New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Were first edition monks better?

I had always thought that monks were cool, and the best class in the game. Untill I had gazed upon a thread that pointed out all the flaws of the monk and I had realized that my DMs had always built the adventures around me, so that to balence the monk.

So what I want to know is how long my DMs have been lying to me about my usefulness as a monk. I've never played the second edition but had played the first quite a bit. So, if anybody can remember those glorious days of simplicity, please tell me: have monks have ever been good?
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2008-08-26 at 03:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Were first edition monks better?

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post
    I had always thought that monks were cool, and the best class in the game. Untill I had gazed upon a thread that pointed out all the flaws of the monk and I had realized that my DMs had always built the adventures around me, so that to balence the monk.

So what I want to know is how long my DMs have been lying to me about my usefulness as a monk. I've never played the second edition but had played the first quite a bit. So, if anybody can remember those glorious days of simplicity, please tell me: have monks have ever been good?
    I've never played in 1st edition, so, I can't actually answer your question. But, I need to ask: Simplicity? Isn't that the edition where individual weapons have bonuses and negatives against each other?
    Check out a bunch of stuff I wrote for my campaign world of Oz.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am the Burley, formerly known as Burley Warlock. I got my name changed. Please remember me...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_Q View Post

I know that they where cosmically overpowered in Baldurs Gate II on higher levels.

Dunno how much BG II is bounded with 2ed.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

At low levels they suck quite hard (but probably not as bad as the D20 Monk). At high levels they are a lot better.

They are not magicians, though, high level spell casters are pretty powerful in AD&D (even if not as stupidly powerful as in D20).
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-08-26 at 04:00 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    I know that they where cosmically overpowered in Baldurs Gate II on higher levels.

Monks also prod large amounts of buttocks in Neverwinter Nights and NWN2, which are based on 3.0 and 3.5. Videogame adaptations often don't work quite the same way as the original.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

That has several reasons in 2E:
    You gain immunity to non-magical weapons, MR (which is better than SR I thought personally), and their bab wasn't that far behind the Fighter (they were almost if not full BAB).

Plus, their AC was decent (since AC rarely went above -10, since that was supposed to be the limit).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    That has several reasons in 2E:
    You gain immunity to non-magical weapons, MR (which is better than SR I thought personally), and their bab wasn't that far behind the Fighter (they were almost if not full BAB).

Plus, their AC was decent (since AC rarely went above -10, since that was supposed to be the limit).
    Well, I gained AC of - 13 in BG II, and I could gain a little better one, but at least in BG II it doesn't really matter, both monsters and PC on high levels have so ridiculously low THAC0 that 90 - 95% of strikes were succesful anyway.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I am specifically referring to the first Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I doubt I have played any of the other things you guys are mentioning.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I gained AC of - 13 in BG II, and I could gain a little better one, but at least in BG II it doesn't really matter, both monsters and PC on high levels have so ridiculously low THAC0 that 90 - 95% of strikes were succesful anyway.
    -13? Wow. I routinely got -20 or lower. Anyway, Monks in BG2 weren't even that amazing (unarmed damage just wasn't good enough).

However, I seem to recall actual AD&D monks being teh hax if you could be one (damn stat dependencies!).

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    However, I seem to recall actual AD&D monks being teh hax if you could be one (damn stat dependencies!).

-argus
    I am afraid I do not know what "teh hax" means. Could you explain it further?
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

My apologies. It's internet slang for, "really freaking amazing" or some-such.

Basically, I remember that, much like Paladins, it was incredibly difficult to become a Monk in AD&D, but if you could, you got a myriad of powerful abilities and bonuses, like high Magic Resistance, strong attacks, a very low AC, etc.

-argus

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Last edited by infinitypanda; 2008-08-26 at 04:58 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you. And no need to apologize. I simpily have no idea what everybody is saying these days due to the fact I do not get out much.

Since I remember I had some pretty great stats, my mind is at rest. Thanks again.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    -13? Wow. I routinely got -20 or lower. Anyway, Monks in BG2 weren't even that amazing (unarmed damage just wasn't good enough).
    Well, - 6 armor + some stuff for - 8, plus dunno what 25 Dexteruty was worth? Let's assume - 8, plus with some good tower shield it indeed could be 20 or lower... Or are you thinking some Kensai or other subclasses?

But constant 25 Dex isn't that easy and shield figthing wasn't that good.

Anyway, monk I did easily beat the crap out of Sarevok, and there is no better fighter than this guy probably....
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2008-08-26 at 05:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Griffon

Well, - 6 armor + some stuff for - 8, plus dunno what 25 Dexteruty was worth? Let's assume - 8, plus with some good tower shield it indeed could be 20 or lower...

Anyway, monk I did easily beat the crap out of Sarevok, and there is no better fighter than this guy probably....
    I think this is your problem, you are playing Baldur's gate I.

In two level ascends much higher and gear is much better. You could easily get armor with a base AC of -4-5, add in Dex 18 to get another -3 or -4, then you got ring of protection +3, a Ring of Gaxx, a shield that reduces it further by about 7-8. Cloak of protection? Did that stack? Cloak of the Sewers did,that was -1, Helm of Baluran was another -1. So many different things to lower AC, theoretically you could even have a defending weapon.

And that's not even going into Throne of Bhaal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Well, - 6 armor + some stuff for - 8, plus dunno what 25 Dexteruty was worth? Let's assume - 8, plus with some good tower shield it indeed could be 20 or lower...

Nah, it's actually physically capped at -10. Some game masters released the cap, some didn't. I think Baldur's Gate did.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2008-08-26 at 05:12 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akimbo View Post
    I think this is your problem, you are playing Baldur's gate I.

In two level ascends much higher and gear is much better. You could easily get armor with a base AC of -4-5, add in Dex 18 to get another -3 or -4, then you got ring of protection +3, a Ring of Gaxx, a shield that reduces it further by about 7-8. Cloak of protection? Did that stack? Cloak of the Sewers did,that was -1, Helm of Baluran was another -1. So many different things to lower AC, theoretically you could even have a defending weapon.

And that's not even going into Throne of Bhaal
    Ugh, we were talking about BG II here. Not to mention why playing BG I should be my problem it was great game as well.

Cloak of protection and rings don't stack with magical armor in BG II.

Best defending weapons in BGII were adding - 2, I think. And indeed, with shield it's indeed possible, but I haven't used them with most characters.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2008-08-26 at 05:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Some of the BGII armours were bugged. Magical bonuses from Armour, Rings, and Cloaks conventionally do not stack in AD&D.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Some of the BGII armours were bugged. Magical bonuses from Armour, Rings, and Cloaks conventionally do not stack in AD&D.
    Well, most of them doesn't stack. They certainly were some bugged ones, I've never tried, as I've never played BGII just to optimize to hell, especially considering that raising your AC at all cost wasn't really good choice in BGII.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I was under the impression that rings stacked with everything.

and, displacement activity or break?

Edit.. Oh and 1e monks sucked pretty hard at low level Matt, possibly even on a par with the 3e variety.
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-08-26 at 05:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

1st edition monks were crippled in a couple regards.

1) All required obscenely high stats, but gained no benefit from Strength or Dex.
    2) Low HD. While they started with 2D4, they were still D4s; at 1st level, they had HP equal to a druid or cleric (not ranger; they had 2D8), but without the armor options.
    3) Open-Handed fighting was a low-level trap. It could be useful sometimes, but that extra 1 attack every 4 rounds wasn't worth it.

They had some things going for them, however.

1) Fastest WP progression. While they didn't have the best list to choose from, they got them very fast.
    2) +1/2 HP of damage per level when using weapons. A 2nd level monk added 1 point every time he did damage with a weapon. +2 at 4th level, +8 at 16th level.
    3) Wide variety of skills. They weren't as good as a thief, but they had a good number of skills, making them decent scouts (when you ignore the HP problem).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post

No, I clearly remember a text explaining that I can't use this cause I'm using other magical items.

Dunno how it was in English, but it showed up when I tried to wear + 1 or better ring, while wearing any +1 or better armor.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Warlock View Post
    I've never played in 1st edition, so, I can't actually answer your question. But, I need to ask: Simplicity? Isn't that the edition where individual weapons have bonuses and negatives against each other?
    Optional rule. A fun optional rule, but optional all the same (and it's against armours, not other weapons).

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

In 1e it's unclear. In 2e it's clear. We're talking BG here.

Edit.. Oh and 1e monks sucked pretty hard at low level Matt, possibly even on a par with the 3e variety.
    Indeedy, I said so, I believe.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Aha... so you did... I think my brains going soft.
    I haven't played BG in a long old while.
    Hey didn't rings add to your saves as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Aha... so you did... I think my brains going soft.
    I haven't played BG in a long old while.
    Hey didn't rings add to your saves as well?
    Yup, I think cloaks and armour do too, but I don't pay that much attention (my magic items tend to be tailored to the game). Maybe I will go look it up...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

No, I clearly remember a text explaining that I can't use this cause I'm using other magical items.

Dunno how it was in English, but it showed up when I tried to wear + 1 or better ring, while wearing any +1 or better armor.
    In BG 2: Certains rings stacked: Ring of Earth Control (+1 AC, stone to Flesh 1/day, and 1/day Charm Golem with no save bonus so more like Dire Charm) Stacked with everything.

Protection Rings didn't stack with most Magic armors (there are few ones that funny enough worked) nor Cloaks of protection.

Some armors (I forgot which) apparently gave +2 AC but didn't register as magic because they worked.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Optional rule. A fun optional rule, but optional all the same (and it's against armours, not other weapons).
    They really had a rule for that? Man, the more I hear about earlier editions of D&D, the more I think the newer ones suck.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-08-26 at 05:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently, a Cloak of Protection will function with a Ring of Protection, but will not function if metal armour or magical armour is worn, nor if a shield is carried. Never knew that. Magical Armour and Shields improve armour class, but not saving throws.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BG II has a pretty low difficulty curve and got much easier as you went through it. BG II monks aren't too bad in the sense that they can beat up monsters without much trouble, but that's more because the monsters are weak and keep getting weaker. They can't hold a candle to BG II spellcasters (mainly because most of their kickass abilities don't interact nicely with magic items, and simply because the ability to hit things only goes so far); BG II spellcasting isn't quite as broken as 3.0/3.5, but it is pretty darn broken.

A sorcerer can solo the entire thing with no party (so can wizards and some of the thief subclasses, although the thieves are very reliant on using magic scrolls), and it's not even very hard. For a challenge, a sorcerer can solo the entire game without touching a single item except plot items.
    Avatar: Baron Blood by Uncle Festy.