New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default tvtropes.org. Great resource for GMs?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aledEvilInACan
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Precursors
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aysChaoticEvil
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eroicWillpower
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...orhoodVampires
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...eYouVampireDad

The above are just a few examples of what I have read during the last two hours.

Sure, this site is meant to showcase the cliches in TV shows and all forms of media, but come on, if the "big-time" writers who get paid in millions can't ever invent something original, what chance do us lowly DMs have?
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: tvtropes.org. Great resource for GMs?

TV Tropes is absolutely fabulous as a resource for both what to do & what not to do with your campaigns. Another good resource is the Evil Overlord List. No self-respect villain should ignore the wisdom inherent to both places.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

First of all, Tropes Are Not Bad. It's OK to have characters or plots that follow tropes--they're used a lot because they work. Also, I personally love the site because the more knowledgeable you are about tropes, the more fun you can have subverting them. For example, I once had a character (who unfortunately was never used) who was the stereotypical "Blind Seer"...except she wasn't really blind, she just pretended to be to increase credibility.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

As is unsurprising, I also endorse TV Tropes.

The "plot" section can be a very good starting point if you're trying to make an adventure from scratch. The other Tropes can help you flavor your BBEGs appropriately, since people recognize tropes even if they don't read TV Tropes.

Good examples include using the Red Right Hand and Glamour Failure to sinister-up your BBEG. The examples on those and other pages can also be used to dress-up your own NPCs and add some nice flavor to the game.

Of course, don't use easily identifiable styles (like a literal red right hand of stone a la Hellboy) since that looks like lazy copying.

All in all, it's a good addition to the DM Toolbox, but it shouldn't be your only tool.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If you ask me, TV Tropes is a mandatory read for everyone who wants to create works of fiction. Which also includes RPG campaigns.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, tv tropes is an awesome site. Gives you good ideas for what to do and what not to do. Anyone else ever felt like this, though?
    Spending most of my time on another forum.
    Awesome Daemonhost avatar by Fin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prophaniti View Post
    Yeah, tv tropes is an awesome site. Gives you good ideas for what to do and what not to do. Anyone else ever felt like this, though?
    That was my reaction upon first visiting the site. It was "okay, just one more article...let's just check out that link and we're done..." except it went on for hours. Should've kept track of how long (at least 3 hours), but I know I was up way too late and was tired the next day. Then I made another visit and spent a lot of time there also. It's why when I recommend the site to people, I always mention they need to set aside a few hours for their first visit.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone else ever felt like this, though?
    That's how my normal day looks like.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    TV Tropes is absolutely fabulous as a resource for both what to do & what not to do with your campaigns. Another good resource is the Evil Overlord List. No self-respect villain should ignore the wisdom inherent to both places.
    Except for a real Evil Overlord!

But yes, Tvtropes is fantastic. I'm running a time travel campaign, and being able to look through all the time travel tropes has helped me ensure that it'll be about traveling through time and adventuring, not worrying about paradoxes. Timey Wimey Ball to the rescue.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Been reading Tv Tropes recently. I like it a lot: whether the tropes are used, or deliberately subverted, a la Rich Burlew, Terry Pratchett, or other authors.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    If you ask me, TV Tropes is a mandatory read for everyone who wants to create works of fiction. Which also includes RPG campaigns.
    What the Dalek Girl Thing said.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSaturnine View Post
    First of all, Tropes Are Not Bad. It's OK to have characters or plots that follow tropes--they're used a lot because they work. Also, I personally love the site because the more knowledgeable you are about tropes, the more fun you can have subverting them. For example, I once had a character (who unfortunately was never used) who was the stereotypical "Blind Seer"...except she wasn't really blind, she just pretended to be to increase credibility.
    Is that Genre Saavy, Dangerously Genre Saavy, or Contractually Genre Blind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Oooh. Yoink. Definitely rememering that for future use.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Another player in one of my PBP games linked me to this over a year ago, and I've been hooked ever since. In fact, for the PBP game we're in, I'm currently running a little pet-project where I list and explain tropes that apply to the homebrew setting and to the PCs. (I'm tempted to add in a Subverted Tropes section for each character, but it can be a bit of a pain to differentiate subverted and averted tropes.)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Re: tvtropes.org. Great resource for GMs?

Chatty DM seems to think so. He's got at least a score of articles on how to apply tropes in your game.

If you're going to steal (which all good DMs do - shamelessly and without cease), then make sure you're stealing from the best.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-08-21 at 05:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    That was my reaction upon first visiting the site. It was "okay, just one more article...let's just check out that link and we're done..." except it went on for hours.
    Ah... the good ol' Archive Binge, eh? Well, any good troper knows, TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life, so trope responsibly. Now you know...

EDIT: Apparently, this was my 666th post itP...
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2008-08-21 at 07:48 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think that there was an FR novel with a gnome oracle who did the same thing.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I think that there was an FR novel with a gnome oracle who did the same thing.
    Really? Poo. Well, I guess it's good she never went anywhere, then. And yeah, she was very genre-savvy (although not dangerously so). Another really tiny subversion I took joy in was a character with bright red hair who was an extreme introvert. Not necessarily shy...but think Nick Carroway, and you've got a close approximate of the basic way he acts.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Number of Awesome Points Won: Serious

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    What the Dalek Girl Thing said.
    Dalek Osaka to be precise. Or Dalek Ayumu for those who actually remember her real name.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure Nerdo has seen Azumanga Daioh.

And while we're on this topic, read here, the part about Osaka. Creepy.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-08-22 at 07:15 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Kobold

Great. Theres two days I won't see again. I did find the side-by-side doctor and dalek avatars humorous though.

Will use this for next campaign.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't know how or why did this happened but Gitp forum is tvtropes' unofficial forum. Wikipedia said it, so it must be true!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

But remember - according to Wikipedia, Yu-Gi-Oh The Abridged Series doesn't exist.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I don't know how or why did this happened but Gitp forum is tvtropes' unofficial forum. Wikipedia said it, so it must be true!
    Ok, I never knew that. I thought everyone read it.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Why yes, I have, now that you mention -- *ahem* Thanks for the link, Prophanti.

And that was not my first visit. My first visit I visited 1000 pages over the course of seven and a half hours. My second visit was another seven hours... I just kept thinking I would run out of stuff to do eventually, but now I've come to accept that even at this point, after I've memorised half the tropes and speak in WikiWords by accident sometimes, I still need several free hours if I'm going to visit.
    It's ridiculously addictive, but I try to send everyone I know there.

Part of it is certainly the ability to steal ideas from TVTropes, but part of my love of the place is that it gave me a language I could use to easily discuss the parts of plots and devices and characters that crop up all the time, but never had a word, because it would be too complicated to invent a word for them. Instead, TVTropes has article titles, so that each phrase is defined in full within the article, and we speak in Trope Titles... and when you have a word for something it's loads easier to identify and talk about it. It's easier to understand the inner workings of your plots and ideas and characters if you have words for all the pieces.

Oh, and to Little_Rudo-- The rule of thumb is that in a subverted trope, the author has tried to make you believe he's going to use the trope, but then it turns out you were deceived, and he doesn't use it after all. If the work in question doesn't set you up to expect the trope, then it's probably an averted trope instead.
    Yeah, tropers have some trouble with that one. Mostly I think people take some sense of pride in saying their favourite thing was a subversion. I hope that TVTropes eventually shows people that everything's been done, so they'll stop being so obsessed over doing something that no one's ever done before. People worry too much over doing something new, and not enough about trying to do it with style, IMO.

Buuuuut I'm going off on a tangent now. ^^;

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzbaa View Post
    Instead, TVTropes has article titles, so that each phrase is defined in full within the article, and we speak in Trope Titles... and when you have a word for something it's loads easier to identify and talk about it. It's easier to understand the inner workings of your plots and ideas and characters if you have words for all the pieces.
    They've already got that one.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    They've already got that one.
    Will it ever!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes.

TV Tropes is secretly run by Cthulhu, and it's his attempt to enslave the human race using the internet.

Seriously now, I do think it's a good source for any writer. A DM can benefit from it greatly.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I also think tvtropes is a great site. However!

I feel annoyed when people link a bunch of random words and phrases in every other post as if gamers need a 2 page article to understand every theme, trope, and concept that crops up in a typical RPG.

Bleh.

ap
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2008-08-22 at 07:43 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    Yes.

TV Tropes is secretly run by Cthulhu, and it's his attempt to enslave the human race using the internet.

Seriously now, I do think it's a good source for any writer. A DM can benefit from it greatly.
    Of course, he's been hoisted by his own petard.

He's hooked too.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.