New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Wizards to Revise 4E GSL/SRD

Clickity click!

Quote Originally Posted by Linae Foster, D&D Licensing Manager
    “We recognize the important role third party publishing support plays in the success of the 4th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons. We have listened to the community and our valued colleagues and have taken their concerns and recommendations to heart. Our commitment to the health of the industry and hobby gaming lifestyle is reflected in the revisions to the Game System License.”
    So I guess something's coming down the pipeline...
    The Tenth Doctor and the TARDIS by Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Wizards to Revise 4E GSL/SRD

Interesting to see how accommodating they will be.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

3. - Top - End - #3

Well, this is unexpected.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, instead of referencing page numbers, we will now let you reference specific paragraphs on those pages.

Please note, we still do not want you to quote specific items from said paragraphs.
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I seriously hope your joking Lochar.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What about the "we can force you to burn all your books for no reason" clause?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    I seriously hope your joking Lochar.
    He is. Wizards hasn't released any information about the new licence yet.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    What about the "we can force you to burn all your books for no reason" clause?
    I would be surprised if that stays in there. It's the biggest problem from a business point of view.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Wizards of the Coast to revise GSL/SRD!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080811

Sorry if this has already been posted, I didn't see it though...

EDIT*

BAH! I need to learn to read, mods, please delete.
    Last edited by cybosage; 2008-08-11 at 08:51 PM.
    I cast Magic Missile

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Wizards of the Coast to revise GSL/SRD!

Interesting link with the promise of more to come. I will infer that 4E sales has fallen short of expectations despite the official PR to the contrary.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-11 at 09:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Interesting link with the promise of more to come. I will infer that 4E sales has fallen short of expectations despite the official PR to the contrary.
    I can't see how that could be possible. They were looking at doing a second printing just after the initial release came out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think this is interesting, but it's certainly impossible at the moment to use the announcement as some form of Chicken Little about 4e failing.

As a friend of mine pointed out, a lot of the third party material for 3e was rubbish. It will be interesting to see whether 4e follows that road or whether WotC can exercise some form of quality control/censorship.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Colmarr View Post
    I think this is interesting, but it's certainly impossible at the moment to use the announcement as some form of Chicken Little about 4e failing.

As a friend of mine pointed out, a lot of the third party material for 3e was rubbish. It will be interesting to see whether 4e follows that road or whether WotC can exercise some form of quality control/censorship.
    A lot of the first party material for 3E was rubbish, too. And second party (that being homebrew, I guess).

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Covered In Bees View Post
    A lot of the first party material for 3E was rubbish, too.
    Actually, my take on it would be that there was a steady decline in the quality of material released by WotC as the 3e product cycle continued and they ran out of ideas to publish (with some exceptions).

EDIT: For example, the 'Complete' books strike me as more useful and higher "quality" than the 'Races of' books.

Conversely, right from the very beginning, third party publishing was a very hit-and-miss affair.
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-08-11 at 11:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, my take on it would be that there was a steady decline in the quality of material released by WotC as the 3e product cycle continued and they ran out of ideas to publish (with some exceptions).

EDIT: For example, the 'Complete' books strike me as more useful and higher "quality" than the 'Races of' books.

Conversely, right from the very beginning, third party publishing was a very hit-and-miss affair.
    Compare Complete Champion to Races of the Wild. And how much good came out of Complete Warrior? Heck, PHB. WotC has been poor ever since the start of 3.0, and hasn't improved since. It's always been hit-or-miss.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Compare Complete Champion to Races of the Wild. And how much good came out of Complete Warrior? Heck, PHB. WotC has been poor ever since the start of 3.0, and hasn't improved since. It's always been hit-or-miss.
    Tome of Battle? Hit.
    Complete Champion? I consider complete jargon. Either overpowered or useless.

17. - Top - End - #17

This isn't really true. Complete Divine is pretty bad and it was early-ish. Meanwhile, there are a lot of late greats like the PHB II, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually think for the most part 3E got its best books right at the end of its life. XPH is the earliest book out of the -entire- 3E set that I enjoyed and up until it came out, I was playing D&D because my friends played D&D and if any of them had played White Wolf or GURPS or something I might have jumped ship.

XPH, CW (kinda obsoleted, but good when it came out), CAdv, PHB II, ToB, C Scoundrel, C Arcane, Races of Stone, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, Tome of Magic, Unearthed Arcana. Those are probably my pick of the 3E books, and I think the tilt of them is to late 3E.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Covered In Bees View Post
    This isn't really true. Complete Divine is pretty bad and it was early-ish. Meanwhile, there are a lot of late greats like the PHB II, Tome of Battle, and Magic Item Compendium.
    The three "good" books you mention are close to 4e "prequels" and as such sit a little uncomfortably in a 3e spectrum. I should have been clearer that I did not mean to include those books in my statement.

But yes, I admitted that there were exceptions to my generalisation.
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-08-12 at 12:41 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Races of Stone... Those are probably my pick of the 3E books, and I think the tilt of them is to late 3E.
    I was extremely disappointed by Races of Stone. The PrCs seemed too niche to me and the new races (especially the whisper gnome and the goliath) seemed to yell "oh crap, we need to find something cool!".

Just goes to show that "quality" is a subjective measure, I guess.

21. - Top - End - #21

Man, as far as I am concerned, Whisper Gnomes are the ONLY gnomes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

The three "good" books you mention are close to 4e "prequels" and as such sit a little uncomfortably in a 3e spectrum. I should have been clearer that I did not mean to include those books in my statement.

But yes, I admitted that there were exceptions to my generalisation.
    I'm of the opinion that MIC and PHB 2 were both firmly 3.5 product. Of course ToB was a 4e test, but I'm curious what you meant about the first two. Are you talking about MIC items having charges?

3.5 ran from July 2003, until (IMO) the release of MMV, which was July 2007(all the stuff that came after was crap or cheap ca$h-in. Correct me if you think otherwise. This makes 2006-2007 the "late period" of 3.5, again IMO.

Three great 3.5 inventions: Skill Tricks, Luck Feats, and Reserve Feats all came out of later product.

Something I just realized, looking at the chronological release list, does anyone else think Tome of Magic might have been a tester for new magic systems, just like Tome of Battle?
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    Something I just realized, looking at the chronological release list, does anyone else think Tome of Magic might have been a tester for new magic systems, just like Tome of Battle?
    I've actually still got my 2nd ed ToM and PO:Spells and Magic, though I'm missing the other books. What I don't have is recollection of how magic changed between AD&D and 3rd Edition. Can you give me hints what to look for?

EDIT: Oh wait, there was a 3e Tome of Magic too...
    Last edited by The New Bruceski; 2008-08-12 at 01:39 AM.
    Now with half the calories!

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm of the opinion that MIC and PHB 2 were both firmly 3.5 product. Of course ToB was a 4e test, but I'm curious what you meant about the first two. Are you talking about MIC items having charges?
    Officially they are both 3.5 books, but they are both pretty revolutionary in some respects and are clear precursors to the new direction 4e would take the game (specifically the re-costing of items according to usefulness and the preponderancy of items with "uses" but not "finite charges" in MIC and the reserve feats and character "builds" and a defender class in PHB 2). As such, when discussing quality of "3e" products, they sit a little uncertainly in the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Three great 3.5 inventions: Skill Tricks, Luck Feats, and Reserve Feats all came out of later product.
    I've addressed reserve feats above, but in relation to the others I only note that I was referring to "books in general" rather than "specific ideas in books". In other words "Complete Warrior" vs "Races of Stone" rather than "Relics vs Skill tricks". There's no doubt that there were some great ideas in some of the later books and some stinkers in earlier ones, but by and large in my (likely ignorant and ill-informed) opinion most of those ideas only surfaced once WotC started to experiment with ways to dump 3e. As such, they're not really 3e products.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywalker
    Short answer? Yes.
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-08-12 at 01:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I've no doubt about it. I'm pretty sure that between the two books the Tome of Magic and Tome of Battle were meant to present a kind of alternate set of core base classes that responded to the identified problems in the system. Martial classes are mechanically weak and somewhat dull to play: Tome of Battle gives them a more varied and powerful set of options to choose from. Magical classes have too much power and variety in their spells, but at the same time don't actually feel magical (thanks to too easy casting or whatever your favored complaint may be): Tome of Magic introduces more limited casters who also have some of the better default fluff I've seen in 3.5. They just significantly overshot the mark while trying to rebalance Magic, so while Battle has a pretty good adoption rate the other half of the project is largely ignored by the gaming public.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Short answer? Yes.
    Unfortunately, most everyone who received Tome of Magic did so under the shadow of the already-exising magic system. It really would have stood a better chance had they been released in more of a "vacuum". Then there was the lack of support (other than what was in that book) which really did it in (Bear in mind the massive amount of material available for the standard magic system at this point). I thought some of the material in that book was pretty good conceptually...though some of it needed some tuning.

I think one of the reasons ToB did so well was that there really wasn't much "competition" within the system. ToB's biggest competitor was "I close in and full-attack".
    Last edited by Crow; 2008-08-12 at 01:39 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Dammit. I feel like crying right now.

Now those companies who were going to continue 3.5 won't have a reason too anymore.
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Stuff
    Not sure why you quoted me, but I agree entirely with what you said.

When a gamer can already be Batman, why would they be interested in checking out Green Lantern?

Conversely, when ToB released, melee players were forced to be either Robin (Rogues and rangers) or Chewbacca (fighter, paladin and barbarian).
    Last edited by Colmarr; 2008-08-12 at 01:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Default Damn it! So much for 3rd party support of 3.5.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4news/20080811

I was hoping WotC's greed would allow for something similar to what happened with the PS3 vs the PS2 to happen with 3.5, but sadly they killed it off before it could happen.

Now that 3rd-party publishers don't need to keep publishing 3.5 material, I doubt any will.

p.s. Can anyone please tell me what the story behind the "fan site" mention is? Is it something akin to the 2.0 owner woman sending halt-and-decease letters and such for the slightest homemade thing created by fans? If so, is history repeating itself?
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Damn it! So much for 3rd party support of 3.5.

Don't count 3.5/OGL out yet. They may be coming up with a revised GSL, but we don't have any details on it yet, and I have every faith that WotC will manage to screw it up almost as badly as the original.

If you want to keep 3.5/OGL products in development though. I urge you to buy Pathfinder...it's just my opinion, but I believe that other publishers will be looking to Paizo to see how the market will stand for it. If Pathfinder really takes off, more OGL stuff will be developed. If no one wants to buy it (which I doubt, but more's always better), then they'll decide there's no market left and go somewhere else, be it 4e or an/other system/s entirely.

Remember, remember the ash and the ember
    That Perkins and company wrought.
    I know of no reason the Realmskilling treason
    Should ever be forgot.