New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default That Guy with a Halberd Constest

For those just joining, this is a story, poem, other verbose contest for the GwaH.

There is no maximum length of entry for the contest, but contestants must spoil their entry and are not allowed to include art.

At this point, the winner will have no reward but gloating rights (I.E. will not be used as the sole true story of GwaH)

Main contestants:
    • Ascenscion
    • Catseye2121
    • Lerky
    • Kool-Aid

Anyone who wishes to join the contest may do so up until the last of the original 4 contestants posts his/her entry. Do not reply to this thread until the all of the stories have been posted. Once they have been, the votes will be counted by post. Therefore you must clearly state who you are voting for.

If you wish to join post at:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t=86816&page=8

Happy Halberding
    Last edited by Graymayre; 2008-08-12 at 01:01 PM.
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: That Guy with a Halberd Constest

okay here's part 1 in a seris I call Oath of a Warrior. Part 1 is titled: The Halberd.
    Spoiler
    Show

The year is 1183. Azure City is on the brink of war… defeat is almost a certainty. Many warriors lost their lives, some of those warriors stories may never be told. This one’s story is told right now. I present the story of Ji (GwaH)

Ji was born in the year 1159. He was a farmer boy not far from the grand Azure City. Ji would look out to the grand blue city and always wondered if there was more for him than just farming.
    In the year of 1175 Ji’s father and him went to the city of Azure city to buy supplies with what little money they had, it was there that Ji saw a halberd. Not just any halberd though, this one was crafted with mithril which gave it a blue hinge. Ji’s father noticed him admiring the marvelous weapon he walked up to his son and said
    “Ji, you’ve hardly asked for anything in your whole life. I’ll buy you that halberd.” Ji was overcome with joy, but he knew the price of the weapon and knew money was hard for his family so he rejected the offer. His father just smiled and put his hand on his shoulder
    “Son… There is no wealth but Life” and so Ji recived the halberd and he practiced with it, relentlessly. Whether it was warm or cold, clear or raining, he practiced so not to disappoint his father.
    In the year of 1178 Ji was outside, at the front of his house, practicing with the halberd when a traveling hafling merchant noticed his hard work, determenation, and agile yet brute strength. H e approched Ji
    “excuse me, sir. I noticed you with that halberd and I wondered to myself what a skilled lad such as yourself was doing in this farm, when you could be working for the king’s milita.” Ji tooks this man’s words and invited him inside, so he could talk to his parents. After much discusion they decided Ji could go to Azure City and join the milita if he wished. Ji didn’t know what to decide, he’d always dream of going to the awe-inspiring city and he used the halberd to escape from the poor life of being a farmer but now that he had the chance he didn’t know what to choose. He chose to sleep on it, and either stay home or go to the city tomorrow. As he lay in his cot wondering, his father walked in and sat beside him
    “Son, I trust you should go to Azure City. When I saw the glint in your eyes when you saw that halberd I knew you were a warrior at heart, you should lead the legacy of our family into a grander future than we are now. Protect our country, protect our king, and protect…what we believe in.” Ji looked at his father with soulful eyes and agreed.
    It didn’t take Ji long to reach high ranks in the academy, he grew up strong with all the farm-work and practicing 3 years with the halberd made him even more skilled with the weapon. He was offered “official” Azure City halberds, even though his was very similar, but he still kept the one his father bought him, he never wanted that money to go to waste. Not long before he found himself kneeling before Lord Shojo himself, reciting the Warrior’s Oath…
    I believe the right to personal defense exists
    If I am forced to defend myself, loved ones or beliefs,
    Should I be attacked or have my principles violated,
    I am ready to defend myself with my weapons,
    The way of the foot
    And the way of the empty hand!
    This way, controlled by my mind
    And governed by my spirit is a skillful weapon
    Which can subdue, overpower, or destroy
    Depending on the forced combat situation.
    I will aggressively defend myself from any attack
    By using speed and precision
    And never doubt my determination
    To use my knowledge without hesitation or reservation
    This is the way of my teacher!
    This is also my way
    I am a warrior
    !

It was than 4 years of peace, he was just another face in the town guard. He guarded prisons, caught bandits, even guarded the king himself. But nothing would prepare him for the day the group known as the Order of the Stick came to the castle. I don’t think anyone, not even myself, was prepared for the falling of our best paladin, the death of a lord, and a war.

The year is 1183. Azure City is on the brink of war… defeat is almost a certainty. Many warriors lost their lives, some of those warriors stories may never be told. This one’s story has been told right now. I told the story of Ji, or at least part of it the rest…will soon come.

thank you for letting me be in this club and giving me a chance a write this. As I said I finished part 2 (and I'm not very proud of it) however I'll keep that hidden to build suspense rebuilding it. Oh and this may look a bit werid to viewers because tab doesn't work on the forums, sorry...
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-08-14 at 02:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Proud Activist of The Goblinoid Sub-Type
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre
    Let us all hail to the might of Lerky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsen
    Lerky, you have proven once again, that you are a being of tremendous might.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Dar
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

No Time For a story toaday but to start things off perhaps a Haiku?
    um how do you do spoilers again? heheh

Upon the wall
    He stood bravely , A Guy
    With a Halberd
    Last edited by DMfromTheAbyss; 2008-08-15 at 09:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'll try a haiku.

Guy with a halberd,
    Stoic, resolute, wishing
    He had some grenades.

5. - Top - End - #5

Guy with a halberd
    Attacks a giant dragon
    needs new halberd head.
    Spoiler
    Show

I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...

6. - Top - End - #6

well since everyone was doing some poetry I wanted to throw a little in:

No Title
    A great and magnificent man
    From a place similar to Japan
    Protected a city
    From an army with no pity

With a halberd in hand
    He protected his land
    His feats were amazing such as Spinning Halberd
    The army was hell raising!
    On the outside he was calm
    Even though on the inside he felt like a bomb

As the army pressed on
    He used the grace of a swan
    As he hacked at his foes
    He saw war had too many lows
    All his friends lay down dying
    And he felt like crying
    But it was the enemies fault
    So he continued his assault

That day he killed many a goblin
    He is remembered as a robin
    For his courage was like a song
    And his fighting was very strong

This my friends is the story
    Of glory
    The tale
    Sometimes told over ale
    The dead
    Inspired this thread
    And now all I can say
    Is we’ll always remember his way

rhyming is hard
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-08-21 at 10:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that you are a god o mighty Lerky,we must strat building a temple to honor and worship your name.[and art]

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Lerky,

Keep it going! I only hope I'm not going to bitterly regret becoming emotionally attached to the little fellow...

I am looking forward to the continuation...

Caractacus

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I have nothing to add but I loved that book caractacus! I also liked enders game graymare.
    avvie by Dispozition
    Spoiler
    Show
    proud member of the that guy with a Halberd fanclub
    long live that guy with a halberd!!!

10 sticks of dynamite hanging on a wall
    10 sticks of dynamite
    And if 1 stick of dynamite would accidently fall
    There'd be no sticks of dynamite
    And no bloody wall.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

tGwaH Limerick

Who is that guy, that NPC,
    Who fought the battle of Azure City,
    Who, with his trusty halberd,
    Defeated every last enemy, or so I've heard,
    What is his name, and who is he?
    ~~This post brought to you in part by HALEYINTRAINING~~

Spoiler
    Show
    Haley's Gone Catmuffin!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey! Being like Haley is harder than it looks!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I totally have trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know where they went, but they were Damsel itp gold and Autumn itp bronze.
    Credits: Kwarkpudding (x2) and rtg0922. You both rock!

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

So, is the name of the Guy with the Halberd "Higwit" or something like that? ;)

Just my 2 eurocent!
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

11. - Top - End - #11

I perfer to call him Ji. Which is chinese for Halberd

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    Lerky,

Keep it going! I only hope I'm not going to bitterly regret becoming emotionally attached to the little fellow...

I am looking forward to the continuation...

thanks it was a lot of fun to write so you can most likely expect more poems. Also Part two for OoaW is finished
    Last edited by Lerky; 2008-09-11 at 08:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I KNOW this thread is really old, but the GwaH one is still going and someone just posted a REALLY cool picture that really inspired my to write my own story (hopefully someone might like it and it will help revive this thing because I think it's a good idea.)

I Titled mine "Cry of War". It's a bit long though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cry of War

He woke up to smell the stench of the dead bodies. Hobgoblins and Azurites alike lied dead buried by the blue rocks. He got on his knees and began to get up; he took his hand to his right shoulder right away—he’d fallen on it. Where am I? It was dark around, and the pile of bodies made it harder to get on his feet. He felt around and found what he was looking for right by his side: his Halberd. He started walking around, listening with disgust to the echoing sound his metallic boots made when they stepped on the pools of blood. He was inside the outer fortifications of the city. Large rocks blocked the way. He knew the city’s fortifications well, better than anyone in fact. Every since he was a young boy he’d dream of being part of Azure City’s militia, an Azurite warrior. The entrance that was blocked was the only one in this block, he’d have to make his way to the southern block and rejoin the fight from there. He felt it was ironic, painfully ironic. When he was younger, he couldn’t begin to count how many times he’d sneaked into the militia’s headquarters and then wondered around the outer fortifications of the city; he even managed to get into Lord Shojo’s Castle once or twice. He’d been caught most of the time (he was even presented to a Paladin once for judgment on what his punishment should be) and every time he remarked how easy it had been to sneak in, that if a kid could get past anyone could. The guards always replied they had better things to do than look out for a mischievous kid. Indeed, the Paladin remarked that the city was the best fortified in the continent and that you would need a couple dozen thousand foot soldiers to get past them. Now the couple dozen thousand had trespassed, as predicted, the city’s defenses.
    He made his way through the darkness instinctively and saw a dim light. He knew that had to be the corridor that led to the southern block. Suddenly, he felt something grab his ankle. He gasped and fell against the wall. “Help me…please…help.” The sordid plea came through as an imperative order. He could feel the cold hand squeezing his ankle harder and harder. He bent and tried to see who it was. He heard the soldier breading and struggling to break free from the boulder crushing the larger portion of his body. “Hold still, I’m going to move the rock so you can escape.” He tried to move it again and again, doing his best to ignore the faint shouts of pain of the soldier. “Stop…stop…it’s no use.” He was sobbing along with his fellow warrior. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” “It’s ok, you must go back. Don’t let the city fall.” He heard how the slow panting of the wounded soldier began extinguishing, merging with the quiet of the dungeon. He fell on his knees and cursed it all. How could all this have happened? Lord Shojo is dead; the city is being invaded by an army that outnumbers us three to one; and a stupid group of adventurers trying to be heroes, who would sacrifice the city if it meant accomplishing their own goals, were in charge. “I swear I will avenge your death.” He grabbed the face of the warrior to swear an oath of vengeance, but when he saw whose face it was he was grabbing, he flinched and begun to cry. “Kenji…KENJI! You’re not dead, right? Answer me Kenji, wake up. WAKE UP!” He embraced his best friend, his brother, and, again, cursed all that could be cursed. The warrior drew his last breath, coughing blood: “R…Ryoma, you survived. I…am…glad…” Kenji let go of his legs and died with a smile on his face. Ryoma let go of the man who had been part of his soul for half his life. Why did you have to die Kenji? WHY?! The anger whirled within him as the last words his friend had spoken resonated in his mind.
    He had met Kenji before he enlisted himself in the militia, even before his father traded half that year’s harvest for his treasured halberd and told him it was his destiny to become a warrior. It had been a cold, rainy autumn afternoon. Kenji saved his life that day. His mother had died when he was young; and his father had nothing besides the family farm that barely made enough for them to survive. The day before, a harsh hail had ruined the storage house and every supply stored in it. My father had no idea how we were going to make it through the winter. “The Gods must hate us to have sent hail this early in the season.” He decided to sneak into the city’s storage building. I thought it couldn’t be much harder than sneaking into the militia’s headquarters. He chuckled and let out a soft laugh. He couldn’t believe he was remembering all this in the mid of a battle, but he couldn’t help it. He remembered the storage was heavily guarded that day. Must have been because of the hail. I bet they figured someone who suffered a fate like mine would steal it; no, I bet they knew someone was going to try to steal it. The dozens of guards didn’t stop him from trying. He got caught trying to break in, and the two guards that saw him would’ve killed him if Kenji hadn’t showed up. He knocked both guards out and unlocked the warehouse. “Take what you need, nothing more.” He helped me take the three sacks of corn that saved us from starvation all the way to the farm. “Where to?” “I live right outside the city, by the eastern walls.” He always wondered why no other guards had come, and why Kenji had helped him so readily. He found out later that Kenji was one of the leaders of a group that was planning to sack the city’s warehouse in the first place. I would’ve died twice if it hadn’t been for him. From that day forward, he became family. He had been going forward all this time and had finally reached the southern entrance. He stepped out, grabbing his trusted Halberd with his left hand and lifting it high. This is for you, Kenji. I swear I’ll live, and I’ll fight for our city until every single hobgoblin is gone. And with that, tears on his eyes, and a cry of war that was heard by every single Azurite, Ryoma charged back into the battle, refusing to dye, refusing to let the city fall.

So, I made a second part, "Charge and Fight". I hope someone else regains interest in this beside me.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge and Fight

16…17…18…19…The blade of his weapon was soaking in blood. The metallic gray was now indistinguishable, and it appeared its color was, indeed, a morbid pale red. The scene was shocking. Hobgoblin bodies were scattered around, and were beginning to pile. “They’re falling back! I can’t believe it!” I can. This is only the first attack wave. The larger portion of the army has stayed behind; I don’t want to think about what will happen when they decide to make their actual attack. If a couple hundred of us die is just a bonus, but their couple thousand casualties were shrewdly calculated—soulless, but effective, they were meant to weaken the fortifications and tire our men. The last hobgoblin disappeared behind the battered wall. The northern block had sent for reinforcements, the damage on the fortifications there had been as been in this part and enemy forces were regrouping, it seemed. Not very many stayed to guard the southern breach on the wall. “We won! Take that orange scum!” The soldiers were alert, but relaxed. We haven’t won anything. “Keep in mind this was only the first part, the second wave will soon come and it will be three times as bad.” He was all too aware of the enemy’s strategy by now. “I would argue, but your conclusion appears to be correct.” A hand tapped his shoulder. He turned and saw a fellow soldier pointing at the top of the stockpile of rocks that the destroyed wall had left. Hobgoblins were amassing and preparing to charge. Is this the second attack? No, too fast. They must have regrouped like they did in the northern entrance. “Send for reinforcements. If I’m right, these are only the leftovers of the first wave.” He rounded up the soldiers that were there quickly. “I have a plan.”
    Hundreds of hobgoblins raced down to attack the Azurites. They were greatly outnumbered, but reinforcements would arrive soon according to popular hope. Ryoma looked them fiercely, and began running towards them without hesitation. The hobgoblins more than halved their pace the sight before them. A single warrior was charging against them, the rest were immobile. He wielded his halberd in a circular pattern, creating momentum. Circle right, circle left, circle right, circle left. The sharp whistling of the weapon drilled into the invaders ears and further slowed their march. Ryoma advanced even more decisively, for he knew that if his opponent was truly cruel, he wouldn’t have sent more than one or two officers to lead. He smiled. He was about to breach into a mass of hundreds of hobgoblins; perplexed, hesitant hobgoblins with no leader, true, but the move appeared suicidal nonetheless. Among the undistinguishable mass, a voice shouted “CHARGE!” and the invaders regained their pace—though it was already too late. Ryoma clashed alone with them and pierced into the orange mass of soldiers.
    I will charge alone, as you, my fellow Azurites, stay in the back. The hobgoblins will be startled and uneasy, and will reduce their pace as begin swinging my halberd. I will make it whistle as hard as I can, and they will reduce their march even more. They did. They will restart their charge, hopefully after I have gotten close enough. I will clash head on with them, breaking their lines, taking advantage of the momentum and killing a few. He did. I will fight towards a corner, and they will refocus on me and follow.They did. They will circle me and will try to take me, but they won’t be able to get to me. They couldn’t. There will be too many trying to get to the same point at the same time, and my halberd’s reach will take care of any that come through. At this point I’ll probably be wounded. He was. I will be able to hold them off just long enough for you to make your move. You will circle them, shields ahead, and will charge. You will attack at the same time in a continuous line, and they won’t be able to react in time. They weren’t. Ryoma was on his knees against a corner, fighting with all his might any hobgoblin that would step out of the orange mass. He could barely keep focus. He’d been stabbed on the torso more than once, and had his right arm and leg were bleeding. 87…88…89….Finally the orange mass began to turn in chaos. His fellow Azurites were advancing steadily, shields first, sweeping what remained of the cornered enemy. Many of them appeared to just have realized they weren’t fighting a single man. As they tried to fight back, the bodies of their dead comrades created a barrier between them and the Azurites and prevented them from doing any real damage to the soldiers.
    Just like that, the leftovers of the first wave were done-for, and the Azurites could claim their first true victory of the day. Only a few isolated troops and the piles of orange flesh remained. All that was left now was to wait for the second attack wave, and the culmination of the War. Ryoma sat, anxious, and began to treat his wounds. One hundred, not a bad number. I guess I beat you to that one Kenji. I never thought that any of us would ever keep to that bet. He looked at the sky and smiled. It was the very day after I got my halberd, remember Kenji? I nearly died when I found out my dad had traded half the harvest. “You’ll be the best warrior there ever was, and don’t you forget it.” You told me that I would have to beat you first, remember? “Well, if you’re so tough, why don’t we bet on it? The first one that manages to kill a hundred warriors in a day will be declared the best of us.” “Killing, huh? Don’t you want to have a simple duel instead?” “I couldn’t fight you Kenji, I like you too much. I’d rather have the bet.” “Well, then, I promise you I won’t lose, kid.” “Ha! I promise I’ll win; and I’m not a kid!” He began to cry, a quiet rumble could be heard in the distance, growing louder and louder. How silly, I really never thought we would do it, but I guess destiny has a cruel way of making us keep out promises.
    Last edited by Niesra; 2009-03-02 at 08:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm sorry that I became so detached to the GwaH scene I helped create. You know how it is with life.

I'll be checking here more often, it looks like the contest may need to be ressurected. If I get enough volunteers I'll help it back up.

I assume Niesra would want to be part of it.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has be unduly resurrected. Please do this in the existing GWaH thread.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex