New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Guns in D&D (3.5)

This has probably been done, and is probably in an actual splat book somewhere, I just can't find it. If it has, point it out to me! Anyway...

Handcannon-

The handcannon is a two handed exotic ranged weapon. This weapon is, while sharing the name, almost completely unlike a cannon in every way. Created by the [race]'s of [place of origin], this weapon is devastating to it's enemies.

{table=header]Cost|Damage|Critical|Range Inc.|Weight|Type
    1000 GP|3d10|x3|100 ft|15 lbs|Piercing[/table]

Firing the handcannon is simple. After a quick sight down the barrel, pulling the trigger back releases the hammer, which - etched with a special magical rune - triggers a burst of energy that flings the bullet out towards the enemy.

The handcannon can fire one shot before needing to be reloaded. Reloading the handcannon is a simple affair - merely dump the bullet down the barrel. However, in order to fire reliably it also requires a quick wiping down of the inside of the weapon. All of this takes a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Ammo for the weapon is also expensive, costing nearly 20 gp a piece for the small circular pyramid of iron. This is because the bottom of each must also be etched with the same symbol as the hammer. The ammo fired from the handcannon is always destroyed after it hits something, no matter what mundane or magical precautions are taken. Even on a miss, this ammo will strike something eventually (a tree, the ground, etc) and be destroyed.
    *Special: Masterwork ammo for the handcannon adds a +1 enhancement bonus to damage instead of to the attack roll.

Crafting a Handcannon.-

The handcannon can be crafted by nearly anyone, but it does have some requirements

Feet: Craft Handcannon
    Requirements: int 13, craft 7 ranks OR Craft 12 ranks
    Benefit: You have learned the special symbol required to make the handcannon work, and have been trained repetitively in it's creation. You may use the craft(weaponsmithing) or other applicable craft skill (as per DM's approval), to create a handcannon and it's ammo. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus to any craft check made to create a handcannon.
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-08-16 at 05:38 PM.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Guns in D&D (3.5)

There are a bunch of firearms in the 3.5 DMG. I believe in the alternate settings section.
    Last edited by Crow; 2008-08-16 at 05:40 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

You know, there is a homebrew forum.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    You know, there is a homebrew forum.
    As well, they had a bit on firearms in one of the Dragon Magazines.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Handcannon = yar yar hump hump.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Besides, creating ranged weapons that can't be somehow worked down to a free action reload is essentially pointless because there's almost even less reason to bother actually using them in 3.5e than there is to not just go ahead and be a full caster anyway.

"Look, the hand cannon is devastating to your enemies. And even more devastating to you because now you can't do a full attack no matter what you do."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

That handcannon doesn't seem cheap and incapable of hitting a barn door at 50 feet, and it looks like it's more powerfull than a crossbow, so it's not really accurate.
    If my posts contain any grammar mistakes please inform me about it.
    This is not sarcasm, if you're wondering

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara LeSabre View Post
    Besides, creating ranged weapons that can't be somehow worked down to a free action reload is essentially pointless because there's almost even less reason to bother actually using them in 3.5e than there is to not just go ahead and be a full caster anyway.

"Look, the hand cannon is devastating to your enemies. And even more devastating to you because now you can't do a full attack no matter what you do."
    I believe if you make it a breech-loaded weapon, it's a free action. Now, I'm AFB, so I can't give you page number/issue, but it's in and older Dragon Magazine, although I think it's after 3.5 came out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

DMG pages 145-146

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    DMG pages 145-146
    Is it actually in the DMG? I've never noticed. But I specifically remember a Dragon Magazine article about gunpowder weapons.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Is it actually in the DMG? I've never noticed. But I specifically remember a Dragon Magazine article about gunpowder weapons.
    Yes to both. Page 145 has the Pistol and Musket. Page 146 has modern era weapons. FRCS page 31 has Smokepowder pistols, a powderhorn and 10 bullets as starting equipment for Lantan or Rock Gnomes.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-17 at 03:29 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I made a Handcannon for the Resident Evil 4 Weapons. It is a Smith & Wesson Model 500 .45 Magnum. The first stat in a block is the initial stat, where as the other stats are upgrades.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-08-17 at 03:23 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it could be a touch attack? Old-style plate armor doesn't stand a chance against even remotely modern firearms. It doesn't help the full-round stuff, but it could at least be a quick battle-opener that you put away and draw a sword the following turn.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Speaking as someone who's running a campaign with firearms:
    1) Yeah, unless you've got Rapid Reload and breach-loaders, fire, drop and charge the next round.

2) If you're using armor as DR from UA, gunpowder weapons could ignore DR from armor. (Justified in the case of cannons like that; less so for smaller guns. Armorers used to demonstrate the quality of their breastplates by shooting them, without the bullet penetrating).

3) And I believe it was Dragon #221 that had firearms. Fairly generic. There was also a section on guns in the d20 Dragon Annual ("Guns in Freeport"), but that's fairly obscure.

I'm not much in favor of the magically-based guns, but I rabidly dislike magitech...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

My current setting takes place in an industrialized DnD world, though weapon technology isn't that advanced for a variety of reasons.

All I did was take the firearms from the DMG and make a few changes (I lowered the prices a little and made them Martial weapons, because Firearms have been around for awhile and are fairly common), then I declared that all crossbows were just different types of weapons, and made Hand Crossbows (or in this case a civilian-model peashooter pistol) a simple weapon. Heck, Ive let one of the players reinforce her rifles stock and use it as a heavy mace. (Counts as a second weapon for the purpose of masterworking/magicness of course)
    Last edited by BRC; 2008-08-17 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

How about a bayonet? Are there any mechanics for those in place?
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tam_OConnor View Post
    I'm not much in favor of the magically-based guns, but I rabidly dislike magitech...
    Oddly enough, magitech would probably be a logical result of magic existing. Technology itself is only a direct result of our acquisition and usage of exceptional concentrations of energy (in the form of natural gas, coal and especially oil); we didn't get "smarter" so much as we just got our hands on something that could give us the energy to do all kinds of new things that previously weren't possible.

But magic? The way it's generally presented, magic is free energy -- the zero-point energy pipe dream made reality. Perpetual-motion machines aren't possible in the real world, but in a world with magic as it's usually presented, all you need is the right combination of gestures and words! So magitech -- are you kidding? Logically, people in a world with magic as it's generally presented (unlimited) could do technology better than we can do it, without being hindered by the reality constraints we're running up against more and more with every passing day (dwindling nonrenewable resources).

To me, technology would follow magic potentially even more easily than it followed oil.

Okay, I ranted enough. That said, I'm curious: why don't you like it?
    Last edited by Kiara LeSabre; 2008-08-17 at 11:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Spear or Dagger
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2008-08-17 at 11:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Crossbow Bayonets in Complete Scoundrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Oddly enough, magitech would probably be a logical result of magic existing. Technology itself is only a direct result of our acquisition and usage of exceptional concentrations of energy (in the form of natural gas, coal and especially oil); we didn't get "smarter" so much as we just got our hands on something that could give us the energy to do all kinds of new things that previously weren't possible.

But magic? The way it's generally presented, magic is free energy -- the zero-point energy pipe dream made reality. Perpetual-motion machines aren't possible in the real world, but in a world with magic as it's usually presented, all you need is the right combination of gestures and words! So magitech -- are you kidding? Logically, people in a world with magic as it's generally presented (unlimited) could do technology better than we can do it, without being hindered by the reality constraints we're running up against more and more with every passing day (dwindling nonrenewable resources).

To me, technology would follow magic potentially even more easily than it followed oil.

Okay, I ranted enough. That said, I'm curious: why don't you like it?
    I always found it funny that people looking at fantasy settings (in any medium) usually think of magic as being in opposition to science. If magic were real, it would easily be the most studied science in the world by a long shot. Depending on the magic, we'd have decended into chaos by now, or colonized multiple different planets.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Aside from this hand cannon being a better candidate in the Homebrew section, I sort of like the idea of it being a touch attack. sort of like a warlock with gunpowder.... only not quite as neat as that idea for some reason....

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I've always been annoyed by the theory that if you have magic, you can't have science and vice versa.

I prefer the explanation that magic is just a way to bend, or break the laws of science. Fly? It's just repealing the law of gravity. But eventually gravity returns.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CASTLEMIKE View Post
    Yes to both. Page 145 has the Pistol and Musket. Page 146 has modern era weapons. FRCS page 31 has Smokepowder pistols, a powderhorn and 10 bullets as starting equipment for Lantan or Rock Gnomes.
    Oh, well how bout that then.

Also, it's Dragon Magazine 321, in case people were wondering.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ptolus had a lot of fire arms in it, and they were very well done I think.

Have to locate that book again . . .
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

This post sums up my thoughts on the matter quite well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I've always been annoyed by the theory that if you have magic, you can't have science and vice versa.

I prefer the explanation that magic is just a way to bend, or break the laws of science. Fly? It's just repealing the law of gravity. But eventually gravity returns.
    Let's look at an average motorcycle that you wanted to magically increase the speed of. What would you be enchanting. The wheels sound good, but it's the rear one that provides the power, the other is freewheeling. The pistons? Crankshaft? Chain/belt? All of it? In the end all the power is derived from a series of short-lived chemical reactions that you can't enchant. So the Bike can't be enchanted to go faster. And even if you could the bike would break down at a faster rate equal to the speed increase.

Technology is complex enough, adding magic simply makes it more so.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Well, if you like to add a little variety though, there's always Moden d20 (SRD available, I found a copy at the D&D wiki).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Let's look at an average motorcycle that you wanted to magically increase the speed of. What would you be enchanting. The wheels sound good, but it's the rear one that provides the power, the other is freewheeling. The pistons? Crankshaft? Chain/belt? All of it? In the end all the power is derived from a series of short-lived chemical reactions that you can't enchant. So the Bike can't be enchanted to go faster. And even if you could the bike would break down at a faster rate equal to the speed increase.

Technology is complex enough, adding magic simply makes it more so.
    I'd enchant it to be lighter. That way we can use extremely tough metals and not care about the weight - whereas at the moment we are restricted to Aluminum and lighter metals, which aren't always the strongest.

And as for making a motorcycle faster, dropping the weight from ~400lbs wet to ~200 lbs wet while not changing anything else would service to massively increase potential speed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin131 View Post
    I'd enchant it to be lighter. That way we can use extremely tough metals and not care about the weight - whereas at the moment we are restricted to Aluminum and lighter metals, which aren't always the strongest.

And as for making a motorcycle faster, dropping the weight from ~400lbs wet to ~200 lbs wet while not changing anything else would service to massively increase potential speed.
    Point. But that's not really enchanting to be faster, the increased acceleration would merely be a by-product of the new weight, but it's still a good point.

Which goes to serve my point as well. You can't simply make a bike faster by enchanting it to be so, you have to change something else about the bike (weight) which doesn't seem connected at a casual glance.