New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4e Illithids

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

4e Illithids

Can a Mind Flayer eat their thralls' brains to heal, and (Opinions:) would it be unfair for a Mastermind to keep non-thrall slaves at hand to heal?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Illithids

I would say that the Mindflayer could eat the brains of it's thralls since they are freed from the dominate effect if the Mindflayer dies i.e. there is still a brain there to be eaten.

As for keeping non-thralls about, I'm not sure why a Mindflayer would want to if it can eat the brains of the Thralls. Personally, I'd say that non-thralls are tastier... or something.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

This was discussed in the Illithid chapter of "Lords of Madness". It seems that mind flayers prefer the more interesting memories and experiences of 'free range' sentients like adventurers to the bland nourishment provided by the minds of 'factory farmed' thralls. Illithids even have a whole culture of performance eating wherein an Illithid gourmet uses psionic amplifiers to share with his peers the delicious, piquant sensations of consuming a rare and sought-after brain.

I don't recall anything about whether Illithids heal more rapidly if they consume particular brains (psionically-capable, from powerful creatures, or whatever). It's an interesting and (no pun intended) flavourful idea though...

@v: Ah right, gotcha. You might want to look at the old 2E "Illithiad" for more on flayer society. It was one of a series of fluffbooks that TSR did for the D&D iconic monsters back in the early-mid '90s. It rocked.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-08-29 at 03:09 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post

I don't recall anything about whether Illithids heal more rapidly if they consume particular brains (psionically-capable, from powerful creatures, or whatever). It's an interesting and (no pun intended) flavourful idea though...
    It's a new ability in 4e. Thanks for the Lords of Madness reference though, I need more background (4e is pretty light on fluff).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Mindflayers go through a very rigorous screening process to determine who becomes a thrall and who gets to be food.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Mindflayers go through a very rigorous screening process to determine who becomes a thrall and who gets to be food.
    Oh, I'm aware and that's more or less all in my campaign. After all, it is the most fluff Wizards has put out about the Illithids.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Of Course They're a symbol Of the Game.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ent View Post
    Oh, I'm aware and that's more or less all in my campaign. After all, it is the most fluff Wizards has put out about the Illithids.
    Dude, I don't follow. You know that video is just for laughs, right?

@V: I always dreamed this moment would come!
    Last edited by FoE; 2008-08-29 at 04:55 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Dude, I don't follow. You know that video is just for laughs, right?
    Excuse me, but Illithids are serious business!
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

From a balance perspective, it might be best if you included counted the slaves the Mindflayer has for emergency healing towards the number of creatures in the encounter. I can't recall exact levels, but you could give them stats as Human Lackeys, or some other appropriate Minion, in case the players decide to start taking them out. That way it isn't just free healing for the Mindflayer.

I'll defer to the judgement of others as to whether it's appropriate fluff-wise.