Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: somthing wrong

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

confused somthing wrong

my elven cleric called X was rasied by lizardmen ( at the age of 10 he was lost alfter his village was attacked by orcs, some lizardmen found him with a rattel that looked like an egg thier god's holy sybol and as thier phrophecy fortold he would do great things so their high preist rasied him as a cleric at the age of 103 he sneaked out of the tribe after he saw he was not a lizardman, he went to the city andwas sent with the fighter and the monk to colanise the north) and the monk has a heart symbol

so what do we find a dead lizardman lizardman with a silver heart around his neak

any idears on what will happen next and what is going on
    Last edited by xelliea; 2008-08-17 at 04:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: somthing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    my cleric was rasied by lizardmen and the monk has a heart symbol

so what do we find a lizardman with a siver heart around his neak

any idears on what will happen next
    Captain Planet?

Er, seriously, having a little trouble understanding (is that severed heart or silver heart) and that is -not- enough context by any stretch of the imagination.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, but in the first place, I have no idea what your post is about.

Can you make it a bit clearer?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Just so you're aware, D&D (especially 1eAD&D like you're playing) isn't a unified game. The campaign you're playing has nothing to do with with anyone else's game. You can't go out on the web and look up how to beat the quest that you're on, or how to win fights unless you give extremely detailed information to explain what is going on. You can't just throw out a couple of details of your campaign and expect to get any meaningful advice on what to do.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2008-08-15 at 04:52 PM.
    Kungaloosh!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

...unless you are playing a published module.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    And the DM follows it perfectly. The few times I've used published modules I have altered them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    And the DM follows it perfectly. The few times I've used published modules I have altered them.
    Indeed. Personally, I tend to just "play the module", mainly because if I am using one it is because I was too busy to prepare for the regular game, but I know a lot of people use modules chiefly for inspiration or customise them to fit in with their campaign. All laudable approaches.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Stating it clearly - it's nothing that we can say, as we have no idea what's in your DM mind. And what you wrote really isn't any popular trope or something.

And, BTW, 103 years is quite a long time for realising that oneself isn't a lizardman.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps your character's main concern should be not dying of old age.

So what race is your cleric? You didn't actually say.
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-08-15 at 05:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Perhaps your character's main concern should be not dying of old age.
    You never know, he could be an elf or something.

But I agree. Even elves aren't dumb enough to not notice that for 103 years.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

11. - Top - End - #11

Indeed. Personally, I tend to just "play the module", mainly because if I am using one it is because I was too busy to prepare for the regular game, but I know a lot of people use modules chiefly for inspiration or customise them to fit in with their campaign. All laudable approaches.
    Oh, I can understand that. I just have this palpable fear that someone will notice that I was in such a panic I hit DriveThru RPG or Wizards.com for a module so I -must- change the module so they will never know.

:D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Son: Hello father. Are we going to go hunting today?
    Father: Sit down son. It's time we have a chat.
    Son: What about, father?
    Father: Son ... it's time for you know ... you're not a lizardman.
    Son: WHAT?! Father, is this some kind of joke?
    Father: No, son, it's not.
    Son: So ... so you've been lying to me this whole time?
    Father: Umm, well, we kind of thought you'd pick up on your true nature by now.
    Son: And how would I do that?! I've been raised as a lizardman my whole life; why would I think I was any different?
    Father: For one thing, you have pink skin. And hair.
    Son: What if I have a rare medical conition that keeps me scaleless?!
    Father: You can't eat any of the same foods that we do.
    Son: I have a finicky palate.
    Father: You're warm-blooded and don't lay eggs.
    Son: Maybe I'll grow into it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't get me wrong, I know some species are like this.. but I don't think the son can be faulted for his inability to lay eggs.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

If a player comes up with a background story, in which his parents/family/whatever are slain by orcs, I ask him/her to rewrite it! Too much of a cliche!

15. - Top - End - #15

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    If a player comes up with a background story, in which his parents/family/whatever are slain by orcs, I ask him/her to rewrite it! Too much of a cliche!
    If the orcs are in your world and you didn't change their demeanor much, there will be always survivors from orc attacks and villages will always get sacked by orcs.
    Around here I have a very responsible position. Every time something goes wrong I'm responsible.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hurlbut View Post
    If the orcs are in your world and you didn't change their demeanor much, there will be always survivors from orc attacks and villages will always get sacked by orcs.
    I'm not doubting the logic of such people existing. I'm just saying "Please! You can do better than that!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    You never know, he could be an elf or something.

But I agree. Even elves aren't dumb enough to not notice that for 103 years.
    I'm not sure.
    I mean, Elves.

On the other hand, he could be a Kobold or other scaly race. Less likely to notice the small differences.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm not doubting the logic of such people existing. I'm just saying "Please! You can do better than that!"
    To whom? The players or the orcs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

103 years and still at Int 3. Sad.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    To whom? The players or the orcs?
    The Orcs.
    I mean, considering the number of orphans, they must miss half of any given village!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, there's a lot of ways to handle published modules. One of the big decision points involves the inevitable town that's featured in the thing that the adventure is based out of. Whether or not you insert that town into your campagin world or modify the adventure to fit a previously-existing town is pretty much just the DM's call.

Also, there's the possibility of a DM using the encounters from a module as-is but changing the reason why you're there. It might still be a collapsed dungeon full of goblins or whatever, but maybe you're there because they stole something from the town or because they kidnapped someone or because your characters are racist jerks or any number of possible other reasons.
    The OmegaDex, the complete index to just about everything related to Star Wars Saga Edition.

"Waspinator not want to be destroyed! Waspinator has plans!"
    -Waspinator, Transformers Beast Wars

"When was it that the twerps were chosen for this mission?"
    "It was when the mission became scary!"
    -Team Rocket, Pokemon

"It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."
    -Dragonmech designer

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    The Orcs.
    I mean, considering the number of orphans, they must miss half of any given village!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I make my characters orphans as self-defense. I have a DM that will use anything you tell him about your character against you, so I make sure to give him nothing, and that has become automatic for me now. Though I never have the family killed. It's usually just disease/starvation/living in a midevil time period without good medicine. My characters are usually adults, so it's not unheard of for their parents to have died, and with the usual infant mortality rate, no siblings is not uncommon. It's only when you look at my gaming as a whole you notice that none of my characters have any potential hostages for the GM to use. At all. Just in case he decides to be a bastard to me that session.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Regardless of the point about modifying modules, though, it doesn't look likely that the DM is following a module (at least, not for whatever this situation is), because it sure looks like, whatever is going on, it involves the backstory xelliea made up himself.

As for "discovering he's not a lizardfolk", that could also mean "discovering that it's relevant that he's not a lizardfolk". Like, maybe, he just hit puberty (at whatever age that happens for whatever his real race is), and is suddenly realizing that none of the female lizardfolk are interested in him.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

In a convention game with pre-generated characters, I was handed a half-elf to play, and told that I could not change my race on grounds of "Extreme wussiness".

So, I gave him a backstory where his poor village was looted and burned by a rampaging tribe of aristocratic, snooty, pointy-eared, tree-hugging hippy-elves, and that he was the unfortunate offspring of the actions the elves took that night. That all his life he had been shunned and ostracized from this farming village due to his frailty and effeminate features. That none of the other lads of his village would ever let him join in their sporting events, and the frequent shame he brought upon his family, by demanding to exercise his hereditary cultural practices of playing the Lute, and composing ballads.

You know; wholly subverting the whole "Half-orc" archetype backstory.

...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

Good times.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

Nothing to contribute to this thread but...Can I sig that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

i thought you would know that only elves can live to be that old

i took him a few years to manage to escape

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swok View Post
    Nothing to contribute to this thread but...Can I sig that?
    You certainly may.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by xelliea View Post
    i thought you would know that only elves can live to be that old

i took him a few years to manage to escape
    Well, other races can live to be that old and older. Right out the PHB, Dwarves don't reach venerable age until 250, gnomes at 200, half-elves at 125, halflings at 100 but live 5d20 years after, so they reach, at the minimum, 105 before dieing of old age.

Then, if you take a look at the XPH, you're looking at 250 years for duergar, 120 for half-giants, 220 for Maenads, 120 for Xephs, and a titanic 1000 years for Elans.

So, we really had no idea what race you were, as those are only a few options out of so many more.

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGuy

Elans got errata'd. They never die of old age.