New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Bard Prestige Class/Options

So I'm planning on an 'all bards' game.

I have a number of books, but am a bit short on time and thought to ask the playground for some information. Mainly, what prestige classes are out there that are tailored for bards? Any feats or somesuch are also welcome.

I'd like to have all my players go in different directions, role-wise.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Bard Prestige Class/Options

I like the Virtuoso, which gives you a very nice suite of new options for your bardic music. He's in Complete Adventurer.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seeker of the Song and Sublime Chord from Complete Arcane are both meant for the bard. As far as feats go, take a look at Snowflake Wardance from Frostburn.

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

War Chanter (CWar) and Dawn Caller (RoS) are both really cool for the tank.

My friend's Dawn Caller build:

Bard 2/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1/Dawn Caller 10... Last 4 levels are probably War Chanter.

But a whole group of bards is not going to get very much mileage out of their Inspire Courage, so makes sure you have 1 designated Courage Inspirer, and the rest using other songs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I really love the Sublime Chord/Virtuoso combo. Anyways, all-Bards actually works pretty well. You can make:

-Melee Bard
    -Archer Bard
    -Arcanist Bard
    -Healer Bard

and they'll all be relatively competent (Healer least so - he loses out on the Skill Monkey-side). The most effort ironically goes to making one with Trapfinding and thus full skillmonkeying abilities :P Of course, since Inspire Courages don't stack, there's little point in focusing multiple characters on it. Maybe one using Inspire Courage, another using Dragonfire Inspiration and others being less mass boostish (Healer pretty much requires "Combat Medic"-progression, so he definitely shouldn't be Inspiring Courage and Meleer probably wants a non-Bard PrC too, so Archer and Arcanist could be the Inspirationals). The important ones were brought up already, but to recap:
    -Snowflake Wardance (Frostburn) facilitates melee really well.
    -Dragonfire Inspiration (Dragon Magic IIRC) gets you a nice bunch of damage bonus to go with your To Hits from the Inspire Courage.
    -Song of the Heart (Eberron Campaign Settings or something), Words of Creation (Book of Exalted Deeds), etc. to pump your Inspire Courage.
    -Melodic Casting (Complete Mage) is a must for the primary casters.
    -Lyric Thaumaturge (Complete Mage) is a Bard PrC to consider, probably for the healer.
    -Virtuoso (Complete Adventurer) and Sublime Chord (Complete Arcane) are awesome Bard-ability advancing PrCs.
    -Dervish (Complete Warrior) and Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) supplement the fighter and the healer greatly (Combat Medic learns Heal, the one major spell Sublime Chord can't pick up and Dervish just goes nicely with the whole "Dancing"-thing - combine with Power Attack for Massive Damage).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2008-08-23 at 04:28 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonfire Inspiration; probably from some book about dragons; is nice because it gives xd6 energy damage to melee attacks. Replaces Inspire Courage and is probably also a feat. I need more books...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    (Healer least so - he loses out on the Skill Monkey-side)
    This is why you make wands common. Bards don't even need a check to use a wand of Cure Light Wounds - it's on their class list.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8

It's still nice to have access to Heal for in-combat healing, especially against the bigger, badder monsters.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9

It's not a PrC, but I'm a fan of Bard/Paladin multiclassing. Snowflake Wardance, Divine Might, and Divine Grace combine to give you some crazy Cha synergy. There's a lot more to pump it, but it's a great way of making a combat Bard.

An alternative is Bard/Crusader. That opens up a feat that makes Inspire Courage a swift action to activate, which is a nice feature.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Fochlucan Lyrist prestige class from Complete Adventurer, Dragonsong Lyrist from Draconomicon, and Dirgesinger from Libris Mortis. The last 2 are 5 level classes, and none are especially good, but might be useful.
    Like everyone said, seeker of the song and sublime cord.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    It's not a PrC, but I'm a fan of Bard/Paladin multiclassing. Snowflake Wardance, Divine Might, and Divine Grace combine to give you some crazy Cha synergy. There's a lot more to pump it, but it's a great way of making a combat Bard.

An alternative is Bard/Crusader. That opens up a feat that makes Inspire Courage a swift action to activate, which is a nice feature.
    Devoted Performer [Complete Adventurer] helps a little as well, letting you multiclass between the two freely and having your levels stack for smite and bardic music uses.

12. - Top - End - #12

The Dirgesinger (Libris Mortis, I think) is an interesting one, though I'm not sure how powerful it is. Causing skeletons to rise from the ground with the power of music sounds like something from a death metal music video, which is probably awesome. Then take that feat from the Planar Handbook (or Manual of the Planes, I forget) that lets you substitute spell vocal components with any sound and the wailing of your instrument now does everything you ever imagined.
    Also, his debuffs would work nicely since they don't interfere with the other bards' buffs.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2008-08-23 at 06:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13

The Debuffer Bard:
    - Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic
    - Inspire Hatred from Exemplars of Evil
    - a 1-level dip in Dirgesinger
    - Doomspeak from Champions of Ruin
    - Haunting Melody from the Eberron CS or Heroes of Horror
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    The Dirgesinger (Libris Mortis, I think) is an interesting one, though I'm not sure how powerful it is. Causing skeletons to rise from the ground with the power of music sounds like something from a death metal music video, which is probably awesome.
    Cause this is thriller...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

confused Re: Bard Prestige Class/Options

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    how can you multiclass paladin/bard if paladins must be of LG aligment and bard of any nonlawful?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DreadWarlock View Post
    how can you multiclass paladin/bard if paladins must be of LG aligment and bard of any nonlawful?
    Variant Paladins

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

The Devoted Performer feat lets you be a lawful bard. In large part because there isn't a lot of reason why you shouldn't be able to be. :P

For the bard healer, also consider the War Weaver from the Heroes of Battle. Team healing/buffing is awesome.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

a good prestige class for a bard is Dirgesinger, more if you're a bard neutral or evil alignment. only requires a requiem feat. prestige class makes your bardic music to influence the dead and undead, gives you some songs apart contrary to the bard gives you, as instead of giving bonus to the party, gives penalty to the enemy, and level 5 (Which is the last stage of the prestige class) makes your music can do undead bard. to my taste I will combine with seeker of the song to use the ability to use two bardic music at the same time

19. - Top - End - #19

Dirgesinger has some totally badass songs but loses out on spellcasting. Easy enough to get into though, and the trade-off is about even I'd say.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I like the dervish.

It's a melee/tank bard. I think its in the complete warrior. Works better as a fighter or scout but it actually is a bard prestige class.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

Skald, from one of the Faerun books, is pretty kickin'.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

now that I'm reviewing books faerum, there is another kind of prestige that this interesting for a character bard: Celebrant of Shares, is very good for bards who like the fight, as it gives them something very similar to the ability of the barbarians: rage. bad thing is that is a kind of exalted status, and one of the feats that you must own forbidden to have contact with dead things, so you must not only keep chaotic good, but their contact with dead

23. - Top - End - #23

NecromancerGuy

Stormsinger, from Frostburn, deserves at least some consideration. In an all-Bard party, Stormsinger's AoE damage is potentially useful.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

One option that I don't see any talk about is the Bard prestige class from Unearthed Arcana (courtesy of the SRD). One or more of your players could start as another class, & then take levels in the Bard PrC. The entry requirements are fairly lax, & you'd all know which way that bard would be leaning right from the start. Also, as a bonus, that bard would be gaining spells from another arcane spellcasting class, so it would add much-needed variety to the party's casting pool.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Does Warblade count? Bard 1/Warblade 19 (usually a few other dips thrown in) is pretty awesome.

Even if it isn't much of Bard, and more a Warblade with Inspire Courage.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheeLyra View Post
    a good prestige class for a bard is Dirgesinger, more if you're a bard neutral or evil alignment. only requires a requiem feat. prestige class makes your bardic music to influence the dead and undead, gives you some songs apart contrary to the bard gives you, as instead of giving bonus to the party, gives penalty to the enemy, and level 5 (Which is the last stage of the prestige class) makes your music can do undead bard. to my taste I will combine with seeker of the song to use the ability to use two bardic music at the same time
    How appropriate. Necroing a thread to mention Dirgesinger (redundantly, too).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #28

ClericGuy

You guys inspired me to make my Lord of the Dance character just now. Its looking pretty crazy what he can do. I didn't realize how strong Dervish was.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    How appropriate. Necroing a thread to mention Dirgesinger (redundantly, too).
    I thought that was pretty funny too.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by OrpheeLyra View Post

Sheriff of Moddingham: I'm sure they would have been interested a year ago. Please don't do thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex