue with fire = FALCON PUNCH!!!
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

There always a cheap way to go. Bloodlines. bloodlines count as a class level in all classes you have for any calculation of character features, things like caster level which are directly related to the class in question(wizard, warlock), but not class dependant like "you gain X at Y level", but it does work for you get 1d6 per 2 class levels. This works for the hellfire warlock. Lets say you take 2 levels in bloodline then take 1 level in hellfire, it hellfire blast is directly related to the character's hellfire class levels. you take 1 level in hellfire and you automatically count as having 3 levels thus 6d6 for 1 point of con. It's a cheap way of doing it. Please slap me if I'm getting this totally wrong.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

*smacks* Not wrong(hence no slap), but confusing. Take 3 levels of Hellfire Warlock, then any bloodline levels immediatly afterwards will count as Hellfire Warlock levels for purposes of calculating how much hellfire you have. So, 3 levels of HFW, 2 Bloodline levels, means your hellfire damage is calculated as if you had 5 levels of HFW(even though there is no 4th or 5th level of the class), hence 10d6 damage for 1 con point. Smell the gouda.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly, since most PrC's have specific 'must be able to cast x level spell', warlocks don't qualify for most PrC's. I think Acolyte of the Skin only requires 'arcane spellcaster x level', which the Warlock WOULD qualify for, but since it's only a 1/2 caster progression PrC, it sucks too badly to consider.

Hmmm... I smell a Homebrew cooking... I'll start working on useful Warlock PrC's.

I did make one earlier, although it was considered to be a bit powerful. It sucked up like three Blast Shape Invocations, including one Greater, which really sucks, considering you can only apply one at a time, so you're wasting a couple of Invocations to qualify, but gave a bunch of cool 'blasting' stuff, including a Force Blast invocation which turns your blast into a Force effect, and additional blast damage. The capstone ability was making the Eldrich Blast count as a ranged weapon that can be used in part of a full attack. Basically, Eldrich Glaive, only not melee.

What kind of PrC's do we want to write up for Warlocks? I mean, should we alter current Arcane PrC's to allow Warlocks? Change any 'must be able to cast x level spell' to 'must be x level arcane caster'? Of course, specific spell requirements (such as the Divination spells requirement for Loremaster) would still screw them out of a bunch, but it would expand what they could qualify for.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    What kind of PrC's do we want to write up for Warlocks? I mean, should we alter current Arcane PrC's to allow Warlocks?
    It wouldn't hurt play balance at all to allow warlocks normal entry to pretty much every arcane caster prestige class. For instance, if the prestige class says you need to be "able to cast at least one summoning spell of 3rd level or higher" (Alienist, CArc), having a supernatural ability that has the same effect should be a reasonable substitute for a warlock. Likewise, Elemental Savant, Fatespinner, Initiate of the Sevenfold Cheese, and Wayfarer Guide.

From Complete Arcane, entry is already allowed to Acolyte of the Skin, Blood Magus, Green Star Adept, Mindbender, Sublime Chord, Suel Arcanamach, and Wild Mage. Mind you, not all of these are all that useful for a 'lock...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A Binder Warlock Anima Warlock (Mage) or Ultimate Warlock (Magus) would be interesting.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-09 at 04:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    ...Green Star Adept...Mind you, not all of these are all that useful for a 'lock...
    Of course, GSA isn't all that useful for anything, much less 'locks.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adrian, human rogue