New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota anyone?

1. - Top - End - #241
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Dota anyone?

Finally, an Admiral nerf :P

Haven't had time to try 6.56 yet though.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mathieumg View Post
    Finally, an Admiral nerf :P

Haven't had time to try 6.56 yet though.
    Thank god. Glad Icefrog came to his senses... now if only he fixed the terrain...

Quote Originally Posted by shadowxknight View Post
    With the recent nerf to Aegis, SK's ult is now better than ever.
    It gives a free Aegis every few minutes.
    I highly agree. Aegis nerf is a little wrong. IMO: Aegis should last however long it takes for you to die. Roshan should get stronger as game progresses... probably starting after 5 minutes. One shouldn't be able to carry multiple Aegis... but it should be passable. You've earned the aegis by killing roshan...why in the world should you lose it for staying alive?
    Last edited by EndlessWrath; 2008-10-13 at 07:01 PM.
    "If you can, then do. If you cannot, then find a way so you can."
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

3. - Top - End - #243

With the Aegis nerf I can imagine there'd be more Roshan fights, which opens up for more pushing by the other team and more ganks. I mean, I liked Aegis better before too, but I can see why they'd change it.

4. - Top - End - #244

I might be interested in doing this sometime... I warn you all though, that I'm incredibly bad and the only character I ever managed to do decently with (that I remember) was Rooftrellen. Rockin' tree dude.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    I might be interested in doing this sometime... I warn you all though, that I'm incredibly bad and the only character I ever managed to do decently with (that I remember) was Rooftrellen. Rockin' tree dude.
    He's pretty good. And I'd like to point out... Don't be afraid to try this game...especially with us. Many players don't want to deal with noobs...but I got something to tell you...

We were all noobs at some point.

And hey...where else will you get some good practice than practicing with experienced friends rather than try to work it out on a noobs only game...

Some things just need to be taught. Feel free to ask build/strategy/suggestions as much as you want. You'll probably get a lot of opinions on a few builds...which is good. You need to get a large amount of P.o.Vs on the subject before choosing...some even take experimenting.

----------------
    I suggest learning Vengeful spirit, or Trying me and my buddies options with treant/hero combos.
    laning Treant + ursa is a good combo.. with the earth pound that Ursa has... you can ignore a level or two in the orb for bonus chasing. Invis both, ursa walks...earthpounds (or whatever its called) root attacks... if it seems like he'll get away... ult. even then I'd be hesitant to use it on only 2 or more heroes... but its always circumstantial.
    Ursa/ Tide. Double ult. Wow... can you believe how quick you just stopped a multi hero push? just make sure to ult in moderation. i.e. you don't want to ult at the same time...the disable won't do a lot. You need optimum timing...but it should come quickly. Main key is communication, which is another good reason to play with friends. Friends (playgrounders/any ih crew) are easier to work with then pubbies... because pubbies (even those who are ih and you're just not in the ih) don't take other pubbies seriously... even if they're good tactical commanders (I'm better strategy than I am at dota =/ It's saddening when it just doesn't work out)

Finally. I'd suggest if you start out and do some pubby games... play some heroes everyone knows builds for...and are easy to do well with. So when you ask for a good item build... its quick to answer. BH, Ursa, and many more are really good for this.

Good luck. give us a s/n and I'll post it on the OP list.
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

6. - Top - End - #246

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know my SN when I finally find my CDs and reinstall, heh.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

I happen to play DotA alot, but for some reason I've never played with you guys...

8. - Top - End - #248

Then feel free to join us on Wednesday (tomorrow) sessions! We meet in channel hunt in USEast around 4 MST (6 EST)
    Cynan

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

I live in a UTC+2 zone. When would this be for me? 6 am? I might be up for a few hours of gaming before school, if you're still playing at around 8 am.

I might have the time system all mixed up though, since it's Wednesday afternoon here right now...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

EST=UTC-5.
    So 6 pm EST is 1 am for you.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    EST=UTC-5.
    So 6 pm EST is 1 am for you.
    Ok, so maybe not.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay so today is the session 6 EST.
    WinterWind are you planning on joining us for a game or two?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legoshrimp View Post
    Okay so today is the session 6 EST.
    WinterWind are you planning on joining us for a game or two?
    No; while I find this thread sufficiently interesting to read it, I have no incentive to add yet another competitive game to my list - with StarCraft and WarCraft melee, I already have two to master, two I value more and find more interesting.
    Besides, today in particular, I am way too busy fighting my severe lack of sleep to attempt fighting the Sentinel.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

14. - Top - End - #254

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    rather than try to work it out on a noobs only game..
    Especially since you may end up with all but noobs in such a game, experienced people that want to get some laughs out of noob bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I am way too busy fighting my severe lack of sleep to attempt fighting the Sentinel.
    Then fight the Scourge

I will attempt to be there tonight, but I cannot guarantee anything.
    Last edited by mathieumg; 2008-10-15 at 04:56 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Its 3:20 and no one is online.

Where are you people?

Edit: forgot to say that it was PST. its 3:20 GMT-7
    Last edited by Legoshrimp; 2008-10-15 at 05:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by mathieumg View Post
    Especially since you may end up with all but noobs in such a game, experienced people that want to get some laughs out of noob bashing.
    Perhaps.. and then some (myself) go to try out a new hero I've never played before. (There are plenty... trust me..) of even heroes that I'm not very good with or just beginning. I started Krobe in a noobs game.. and now she's my favorite Intel hero (well..except Invoker of course)
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWrath View Post
    Perhaps.. and then some (myself) go to try out a new hero I've never played before. (There are plenty... trust me..) of even heroes that I'm not very good with or just beginning. I started Krobe in a noobs game.. and now she's my favorite Intel hero (well..except Invoker of course)
    Puck is delicious. He happens to be mine, largely because he is one of the best gankers in the game.

18. - Top - End - #258

PirateGuy

I will most likely be there tonight for some exciting DotA games!

19. - Top - End - #259

PirateGuy

I have a cocktail tonight, then I have to study an exam, I'm not sure if I will be able to make it, and if I do it will probably be for only one game.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

Any asian gamers? Im at +8 gmt. The game is not installed on my new comp, but if there is enough players, ill reconsider installing it. Mostly play at the local internet cafes. no lag ^_^ (1km square, has estimated a minimum of 1000 pcs in the internet cafes.)

Anyway, for new players, I tend to give the following advice:

Try out 3 diffrent heros. 2 str, 2 agi and 2 int heros. Learn them well. They will form your base of knowedge.

Learn to count! Learn to count the seconds untill your stun wears off, learn to count your mana quickly, learn to count your damage(physical or magical) relative to their life.
    Advanced counting are being able to look at their items, count your DoT(damage over time) spells against their estimate hp regen, counting how long they have been missing(more a feel for me). Examples are like how long a early game dead hero will be missing(10 secs for revival and item buying, x seconds of walking back) or how long they have gone from their lane (estimated time to walk to another lane).
    Do this with less than 1 sec lag and you will do fine.

Good starting heros are: (with reasons to choose em)
    Sven/SK - Reliable single unit stun, nice damage.
    Centaur/Sladar - Tanking heros, good attackers/initiators. Pratice aoe stuns(reach and casting time timing)
    Lion,Rasta - Good amount of disables, requires you to count mana, hard to die cos of disables.
    Lina, kotl - Pratice speed farming with them, aoe casting, etc.
    AM,qop - Pratice blinking and its cd, generally fun heros.
    Drow/Bone - can be good gankers, also pratice aoe targeting with silence. Try and use the shortcut instead of the auto-fire if possible.

and so on so forth. Lion was one of my earlier heros, and i learnt counting mana and stun time, along with damage vs hp from him. NA is another one.

I prefer to know a few heros, and pratice them untill im good (sense of accomplishment) and from there, learn more heros bit by bit. Learning so many at one time, makes you have to remember more than 70 heros and loads of item builds. Learn 6, from there expand your knowedge and skills.

Btw, shoutout to any DP.com members!

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Everyone here's on USEast?

I'm also in Asia, like Zavia, and I've found that west coast hosts are typically the best.

Does anyone here use garena? It seems to help reduce delay.

I'd say that any hero with windwalk is a good starting hero - it lets you survive if you misjudge a situation, and that means less time dead.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm on US: West actually.

23. - Top - End - #263

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bdares View Post
    I'd say that any hero with windwalk is a good starting hero - it lets you survive if you misjudge a situation, and that means less time dead.
    Until they get wards/gem/dust :p

6.57 out by the way!

-Decreased Clockwerk's Intelligence gain slightly
    -Increased Hookshot manacost from 125 to 150
    -Improved Windrunner cooldown
    -Lowered Admiral Proudmoore's base Intelligence and intelligence gain
    -Decreased X Marks The Spot duration
    -Added manacost to manual return ability of X Marks The Spot
    -Increased Ghost Ship's manacost

That pretty much sums it up =P

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

Ahhh, i used to remember a time when i would memorize all the changelogs. Been a while since i went thru a changelog thoroughly

Other notable changes
    * Your Circle of Power now has 6 inventory slots. The items it has are now abilities instead. You cannot pickup items that you don't own with Circle of Power << hell yes
    * Scaled the cooldown on Eclipse from 140 seconds for all levels to 160/150/140 seconds
    * Increased Rhasta's base strength
    * Slightly improved Shackleshot duration and cd
    * Improved Mass Serpent Wards' cooldown (when they say improved, i always wonder, improved as in increase or decrease?)
    * Minor improvements to Glyph of Fortification (i use it a lot)
    * Courier now costs 200 gold
    * Lowered Lycan's Wolves Hitpoints
    * Lowered base armor on Lycan and his wolves by 2 (they were imba imo)
    * Improved Aphotic Shield's life from 100/125/150/175 to 110/140/170/200

Question:
    * Undid the previous minimap change due to concerns from different leagues
    Someone point me in the direction of related discussions pls.

25. - Top - End - #265

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zavia/GenX View Post
    * Improved Mass Serpent Wards' cooldown (when they say improved, i always wonder, improved as in increase or decrease?)
    I'm pretty sure they mean increased the duration and decreased the cooldown. (So overall it is an improvement)

26. - Top - End - #266

* Lowered Lycan's Wolves Hitpoints
    * Lowered base armor on Lycan and his wolves by 2 (they were imba imo)
    I remember the good old days... Whe lycan's wolves were broken... Yay for perma crit and bash! nowadays i actually have to go to ulti-mode before people begin to run away. *sadface*

Question:
    * Undid the previous minimap change due to concerns from different leagues
    Someone point me in the direction of related discussions pls.
    not sure on this one...not really sure what your question is. although I'm not such a competitive dota player in the first place, so it my just be me. please gimme a hand, reform it to a question. please and thank you.

~Wrath
    Spoiler
    Show

LGBTiTP Supporter
    Swain Avatar by Zefir

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, the non-competitiveness would explain why you think Lycan was better back then then he is now. The wolves do much more damage now instead of bashing. Making Lycan a much more effective ganker.

I'm glad they lowered the power of those wolves. Two of them have the power to just walk into a lane and start decimating a hero. They can also easily farm for Lycan while he's off doing something else.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Pixie in the Playground

@mathieumg
    I know, but y doesnt he just say it decreased or increase?
    Improvement implies positive change. Is it positive change for the Rasta player or Rasta hater? Oh well.

@EndlessWrath
    The "different leagues" would have voiced their concerns somewhere, either via their own forums, DA.com 's forums, or something.
    So, im looking for where they raised their objections.

@Poison_Fish
    true. My friend showd me how a basilus + tango lycan can farm as effective as a hero in a shared lane from level one onwards. Basically, your team will have two solo heros then. I thought him the way of the entangaling syllabear(the build doesn't work anymore)

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

"(1km square, has estimated a minimum of 1000 pcs in the internet cafes.)"

I am so jealous... my game cafe only has some 60 PCs... and my schooling times makings nigh impossible to get in a good DotA game... so I can only play a lot during the holidays.

And yes, if you hadn't figured out, I live in Asia. But, like many asian dwelling people, have horrid 'net speed, so online gaming is nigh impossible (my bro tried to play dota online once... it didn't work so well... -_-).

I'm not that amazing. I can hold my own in the cafe. Though some of the people there... are idiots. (last hitting and denying, something I try to do are not that high on there list for some strange reason).

My favorite hero? No clue...

30. - Top - End - #270
    Pixie in the Playground

Yea, well, my area has 3 colleges, a few high schools and what not all within 10-15 minutes of the area. Its considered a "student" area, where your primary business will come from students, followed by businesspeople, and finally residents.

The one i currenty frequent is a (some what) new one that has 2 stories (a building built over a carpark), 400 pc cafe. It was more strategicly placed, forcing some others to close who are further off. My old fav cafe, about 70+ pc, 2 story shoplot, is still there tho. Best cafe imo, but 400 pc garuntees you a LAN game everytime, for any game.

I think in asia, one of the major reasons we dont always get original (i can access bnet in my hse, no worries) is cos we dont usually game online due to sad internet connections. That and the power of bad exchange rates + low income.
    I stopped bnetting for a long time. Lan > Net.
    Even my Guild wars is left alone, my character at lv 12. Anyone wana buy? :D
    Last edited by Zavia/GenX; 2008-11-18 at 02:00 AM.