New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sorcerer in of Immortality

I prefer not to go undead... unfortunately I have built a spy with very few caster levels and even less room to move now... he is going to be hitting the point in life where if he doesn't achieve immortality he will die of old age due to the DM rolling a few dice. and I am the only PC with this problem atm. Currently the character is a Rogue2/Sorcerer4/Cabinet Trickster5/Mindspy5. He can swap out feats if he must so they are not concerning atm

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerer in of Immortality

Get killed in battle and find a druid with Reincarnate. Outside of being Undead, a high-level Druid or, I think, Monk, you're stuck with death from old age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, you want your sorceror to become immortal so he doesn't die of old age huh?

Well, you do always have the option of being killed deliberately and getting reincarnated, as it creates a young adult body. Whilst it won't make you immortal, it will allow you to reset your body clock by a few decades, and you may get reincarnated as an elf or something else equally long lived.

EDIT: Ninja-ed, of course
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2008-08-24 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, so you want immortality, but not undeadness? Well, you could get (I belive) a wish scroll, then wish for yourself being younger. Or, dependingon you splatbook level, you could look into things like the iron lich.
    trill in da playground

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Get killed in battle and find a druid with Reincarnate. Outside of being Undead, a high-level Druid or, I think, Monk, you're stuck with death from old age.
    Monk's still die when their "time is up".
    So do Druids.

But there's no rule against Wishing for "more time"...

Edit: Can you Wish to change your race? Say, to Elan?
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2008-08-24 at 09:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Probably, you but I think polymorph any object (I'am pretty sure this is the one) permenantly turns you into another, simalir being. If you have no other choice, become an Elan. Effectavly immortal, or possibly actually immortal, I can't remember. The downside? you are now level one.
    trill in da playground

7. - Top - End - #7

Become a positive energy powered lich.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Is there any way to become a warforged or Elan?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DM Ninja'd me on the reincarnate part of this... Cabinet Trickster requires me to be a changling... and by reincarnate it is probably not going to happen as I come back as one so I lose the abilities of those levels.

10. - Top - End - #10

If there's any psionics in this campaign, get a power stone with True Mind Switch in it, pronto. You're level 16, I don't see this being overly difficult. This solves your problem almost immediately; switch with the body of a young adult creature of your choosing (after dominating him into it, obviously). Kill the old bastard; enjoy your new body (if I remember what True Mind Switch does correctly).

Reincarnate also resets the clock. Getting imprisoned might stop it, as well as residing on another plane with different time traits. Cloud Anchorite would make you immortal; however, I do not believe you have the time to be taking all 10 levels of it :/.

Changing your race to elan or killoren will also end the problem. Apparently a double PAO does the trick?
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slaanesh View Post
    Probably, you but I think polymorph any object (I'am pretty sure this is the one) permenantly turns you into another, simalir being. If you have no other choice, become an Elan. Effectavly immortal, or possibly actually immortal, I can't remember. The downside? you are now level one.
    Except you aren't level one. The downside is you lose your racial traits (human bonus feat, stat bonuses, skill bonuses, etc.). But you do gain the Elan ones.

12. - Top - End - #12

Yes, the rules for switching races are in the Savage Species splatbook. Wish, among other methods, can change race. And just because you need Changeling to qualify doesn't lose you the abilities, you just can't take any more levels in it.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah but you see the problem is MY DM IS WILL TAKE AWAY THE ABILITIES!!! I have to keep my shapechanger subtype atleast

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Why do you need shapechanger?
    trill in da playground

15. - Top - End - #15

So then, Reincarnate is out huh...

Option 1:You could take levels in Ruathar, a Prestige Class from the Races of the Wild. The third level ability of it increases your age categories by 50%. It doesn't drop you back a category, but it will increase your lifespan. I know it's not immortality, but it's better than nothing, and would give your character longer to work out how to live forever.

Option 2: Pick up two Powerstones of True Mind Switch, a level 9 Psionic Power. Use UMD to activate the Powerstone, and switch bodies twice. The first time, with another Changeling. The second time, with whatever you like. Then, commit suicide. Your consciousness will return to the Changeling that you inhabited previously, whilst his consciousness is stuck in your old body. You then kill him, and your original body is now gone and you cannot be returned to it, and its loss will not affect you. Again, this won't make you immortal, but it will reset your age to whatever the age of the changeling that you took over was.

These two options can be combined, and thereafter whenever you get too old, you pick up another two powerstones of True Mind Switch, and go again. Evil, yes, but you did want to live forever and not be an undead...

Extended Life Span (an epic feat) will also be an option to you later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by DareTheRogue View Post
    Ah but you see the problem is MY DM IS WILL TAKE AWAY THE ABILITIES!!! I have to keep my shapechanger subtype atleast
    I think there are magic items to substitute any race for the purpose of abilities. Or you could always sire a child and then swap minds permanently with him. He'd be at least half-shapechanger, and still count for abilities.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I think there are magic items to substitute any race for the purpose of abilities. Or you could always sire a child and then swap minds permanently with him. He'd be at least half-shapechanger, and still count for abilities.
    God that's EVIL!

But FANTASTICALLY AWESOME!!

I can see that being a BBEG's plan for immortality... sire a child every 40 or so years, then when it hits 20-ish, steal its body. Perfect.

Especially if the kid is treated poorly and knows his only reason for existing is to prolong Daddy's life.

18. - Top - End - #18

Nobody's mentioned a Killoren yet... everyone forgets them when thinking of LA +0 Immortal races.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

They have mentioned it and as stated I am already a Changling and stuck as one

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

The only problem would be if his child had scores like:

You could also try to extend your lifespan by hiring a thrallherd to mass mindcontrol people, then get them to worship you as a god.
    trill in da playground

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nevermind that all I got 1 finally, DM will let me go Elemental savant early. just so I do not drop my character because he died of old age.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

That works but.... Where's the fun in that?
    trill in da playground

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Step 1: Use a scroll of Moment of Prescience.
    Step 2: Use a scroll of Shapechange.
    Step 3: Use a scroll of gate to gate in a Solar.
    Step 4: Order the Solar to use Wish to transport a 20 year old ECL 1 changeling to you.
    Step 5: Knock the kid unconscious.
    Step 6: Use a Shard of UPD +10 and MoP to activate a power stone of True Mind Switch (make sure you have at least 6 ranks from other stuff so you can't fail).

There, you are in a new body.

There is also a spell from the Book of Vile Darkness that can take years off your life.

And if you want to be real nasty then find the strongest/fastest/most healthy changeling and switch places with it (so you get its physical scores).
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I find it kind of funny you want to use a solar for something that's inderectly evil.
    trill in da playground

25. - Top - End - #25

I find it kind of funny you want to use a solar for something that's inderectly evil.
    Use a Effertie then. You can even use it to wish up a scroll of gate and (arguably) the power stone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

26. - Top - End - #26

Meh, the Solar doesn't know what you want the kid for, and he has better things do do.

Besides, it's for the "greater good". The kid wasn't likely to amount to anything, but as a PC, you can be a hero! Stop bad people and stuff!

Edit: Hm.. perhaps one could have a contract with a prison in a Changeling country: At the PC's whim, he can pick a death-row inmate with whom to mindswap.

That way, the guy was already gonna die, and you can keep being awesome!
    Last edited by Vexxation; 2008-08-24 at 10:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

When you mindswap, you keep class levels and mental scores, right? Because levels are from actuall experiance, and mental scores, are well, the mind.
    trill in da playground

28. - Top - End - #28

When you mindswap, you keep class levels and mental scores, right? Because levels are from actuall experiance, and mental scores, are well, the mind.
    Yeah, all you loose with True Mind Switch are your physical scores (you get the guy who you switch withs scores instead).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rei_Jin View Post
    Option 2: Pick up two Powerstones of True Mind Switch, a level 9 Psionic Power. Use UMD to activate the Powerstone, and switch bodies twice. The first time, with another Changeling. The second time, with whatever you like. Then, commit suicide. Your consciousness will return to the Changeling that you inhabited previously, whilst his consciousness is stuck in your old body. You then kill him, and your original body is now gone and you cannot be returned to it, and its loss will not affect you. Again, this won't make you immortal, but it will reset your age to whatever the age of the changeling that you took over was.
    The problem with this plan is:

Quote Originally Posted by D20 SRD
    If the subject’s body dies while you are in it, you are dead. The subject immediately loses one level, but otherwise survives the experience in your natural body. If your natural body dies while the subject is in it, you immediately lose one level, but you likewise survive the experience in your new body.
    If you commit suicide, you'll just be dead, and your victim will lose a level but, otherwise, just be chilling in your old body. Not so useful for immortality purposes.

30. - Top - End - #30

Start a quest for the fountain of eternal youth