New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: AdvertureQuest

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: AdvertureQuest

So who thinks the typo in the thread title was a Freudian slip?
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

It shows that I thought of a accounting game.
    Nervous Worm by ME!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Con Bar by Dorion Soth

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deadplayer View Post
    So who plays adventure quest? I am a guardian on AQ. If you have no idea what AQ is: www.battleon.com.
    It fun for a day or so but it is hard(or at least it used to be, haven't played for a while) to get into the server and it's frankly not worth the time.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Adventure Quest sucks. If for no other reason than the fact that they used a legal loophole to steal the name from AQ Jaern, a system that's been around for 30 years and is better in every way than D&D.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I used to play it when it was still a simple game that you could play on lunch breaks and stuff. But that was many years ago.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It's a trap!

The gameplay is lame on the free part - you'd be better of playing one of the nifty free MUDs that are out there (Achaea is my favorite, though Iron Realms has some other neat ones). MechQuest is a double-trap.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

7. - Top - End - #7

....Shouldn't this go in the Media board or something? Not complaining, just wondering.

On topic, I use to play AQ a lot, as well as Dragon Fable, but then I realized: Each fight is almost exactly the same as the last... Exploit element advantage X, wear armour Y, use sword Z, etcetera. To make it worse, the monsters get stronger at the same rate as you it would seem (at least with some places), so that if I can't beat the dungeon of dark then I just can't beat it. Worst of all, I find, is the fact you have to pay gold to level up your stats, THEN you have to succeed a difficult challenge against the trainer on top of losing your cash--I mean, how am I meant to make enough gold to level up my stats as well as buy new equipment form the expensive shops, considering the fact I often earn more EXP than Gold?
    I could have ignored all this if the game had a compelling story, but... I liked the Frogzard quests, it gave promise for good jokes and a light-mood for the game. When I played the other quests, though, I found that they were often: Pun -- Character does something to make him look stupid or cowardly -- You fight monsters with pun-names -- Another pun in the cut-scene thereafter -- a different character is stupid or a coward -- You fight more monsters -- Third pun -- You meet the evil king of evil (after fighting several more tedious encounters), who's so stereotypical and pathetic that you can't take him seriously nor care about him and his plot -- HE makes MORE puns -- You fight and win indefinitely or lose by the skin of your teeth -- More puns assault you as the quest comes to an end, and you gain a trivial reward."

Puns and characters acting stupid was fun the first fifty times.... Now, as the count reaches 487, it's the second circle of hell.......
    My Happy Song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRj9lQDVGY
    Credit goes to Lord_Herman for the fantastic Joseph avatar (and the also fantastic Kremle avatar which I can't use because I'm already using the Joseph one).

8. - Top - End - #8

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Adventure Quest sucks. If for no other reason than the fact that they used a legal loophole to steal the name from AQ Jaern, a system that's been around for 30 years and is better in every way than D&D.
    I've downloaded the pdf from your link and although I haven't read much yet I already like it, soulless elves!
    I must also note however that the roll for race seems like it could take quite a bit of rolling if you roll halfbreed and keep rolling human(1-14 on a d20).
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix_of_Doom View Post
    I've downloaded the pdf from your link and although I haven't read much yet I already like it, soulless elves!
    I must also note however that the roll for race seems like it could take quite a bit of rolling if you roll halfbreed and keep rolling human(1-14 on a d20).
    Yes, they did fun stuff to elves. The race can take a while, but it's much faster still than just choosing a class in 3.x.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I used to play AQ, and it's really good for a first try by a game maker. But they've added a LOT of stuff that the game just wasn't designed to support, and as such had to be kludged in (I'm looking at you, classes!), which really starts to show the more they put in. And ultimately, I stopped bothering trying to play it when I got fed up with waiting so damn long to get logged in.

I've really been enjoying DragonFable though, and even have a Dragon Amulet (DF's equivalent of Guardianship). It takes a lot of what AQ has been trying to do and implements it from the ground up. Stuff like character classes and walkaround quests are fundamental aspects of the game, so unlike AQ, they actually work, and work well. Also, you get to ride a dragon.

MechQuest is...meh. It's not that bad, I guess, but half of it isn't even in yet and the other half is spectacularly unimpressive. It's alright for a change of pace from DF, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2008-08-26 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!