New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good demons?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Good demons?

Since we've got a celbite succubus paladins statted out and demon worshipers(drow) converting en masse. Considering that there are infinite demons spread out across seperate universes, just how often will a good demon pop up? And I don't mean paladin good I mean rogue who still steals good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Good demons?

Standard D&D cosmology says that the Abyss is (supposedly)infinite. This means an infinite amount of demons, and thus any fraction of that infinity will still be infinity.
    That being said, still very very very very very very very rarely will you find a demon that won't want to make you less happy than you were before meeting it.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Standard D&D cosmology says that the Abyss is (supposedly)infinite. This means an infinite amount of demons, and thus any fraction of that infinity will still be infinity.
    That being said, still very very very very very very very rarely will you find a demon that won't want to make you less happy than you were before meeting it.
    Ye, the actual number is infinite.
    But the fraction is still a rational number.

That's what he wants.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Ye, the actual number is infinite.
    But the fraction is still a rational number.

That's what he wants.
    In that case it's up to either the DM or just 0.001d2% at any given time. At least in my opinion.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, the Abyss is infinite, and has infinite demons in it, but demons are Chaotic Evil.

That Succubus wasn't 100% a demon anymore after converting. So there aren't infinite.

I'd say... 3?

I don't know, this question seems arbitrary. How many as DM do you want there to be? How many as a player do you need there to be? If as a player you plan on finding one, you will not. It's not possible, unless your DM really wants you to.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by SadisticFishing View Post
    Well, the Abyss is infinite, and has infinite demons in it, but demons are Chaotic Evil.

That Succubus wasn't 100% a demon anymore after converting. So there aren't infinite.

I'd say... 3?

I don't know, this question seems arbitrary. How many as DM do you want there to be? How many as a player do you need there to be? If as a player you plan on finding one, you will not. It's not possible, unless your DM really wants you to.
    Bah, the answer is 42!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

It's directally preportional to the number of Helms of Opposite Alignment in the universe.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It's directally preportional to the number of Helms of Opposite Alignment in the universe.
    ah but helm of opposite alignment can be used infinite times, so it can be any number compared to them. and how wasn't that demon a demon after becoming a palidan?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    ah but helm of opposite alignment can be used infinite times, so it can be any number compared to them. and how wasn't that demon a demon after becoming a palidan?
    Using it takes time so unless you have an infinite amount of time it will only have been used a finite number of times.

10. - Top - End - #10

Technically it's impossible for there to be a good demon. A demon is an incarnation of chaos and evil. It is fundamentally just that, chaotic evil. It is part of it's inherent nature. Just like it is hydrogen's nature to burn, it's a demon's nature to be chaotic and evil. It's simply impossible for it to happen (assuming that the DnD world works in a consistent way without any foolish DMs interfering), and if it did then wouldn't the demon stop being a demon? Chaos and evil are such fundamental parts of a demon that if it stopped being any one of those it wouldn't be a demon. I'm not sure exactly what it would be. "Some kind of outsider" is the best I can come up with right now.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger View Post
    ah but helm of opposite alignment can be used infinite times, so it can be any number compared to them.
    Yes, but it stands to reason that the more there are, the larger the chance it would be used on a Demon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fractic View Post
    Using it takes time so unless you have an infinite amount of time it will only have been used a finite number of times.
    ah but as the Abyss is infinite, presumable there would be at least one plane where time was infinite, and several others where it goes backwards, sideways, inwards, or towards the idealip. of legitimate leadership
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

13. - Top - End - #13

It depends entirely on your own view of the cosmology, really. Anywhere one might have fallen celestials, I think you should be able to find risen demons. Both can make for interesting characters. As for chances? I think the fraction Krimm gave isn't far off. Maybe even lower. It should be rare, whatever it is. Of course, the same might be said for drow, and the stereotype holds that it really isn't.

14. - Top - End - #14

I was about too say.

Unfallen Angels.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #15

I would say a good demon = an angel..

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose it depends on what % of always [alignment] are deviants. The MM says it's either unique or extremely rare, but are there any rules somewhere else for it? It might be a random-generation thing done with a d% in some book, somewhere. I kind of doubt it.

To me, 1/1000 sounds like a good number. Divide that by a hundred (for 1/100000) for such creatures who are able to survive amongst or decieve their fellow demons.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    It's simply impossible for it to happen (assuming that the DnD world works in a consistent way without any foolish DMs interfering), and if it did then wouldn't the demon stop being a demon? Chaos and evil are such fundamental parts of a demon that if it stopped being any one of those it wouldn't be a demon. I'm not sure exactly what it would be. "Some kind of outsider" is the best I can come up with right now.
    Yeah, in a campaign I'm in now, our cleric used a spell that forced a pit fiend to become Good on a fail save.... and he's currently forcing it to assist us before he'll atone the poor thing. My DM figured that a Good devil probably changes back into an angel, so he ruled that it is now, for all intents and purposes, a solar.
    ....However, we're pretty much also at a loss as to what would happen to a demon. We pondered that perhaps they became creatures of pure chaos or pure chaos and good, rather than pure chaos and evil, and I can't quite recall what that monster is.

I think by the D&D mythos as written, Good demons are impossible. However, it isn't hard to tweak the fluff and justify them, so overall it's up to the DM.

OOoooooof course, I'm still thinking in terms of 3.5, so that's probably totally different in 4e.

18. - Top - End - #18

I remember an unofficial Dicefreaks template called Penitent Fiend. Basically it changes said fiend's alignment and alignment subtype to Good, replaces all Evil spells, spell-like abillities and supernatural powers with equivalent Good powers, replaces telepathy with tounges at will, replaces all harmful Necromancy spells with (Healing) spells (except perhaps spells like Ray of Enfeeblement and Waves of Fatigue) and replaces the Demon, Daemon or Devil subtype (Tanar'i, Yuogloth and Baa'tzu subtypes if you prefer) with the Angel subtype. Otherwise it looks pretty much the same as any non-Penitent Fiend and has the same stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzbaa View Post
    ....However, we're pretty much also at a loss as to what would happen to a demon. We pondered that perhaps they became creatures of pure chaos or pure chaos and good, rather than pure chaos and evil, and I can't quite recall what that monster is.
    Maybe an Eladrin? BoED describes them as basically the chaotic counterparts of the archons.

Anyway, let's assume that the probability of a demon being non-evil is some non-zero value. It can be the multiplicative inverse of Graham's number for all I care, as long as it's greater than zero. If the number of demons is infinite, then the number of non-evil demons must also be infinite.

If, on the other hand, the probability is exactly zero, then we get into weird possibilities.
    My characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sarah, human gestalt druid/totemist
    Adrian, human rogue
    Calypso, half-nymph human gestalt druid/miscellaneous

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

OOoooooof course, I'm still thinking in terms of 3.5, so that's probably totally different in 4e.
    4E Demons are corrupted elemental creatures and are not considered "Immortals" like devils or angels. They're basically pieces of the Abyss (which itself is corrupted elemental force) given sentience. According to the 4E Monster Manual, they don't live very long and get recycled back into the maelstrom. The demon lords are corrupt Primordials, so they are immortal. The rank-and-file aren't.

Given that, I guess demons could be "purified," if only for a short time before they cease to exist.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Eladrin! Yes, that was what they decided; thanks.

And yeah, I've read most of the 4e mythos, I just wasn't quite sure how a "purified" demon would begin to work under their version of the abyss. ^^;

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

itmust be very confusing for a redeemed Succubus paladin. Imagine radiating Goodness, Evilness, Chaoticness, AND Lawfulness all at once.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Good and non-evil demons and devils were canon in AD&D Planescape, which is still the best freaking version of the D&D cosmology. There was a "redeemed" osyluth in Celestia, just like there was a fallen evil angel running a city in Baator. (Pretty sure these two were the only to creatures like this mentioned in the fiend supplement, mind you. So yes, they're rare, but they're so rare they'll also be famous.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    itmust be very confusing for a redeemed Succubus paladin. Imagine radiating Goodness, Evilness, Chaoticness, AND Lawfulness all at once.
    IIRC According to fiendish codex II the pact primordial has an overwhelming lawful, good, and evil aura, enough to make anyone detecting it's alignment confused.... I wonder if something similar would happen to the Succubus...
    Sig'd

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Eladrin! Yes, that was what they decided; thanks.

And yeah, I've read most of the 4e mythos, I just wasn't quite sure how a "purified" demon would begin to work under their version of the abyss. ^^;
    I'm not so sure either. >_o Maybe they just dissolve when they become good. o_o

I have a 3.0 adventure (Lord of the Iron Fortress) that has a Fallen Trumpet Archon. He's still an archon (and can be persuaded to turn back if the players really wanted to), but for the most part he's simply an archon with his alignment-specific spells and abilities "reskinned" to work for evil and against good instead.

The only thing here is that I tend to believe it's easier for the good outsiders to fall than for the evil outsiders to be redeemed. But that's just me.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I would say that a demon is a spiritual personifisation of chaotic evil, it's not a demon if it's not chaotic evil.

So no, you can't have a non-evil or non-chaotic demon because it wouldn't be a demon.

This "infinite" thing just means that some demons would change their ways and stop being demons.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there was

Spoiler
    Show
    Fall from Grace, but:

- she was Lawful Neutral, I think
    - I don't remember if it was explained how shecan be LN succubuss

Probably must play Torment once again.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Um, not quite.

It is directly proportional to the number of Helms of Opposite Alignemnt + Deck of Many things in a multiverse.

I just came back from the bi-weekly game I run, and in it the imp which just joined the party's crew (it cut a deal to get off an island where it was imprison) decided to "borrow" one of the party member's Deck of Many Things to play with some crew NPCs and another of the PCs. He is now CG, and has an Assimar 4th level fighter sent straight from Celestia to assist him "redeem" himself.

There went some plothooks and storyline I had been planning.
    Last edited by celestialkin; 2008-08-24 at 04:49 AM.
    "There are runts in every culture. The little guys who get picked on and pushed around. Even among Kobolds. And at some point those runts always lose it and seek revenge if they haven't been killed..."
    Bhu

Internets gifted:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • I received my first Half an internet from xNadia on 08-27-2008, 05:11 AM!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Since we've got a celbite succubus paladins statted out and demon worshipers(drow) converting en masse. Considering that there are infinite demons spread out across seperate universes, just how often will a good demon pop up?
    Never. Demons are made by/from Evil and can't be anything else by definition.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

By strict definition a Demon is any Extraplanar Outsider with both the Chaotic and Evil subtypes.

Demonweb pits gives us the Cambion, a Usually Chaotic evil demon with a trace of non-demon blood, and is describes as 10% are Not Evil.

so, thats a pretty fair example. D&D has had exeptions to the Always Evil rule for a long time, and that has included fiends. So, yes, you can have a non-evil demon. Monster Manual even goes out of its way to say that non-evil creatures with Evil subtype suffer penalties of both alignments.