Level: Sor/Wiz 9
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting time: One standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: one creature
    Duration: Permanent
    Saving Throw: Will partial (see text)
    SR: Yes
    Somewhere, there's a man. He doesn't want to be where he is. There's no place he'd rather be less. This man is suffering. But inevitably, he starts to get used to it. He becomes calm enough to distance himself from his misery, just a little. And without meaning to, he thinks of a place he'd rather be less. A place which can hurt him in ways he's not currently being hurt. Whether it's a few feet away or in another horrible universe, he's glad he's where he is, and not there. This is just a fleeting though. But then he's there. And he'll stay there until he thinks of a place he'd rather be less.
    On a failed will save, this spell condemns the target to eternal misery. It does this with several effects. First, the target is rendered completely unable to take actions of any sort, except to think (but this does not permit casting spells, manifesting powers, or taking any other action of any kind). Second, the target is rendered completely conscious for the duration of the spell. Third, the target is rendered unkillable for the duration of the spell (damage accrues, and injury is still afflicted - the target feels everything, but can't die while the spell lasts). Fourth, the target is instantly whisked away to the place the target least wants to be. Finally, whenever the target thinks of a place he'd rather be less (no matter how fleetingly), he is instantly transported there, regardless of local conditions. In practical terms, the target is never seen again. The spell cannot be dispelled, but Disjunction will take it down with an opposed caster level check. Not even a Wish or Miracle can retrieve the subject while the spell is in effect, but a Wish or a "powerful request" miracle will specify where the subject will be in one round.

On a successful save, the target is merely moved to a random plane, but otherwise not inconvenienced.

Focus: some form of woven material (which must be worn by the subject), and a scarf.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2008-08-28 at 05:40 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: There are things worse than death [3.5] [Spell]

Cheerful. I guess it's fairly balanced, considering Imprisonment does about the same thing. Is there any way for others to determine exactly where the spell took the victim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Divination, I'd assume

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Wonderful flavor text, for starts. Considering the effect, I would suggest a dual school spell, with Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] being the other half. This makes up for the following text.

Not even a Wish or Miracle can retrieve the subject while the spell is in effect, but a Wish or a "powerful request" miracle will specify where the subject will be in one round.
    Now I know 9th level spells are supposed to be powerful, but I think this is a little much. However, making it Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] like stated above would allow it to be more easily resisted and possibly bump it to a 8th level spell, perhaps even a 7th.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

That is a spell that really NEEDED to get made, because that is a really memorable effect from that comic. And your instantiation seems OK I guess... might be a bit overpowered compared to "Trap The Soul", but maybe not. The only real gripe I have is that I think you might be thinking a little too mechanistically with the focus...
    Spoiler for "Zebra Girl" follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...it was only because it was TECHNICALLY Jack's seal that the trick worked... In D&D terms this would translate to the target having to have the same symbol on them or something they were VOLUNTARILY carrying that the caster's "Arcane Mark" would produce... which also goes a good way to keeping power level down. If you decide it is about balanced as it currently stands then remove the "voluntary" clause and MAYBE remove the SR OR Save (not both). Remember that Jack would have been HOSED by his own admission if not for that technicality.
    And BTW, here is the LINK to the comic where the spell is actually started. It finishes in the first few panels of the next page.
    And HERE is one where we see some of its effects reported.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I love this. Great concept and fluff. Kudos.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Cheerful. I guess it's fairly balanced, considering Imprisonment does about the same thing. Is there any way for others to determine exactly where the spell took the victim?
    Quote Originally Posted by weishan View Post
    Divination, I'd assume
    It doesn't stop Divinations - but 99% of divinations in D&D tell you about Now - there's a pretty good chance that the divination you just did takes you to a horrible place he just vacated - wouldn't that be annoying? Theoretically, he could be at a given locale for a long time ("an unprecedented three straight weeks on fire") but you can't rely on that as it's essentially DM whimsey. To make certain it's possible to undo, I included that a Wish or Powerful Request Miracle (both 5,000 xp) specifically tell you where he will be in 1 round. This lets you plane shift to the astral, locate him, gate to him, and Disjoin the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade View Post
    Wonderful flavor text, for starts. Considering the effect, I would suggest a dual school spell, with Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] being the other half. This makes up for the following text.

Now I know 9th level spells are supposed to be powerful, but I think this is a little much. However, making it Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] like stated above would allow it to be more easily resisted and possibly bump it to a 8th level spell, perhaps even a 7th.
    A Dual-school spell makes it easier to pump the save DC - as two sets of Spell Focus feats apply. Plus I don't particularly care for the "absolute counter" nature of Mind Blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    That is a spell that really NEEDED to get made, because that is a really memorable effect from that comic. And your instantiation seems OK I guess... might be a bit overpowered compared to "Trap The Soul", but maybe not. The only real gripe I have is that I think you might be thinking a little too mechanistically with the focus...
    Spoiler for "Zebra Girl" follows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...it was only because it was TECHNICALLY Jack's seal that the trick worked... In D&D terms this would translate to the target having to have the same symbol on them or something they were VOLUNTARILY carrying that the caster's "Arcane Mark" would produce... which also goes a good way to keeping power level down. If you decide it is about balanced as it currently stands then remove the "voluntary" clause and MAYBE remove the SR OR Save (not both). Remember that Jack would have been HOSED by his own admission if not for that technicality.
    And BTW, here is the LINK to the comic where the spell is actually started. It finishes in the first few panels of the next page.
    And HERE is one where we see some of its effects reported.
    Trap the Soul is 8th level, has an expensive material component, and also gives you a couple of options for controlling outsiders, and reduces the subject to a portable item - which is subject to your own, personal defenses.

This is a level higher (9th, the highest for standard spells), has no expensive component, and while it's very difficult to get someone out of it, the needed method is essentially fixed - a few spells that also have lots of other uses (Plane Shift to the astral for the free Quicken spell, Wish (or Miracle) and Gate in the same round, then Disjoin the spell wherever it happens to be.

Granted, it's marginally stronger than is Imprisonment (ranged rather than touch, a little trickier to undo) but it's really just another variant on save or lose.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

The spell for when just murdering someone is letting them off too easy.

I like it.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The best part about this spell, is that, given the right character, they could stay right where they are.

What's the worst place the uptight wizard can think of being, why, right with the party's annoying bard, listening to him talk and talk and talk and talk. He gets transported to the to the elemental plane of fire, first thing he thinks, "at least I don't have to listen to that annoyin-- Crap."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by DarknessLord View Post
    The best part about this spell, is that, given the right character, they could stay right where they are.

What's the worst place the uptight wizard can think of being, why, right with the party's annoying bard, listening to him talk and talk and talk and talk. He gets transported to the to the elemental plane of fire, first thing he thinks, "at least I don't have to listen to that annoyin-- Crap."
    Wait a second...

Clearly both the Elemental Plane of Fire and the Bard are horrible things to this wizard. If he is only subjected to one of them at a time, then he has at least one thing to be thankful for: not being with the other one.
    Until he realizes that it'd be WAY worse to have both at once!

Would the spell then teleport the Bard to the Elemental Plane of Fire, or what?

Edit: Oops... evidently it's not August anymore.
    Last edited by TwystidMynd; 2008-10-13 at 10:03 AM.