New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Round-Robin Storytelling

Wow. Sorry, I've been having a mad hard time figuring out what next to say. I want to change chapters and settings, since I can hardly make them wandering through their little outpost dramatic. I think I'll just dive right in here without thinking my actions through properly.

---

"Let's go."

---

As Jaques, Fred and Fam'tala fought their way through the blinding rain and biting wind, they did not see the woman pass them by. Nor did they hear the promises she made to the shelter guards. Had they been a less determined group, they may have still been within hearing range of the shelter doors opening for the woman. But the part that happened next was done in silence. Only one person managed to speak at all after the woman had gained access to the shelter- and he only spoke long enough to tell the thing they had let inside from the storm of the three who had gone out, seeking their Oracle.

How could we have missed them? We should have sensed them. [irrelevant they must be found they must be stopped] How shall we track those we cannot sense? [they seek hope we shall find what they seek and we shall wait]

"I wonder if the town will be able to survive a few days without you there to run things, Jaques," Fred joked.

---

Sorry, Sophistemon... the baddies I had in mind, I really didn't want to meet the protagonists just yet. The way I run things, this would have been a short story. ;)

Speaking of which, we have three extra people who showed interest in joining the story before we started: Extra_Crispy, Papa Smurf Vaynor and Ivan McK. We do need a replacement for Mattaeu, after all.

BTW, thanks to everyone so far for their apparent unwelcome posting here, telling us how good y'all think we're doing here! Granted, I don't think Sophistemon wants too much clutter in the thread, but I like hearing feedback!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Extra Crispy fell off the face of the earth, and Vaynor has had something like 3 name changes in the interim, but... yeah, we could probably use an alternate. We'll just leave the choice up to Sophis and his dice.

Oh, and thanks to everyone so far for their feedback. We writer's thrive on commentary and ego feeding. It's more important than oxygen!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Banned

Ego's like oxygen,
    You get too much you get too hi-igh,
    Not enough and you're going to die,
    It gets you high.

4. - Top - End - #154

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    Ego's like oxygen,
    You get too much you get too hi-igh,
    Not enough and you're going to die,
    It gets you high.
    Can you take me higher?
    To a place where bliiind men seeee?
    Can you take meee hiiigher?
    To a place above the O3?

That may have sucked royally...

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

I did not fall off the face of the earth at least not physically. Mentally is a different matter. I am enjoying the story very very much and would love to join in BUT I continue searching for that BSN degree on monday and work part time. Time is something that I lack now and that will become non-existant in the very near future. As such I really cant accept an offer to join and then fail to ever type anything.

Either way I am really enjoying the story and it is one of the few things that keeps me awake as I sit here at my night job. Keep it up guys!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

You know, sooner or later, one of us is going to have to post something here.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun
    You know, sooner or later, one of us is going to have to post something here.
    Hey, I just went! Someone else's turn! I don't think it would really be in the spirit of the topic for me to write the whole story from here on. ;)

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned

I'll take it, but give me a bit. I have...schedule conflicts. With being happy.

9. - Top - End - #159

Look, it's been nearly six days since I last updated this story. Are we having difficulty writing it? Are we having difficulty deciding where to go next? I like the idea of Round-Robin storytelling, but if we're all as intimidated by the project as I know I am, let's talk a bit and think out where we want to go with this thing. At least that way we'll have some idea of what to write about.

I recall a dream sequence that was almost certainly going to come back up, I recall a kid sister who apparently died/was lost long ago, I recall a traumatic event that caused our hero to become a crippled herald, I recall a whole bunch of undefined terms (gift, boon, denizen hunter, herald). Shall we work through these a bit so we don't get scared of writing on them? PMs if nothing else, private forum if deemed necessary, or right out in public if it's easy?

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

Okay, I think it's time to move onto 'chapter' two, the point in which we've acknowledged that the plot has taken a step forward. I will write as if that is the truth, but voting may be done to strike it.

Wandering in the storm for even seconds at a time was considered dangerous. Going out for days was suicidal. That's why only Denizen Hunters did it. Jaques was no Denizen Hunter, at least not yet.

"Remind me again how we tell the Stormberries from the safe ones?" asked Jaques, clearly weary from traveling.

"You ask a Hunter, Jaques. You'll learn once you've gotten some standard training," replied Fred, as if it were a trained response. Jaques did not speak up again, and went back to eating his tiny meal of berries and a piece of rabbit meat.

"We were really lucky to find an untainted rabbit this deep into the Storm. This may be the last meat we have for another few days, so savor it," Fam'tala warned Jaques. He didn't need to be told twice. Fred looked like he was about to say something, but suddenly Fam'tala got a look on her face that would distress a battle-hardened soldier. "Oh, saints and heathens, we'd never survive." Jaques was simply confused, but Fred seemed to understand.

"How many and how big, 'tala? And, more importantly, how fast."

"I-it's just one," she stammered out, "one with the power of thousands. It's incredible, it's impossible, it's...no, no, there's gotta be something wrong with my senses. Nothing is that powerful, nothing on this continent."

Jaques wasn't sure what they were talking about, but he knew that he could definitely refute the last part.

"The ice bridges of the Formud Ocean were ocean-spanning last winter. Anything lighter than a blackwood could get across. Is it time to run now?"

The stream of curses that came out of Fam'tala's mouth surprised even Fred as she destroyed the encampment and picked up her stuff. "Run, it can't cover land as fast as we can until it's dark, and the sun rose not two hours ago!"

Fred and Jaques followed suit, following Fam'tala at a fast walk.

How can she tell where the sun-or anything is? Maybe that's her Gift.

_________

Brain...depleted...can't...imagine...ugh. *falls to the ground dead*

11. - Top - End - #161

Nice, Brickwall. Nice. Expanding our world is always appreciated.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed. Now, what can I do with this...

13. - Top - End - #163
    Banned

The ocean and blackwood trees need not ever be brought up again. I just wanted the menace to be even more menacing by also being alien, even to experienced warriors. Still, it is there if anyone decides to use it.

And, yes, I realize that ice bridges across entire oceans are quite impossible in the real world. Damn good thing this is a magical fantasy world, eh?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was really good!

And I'm sorry that I haven't been as attentive as I should be. I've had a lot of Summer Projects to work on and now school started up for me again. When my schedule settles down I'll be able to post more frequently.

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Brickwall
    And, yes, I realize that ice bridges across entire oceans are quite impossible in the real world. Damn good thing this is a magical fantasy world, eh?
    Isn't that how the Native Americans first came to North America?

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

No, that was a land bridge.

Relevent addition: I'll have my part up tomorrow... I hope.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Banned

Also it was:

Across a strait, the narrowest part of the entire ocean, or of any ocean.
    Only able to be formed during the post-ice age. It will never form again. Ever.

So, yeah, difference. And, like Shopie said, most of it was land.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I certainly blew that whole 'tomorrow' thing, and as I will be computerless for a few days starting in a couple of hours, I think it's best if we just skipped over me for now.

Nuts.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Banned

I think that the posting order has gotten mutilated to the point where the only rules are 'no double-posting' and 'keep the thread alive'. Don't be too upset.

20. - Top - End - #170

I'm really sorry about this, but I'm going to a backwards country with no Internet for the next ten days (until the 4th of Septemer). Actually, I'm going to Maine, but we have no internet there for some reason. Anyways, no contributions from my side for a bit. :'(

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

How can she tell where the sun-or anything is? Maybe that's her Gift.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It turned suddenly. From the chaos of the thousand voices in its form, one sentance kept coming up. "There walks one with food.There walks one with food.There walks one with food.Th---" It turned its concentration from the cacophany of its raging, chaotic mind, and focus outwards, the spirit focusing the many to search.

Then they all knew. There walked three, unsheltered, and still living in the storm. These would make fine additions to his collection of power. Once they were added to the Gestalt, they, no HE, would be even stronger than before.

With a stuttering start, The Spirit rolled his form in thier direction, and formed legs out of his fleshy mass. Two legs, four legs, a dozen, a hundred, a thousand legs began running across the wilds. Of course, with the sun beginning it's path over the sky, His control was limited... But once it set, and he regained control... The food would be HIS!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-
    Silent Ninja in the feud&&&&Thanks to Ceika for the Avatar.&&&&Winner of Monster Mash #1&&&&9/13/06

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Calling into question: snow? Last winter generally implies that this winter has yet to come, and so there is no snow yet. I call into vote that the seasonal weather should not include snow at this point.

23. - Top - End - #173

Yep, that's what you call a brainfart. :P :-[ IDK, i heard storm, and thought snow. Post modded.
    Silent Ninja in the feud&&&&Thanks to Ceika for the Avatar.&&&&Winner of Monster Mash #1&&&&9/13/06

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

It's a storm of chaos-lightning-stuff, not snow.

Anyway, I guess you just forced the next person to contribute to the actual main plot. Am I the only one who enjoys writing the main character stuff rather than going into random (or even not-so-random) sidetracks?

Waitaminute

Uh, Ivan, no offense, but why are you even writing this? I've seen no official posting that you're currently a storymaker (although Sophie mighta said something and I missed it).

25. - Top - End - #175

teehee.. silent ninja indeed. I never eally got accepted, but since the past posting order has been

you
    abd
    you
    phoe-kun
    you
    abd

and abd is going to be gone, i decided to suprise yall. I could delete it, but you started with five, and are down now...

26. - Top - End - #176
    Banned

Sorry, we don't look well on scabs. Get a Round-Robin membership and maybe we can talk business.

And that, like all other things, must be voted on.

27. - Top - End - #177

So be it. I put forward that this needs new members. Probably drawn from those who originally expressed interest.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

I, for one, do appreciate the thought of trying to jumpstart this. That said, I do not like the presumption that it would be fine to just jump in and write without asking. We may be a bunch of flakes incapable of sticking to a deadline (as all true writers are...), but there are still rules to be followed, and it wouldn't have killed you to have asked.

As for the specific contribution, I would just as soon see it stricken from the record... which it technically is already, seeing as it isn't an official submission. Not that it's poorly written or anything, but I think a paragraph from the random horrible beast's perspective is unneccesary. We already have so many filters due to the multitude of authors; if we continue to jump around and look at things through the eyes of every single being that shows up in the story, the reader will be lost amongst them...

29. - Top - End - #179

Meh, Doesn't bother me. I had thought to make him a recurring baddy. It's fine. I formally submit my application to this story.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Banned

Also, in a dark setting like this, I'd prefer not to have any sort of recurring villains have names like bad supervillains.

"Cower in fear, the Gestalt is here! Beware my combination of the abilities from two classes!"