New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Introducing City of Heroes' Rikti (4E): "PCs:Begin Preperation:Falling Rocks!"

Well, after a City of Heroes binge, I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if a D&D world was invaded by Rikti?" Then I thought "Why not?"

So, in their effort to blow the Earth of CoH/CoV to smithereens, a particularly clever Rikti general decides "Hmm. Since dimensions are paralell to each other, would it be possible to "pincer" Earth by setting up a front from another dimension?" (Of course, he thought it with a lot more colons, but I have a hard time with their accent).

As it is, the dimension he decides to invade in order to get a shot at Earth is the world of my campagin, so the players end up having to fight off his forces and chase him back to his dimension.

So, is this an OK idea? How should I handle their abilities, other than the obvious Hive Mind? Should I create a template, given the Rikti's "unique" method of creating more troops other than simple recruitment?
    Last edited by Leliel; 2008-08-20 at 05:22 PM.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Introducing City of Heroes' Rikti: "PCs:Begin Preperation:Falling Rocks!"

So, is this an OK idea?
    I hereby ban any more "is this an OK idea?" questions. If you're confident enough to post it in front of us, the answer is yes

And yes, that sounds great, actually. A template sounds like a good idea as well, but I'm going to leave those reccomendations to people who are more familiar with Rikti & Friends than I am (read: everybody).
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2008-08-19 at 06:04 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Introducing City of Heroes' Rikti: "PCs:Begin Preperation:Falling Rocks!"

Are we talking 4e? 3.X? Earlier?

(Tags are your friend!)

Also: sounds like fun.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Dimensions: Parallel? Yes: Invade: Other Dimension. Purpose: Surround: Earth. Paragon City: Will: Fall!

I don't know how the mechanics would work in terms of D&D (don't play it, just read about it.), but that sounds like a whole bunch of fun!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aoleleb View Post

I don't know how the mechanics would work in terms of D&D (don't play it, just read about it.), but that sounds like a whole bunch of fun!
    Why should they?

They don't work in CoH either, but we don't care!

Unless by "work", you mean "mechanics", not "make sense".

In that case, I figure that since the dimensional barrier only bars the Rikti dimension's passage to Paragon Earth, then it isn't a leap of logic to say that it bars no other passage, which is a hypothesis supported in the game.

So naturally, the Rikti figured this out in the game-why else did the Second War start up?-and the BBEG realized that if they established another base on a magic-rich world, they could (A), send more and better equipped reinforcements to Paragon, and (B), better study the barrier, which is magical in nature.
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.